Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

If it turns on without the hd, put the hd back in and see if it turns on again.

The only way to fix the ylod, is to do it yourself, send it to Sony, or use a 3rd party repair facility. It looks like the price for ylod repair has increased to $69.99 from most vendors. You do get a warranty though.
http://www.gophermods.com/index.php?...ct_detail&p=37

How important are your game saves to you? Because the only way to get them is to get your ps3 working again. Sony will most likely send you a refurbished unit if you use them for the repair, and your game saves will be irretrievable , unless you backed them up to external media beforehand.

I pulled the HD and turned it on...no go. :-( I don't have the tools to do it myself. So it's either a third party or Sony. If I have Sony repair it, do I get a warranty? Have you personally had your PS3 repaired by Gopher Mods? I don't care if I lose my game saves. It's an inconvenience to have to restart games, but I'd rather have my PS3 working again instead of spending $300+ to replace it. I'd much prefer to spend $70 plus shipping instead of $150, but how reputable are these third party facilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Here's another question...Am I SOL on the rockband 1 songs??? Do I need to buy the game and the key all over again to get those songs?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Here's another question...Am I SOL on the rockband 1 songs??? Do I need to buy the game and the key all over again to get those songs?

You need the disc to get the songs, but the export key can be used again. Just download it like any other DLC.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks man you've been a huge help!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post

I pulled the HD and turned it on...no go. :-( I don't have the tools to do it myself. So it's either a third party or Sony. If I have Sony repair it, do I get a warranty? Have you personally had your PS3 repaired by Gopher Mods? I don't care if I lose my game saves. It's an inconvenience to have to restart games, but I'd rather have my PS3 working again instead of spending $300+ to replace it. I'd much prefer to spend $70 plus shipping instead of $150, but how reputable are these third party facilities?

I have not had my ps3 repaired by anyone but myself. I had all the tools needed so I gave it a go. Gopher Mods use a $8000 re-flow machine, so I'm sure they know what their doing. I wish I had them repair my ps3, as it was a big hassle doing it myself so many times, as the repair would not last that long. I did retrieve all my data though, and that was my main goal in repairing it myself.

YLOD repairs generally do not last that long. It's just a temporary fix in most cases from what I have experienced personally, and reading other owners comments with their YLOD experience online. I don't know how long Gopher Mod repairs last, but they might know a trick or two, to make it a more permanent fix?

If I was you, I'd call Sony and see if you can trade your PS3 for the new slim model/or brand new phat at a discounted price.

Sony gives you a 3 month warranty with their exchange/repair. If it breaks again after the warranty, you have to shell out another $150.00.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM

So, after reading as many of these posts as I can in the last 30 minutes or so, it seems like most of the YLOD consoles have been the 60 gig ones. I have an 80 gig (Motorstorm bundle one from 12/07). Mine just bricked. Does anyone know if it is basically the same issue? Would be interested in trying the fix-it-yourself method (still have yet to find the instructions--maybe a little more time with this thread and I'll locate them).

Bummed, but not as much as my 9 year old son is!!

PSN: Superabounder
Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superabounder View Post

So, after reading as many of these posts as I can in the last 30 minutes or so, it seems like most of the YLOD consoles have been the 60 gig ones. I have an 80 gig (Motorstorm bundle one from 12/07). Mine just bricked. Does anyone know if it is basically the same issue? Would be interested in trying the fix-it-yourself method (still have yet to find the instructions--maybe a little more time with this thread and I'll locate them).

After a full day researching the issue I have come to the conclusion that it could be multiple things. Since you got it in 2007 you are still covered under warranty....IF you can find the receipt, pretty crap policy on Sony's part.

Anyhow, I just traded a bunch of old DVDs to Amazon that totaled up to $260. Once that clears my wife is going to let me pick up a new slim. I'm just hoping it clears tomorrow so I can get one in time for this weekend!

Downloading all my Rockband tracks will utterly suck though.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Here ya go. There are 6 parts to it, heres the first one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:

I have an 80gb MGS4 unit and it just bricked a few days ago due to the YLOD.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

I have not had my ps3 repaired by anyone but myself. I had all the tools needed so I gave it a go. Gopher Mods use a $8000 re-flow machine, so I'm sure they know what their doing. I wish I had them repair my ps3, as it was a big hassle doing it myself so many times, as the repair would not last that long. I did retrieve all my data though, and that was my main goal in repairing it myself.

