Running PS3 through an Onkyo Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently running my PS3 via HDMI through my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. My guess is many people on here are running through an Onkyo. Like everyone else, via the HDMI, it sends the audio through Linear PCM. This gets the TrueHD and DTS-MA of the Blu-rays to the receiver.

My questions is this...

What DSP/Listening mode's are best used with these? It seems not all are available for each disc. For the most part i've used the ProLogicII Movie setting, but the manual indicates that the prologic is best for converting a 2-channel signal to a 5.1/7.1, so is it beneficial to use with something that is already 5.1?

What is the consensus on best DSP's to use for both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA sources?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The best thing to do is just try out each one on the same scene in a movie and on the same section on a game.

Sound is very objective so what sounds good to mebon my 705 may not sound so good to you

I use the thx 5.1 btw

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #3 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

for true hd and dts MA you shouldn't need any processing, the PS3 sends it via LPCM to the receiver, as long as your receiver says multichannel HMDI, you are set. you can confirm while watching a blu-ray by hitting select to see what audio the ps3 is sending... most blu-rays default to the hi-def sound provided your system can handle it. Although uncompressed PCM tracks tend to default to DD5.1 (at least my expereince)
post #4 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

you do need processing if you have more than a 5.1 set up, for matrixing.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, forgot to mention, I am running it on a 7.1 system, and i know that some of the DSP's matrix to the 7.1 from a 5.1 track.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

You may be better served in the Receiver forum. I think most 7.1 owner use the PL IIx.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu1648 View Post

I am currently running my PS3 via HDMI through my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. My guess is many people on here are running through an Onkyo. Like everyone else, via the HDMI, it sends the audio through Linear PCM. This gets the TrueHD and DTS-MA of the Blu-rays to the receiver.

My questions is this...

What DSP/Listening mode's are best used with these? It seems not all are available for each disc. For the most part i've used the ProLogicII Movie setting, but the manual indicates that the prologic is best for converting a 2-channel signal to a 5.1/7.1, so is it beneficial to use with something that is already 5.1?

What is the consensus on best DSP's to use for both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA sources?

if you using some kind of processing on your onkyo like prologicII or dsp then your not hearing loss less audio/ true HD /dts ma. on your receiver it should say multi channel and you should be able to hit the select button on you ps3 and see what audio is being sent to you receiver up in the right corner next to what the video format is. the audio part should say truehd, lpcm you will know the difference when you have it set correctly. also on the receiver if you hold down the diplay button on the receiver gives you some info as well
post #8 of 13 Old 11-30-2008, 12:48 AM

if you have a 7.1 setup, try using THX Ultra2 Cinema. this and Dolby PLIIx is what i usually prefer when watching blurays.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-30-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
PLIIx is the real deal. Thats what ive used since I bought my reciever 11 months ago. Great matrixing and great bass response imo. Ill have to try the THX Ultra2 though.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

if you using some kind of processing on your onkyo like prologicII or dsp then your not hearing loss less audio/ true HD /dts ma.

That isn't quite correct. Lots of newer AVRs will accept lossless tracks in 5.1 and be able to matrix them into 7.1, the onkyo 805 is one of them. I use my PS3 through my Onkyo 606 and use PLIIx for all the movies that have 5.1 tracks. When playing a BR disc with a native 7.1 track, the receiver should default to "direct" or "multi channel" which is exactly what you want, since no extra processing is needed. Also don't forget that some movies require you to manually select the lossless track in the menu, some will default to the legacy soundtrack.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten7ryder View Post

if you have a 7.1 setup, try using THX Ultra2 Cinema. this and Dolby PLIIx is what i usually prefer when watching blurays.

This for 5.1 signal or less. If I receive LPCM then I put it on multichannel rather than direct, it sounds better.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 AM

I just recently finished installing the onkyo ht-s1700 home theater in a box which comes with the onkyo 606 receiver. After hooking everything up I tried a few blu-rays and noticed the ps3 wasn't reporting that it was outputting in hd audio. Come to find out, I needed to go into the ps3 sound settings and enable all of the audio formats that I hadn't been able to use before upgrading to the onkyo receiver. You might try that if you haven't already.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 AM

I have the 705 and I use the "Pure" mode, I think its the same as "direct" but it turns the display off. I'm only 5.1 though, so no need to matrix.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page