Worst Nightmare: PS3 blinking red light of death! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 430 Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
swarm87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
just lost my 60gb to the red blinking light; is it a better idea just to get a replacement unit for $99 and restore a backup from the old system than pay $30 more to keep the ability to play my 9 ps2 games? the only ps2 games i usually play are MGS, legacy of kain and FF-X

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
swarm87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 430 Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
 
GSDTrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

just lost my 60gb to the red blinking light; is it a better idea just to get a replacement unit for $99 and restore a backup from the old system? the only ps2 games i play are MGS, legacy of kain and FF-X

So you have a back up on a USB or external HDD? If it was me I would do the $99 and look into buying something like a square trade EW. Sony only gives a 90 day warranty. I use the multiple USBs, usually a thumb drive with a TV show on it, then 1 to charge the controller and another one to charge my ear piece. I also use the card reader from time to time. Plus its just such a sexy looking beast I love it.
GSDTrainer is offline  
post #363 of 430 Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
fiddlesticks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone wondering about Sony's repair/replacement plan:

My 40gb fat system (4 years old) got the lights-of-death the end of last month. Sent it to Sony and paid the $107 for a repair. Just got it back and it's my system with the hard-drive wiped. It works as far as I've tested it (turned it on, basically), but not only didn't I get a newer refurbed system, I got mine back and still lost everything that I had on the hard-drive.

So beware to anyone sending it to Sony - had I known this, I would've just used the $100 and saved it towards a new system. No telling how long this one will last.
fiddlesticks is offline  
post #364 of 430 Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
lvtdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is pretty well-known, and the reason why I paid $99 for a refurbed 160GB. Better price, and for all intents and purposes a new PS3.

I was just reading further back and noticed that GR1MM, instead of taking this option, trashed his PS3 just to get a rental disc out to return it to Blockbuster. What???? I can't follow that logic at all. For $99 and (at worst) the price to replace the disc, he could've had a PS3 and a movie. I still think Blockbuster would have taken the disc back late if talked to reasonably. This is like road rage applied to the PS3 if you ask me.

lvtdude is offline  
post #365 of 430 Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Newbie
 
jacalheiros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

citation needed!

Even if it's 1000 people over there bitching, there's nothing to prove it besides all the people with dead systems posting for help in the same place.

Remember, the PS3 has some 17.5 million consoles that aren't defective. 1000 isn't even a measurable statistic to contemplate.

Still it does suck, and I do feel for ya, but what your saying is just hyperbole. My launch unit is going strong, without any problems.

Amen on that, brother... I have had my PS3 for almost 5 years and played it constantly, I bought it in Iraq back in 2007, it has been shipped all over the world numerous times and today the issue originally posted about it shutting off and a blinking red light finally happened. I'm going to try some of the options given on the thread and hopefully can repair it, even if it means losing all of my data...
jacalheiros is offline  
post #366 of 430 Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
lvtdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacalheiros View Post

Amen on that, brother... I have had my PS3 for almost 5 years and played it constantly, I bought it in Iraq back in 2007, it has been shipped all over the world numerous times and today the issue originally posted about it shutting off and a blinking red light finally happened. I'm going to try some of the options given on the thread and hopefully can repair it, even if it means losing all of my data...

You can get it repaired by Sony for $129 or get a refurb 160GB for $99. My refurb has been great so far, and looks like new. I had my fat PS3 repaired once and decided to get a different unit when it finally died again.

lvtdude is offline  
post #367 of 430 Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacalheiros View Post

Amen on that, brother... I have had my PS3 for almost 5 years and played it constantly, I bought it in Iraq back in 2007, it has been shipped all over the world numerous times and today the issue originally posted about it shutting off and a blinking red light finally happened. I'm going to try some of the options given on the thread and hopefully can repair it, even if it means losing all of my data...

That was then. I've since changed my stance as I've gone through 2 systems and YLOD's, and people in my beer league are having them drop like flies. Not too happy with sony.

TyrantII is offline  
post #368 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Member
 
ral b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got hit with the blinking red light. Removed the hard drive, and it still persists. The PS3 wont start up, just keeps blinking red. I've got a disc stuck inside. Any clues on what to do next ?
ral b is offline  
post #369 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM
 
GSDTrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral b View Post

I just got hit with the blinking red light. Removed the hard drive, and it still persists. The PS3 wont start up, just keeps blinking red. I've got a disc stuck inside. Any clues on what to do next ?

