[PS3 Media Server], a new java based streaming application - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 542 Old 12-10-2008, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ps3 is wired to my wireless access point, i'm not having trouble with any other media server program only this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 542 Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Java PS3 Media Server is very looking like a great piece of software in its initial releases. I can stream my H.264 DTS .mkv files using Mencoder nicely on my core2 system. Great Job.

The only issue I'm having with the software is that when using tsmuxer to stream I am getting steady video but no audio whatsoever for files with DTS audio.

Does anybody else have this problem? I have tried all related options inthe app with no success.
post #93 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
shagrath78,

Check your PM inbox.

Thanx,
Bob
post #94 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwitche View Post

Java PS3 Media Server is very looking like a great piece of software in its initial releases. I can stream my H.264 DTS .mkv files using Mencoder nicely on my core2 system. Great Job.

The only issue I'm having with the software is that when using tsmuxer to stream I am getting steady video but no audio whatsoever for files with DTS audio.

Does anybody else have this problem? I have tried all related options inthe app with no success.

dts conversion with TSMuxer isn't in the current version. I think (hope) it's coming in a future version. I think it's being worked on.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #95 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Has there been any resolution for those of us having issues with the PS3 seeing the media server? I saw a few posts in this thread with people having the same problem I'm having but no resolutions.

The media server starts, can't find a PS3. From the 'trace log' window whenever I have the PS3 search for media servers I see the 'Recieving Search Request' messages but never shows up. My PS3 has no issues with TVersity finding it.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
--Chris
post #96 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Are you running vista? I had the same problem with vista x64 ultimate until I ran the pms.exe as an administator. This only happened with version .99 and not with .98. You might want to give that a try.
post #97 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running XP Pro and my account has admin rights. So that doesn't seem to be the issue. I even upgraded Java today just to be sure but no dice there.

--chris
post #98 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christr View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running XP Pro and my account has admin rights. So that doesn't seem to be the issue. I even upgraded Java today just to be sure but no dice there.

--chris

let me guess

you're on Wifi
post #99 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm currently working with him on it, but in my situation I'm using a router with an access point wired to my ps3 to get the higher bitrates. When I'm using the access point it (ps3mediaserver) can't seem to find the ps3, but when I run the ps3 wireless and no access point I don't seem to have a problem with the program.
post #100 of 542 Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM

There's wifi here but neither the host computer nor the PS3 are using it. They're both connected to the same 100mbps switch.

The PS3 does use it's own internal wifi for connections to my PSP. Not sure how that would interfere.

--Chris
post #101 of 542 Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

The media server starts, can't find a PS3.

Have you just tried it from the computer, or have you looked for the media server from the PS3? I had an issue where my media server wouldn't find the PS3. However, I went to the PS3 and found Java Media Server (or something like that), and the PS3 played videos just fine. I went back to the computer, and PMS could now find the PS3. This is with both the computer (Windows XP Home) and PS3 on wireless G.
post #102 of 542 Old 12-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi Everybody,

I just want to post that it works on my Mac, with Vmware Fusion 2.

As it is "real time", I assume you need fast computer & ethernet connection.

So, I did download XP version, installed it, followed instructions:

B) Using Avisynth/FFDshow. Paired with CoreAVC, it's quite efficient with multi cores.
1- If not already done, get and install a codec pack with ffdshow (VSfilter must be included for subtitles).
My favorite is CCCP Codec Pack
2- Get and install AVISynth 2.5.7 (I've met some framerate problems with 2.5.8 betas)
3- Set up the FFDShow Audio Mixer to 5.1 (3/0/2 LFE)
4- Set "Autoload VS Filter" to true
5- Configure Haali Splitter (audio/subtitles language priorities)

Optional Codecs: CoreAVC is a good choice for H264 decoding, Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative are also useful
(Apple 1080p trailers for example).

After installing all this stuff, RESTART your windows/fusion and try to connect.

My system: MacPro 2x2.8, 8GB ram, Airport Extreme wired to PS3 with Cat6 cable, WMvare fusion with dual core cpu enabled in settings and 2gb of ram.
I stll didn't connect optical cable to my decoder for Dolby/DTS...will do that soon.

Let me know if you need more help with setting it up.

...and don't forget to support author of this amaizing app.

good luck
post #103 of 542 Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
more often than not lately, I'm unable to get the server running and have the icon on my ps3. the odd thing is that according to the traces log, it's running. the status however says ps3 not found and it's not on the xmb either. strange. It worked before.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #104 of 542 Old 12-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Version 1.00 out now and it is now located here along with a new google group.
post #105 of 542 Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 PM

Not sure if the dev is still watching this thread since starting the google group thing, but I installed 1.00 today. Works good, but I'm having an issue with the folder shares I don't think I had on 0.99.
The shares all show up pointing to the root directory of the drives I am sharing, not the specific folder I am telling it to use.
Example - I share x:\\dvd\\ from my server. The PS3 is now just taking me to x:\\ and I have to navigate to the \\dvd\\ subdirectory. I don't think it did that in 0.99. I think it used to take me directly to x:\\dvd\\ as expected. If I remember right, it would just call the share "dvd" (the name of the shared directory) before, but would point to the correct directory.