YLOD repairs generally do not last that long. It's just a temporary fix in most cases from what I have experienced personally, and reading other owners comments with their YLOD experience online. I don't know how long Gopher Mod repairs last, but they might know a trick or two, to make it a more permanent fix?

If I was you, I'd call Sony and see if you can trade your PS3 for the new slim model/or brand new phat at a discounted price.

Sony gives you a 3 month warranty with their exchange/repair. If it breaks again after the warranty, you have to shell out another $150.00.

Can anyone comment on how long, or short, their repair lasted? If it's likely that I'm going to have to have to get it repaired more than once, I might as well just buy a new slim if Sony won't cut me a break, seeing I'm just outside of my warranty.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
My 60GB PS3 YLOD awhile back and I went round and round with Sony on the repair. They were pretty rude on the phone, wanted $150 for the repair, and will not guarantee that I will a 60GB model in return (in fact I was told I would most likely get a 40GB model). And the warranty is only 90 days, so if the YLOD happens again it is another $150.

I found a place locally that does the YLOD repair for $50. They have an $8-10K reflow machine that they use and their Ebay rating is very high. They also offer a 120 day warranty and have been around for awhile now.

I am going to give them a shot. I figure if it breaks again I will get it fixed for free one more time and then will just cut my losses and get a slim model for $299.

Not happy. I was in a similar situation with my 360 and got rid of it right before Microsoft extended the warranty.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

My 60GB PS3 YLOD awhile back and I went round and round with Sony on the repair. They were pretty rude on the phone, wanted $150 for the repair, and will not guarantee that I will a 60GB model in return (in fact I was told I would most likely get a 40GB model). And the warranty is only 90 days, so if the YLOD happens again it is another $150.

I found a place locally that does the YLOD repair for $50. They have an $8-10K reflow machine that they use and their Ebay rating is very high. They also offer a 120 day warranty and have been around for awhile now.

I am going to give them a shot. I figure if it breaks again I will get it fixed for free one more time and then will just cut my losses and get a slim model for $299.

Not happy. I was in a similar situation with my 360 and got rid of it right before Microsoft extended the warranty.

Sounds like you talked to someone that wasn't doing their job wellat Sony. It will cost you 150, but it will be a refurb 60 shipped back to you. You will get a 60. No one on these boards hasn't gotten back what they sent in. As for the multiple failure....that is always a concern with a hardware failure that they haven't really fixed yet. And more than likely it will be another 150 for an another refurb. The smart thing to do would be to fix it, sell it, and buy a new PS3 with a new warranty. But that is only true if youc an live without PS2 BC.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Sounds like you talked to someone that wasn't doing their job wellat Sony. It will cost you 150, but it will be a refurb 60 shipped back to you. You will get a 60. No one on these boards hasn't gotten back what they sent in. As for the multiple failure....that is always a concern with a hardware failure that they haven't really fixed yet. And more than likely it will be another 150 for an another refurb. The smart thing to do would be to fix it, sell it, and buy a new PS3 with a new warranty. But that is only true if youc an live without PS2 BC.

Yeah, the Sony rep I talked to was rude. I was really trying to be nice to her (well at least at first), but clearly she was having a bad day.

I am going the local route first for $50. I just cannot justify another $150 on my PS3 at this point if they are just going to ship me another 60GB model with a limited warranty and no guarantee that YLOD will not happen again soon. This (YLOD) is obviously a flaw with the 60GB models and Sony should either offer to repair it for free, or for a very fair fee and then offer a 1 year warranty.

Push comes to shove (ie if the local repair does not last), I will sell the PS3 I have for parts and buy a slim. I don't really need BC anymore and mostly use it to watch movies on anyway. But there is the occasional game that I like to play.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the Sony rep I talked to was rude. I was really trying to be nice to her (well at least at first), but clearly she was having a bad day.

I am going the local route first for $50. I just cannot justify another $150 on my PS3 at this point if they are just going to ship me another 60GB model with a limited warranty and no guarantee that YLOD will not happen again soon. This (YLOD) is obviously a flaw with the 60GB models and Sony should either offer to repair it for free, or for a very fair fee and then offer a 1 year warranty.

Push comes to shove (ie if the local repair does not last), I will sell the PS3 I have for parts and buy a slim. I don't really need BC anymore and mostly use it to watch movies on anyway. But there is the occasional game that I like to play.