Well you can send it in for a refurb for $99 or get that one back for $129 after they refurb it. They'll send your disc back too or you can do what I did and tear into it to get the game/movie back. Search "gsilky" on youtube if you want to try to fix it yourself with a heat gun. That will also give you a good idea on how to get to the Blu-Ray drive if you want to take the disc out yourself. Its only 5 tiny screws to take out on the drive to get into where the disc is.
GSDTrainer is offline  
post #370 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Member
 
ral b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Well you can send it in for a refurb for $99 or get that one back for $129 after they refurb it. They'll send your disc back too or you can do what I did and tear into it to get the game/movie back. Search "gsilky" on youtube if you want to try to fix it yourself with a heat gun. That will also give you a good idea on how to get to the Blu-Ray drive if you want to take the disc out yourself. Its only 5 tiny screws to take out on the drive to get into where the disc is.

Thanks Dude...the only problem is that not everyone lives in America. I'm in d@@p S#$t. LOL!!!!
ral b is offline  
post #371 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
 
GSDTrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral b View Post

Thanks Dude...the only problem is that not everyone lives in America. I'm in d@@p S#$t. LOL!!!!

Well Im sure there is a Sony place where you live LOL. But you can always try the fix on youtube but YMMV.
GSDTrainer is offline  
post #372 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral b View Post

I just got hit with the blinking red light. Removed the hard drive, and it still persists. The PS3 wont start up, just keeps blinking red. I've got a disc stuck inside. Any clues on what to do next ?

Phat or Slim?

youtube the "fan clean mode trick", as I heard that if u can get it to work with a YLOD, it'll also pop the disc out or allow you to remove it.

Otherwise it's a little bit of surgery. And if you do it without harming the BD drive and power supply, you can then sell those for parts.
TyrantII is offline  
post #373 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Member
 
ral b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if this whole episode is not connected to the recent software update. I just updated the system and 20 mins later this red light event takes place.
ral b is offline  
post #374 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Nah, just poor system design. Phats pump out upwards of 100C and when I took mine apart I was horrified at how badly designed the cooling system was for something running so hot.

I have a gaming laptop that runs 80C and has 10 times the copper and a better fan / heatsink setup than they put in these phat PS3's.

They're all going to die IMO. Just a matter of use and time.
TyrantII is offline  
post #375 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
garciab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Princeton, TX - USA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Nah, just poor system design. Phats pump out upwards of 100C and when I took mine apart I was horrified at how badly designed the cooling system was for something running so hot.

This was actually measured?

bg
garciab is offline  
post #376 of 430 Old 03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I haven't measure it, but it's apparent. It runs hotter than my laptop, which is measured.

The YLOD issue in phats is also 90% of the time a warped PCB or issues with the solder on the RSX, hence the heat gun fix / reball fix.

Simply put it, these things run too hot and are not cooled properly which leads to failure.
TyrantII is offline  
post #377 of 430 Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Member
 
ral b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sent my RLOD PS3 to some guy who says he can fix it but there are no guarantees it wont pack up anytime soon. Was wondering if i could just fix it and use it just for watching ripped movies on an external hard drive. I intend buying a new one, hence the older one would not get any disc action. Any thoughts on that, or should i just drop the idea. As the drive is not been used the issue of it heating up again would not arise.
ral b is offline  
post #378 of 430 Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
FenixP3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: eLk GrOvE, CA
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 60GB Fatty, unfortunately, saw its demise this weekend after a 45 minute MW3 skirmish. Turned it off for about an hour after having to go look after my 2 little girls. Came back to watch Hugo rent from redbox and the ps3 throws the "error" message and attempt to recover. The recovery completes and xmb home screen appears for 30 seconds and goes dead with the beeps and three red flashing light. Tried the hair dryer method to revive the ps3 so i can backup the data and games save... no luck there as it shutdown after 1 minute. What I noticed was that the cooling fan doesn't even spin any more. Took it apart to clean and inspect (a lot of dust accumulation over the 4 years plus that I had it).

