Help with ONKYO 606 and PS3 settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having a little trouble and cant find my answer by searching........Anyways I have an ONKYO 606 hooked up to my ps3 through hdmi with 7.1 speakers........I know that not all movies have 7.1 sound but for some reason the sound only seems to come from the front speakers and does not seem like true surround sound.........when I play my xbox360 using component cables and optical cable the surround sound is much more immersive and sounds better......which obviousy should not be the case, as the hdmi and blu ray should be higher quality. The onkyo says multichannel in and hdmi during ps3 use.......I have the ps3 set to PCM and to accept all forms of audio since the onkyo can take care of all formats. What do I have to do with the PS3 settings and the ONKYO settings to get the best sound outputted? Any help will be greatly appreciated......thank you, Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Some people are going to disagree with me but leave the PS3 audio output on bitstream unless you watch bluray with DTHD or DTS-MA. This way the receiver can decode and "color" the sound just the way you like it, exactly how the xbox audio works. When your PS3 is on PCM, you can't use any of your receivers post processing options. Hope that helps.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #3 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quick, easy way to check:

Put in a blu-ray movie. During the movie (not in the menu screens) push the select button. A display will pop up that gives you a bunch of different information about what's playing and how it's being played. In the upper right-hand corner of the display it will tell you what audio format is being sent to your AVR. What does that say?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #4 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I would go back to your sound settings and auto-detect everything once again. Then do as some have suggested and go bitstream to see what audible difference you may find, if any.

EDIT: you can also switch between bitstream and pcm during playback. Hit triangle and go to the A/V options and select the audio output tab. you can toggle between the two to see which produces the best sound for you.
post #5 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

ok right now I have in the dark knight....... I push select and it says Dolby TRUEHD 5.1 ch 48 khz ....... Sounds good......just not what I would expect and it seems very front speaker heavy and very little in the back........now when I try bitstream then push select it says dolby digital multichannel 48 khz..........the onkyo now says PLIIx movie, which I assume means dolby pro logic 2............will have to listen to both to see which is better, any other input?????? thanks so far!!! Andy
post #6 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

In that case, you do not want to go bitstream. You don't want plxii. Did you use the Audyssey mike to do your set up? If you still don't like the sound bump up the rears a decibal or two manually.

om [NOM] nom
post #7 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

yes I used the mike to do the set up.........will turn up te decibles on he rear speakers.....thanks
post #8 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm.

So we know your speakers must be set up (at least close to) correctly since your 360 isn't having problems with DD. We also know that your PS3 is set up correctly since it's sending out the appropriate audio signal.

A few other things to keep in mind:

-The HD sound codecs come out softer and lower sounding than DD or DTS. You may just need to crank up the master volume.

-There are some simple audio tweaks in the settings menu during playback. Hit triangle to bring up the menu, then scroll to audio options/settings. There are a few volume adjustments you can make.

-a good surround sound mix won't use all the speakers all the time. Your fronts, center, and sub will still do most of the work most of the time.

-have you compared your PS3's blu-ray playback to a 7.1 game? Games take much greater advantage of surround speakers than do movies. Pop in Uncharted or GT5P or a similar game that has 7.1 LPCM.

post #9 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

When your PS3 is on PCM, you can't use any of your receivers post processing options. Hope that helps.

Not true. Most of the processing options are still available when using PCM, unless its a 7.1 native track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

In that case, you do not want to go bitstream. You don't want plxii.

Why not use PLIIx? It works very well for turning 5.1 into 7.1, very well I might add, at least in my setup which is the same as the OP's.
post #10 of 54 Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Why not use PLIIx? It works very well for turning 5.1 into 7.1, very well I might add, at least in my setup which is the same as the OP's.

I guess so but the way I look at it, if it wasn't encoded in 7.1 in the first place, why fake it?

om [NOM] nom
post #11 of 54 Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

I have the 606, I hope you ran the automatic speaker set-up. If you didn't go back and do that. It's in the manual.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
post #12 of 54 Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I have the 606 as well, and if you ran the Audyssey setup already, I would suggest running it again.

Is it possible that the surround and surround back are flipped when you hooked them up?

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #13 of 54 Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

i did the initiall set up with the mike.......is there a seperate set up for the audessy? Speakers are all installed properly........maybe I am just spoiled and expected more.......
post #14 of 54 Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4343 View Post

I know that not all movies have 7.1 sound but for some reason the sound only seems to come from the front speakers and does not seem like true surround sound

If you're asking this question, then I don't think you are spoiled - there is a problem somewhere (unless you have some really crappy satellite surrounds). I would suggest running the setup again. The other option is to play with the levels of your surrounds (or maybe your fronts are too high).