The 60's are going for a pretty good price on Ebay as of late. You sure you don't want to fix it, make a profit, and possibly not spend a dime on a move towards a slim. You'll get a new warranty and the ability to bitstream the HD audio codecs if that is important to you.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 60's are going for a pretty good price on Ebay as of late. You sure you don't want to fix it, make a profit, and possibly not spend a dime on a move towards a slim. You'll get a new warranty and the ability to bitstream the HD audio codecs if that is important to you.

Well. It will cost me $164 to get it fixed via Sony. It looks like working 60GB PS3's are going for $250-299 on Ebay (mine would have no games and either one or no controller). Let's say I get $275. Minus the repair bill that puts me up $111. I can probably sell it for parts for $100 or so.

Honestly, I am pretty pissed at Sony right now and want to put the least amount of money into getting a working PS3 back. A $50 fix with a 120 day warranty at a local shop seems like the path of least resistance. IF I can get another year out of my PS3, who knows what the slim will be selling for this time next year.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I decided to pick up the Slim and send the unit in to Sony for repair. I'm going to then hawk it and use the money I get to buy another slim for my niece and nephew for this upcoming christmas.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well. It will cost me $164 to get it fixed via Sony. It looks like working 60GB PS3's are going for $250-299 on Ebay (mine would have no games and either one or no controller). Let's say I get $275. Minus the repair bill that puts me up $111. I can probably sell it for parts for $100 or so.

Honestly, I am pretty pissed at Sony right now and want to put the least amount of money into getting a working PS3 back. A $50 fix with a 120 day warranty at a local shop seems like the path of least resistance. IF I can get another year out of my PS3, who knows what the slim will be selling for this time next year.

I thought you were going to go local. 275 - 50 = $225 by my book and you've already covered the cost of the slim. I just checked there were 3 over $300 sold today. Two of which were obvious refurbs. I don't know, I think if you fix it, time it right and put up the right ad you'll get closer to 300. I was willing to take 275, hoped for 325, and got 355 when mine sold a month ago or so. You could always list it up on amazon...they seem to have higher resale value there.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

After a full day researching the issue I have come to the conclusion that it could be multiple things. Since you got it in 2007 you are still covered under warranty....IF you can find the receipt, pretty crap policy on Sony's part.

The warranty for the PS3 is only 1 year though, right? Since I bought it in 12/07, mine is almost 2 years old, so out of warranty. Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the links to the do-it-yourself repair.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The warranty for the PS3 is only 1 year though, right? Since I bought it in 12/07, mine is almost 2 years old, so out of warranty. Or is there something I'm missing?

No you are correct. It is a shame that Sony doesn't realize there is an issue here. Seems strange hat so many 60GB would just start up and dying. I know mine was kept out of a cabinet, in a child free, dust free, spill free environment.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may still be covered under a year extension if you purchased with a CC that offers warranty doubling. Just check with the CC company. One guy posted here that he sent it to sony, submitted receipt for service, and the fee was credited to his CC. It's nice when things work out that way, but not everyone can be so lucky.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:

It may still be covered under a year extension if you purchased with a CC that offers warranty doubling. Just check with the CC company. One guy posted here that he sent it to sony, submitted receipt for service, and the fee was credited to his CC. It's nice when things work out that way, but not everyone can be so lucky.

Dogdoctor...thanks for the tip. I talked with American Express and they do double the factory warranty. Have to go through the claim process which involves submitting a repair estimate so they can decide repair vs. replace.

That is the interesting thing to me because technically if this condition is repaired, my system will not last as long as a new one (as all the discussions on reflow indicate). If Sony exchanges it with what I had, then I only have 90 day warranty.

Wonder if I can find a local electronics company to say that the repair cost is $299 (and then credit card company just sends out a new PS3!) . Don't want to be unethical, but then again, also don't want to have a half-assed repair.

Anyway, will see how this goes. Thanks again for reminding me to check with the credit card company!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dogdoctor...thanks for the tip. I talked with American Express and they do double the factory warranty. Have to go through the claim process which involves submitting a repair estimate so they can decide repair vs. replace.

That is the interesting thing to me because technically if this condition is repaired, my system will not last as long as a new one (as all the discussions on reflow indicate). If Sony exchanges it with what I had, then I only have 90 day warranty.

Wonder if I can find a local electronics company to say that the repair cost is $299 (and then credit card company just sends out a new PS3!) . Don't want to be unethical, but then again, also don't want to have a half-assed repair.

Anyway, will see how this goes. Thanks again for reminding me to check with the credit card company!