My observation is that the fatty was primarily made to look good and heat removal wasn't the priority. The fan placement as big as it was had a strategically craptastic placement. There's literally no fresh air ducting to provide cool air for the system. The heatsinks pulled off with little to no effort. Thermal paste was pretty much shot. Decided to put everything back together "temporarily" and figure a plan for reviving later. In the mean time I'll probably just start over from scratch with a new 320gb/uncharted 3 combo i picked up yesterday from Bestbuy.
I knew it was coming, just never got around to backing up the data... sucks... the good thing was I used my sony visa points to purchase the 60gb fatty ps3 so I was only out 20 bucks (purchase price on amazon @ the time was $450) and it lasted me a good 4+ years.
FenixP3D is offline  
post #379 of 430 Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Member
 
ral b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixP3D View Post

My 60GB Fatty, unfortunately, saw its demise this weekend after a 45 minute MW3 skirmish. Turned it off for about an hour after having to go look after my 2 little girls. Came back to watch Hugo rent from redbox and the ps3 throws the "error" message and attempt to recover. The recovery completes and xmb home screen appears for 30 seconds and goes dead with the beeps and three red flashing light. Tried the hair dryer method to revive the ps3 so i can backup the data and games save... no luck there as it shutdown after 1 minute. What I noticed was that the cooling fan doesn't even spin any more. Took it apart to clean and inspect (a lot of dust accumulation over the 4 years plus that I had it).

My observation is that the fatty was primarily made to look good and heat removal wasn't the priority. The fan placement as big as it was had a strategically craptastic placement. There's literally no fresh air ducting to provide cool air for the system. The heatsinks pulled off with little to no effort. Thermal paste was pretty much shot. Decided to put everything back together "temporarily" and figure a plan for reviving later. In the mean time I'll probably just start over from scratch with a new 320gb/uncharted 3 combo i picked up yesterday from Bestbuy.
I knew it was coming, just never got around to backing up the data... sucks... the good thing was I used my sony visa points to purchase the 60gb fatty ps3 so I was only out 20 bucks (purchase price on amazon @ the time was $450) and it lasted me a good 4+ years.

I was also playing modern warfare 3 when mine gave in. Have also noticed a lot of people had the same issue after playinf mw3, seems the 1080p puts a lot of strain on the ps3. The dust i got out of mine was unbelievable. Haven't played a single game on it since i fixed it. Afraid it will die again. Holding out to see if i can get a new one and transfer the data.
ral b is offline  
post #380 of 430 Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixP3D View Post

My 60GB Fatty, unfortunately, saw its demise this weekend after a 45 minute MW3 skirmish. Turned it off for about an hour after having to go look after my 2 little girls. Came back to watch Hugo rent from redbox and the ps3 throws the "error" message and attempt to recover. The recovery completes and xmb home screen appears for 30 seconds and goes dead with the beeps and three red flashing light. Tried the hair dryer method to revive the ps3 so i can backup the data and games save... no luck there as it shutdown after 1 minute. What I noticed was that the cooling fan doesn't even spin any more. Took it apart to clean and inspect (a lot of dust accumulation over the 4 years plus that I had it).

My observation is that the fatty was primarily made to look good and heat removal wasn't the priority. The fan placement as big as it was had a strategically craptastic placement. There's literally no fresh air ducting to provide cool air for the system. The heatsinks pulled off with little to no effort. Thermal paste was pretty much shot. Decided to put everything back together "temporarily" and figure a plan for reviving later. In the mean time I'll probably just start over from scratch with a new 320gb/uncharted 3 combo i picked up yesterday from Bestbuy.
I knew it was coming, just never got around to backing up the data... sucks... the good thing was I used my sony visa points to purchase the 60gb fatty ps3 so I was only out 20 bucks (purchase price on amazon @ the time was $450) and it lasted me a good 4+ years.

Are you sure you plugged the fan back into the PCB after taking it apart? It's easy to miss that step when reassembling.
TyrantII is offline  
post #381 of 430 Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral b View Post

I was also playing modern warfare 3 when mine gave in. Have also noticed a lot of people had the same issue after playinf mw3, seems the 1080p puts a lot of strain on the ps3. The dust i got out of mine was unbelievable. Haven't played a single game on it since i fixed it. Afraid it will die again. Holding out to see if i can get a new one and transfer the data.

MW3 is a sub 720P game.... it's how they get 60FPS locked. A hardware scaler pumps it out to 1080P. Honestly, MW3 isn't that demanding on the system.

As said above, it's just use after use takes it toll when the cooling system is so inadequate. There's barely any copper in it to keep costs downs, they used aluminum and there's no intake duct. My thermal paste was also shot (hard as a rock and brittle).
TyrantII is offline  
post #382 of 430 Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My 40gb just started to flash yellow/3 beeps/flash red/dead.
I have a gameplay backup a couple of months old.
What kind of info does it save? Account name? Game profile name?
thx
nikknightt is offline  
post #383 of 430 Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
americangunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral b View Post

I was also playing modern warfare 3 when mine gave in. Have also noticed a lot of people had the same issue after playinf mw3, seems the 1080p puts a lot of strain on the ps3. The dust i got out of mine was unbelievable. Haven't played a single game on it since i fixed it. Afraid it will die again. Holding out to see if i can get a new one and transfer the data.