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #15 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

ok......I know it has been a little while but here is what I have come up with.......I have 7.1 speakers set up on the onkyo 606, when playing a blu ray that is 5.1 for some reason the middle surround sound speakers are the ones that have sound coming out of them and there is nothing from the rear surround speakers....so I do get 5.1 surround, but it is just localized to the front half of my theater setup with no sound from behind......I know for a fact that the speakers are hooked up to their proper inputs and have double checked using the onkyo speaker set up in the on screen menu. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Any possible solutions???? Thanks for everyones input so far and thanks for any future input in advance..........Andy
post #16 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your settings are clearly wrong. There is no way you should get pro logic 2 from a dolby digital source. Change sound field on reciever or something. Remember the ps3 has seperate audio settings, I think the blu ray settings are in the display option I can't remember but they're in a odd place. Set ps3 to PCM, games sound better and clearly blu rays sound better. I think the ps3 changes to pcm on it's own anyway when it gets lossless audio. What does the reciever display say for audio when batman lossless audio is playing. It should say 5.1(or 7.1) pcm. There was just a thread here not days ago with someone else with this near exact problem.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #17 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

ok......I know it has been a little while but here is what I have come up with.......I have 7.1 speakers set up on the onkyo 606, when playing a blu ray that is 5.1 for some reason the middle surround sound speakers are the ones that have sound coming out of them and there is nothing from the rear surround speakers....so I do get 5.1 surround, but it is just localized to the front half of my theater setup with no sound from behind......I know for a fact that the speakers are hooked up to their proper inputs and have double checked using the onkyo speaker set up in the on screen menu. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Any possible solutions???? Thanks for everyones input so far and thanks for any future input in advance..........Andy

That is how it is supposed to be if it is LPCM. If it is LPCM, the 606 won't touch the signal. Only time you will get 7.1 from a 5.1 source is if you let the 606 do the conversion.

Also, are you expecting sound out of the back speakers instead of the side speakers? Because the back speakers are speakers 6 and 7, so if you ever got sound from your "back" speakers in a 5.1 setup, you did it wrong.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #18 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

when I do the speaker setup screen it tests each individual speaker with a static sound and on the tv you can see the highlighted speaker while you hear the sound coming from the coresponding speaker.........going by this info I thought I had the speakers hooked up properly or else the middle surround speaker would be higlighted on the tv, but the static sound would be coming from the back surround speaker............Maybe I am wrong.........let me know.......

Anyways the dark knight is in right now..........display on PS3 says Dolby TrueHD 5.1 ch............Onkyo 606 says "Multichannel" in big letters then in small letters above it it says "PCM MULTICH HDMI ............ AUDYSSEY" Hope this info will help you help me.........Thanks again, Andy
post #19 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

when I do the speaker setup screen it tests each individual speaker with a static sound and on the tv you can see the highlighted speaker while you hear the sound coming from the coresponding speaker.........going by this info I thought I had the speakers hooked up properly or else the middle surround speaker would be higlighted on the tv, but the static sound would be coming from the back surround speaker............Maybe I am wrong.........let me know.......

Anyways the dark knight is in right now..........display on PS3 says Dolby TrueHD 5.1 ch............Onkyo 606 says "Multichannel" in big letters then in small letters above it it says "PCM MULTICH HDMI ............ AUDYSSEY" Hope this info will help you help me.........Thanks again, Andy

And you're getting it out of 5.1 speakers, right? If so, there is nothing wrong. The 606 won't alter a PCM signal. If you want 7.1 from a 5.1 source you'll need to bitstream it.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #20 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

And you're getting it out of 5.1 speakers, right? If so, there is nothing wrong. The 606 won't alter a PCM signal. If you want 7.1 from a 5.1 source you'll need to bitstream it.

Nor true. The 606 has no problem adding post processing to PCM or LPCM sources, ie 5.1 into 7.1
post #21 of 54 Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hit the listening mode button "movie/TV" on your remote until you get to "PLIIx Movie". You'll now have lossless 5.1 matrixed into 7.1, good stuff
post #22 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 AM

Try cycling through listening options on the 606, (movie, game, etc...) some sound different than others. When I had my Pioneer VSX 816, I used to keep my listening mode on "game" all the time because the sound was richer and I'm a bass whore

Samsung HL67A750 LED DLP
Motorolla QIP6416-2 HD-DVR

HP Pavillion ATI HD 2670 video card (HDMI-out)

Energy Take classic 5.1

Denon AVR -789 reciever
Toshiba D2 HD-DVD player
PS3 40gb-(gamertag-fatboygixxer)

post #23 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Nor true. The 606 has no problem adding post processing to PCM or LPCM sources, ie 5.1 into 7.1

Man, I need to get mine out of storage.

