Worst Nightmare: PS3 blinking red light of death! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 430 Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Delivery has been rescheduled from tomorrow to the 23rd.

So much for 3-day select!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 430 Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
Be thankful, my 3day select took 13 days...
post #93 of 430 Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you have a disk stuck in the console make SURE to tell them and put it on the form and you will get it back.

Also it should only be $150 not $169. You will get a preauth on your card immediately and then a charge when the new unit ships out from Sony to your house.

My 3 day select to get the box took from Dec 22 to January 9th. It was ridiculous.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #94 of 430 Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

The overall PS3 failure rate is still in the low single digits percentage wise, [SNIP]
Although I would rather see it a public poll... look at the numbers in this poll you have posted in:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/poll....ts&pollid=6619

But even looking at this poll it doesn't support the claim that the failure rate is in the low single digits -- all it simply states is that people who own a 60gb system on AVS have a 11.53% failure rate. No questions related to any other model were asked thus you cannot make the assumption that the defect ratio is not in fact similar to that of the 60GB unit. Now, that being said, think the defect ratio is probably less than 10% but I personally have had a HDD die on a 60GB unit and a BR drive fail on an 80GB unit so for me but that certainly doesn't mean both models have a 50% failure rate...
post #95 of 430 Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Damn King, I'm sorry to hear that (and everyone else in this thread).

I swear, every time a game screws up and forces a reboot, I pray that my black beauty will turn back on. And now after reading this, I'm even more scared. I originally had a 60GB Japan launch unit that magically morphed into a January 2007 60GB unit (thanks Best Buy) and I will be doing backups more frequently now.

I hope you get your baby back soon.
post #96 of 430 Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got a call from Sony's automated system saying that my shipment will be in tomorrow between 8am and 7pm.

Also, when you place your grievance papers in, they say $149 but after tax and what not it comes up to $164.
post #97 of 430 Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Just got a call from Sony's automated system saying that my shipment will be in tomorrow between 8am and 7pm.

Also, when you place your grievance papers in, they say $149 but after tax and what not it comes up to $164.

I was never charged any tax or anything. I am in Wisconsin and was charged a flat $149.

| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #98 of 430 Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice small window they gave you there. At least it doesn't eat up your whole day.

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #99 of 430 Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

I was never charged any tax or anything. I am in Wisconsin and was charged a flat $149.

Oh well, I live in Chicago and that's what I see on my credit card statement and that's what was shown to me before I clicked the "ok" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneck View Post

Nice small window they gave you there. At least it doesn't eat up your whole day.

Yeah, no kidding. Just half the day!
post #100 of 430 Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my 60gb replacement system today. Looks freaking brand new. Had plastic sticky protection thingies all over it. No scratches whatsoever.

They included a 60gb HDD with the system. I had sent it back with an empty HDD enclosure (as per their request and recommendation).

It's nice to have it back, it just doesn't feel as good as the first.

Feels like a bastard child that I am forced to love.
post #101 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM

I have a launch 60gb(launch, as in launch day). Never had a problem with it, until this past Saturday. Right in the middle of a Warhawk match, the machine turned off and the red light started blinking.

I haven't touched the machine since - still considering how to proceed. Last night I removed the hard drive(of course, I have no backup), and turned it on for the first time since Saturday night(3 day span). The thing actually turned on - heard the bootup tone, saw the background, and the wavy line. It sat there(again, no hard drive present), then it turned off again. Since that time, I have not been able to get anything else out of it, not even any kind of debug menu.

This really surprised me. The unit is routed over HDMI > receiver > HDMI > TV. So the fact that I got video and audio means that the cpu works, some semblance of flashable rom/firmware is operational, the sound subsystem works, the gpu works, and the hdmi port works.

I am utterly confused. At this point, I'm considering the $75 ebay job. Any suggestions?
post #102 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the ebay stuff. I sent mine in to Sony (paid $164 in total) and got it with a two week turnaround.

Sorry to hear your system went in. Even sorrier to hear that you have no back-up.
post #103 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I don't know about the ebay stuff. I sent mine in to Sony (paid $164 in total) and got it with a two week turnaround.

Sorry to hear your system went in. Even sorrier to hear that you have no back-up.