PS - thank you soo much for giving us a media server that works so well with so little effort. I can now play my dvr-ms, mkv, dvd folders, ..... with no effort.
This is the way this stuff should work!
post #106 of 542 Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM

You overwrote the config file and have to re-do it with each new version that's released; that's why your shares are returned to the default of all drives.
post #107 of 542 Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferraiolo View Post

You overwrote the config file and have to re-do it with each new version that's released; that's why your shares are returned to the default of all drives.

hmm, I did re-do it. At least I think I did. When I copied the new version over the old one I noticed all the shares were gone so I re-created them.
It say my shared folder is x:\\dvd\\ in the config screen. This isn't what the PS3 is taking me to, though. It just takes me to x:\\
It's acting the same for all my shared folders.
post #108 of 542 Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Kind of a streaming newb here, what must I do to my ripped dvds first before I use the media server? Everything I have is currently in audio/video ts folders. Also, I had the same issue as above where I'd have to go all the way to the root directory before I pulled up my music.

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #109 of 542 Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM

I have some of my dvd rips in video ts folders and this program has no trouble with those for me.
post #110 of 542 Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I wasn't able to find a firm answer for this in any of the forums or the FAQs. I want to get an exact description of what happens when streaming an .ISO file. Some DVDs need chapter stops and menus, the Firefly DVD set comes to mind. Will menus and chapter stops work as a normal DVD, or is this still an issue?

Also, it doesn't sound like the subtitles can be turned on and off on the fly or from the PS3 before starting a stream, is this true?

Both of these would be HUGE upgrades if they don't already exist. A product that could do all this would certainly be worth paying for!
post #111 of 542 Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Great program - I have a lowly single cpu athlon and am now handily streaming my recorded HD tv shows (tp / ts using MyHD and HDHomerun) by simply renaming the extensions.

Any easy way to rename the recorded extensions ( I asked about this in another thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2517
post #112 of 542 Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Has there been any resolution for those of us having issues with the PS3 seeing the media server? I saw a few posts in this thread with people having the same problem I'm having but no resolutions.

The media server starts, can't find a PS3. From the 'trace log' window whenever I have the PS3 search for media servers I see the 'Recieving Search Request' messages but never shows up. My PS3 has no issues with TVersity finding it.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
--Chris

Have you made ANY modifications to either of the two .conf files?

if they are malformed you will get the issue that the PS3 can't see it.
If they don't exist, you will get the error that the ps3 can't see it.

Test it with the defaults and see if it works without any modifications.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #113 of 542 Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzdalf View Post

hmm, I did re-do it. At least I think I did. When I copied the new version over the old one I noticed all the shares were gone so I re-created them.
It say my shared folder is x:\\dvd\\ in the config screen. This isn't what the PS3 is taking me to, though. It just takes me to x:\\
It's acting the same for all my shared folders.

Did you try restarting the application?
post #114 of 542 Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
is anyone else using uXM or uSirius with this?

when i try to access a feed, it tries to load every single feed all at once.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #115 of 542 Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I tried out this program last night. It is very well constructed....but i'm still figuring it out.

I guess I assumed that playing an .iso would load the dvd as if normally playing it on a dvd player (menu, etc.), but when I select the .iso I just get the option for the 4 tracks on the dvd, and then select a track. is this normal? If so, it appears that .iso support means that .isos work, but not quite in the sense that I thought....i.e., they aren't really that different than using a videots folder. is that correct? nonetheless, still a great piece of software, thanks for the hard work on this.

on a side note, after playing around for a few hours, i lost the "original" files that are displayed along with the transcoded folder...they aren't displayed any longer. any idea what i did?

EDIT...I see on the previous page that it was confirmed that .iso files will only allow you to choose a video file and not load the entire dvd.....which is fine, it is the same result as using the videots folder, but in a nice simple package. sorry for the question, i thought i read this entire thread, but must have missed that post.
post #116 of 542 Old 12-20-2008, 07:20 AM

What High Def content is anyone streaming? Can you provide some links? Thanks
post #117 of 542 Old 12-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ for latest versions
http://groups.google.com/group/ps3-media-server for support and group discussions

Don't know if the AVS thread will stay updated or not.
post #118 of 542 Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 AM

Some issues. But i have to agree this is an excellent effort. Tversity have not really done much lately so its good to see others are trying hard
post #119 of 542 Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 AM

This is an awesome application - I was happy to make a donation. I have it working on my Mac directly (not in a VM). I had been struggling mightly to get MKVs playing on my new PS3 (I'm not exactly expert with transcoding methods) and this app takes all the hassle out of it.

Since I don't want to have to depend on the real-time transcoding when watching a movie, it would be great if there was a way to use the app as a transcoder/converter for dummies like me who don't want to screw around with a lot of settings/options.

One short-term way to accomplish this that I figured out (I'm sure it is obvious to anyone with more PS3 experience) is that instead of playing a movie, I have the PS3 copy the movie through PS3 Media Server to the local HD. This avoids any real-time glitches with the transcoding and of course gives better seek behavior.

This app does a great job of making my HD-based collection of movies available to my PS3, but it would be awesome to be able to sit in bed with my MacBook and stream movies off my main mac through PS3 Media Server. I tried to get Plex to interact with PS3 Media Server (and for that matter, other UPNP/DLNA servers) but had no luck.

So does anyone know of a UPNP client for the Mac? I suspect there is probably some way to do this with VLC, but no doubt there is no discovery/browse mechanism.

Rob
post #120 of 542 Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Has anybody heard about upcoming/planned support for blu-ray iso support? Basically, it would just need to offer the "transcoded" folder with remuxes of the available audio streams and/or subtitles along with each video stream...correct? I say "only", like it is a simple thing (I couldn't do it).

Just curious...the program does this for dvd iso files, and can play all of the files on a blu-ray, so it seems possible.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page