My house was broken into.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i figured I'd post it in here since most of the stuff taken was game related....

Anyway, on Tuesday of this week, some coward broke into my home and stole quite a bit of stuff that I worked hard for. He (or they) got away with my PS3, XBox360, Nintendo Wii, an HP laptop I just bought 4 months ago, and my wifes Toshiba laptop with all of her school assignments on it, and my sons baby monitor (real low right?). They also got away with 2 boxes of checks from my wife and I...needless to say this Xmas isnt looking to merry right now, but atleast no one was hurt, and I have receipts for mostly everything...I figured they were only in the house for a few minutes, because had they been a bit smarter, or stayed for a while longer, they could have gotten away with my Sony KDS-60A3000, and my Onkyo 605 receiver, but I think all the wire connections scared them...they were a bit rough with the receiver, but all in all, it survived...

I have receipts or credit card statements for everything they took, so Im hoping the insurance claims folks wont be too stingy, and give me enough money to re purchase everything that was stolen...anyway, ya'll be cool....Im trying to be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 08:48 AM

I am sorry to hear! thats horrible. I hope things work out for you. Please keep us updated.

XBOX Live Id : Big Moogle
PSN ID: BOUNTY14
Games being played : Uncharted 2, Cod4-2, Forza 3, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4
post #3 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 AM

Liked: 832
Sorry to hear man, that really sucks. Receipts and having insurance is your best bet, and you've done the right thing.
post #4 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope it all works out for the best.
post #5 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wow that's terrible.I wish you all the best man,I hope the lowlife gets his(or hers)..

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #6 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky McGutter View Post

I have receipts or credit card statements for everything they took, so Im hoping the insurance claims folks wont be too stingy, and give me enough money to re purchase everything that was stolen...anyway, ya'll be cool....Im trying to be...

hopefully you paid extra for replacement cost instead of depreciated value.
post #7 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Truly sorry to hear about that!

Many times I'm ashamed to be from the same human race that's capable of doing so many wrongs!
post #8 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Dude, that sucks. I hope it all works out. When it is all said in done, I am sure you all will have a fantastic Christmas.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #9 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Man that sucks, there are two kinds of people I hate the most and that is liars and thieves. Lazy sob's are to stupid to get a job and buy their own ****. If you have homeowners insurance it should cover it hopefully. Also I would think about an alarm system.....Good luck and like you said no one was hurt so that is a good reason to have a great christmas.
post #10 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

That sucks dude. Till you replace all your crap look for a positive, and that is to spend more one on one time with the wife and kid. Stay cool and your Christmas will be just great.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #11 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I was broken into a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, the alarm scared them so they only had a few minutes to look around. Got my Garmin GPS, a crappy 1 gig iPod Nano, and my shotgun I keep in the bedroom closet for intruders (unfortunately only works when I'm home).
post #12 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about this during this time of year.

You should let us know what your PSN ID is just in case we see it online. Some of us may be able to track the perp down for you.
post #13 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I saw that you had mentioned that they had made off with two boxes of checks. If someone tries to cash one, you should be able to catch them or the people they sold them to. Notify your bank and the police, if you haven't already.
post #14 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Some perps will try to hit the same place twice. Watch out for that.
post #15 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

You should let us know what your PSN ID is just in case we see it online. Some of us may be able to track the perp down for you.

i'd be willing to keep an eye out as well.

problem is, if they're smart they'll gut it and put on ebay/craigslist with hundreds of other stolen systems.

as long as you have your health and family, be thankful that stuff you lost is replaceable.

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #16 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate the support. It just really sucks...everytime I look at my entertainment center, Im thinking "damn...its so empty..." Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

PSN - Black_Caesar21

XBL - Black McGutter

if you see them online...send them a big "F*** You" for me...thanks!
post #17 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

i hope if they fire up your 360 they get the RROD!

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #18 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGeorge34 View Post

I'm sorry to hear that. I saw that you had mentioned that they had made off with two boxes of checks. If someone tries to cash one, you should be able to catch them or the people they sold them to. Notify your bank and the police, if you haven't already.

its already been taken care of...my wife is a teller, so she's been on top of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder_fbi View Post

Some perps will try to hit the same place twice. Watch out for that.

We're taking the necessary precautions already. Ive found out through the grapevine that our house has been the 8th or 9th house hit in the last 2 months. The sad part is that our neighborhood used to be decent, but its getting pretty bad, but the cops dont seem to care...as long as they can write a police report so your insurance can give you your $ back, they feel like theyve done their job. One of the detectives that came to my house after the breakin said in a nut shell that he's just waitng for the burgulars to get shot. All we can do is prepare for them to come back. My security system should be online by tuesday (hopefully), but the bastards cut my phonelines before they came in, so we cant do anything until they are repaired. Ive just been a bit paranoid because they left so much behind, and I have a feeling they might be back...
post #19 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
my HOME was broken into
post #20 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and my sons baby monitor (real low right?).

Damn straight, that is super ****ed up. I can't believe that. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, but I'm glad you kept receipts and your wife is on the ball going through the recovery process. I hope it all gets covered.

I'm in a similar situation that you mentioned, watching your neighborhood slowly turn to ****; we have a playground by my place, and it was kind of cute watching kids be kids and play all carefree and that last year. This year, two college kids were held up at gunpoint for what amounted to $15 in the early evening about a block away. Our species is a real let-down sometimes.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #21 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 62
That sucks man. I have read some stories where people were able to trace theives by using the XBOX Live name to track them so if anyone here was on your friends list, they should look out for it and contact Sony or MS and they can put a trace on the name.

