Best split-screen (2-player) racing game??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
I'm sorry if this is covered, but several searches only turned up a year+ old thread and some stuff in the Xbox area...

So I just got a PS3 and want to get a racing game to play when friends come over, but it seems like every cool game is online multiplayer only, no split screen offline 2-player modes at all??

Do I have any options? Doesn't have to be sim, just has to be tons of fun and have offline multiplayer / split-screen. Ideally it would be something that I could pick up for a reasonable price used, not a $59.99 brand new title, but I'll take what I can get...

It bums me out because games like Motorstorm, Dirt, etc. look really cool and are cheap used, but no multiplayer! what ever happened to MarioKart style, sitting around your living room trash talking with friends?? Do people only have friends online now?

thanks!!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
GT5:P and MotorStorm2 both have split-screen racing. I'm sure there are a couple others, but that's off the top of my head.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wipeout HD. I believe Pure does, as well.

PSN: Tezasaurus
Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I am pretty sure Pure does not have split-screen.

My vote would be Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, then Wipeout.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wipeout HD does have 2 player split-screen and so does.. Sega Rally Revo... LOL I bought this game for 39.99 because I LOVE racing games... I think I did like 3 races that's all Should give it another try some day...

+1 for GT5P. Best sim racing game out there and it got 2 player split-screen
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

thanks for the suggestions everyone. so it looks like the options are GT5:P, dropping $50 on the brand new Motorstorm 2, or grabbing a cheap old game like Wipeout or Sega Rally Revo.

Any others that folks can think of that are missing from the list? I'm leaning to GT5:P, but if there's a different racing game that's just kick-ass fun for friends to sit around and play together, let me know.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I would NOT recommend GT5P for a pickup and play game. Unless you want to be "competing" with S - L - O - W cars around boring tracks.

I would recommend MotorStorm 2 or WipeOut HD.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

+1 to MS:PR and WipeoutHD...both these games are incredible and offer totally different racing experiences. I think MSPR is more forgiving and better to play with guests.

MSPR actually gives you up to 4 player split screen, the only drawback is that the environments are so rich and large that you really need a BIG screen if you're going 4 player. 50" was barely enough for 4 people imo, 2 players is fine.

By the way, you referred to Wipeout as a cheap old game...we're referring to the new version that released via PSN only for $20 in Sept.

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ah, I got confused, I see what you're talking about now, thanks. maybe I'll just download WipeoutHD as a cheap CURRENT option and wait for MS:PR to drop in price.

I will probably pick up GT5:P also, some of my friends are racing game nuts and into sim stuff, and we used to play GT all the time on PS2 a few years back.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Welcome to these side of the boards batpig - I can't thank you enough for your contributions to the Denon 1909/789 thread.

My Vote: Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Beautiful tracks and customizable races, vehicles, with AI difficulty selectability. Makes for a great user experience on all level of racing skills.

I hope you now get to enjoy the full audio potential of the PS3 too with the HD codecs (albeit already decoded) on the BD movies.

Wipeout from what I hear is not a pick up and go kind of game. Just food for thought.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

thanks! live.com cashback was the ticket for me, good enough to get my wife to sign off. sold the old xbox for $100, got a PS3 with two sixaxis controllers and three games for $250 shipped after cash back, sold some other crap on ebay and only had to spend about $100 net. and for me the PS3 was the perfect choice because I don't care about internal codecs and it frees up my choice of receiver (perfect for the budget shopper, got an AVR 888 for $200 open box at Fry's!)... I look at the PS3's internal decoding as a positive feature, not a handicap.

the game doesn't have to be the easiest thing in the world, it's not like I'm playing with my wife and mother. my friends and I have played many a racing game, so as long as it's not ridiculously intricate we can handle a little learning curve.

it just has to be fun and offer split screen offline multiplayer mode... like I said above, I was stunned when I started reading reviews and almost every early racing game for the PS3 didn't offer that, I figured that was basically a standard feature for ANY racing game!

thanks for the advice... the new motorstorm game may have to wait a few months until I can get it for cheaper on craigslist. I think downloading WipeoutHD may do the trick for now....

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

thanks for the advice... the new motorstorm game may have to wait a few months until I can get it for cheaper on craigslist. I think downloading WipeoutHD may do the trick for now....

I don't know man. Your call. I downloaded WipeOut day 1. I haven't even played it once with all the other games. Motorstorm has just been eating hours out of my day. I think I've logged 28 hours already. Based on the premise of WipeOut vs Motorstorm, I just love being able to punch my buddy of his bike or roll over his dead body and hearing the crunch, then tearing off into the underbrush. Nevermind the Monster trucks! Hey, download the demo of MS first, then at least you get to try it. But let me tell you, the finished product is much, much better.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Ditto to what dog said, I followed that Denon thread religiously while I researched and waited for my 1909 to arrive

I see you and I have the same game buying strategy...craigslist all the way baby! You will NOT be disappointed with WHD, the game is simply stunning and a blast to play. Check out this thread on Gaf while you wait for the download.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336514

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, I definitely am not the type who just HAS TO have the brand new game for $50-60. I don't play that much, and there are always plenty of older titles available for a huge discount. Actually, I'm that way about pretty much all consumer electronics, from speakers to receivers to whatever, there's almost always better value in last-year's model...

thanks again for the advice everyone!

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM

A vote for Wipeout HD here. Fantastic value.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

got an AVR 888 for $200 open box at Fry's!)

I'm very jealous that's the receiver I want, but I can't find it around here anymore, I'm probably going to end up paying a nice bit more for a newer model.

Quote:

it just has to be fun and offer split screen offline multiplayer mode... like I said above, I was stunned when I started reading reviews and almost every early racing game for the PS3 didn't offer that, I figured that was basically a standard feature for ANY racing game!

I was also surprised by the lack of split-screen multiplayer in MotorStorm when I got it as part of the PS3 bundle, I even had to double check the case a few times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

As for a recommendation I can't really help much, but the first MotorStorm was alot of fun and I would think that the second one is just as good or better with the features they added.

PSN = Hatcher14