I think that was just your PS3's way of punishing you for playing that game.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

americangunner is offline  
post #384 of 430 Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Member
 
ral b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I think that was just your PS3's way of punishing you for playing that game.

Very funny...LOL!!!! Iwas just getting into the game when it happened. Don't hate on it, though i didn't see the difference between it and modern warfare 2. We are all suckers for the gaming industry.
ral b is offline  
post #385 of 430 Old 03-13-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
americangunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral b View Post

Very funny...LOL!!!! Iwas just getting into the game when it happened. Don't hate on it, though i didn't see the difference between it and modern warfare 2. We are all suckers for the gaming industry.

Ha, I am just playing. I have two brothers that think the COD series is the best thing, so I like to give them a hard time about it. I guess I carried it over to the forum today.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

americangunner is offline  
post #386 of 430 Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
GFelizardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lakewood, WA
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 40gb Fat PS3 just died with the YLOD. Called Sony to try to get a slim 160gb, and it's a no go. Called customer support twice, and did online chat once, they would not budge. The only option for me is to have them repair it, or they will send me another refurb 40 gb for the $100. It seems only 20, 60, and some 80 gb models can be traded for slims for some reason. Strongly considering using the $100 for an Xbox 360, but I have a backlog of PS3 games to play.
GFelizardo is online now  
post #387 of 430 Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelizardo View Post

My 40gb Fat PS3 just died with the YLOD. Called Sony to try to get a slim 160gb, and it's a no go. Called customer support twice, and did online chat once, they would not budge. The only option for me is to have them repair it, or they will send me another refurb 40 gb for the $100. It seems only 20, 60, and some 80 gb models can be traded for slims for some reason. Strongly considering using the $100 for an Xbox 360, but I have a backlog of PS3 games to play.

Sounds like they want the backward compatibles out of circulation..
nikknightt is offline  
post #388 of 430 Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
[H]RedDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MY system died about a month ago. I have a 60gb system bought on release day. MY daughter was playing BF3 and it just died and gave the YLOD. I read about the heat gun fix and gave it a try and it worked for me. At first I just tried to take the system apart and put arctic silver on the HS because I dont have a heat gun. But that didnt fix it. I borrowed a heat gun and it fixed it.
[H]RedDog is offline  
post #389 of 430 Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Member
 
1.21JiggaWatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]RedDog View Post

MY system died about a month ago. I have a 60gb system bought on release day. MY daughter was playing BF3 and it just died and gave the YLOD. I read about the heat gun fix and gave it a try and it worked for me. At first I just tried to take the system apart and put arctic silver on the HS because I dont have a heat gun. But that didnt fix it. I borrowed a heat gun and it fixed it.

Glad to hear its fixed!

Just keep in mind it could be a temporary fix. Always remember to back up your game saves often.
1.21JiggaWatts is offline  
post #390 of 430 Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Brent A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelizardo View Post

My 40gb Fat PS3 just died with the YLOD. Called Sony to try to get a slim 160gb, and it's a no go. Called customer support twice, and did online chat once, they would not budge. The only option for me is to have them repair it, or they will send me another refurb 40 gb for the $100. It seems only 20, 60, and some 80 gb models can be traded for slims for some reason. Strongly considering using the $100 for an Xbox 360, but I have a backlog of PS3 games to play.

Our 80gb (CECHE01) died on Saturday. I did a file save shortly after we got bought it 4+ years ago but to be honest; it has been such a trouble free unit, that I never thought about needing to do a back-up since. Of course now I am paying for that mistake.
My 10 year old son is heartbroken that he is going to loose all his game saves.

After watching some YouTube tutorials and reading about the reflow and reball "fixes", it seems that it may work again but it's only a matter of time before it fails once more.

Is this trade-in offer toward a slim from Sony something that they are still doing and if so, is there a special customer service code I need to mention to get the offer or am I better off to just go buy a new one in the store?

BTW, it has the GT5 disc stuck in it and I've tried "disc eject" technique of turning it on with the hard switch while activating the eject button, but no luck with getting it to cooperate.
Brent A is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off