Good luck man and like you said, at least no one got hurt.
post #22 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post

my HOME was broken into

Don't be an asshat... if you've got nothing nice or kind to say or any advice to offer, go play somewhere else.
post #23 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sorry to hear that this happened to a fellow avs'er. This kinda stuff is only going to get worse as the economy goes further into the dumps. Take every precaution you can people, to keep your home and family safe.

The cop is probably right..they are gonna get shot. And that is a far worse act than what they have done. Don't worry they'll get theirs. You ever heard the saying "What goes around, comes around"? Hope everything works out for you, and stay safe!

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #24 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're taking the necessary precautions already. Ive found out through the grapevine that our house has been the 8th or 9th house hit in the last 2 months. The sad part is that our neighborhood used to be decent, but its getting pretty bad... Ive just been a bit paranoid because they left so much behind, and I have a feeling they might be back...

My heart really goes out to you. I was burgled one time, and except for something happening directly to you or your family, it's definitely the next worst feeling in the world. And it's not at all about the stuff. Hopefully, your insurance company pulls through for you, and you'll get all brand new gear - which is the only good part about the whole thing. I more than understand your paranoia, though. I'm always a little paranoid now.

Fortunately, most crooks go where they think things are easiest. They're not terribly bright, but they're also not dumb. They're probably going to assume you're going to step up security now, so they'll likely look somewhere else. Try and make some obvious changes on your home security if you can. Even just putting more of those security-alert stickers on your windows helps, I hear. The crooks are probably not going to want to press their luck a second time if you make it obvious you've stepped things up. All they want to do is get in quick and go. The last thing they want is to do is risk getting caught by a better security system cuz that would just get in the way of their drugs.

I hope you can have a merry Christmas despite what's happened to you!
post #25 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sorry to hear about this, and to those who did this... Instant Karma's gonna get ya, as John once said.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #26 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 PM

I know its a long shot but can you let Sony and Microsoft know the unit was stolen? Perhaps they could block the 360 and PS3 from logging on and they could also at least log the IP address when that unit turns on.

I'm willing to bet both of those units log on at least once in the near future.

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag: aph3xx
Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #27 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

its already been taken care of...my wife is a teller, so she's been on top of that.

Man I will give you my personal story to make you feel better. But lets start with the stealing of the checks has to be the dumbest move, but then again these people weren't smart to begin with.

About 2 year ago, my wife and I had 5 bills go unpaid for one month. My wife was checking statements and thought it was odd that all the checks for those bills went out at the same time. We moved on casually 2 weeks later a virtual bill pay cleared out checking account for 250 to JC Penny CC. Needless to say we didn't have a JCP card and that is when it clicked. The mail was stolen. We contacted our bank, who contacted JCP, and the authorities and while it was a hassle to get all of our checking account back in order (happened at Christmas too - it's always nice to see $250 dissappear that you needed for the Holiday), and the companies with late fees all corrected. But a funny thing happened. Once all the fraud alerts went up, a woman was caught trying to forge our rent check by rewriting her name over our landlords (can you say dumna$$). Seven or eight months later, we get a letter from the Postmaster General that 2 people have been caught and all out missing checks/mail were recovered at the address of the suspects. They were being charged with mail theft, bank fraud, identity theft, among others. Apparently we were just part of a string of mail robberies. Fast forward to 5 months ago, I get a letter from the Sac. Courts, saying that the case was hitting trial hearing and if I wanted to go, I could. I didn't go, I've moved on. So for that 1-2 months of hassle of checks and accounts and late fees and the robbers were getting their due day in court. May they have a good time in jail with their felony charges.

So to Blacky, while your day does suck, time does move on and you will all get over this. After all, it is just material things right? With a bit of emotional violation too, I understand. But for the sake of arguement, you just hope those bastards try to use those checks. It will be their downfall. And while the cops don't care, banks certainly don't like it when people try to steal from them.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #28 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that. I cross my fingers every time I go home that I won't come home to this. Buy a shotgun. If he comes back for your replacements and you're home, do us all a favor and paint his brains on the wall so we all have a little more air to breathe. Too harsh? I really don't think so. "People" like this are the scum of the earth.
post #29 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

Sorry to hear that. I cross my fingers every time I go home that I won't come home to this. Buy a shotgun. If he comes back for your replacements and you're home, do us all a favor and paint his brains on the wall so we all have a little more air to breathe. Too harsh? I really don't think so. "People" like this are the scum of the earth.

Thats funny...my wife hates guns, but during the 'quiet after the storm" my wife just looks around and says..."we need a shotgun....NOW!" So, next week Im hoping to get my permit from the sheriffs office so I can buy a gun. All I need to do is take a gun safety class (which is free on the Army base Im stationed near), and take the certificate to the sheriff and viola! I can buy a gun....
post #30 of 95 Old 12-20-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats funny...my wife hates guns, but during the 'quiet after the storm" my wife just looks around and says..."we need a shotgun....NOW!" So, next week Im hoping to get my permit from the sheriffs office so I can buy a gun. All I need to do is take a gun safety class (which is free on the Army base Im stationed near), and take the certificate to the sheriff and viola! I can buy a gun....

a dog might be a better place to start, if feaseable. you'd be surprised at what a deterent a couple of dog toys and a leash outside are to sh!tbird burglars. nothing against guns, but they're often a very finite solution when implemented to solve problems.

how'd they get in, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page