I feel bad about giving the wrong info (in regards to the needing to bitstream in order to augment the sound). I didn't think getting 5.1 from "multi-channel" instead of 7.1 meant something was wrong though.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #24 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

ok so I guess it is set up fine, but my speaker loactions would just need to be moved........the area I have my setup in is not that long so my middle surround speakers are in front of me and the rear speakers are directly above and behind me ........my couch is against the back wall........I am assumming now for optimal positions the mid speakers should be to the left and right of my sitting position therefore I would get the backround sounds towards the rear, and the back speackers should be even further back (which in my case is impossible since my couch is against the back wall already)...........thanks for all the help everyone.......Andy
post #25 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok so I guess it is set up fine, but my speaker loactions would just need to be moved........the area I have my setup in is not that long so my middle surround speakers are in front of me and the rear speakers are directly above and behind me ........my couch is against the back wall........I am assumming now for optimal positions the mid speakers should be to the left and right of my sitting position therefore I would get the backround sounds towards the rear, and the back speackers should be even further back (which in my case is impossible since my couch is against the back wall already)...........thanks for all the help everyone.......Andy

I'd strongly suggest configuring your speakers for a 5.1 setup. You'll actually construct a better sound space if you don't bother with those rears. Which means, for your space it will likely sound better to setup for 5.1 rather than 7.1. You need to have ample space behind your listening position to give the rears in a 7.1 setup some room to "breathe."

post #26 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with the above. I basically have the same situation at my house and use the 5.1 speakers for my setup. Considering that only a few movies and games take advantage of 7.1, I don't think you'll be missing out on much. My setup sounds amazing, and I'm sure once you reconfigure, you'll notice the same.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #27 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

ok I really think that I go it now...because I tried switching the settings on listening modes and found one setting that was "Gaming ALL CHannel" I now have sound coming out of all speakers and it ps3 display says dolbytruehd 5.1 ............ I think that finally did it and I am very greatful for all the input from you all in helping me out. ....... Andy
post #28 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok I really think that I go it now...because I tried switching the settings on listening modes and found one setting that was "Gaming ALL CHannel" I now have sound coming out of all speakers and it ps3 display says dolbytruehd 5.1 ............ I think that finally did it and I am very greatful for all the input from you all in helping me out. ....... Andy

Sorry, that's not right either. The "all channel" setting just repeats the same info from another channel (making a 2-channel stereo signal come out of all your speakers, for example). It doesn't matrix surround. In order to matrix 5.1 into 7.1 you need to use something like DPLIIx. With "all channel," I'm pretty sure you're just getting stereo through all of your speakers instead of just two.

Someone else may be able to verify this, but I am pretty certain that if you want full 7.1 matrixed by your receiver from a 5.1 signal, you have to change your PS3's sound settings to 5.1. If you leave it with the 7.1 selections, I don't think you can still matrix a 5.1 signal. The PS3's kinda screwy that way. It's not the fault of your receiver, but of how the PS3 sends multichannel audio.

As I said earlier (and this only applies to multichannel PCM over HDMI), I'm pretty sure the PS3 always sends the maximum number of channels you send via multichannel PCM. If you have 7.1 selected in the PS3's sound settings, but you're playing a 5.1 encoded movie or game, the PS3 will send 2 blank channels. If you've playing a 2-channel game (like a PS1/2 game), it'll send 4 blank channels. And so on.

This isn't a problem with bitstreaming since the PS3 just passes the raw audio data to your receiver for processing. But since the PS3 can't/won't bitstream the HD codecs, this is how you have to do it.

EDIT: I vaguely remember some buzz about FW 2.4 fixing this problem. Anyone?

post #29 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Sorry, that's not right either. The "all channel" setting just repeats the same info from another channel (making a 2-channel stereo signal come out of all your speakers, for example). It doesn't matrix surround. In order to matrix 5.1 into 7.1 you need to use something like DPLIIx. With "all channel," I'm pretty sure you're just getting stereo through all of your speakers instead of just two.

Someone else may be able to verify this, but I am pretty certain that if you want full 7.1 matrixed by your receiver from a 5.1 signal, you have to change your PS3's sound settings to 5.1. If you leave it with the 7.1 selections, I don't think you can still matrix a 5.1 signal. The PS3's kinda screwy that way. It's not the fault of your receiver, but of how the PS3 sends multichannel audio.

As I said earlier (and this only applies to multichannel PCM over HDMI), I'm pretty sure the PS3 always sends the maximum number of channels you send via multichannel PCM. If you have 7.1 selected in the PS3's sound settings, but you're playing a 5.1 encoded movie or game, the PS3 will send 2 blank channels. If you've playing a 2-channel game (like a PS1/2 game), it'll send 4 blank channels. And so on.

This isn't a problem with bitstreaming since the PS3 just passes the raw audio data to your receiver for processing. But since the PS3 can't/won't bitstream the HD codecs, this is how you have to do it.

EDIT: I vaguely remember some buzz about FW 2.4 fixing this problem. Anyone?

That's the way I understood it too, which is why I said what I did about the onkyo not touching the PCM. I knew I played mine as is.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #30 of 54 Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Yeah - uncheck the 7.1 options in PS3. The PS3 will send 5.1 to the reciever and then you can add the PLIIx processing to add the back surronds in.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page