Appreciate it man. I'm not that worried about the backup. I don't really give a **** about my save games. I can redownload everything I've purchased. The only thing that worries me is the loss of photos that I moved from memory cards, but never stored elsewhere.
post #104 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM

i should be recieving my box to ship my launch 60GB unit back to sony in the next couple of days and i had just recently upgraded my hard drive to a 320GB and i have a backup from Dec 30th and i took the 320GB drive out and i'm going to put the 60GB back in before i send it in for repair - so my question is when i get my unit back if it is a refurb and not the same unit and i put my 320gb drive in will it ask to format it or will everything be ok and i can just start playing from where i left off?
post #105 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrah777 View Post

i should be recieving my box to ship my launch 60GB unit back to sony in the next couple of days and i had just recently upgraded my hard drive to a 320GB and i have a backup from Dec 30th and i took the 320GB drive out and i'm going to put the 60GB back in before i send it in for repair - so my question is when i get my unit back if it is a refurb and not the same unit and i put my 320gb drive in will it ask to format it or will everything be ok and i can just start playing from where i left off?

Sorry to say, but since you will almost certainly get a refurbed unit with a different serial number/id, your 320GB will have to be reformatted when you put into the PS3.
post #106 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Your drive will be formatted when you install it. From there, you restore your back-up data from the 30th of Dec. Then you'll have to redownload all PSN data (games, movies, DLC) and then you'll have to reinstall all your game data and their updates. So expect to spend at least 2-3 hours (depending on the amount of content you need to redownload) getting everything back to "normal".

PS
You don't need to send back the stock 60gb hdd. I was told not to send an HDD back when I sent in my PS3 because the box that they send you will come with a postage sticker that says the package will weigh 16lbs. I think adding an HDD in there will increase the weight of the package.

However, I was given an new 60gb HDD when I received my refurb/replacement system.

PSS
If you get a system with an Altair decal on it, that's my system.
post #107 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM

aight i'm cool with the fact that my drive will be reformatted, now the only game i'm kinda worried about is resistance 2, i was trying to work on the 10000 kill trophy and i had just gotten to 4000 kills in competitive games now my backup from the 30th i was at about 2500 when i restore from that backup does it lock the kills to the save game or is that on the insomniac servers? that is the last trophy that i needed in that game to get the platinum trophy and i would hate to have to spend all the time again to get those 1500 kills, thanks for your replies
post #108 of 430 Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrah777 View Post

aight i'm cool with the fact that my drive will be reformatted, now the only game i'm kinda worried about is resistance 2, i was trying to work on the 10000 kill trophy and i had just gotten to 4000 kills in competitive games now my backup from the 30th i was at about 2500 when i restore from that backup does it lock the kills to the save game or is that on the insomniac servers? that is the last trophy that i needed in that game to get the platinum trophy and i would hate to have to spend all the time again to get those 1500 kills, thanks for your replies

If it's an online count, then it's tied to the online servers. Just make sure you sync up your stuff if you can!
post #109 of 430 Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM

The only thing you will lose in R2 is your campaign stuff. Since the last patch all your co-op stuff will come back.

I had to start over 3 times, so this last patch shot my rank up big time. I've been playing since the day it came out with over 3mil XP and just got to use the lark for the first time. Got my 20kill the first game. lol
post #110 of 430 Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I ended up selling my 60gb launch console that I sent to sony to get repaired and bought a new 80GB from Sonystyle about a month ago.

I just booted up my PS3 and the fan from the back sounded like a friggin jet engine. I couldn't believe it was coming from the PS3. I put my hand behind and couldn't believe the jet engine of air thatwas coming out of the ps3. after a minute of doing this with no picture it shut down with a blinking red light. i turned it off then back on and it booted up ok...

This is the 4th time I have had a ps3 die on me. looks like I have another dud.... unbelieveable...

post #111 of 430 Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I ended up selling my 60gb launch console that I sent to sony to get repaired and bought a new 80GB from Sonystyle about a month ago.

I just booted up my PS3 and the fan from the back sounded like a friggin jet engine. I couldn't believe it was coming from the PS3. I put my hand behind and couldn't believe the jet engine of air thatwas coming out of the ps3. after a minute of doing this with no picture it shut down with a blinking red light. i turned it off then back on and it booted up ok...