Your welcome....but remember Sony isn't doing reflowing as far as we know. You just get a refurb (which to me means someone else's PS3 that had the YLOD, that was kept and had the motheboard replaced). I don't think they've discloced that there is a fix for the problem as much as they just repair it. That is why your just as likely to have it go again in about 2 year. People who do the reflowing aren't replacing the boards, and if not done adequately or there is still a problem with the motherboard that led to the failure in the first place, then yes, it will fail again much more quickly than the Sony repair/replace method. I bailed on my 60 because I had 2 good friends have theirs crap out. I jumped on the chance to get a Slim.

Do remember if you send it to Sony...you will essetially be getting a brand new PS3, but that also means you need to back up info so you can restore it to the new one or all will be lost (and all copy protected material is lost no matter what).

Side Note: Not sure how AMEX is going to handle this but you can't just replace a broken 60gb unless you buy NIB off amazon or Ebay for close to a grand. If they deem replacement value it better be high becuase no PS3 on the market in stores now is the same as your 60GB, and they are cheaper to boot.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

add me to the list.

was playing undharted2 (just got it 2 hours before it bricked)...

My game is stuck in it and i just want to get a new unit, any idea how to get the game out?? (in working condition)

PSN: onemoretry

add me fools
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C OSG View Post

add me to the list.

was playing undharted2 (just got it 2 hours before it bricked)...

My game is stuck in it and i just want to get a new unit, any idea how to get the game out?? (in working condition)

My 60 bricked in early Sept while I was playing Street fighter. I managed to get the disc out. I got it fixed with the PS-pros and it bricked again Saturday playing NFS-Shift. Got the disc out again. Heres what I did
turn the unit off with the switch on the back Unplugged the power cable, let it sit for 5 mins or so. Then plug the power back up, and while holding the eject button flip the switch on the back of the PS3 to power it up. I've found that the as soon as you turn it on with the eject button being held down the ps3 will eject the disc first before it tries to power up and start running...before you get the YLOD. Worked twice for me doing this, so it's worth a shot. Let me know how it works out for ya.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post

My 60 bricked in early Sept while I was playing Street fighter. I managed to get the disc out. I got it fixed with the PS-pros and it bricked again Saturday playing NFS-Shift. Got the disc out again. Heres what I did
turn the unit off with the switch on the back Unplugged the power cable, let it sit for 5 mins or so. Then plug the power back up, and while holding the eject button flip the switch on the back of the PS3 to power it up. I've found that the as soon as you turn it on with the eject button being held down the ps3 will eject the disc first before it tries to power up and start running...before you get the YLOD. Worked twice for me doing this, so it's worth a shot. Let me know how it works out for ya.

If this doesnt work Dan its pretty easy to open it up and get the disc out. Theres quite a few videos on youtube with step by step instruction. I had to open mine up to get the game out when mine died.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

If this doesnt work Dan its pretty easy to open it up and get the disc out. Theres quite a few videos on youtube with step by step instruction. I had to open mine up to get the game out when mine died.

thanks man., an engineer at my job is a pro repair man. he does all audio and video stuff. he repaired a laptop for me in 1 hour. had the whole thing across his desk i was scared to death!

He said $75 and a 1 year warranty.

anyone wanna start bidding on my soon to be fixed 60GB launch model(fully backward compatible).

bought day 1...

add me fools
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C OSG View Post

thanks man., an engineer at my job is a pro repair man. he does all audio and video stuff. he repaired a laptop for me in 1 hour. had the whole thing across his desk i was scared to death!

He said $75 and a 1 year warranty.

anyone wanna start bidding on my soon to be fixed 60GB launch model(fully backward compatible).

bought day 1...

.01 First bid
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

.01 First bid

ouch...

(starting bid $201.01 )

ill include the original controller(not working)
the horizontal stand(no not verical)
extra IEC cable
a 40BG external hard drive
wired mouse and keyboard
and any other useless items i have laying around.

add me fools
Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 PM

I am going to try and fix a co-workers tonight. I have a nice heat gun, and I am going to buy Arctic Silver 5 right after I leave. Sounds like for the most part, I just need some patience and a level clean working surface, and it can be repaired (if it's caused by the chips and not the power supply).

PSN: TheDriftin240 XLive: TheDriftin240
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Followed the PDF written by Gilksy, and it worked out. The 60GB they had in the pics was a bit different than the 40GB that I did, but it's layed out pretty similar.

Up and running again. Co-worker should be happy. Now he can perform a back-up just incase it happens again.

PSN: TheDriftin240 XLive: TheDriftin240

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com