This is the 4th time I have had a ps3 die on me. looks like I have another dud.... unbelieveable...

at least it's still under warranty.
post #112 of 430 Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I am confused. You say it booted up ok and yet you say it died on you and is a dud.
post #113 of 430 Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I am confused. You say it booted up ok and yet you say it died on you and is a dud.

It died and came back to life. If it did it once it will most certainly do it again meaning my console now has a death wish....

post #114 of 430 Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

It died and came back to life. If it did it once it will most certainly do it again meaning my console now has a death wish....

I have two. Both have done what you have described several times. On different occasions both have forced me to reformat the HD as it got corrupted. Neither "died" nor are showing any signs of problems. They did and do what PC's do. As far as the black screen I have had that happen as well and sometimes is just the PS3 failing to boot properly and the HDMI doesn't connect.

My PC's exhibit a lot of the same or worse behavoir. Your PS3 is fine just not flawless.
post #115 of 430 Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Update -

I sent my ps3 off to be fixed by that company listed on ebay. Shipping took a while(ups ground, from Alabama to Michigan and back), but I received my unit one week after shipping it.

I was pleased with the work - I didn't include my hard drive when I sent it, and that wasn't a problem for them. Also, the unit had my copy of Warhawk and would not eject it. When I received the unit back, it worked just fine, and I even had my copy of Warhawk back.

The unit worked for 4 days, then I had controller issues, and finally the unit stopped working completely. I no longer had the YLOD - when the unit powered up, it would stay on, and would respond to the eject button and the power button. But that was it - I never got any audio or video, either over HDMI or the a/v cables. Also, I could never heard the hard drive spin up.

I called the company, and they said they would look at it again. We shipped it off, and they called last night. My wife spoke to them, and they explained that they could not repair the unit. She didn't get the full technical explanation - regardless - it was something they were not equipped to handle. Fortunately, they said they would refund the full amount. The only thing it cost me was shipping, and time. But I'm cool with that.

Now I'm going to pursue the Sony option. The thing that pisses me off is the fact that I never backed up the machine. I'm cool with losing my save games(though that is irritating) - but I also had some photos on that box that are no where else(no other memory card readers in my house). To top it off, I was working the entire time I had the "fixed" unit back, so I never had an opportunity to back it up. So those photos are lost - and now my wife is pissed at me

In the mean time, I went out and picked up the Uncharted 160gb bundle, so my son is happy that he can play LBP, Lego Batman, and Lego Starwars once again.
post #116 of 430 Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 PM

Lets us know how it works out. Sony specifically states they will not work on a unit that has been tappered with, and it will be interesting to hear if they can tell that someone else worked on it. That's the only reason I didn't try to repair mine when it broke...but I was very tempted. lol
post #117 of 430 Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn t-ray, that was not a good read. It does suck. I hope things work out and more importantly, I hope that your wife eases up on you.
post #118 of 430 Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAaron View Post

Lets us know how it works out. Sony specifically states they will not work on a unit that has been tappered with, and it will be interesting to hear if they can tell that someone else worked on it. That's the only reason I didn't try to repair mine when it broke...but I was very tempted. lol

My launch 60 gig died 12 days ago with COD W@W stuck in it. I took mine apart to get the game out. The same day my PS3 was delivered to Sony they shipped a refurbed out to me so I dont think they even inspect them unless its under warranty.
post #119 of 430 Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

My launch 60 gig died 12 days ago with COD W@W stuck in it. I took mine apart to get the game out. The same day my PS3 was delivered to Sony they shipped a refurbed out to me so I dont think they even inspect them unless its under warranty.

you're right phipp, they don't even look at your system.

When I shipped mine to them, I was sent a refurb almost immediately. With doing some research I found out that your broken PS3 goes to a replacement center rather than their repair center. So when you call Sony and they tell you that they're going to look at things and what not, it's a bunch of BS.

I called them back and ask them for a refund considering they gave me false info, but the best they were willing to do was offer me a free game (and the choices were not very appealing).
post #120 of 430 Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Query - when one calls Sony for this refurb/replacement process, does Sony ask for a serial number or any other kind of identifier?

I ask because my ps3 is still in route from Michigan. I'd like to go ahead and get the Sony replacement process started, but I don't want to waste my time if they are going to ask me questions I cannot answer because I don't have the unit physically in front of me.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page