PS3 can't play dual layer DVD's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems getting my PS3 to play dual layer dvd's (DVD+R DL) that I've used to backup my movie collection. The DL DVD+R works fine on my parent's Panasonic DVD player and on my Mac and PC, but not on the PS3. BTW, I'm using a PC and Nero to burin the DVD.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that it's just the particular brand of disk you are using that is incompatible.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

My guess is that it's just the particular brand of disk you are using that is incompatible.

I'm currently using Verbatim DVD+R DL's. Is there a specific brand that is known to work?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post

I'm currently using Verbatim DVD+R DL's. Is there a specific brand that is known to work?

Sony's brand might.

The 5.0 is here
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've actually had the best luck with Verbatim and no luck at all with Memorex. I have read Verbatim DL DVD's in my PS3 but they've been data discs. I can try to burn a movie and see if/how it works. I use Nero 8 myself so I'll see what I can see.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM

My Verbatim DVD+R DL's play perfect in my PS3. I don't use Nero though. I use ImgBurn.

I bleed blu.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

So I went and grabbed 300 (retail disc that I own) off my shelf, threw it in the PC, used Smartripper to copy & decrypt the dual layer disc to my hard drive, and then used Nero Burning ROM to make a DVD-Video disc. I popped it in my PS3 and it worked just fine.

The discs are from a 20 pack with the reorder number 95310. You must have "bad" discs that are either slight physical defects or something that happened when you burned them. Worst case would be your drive in the PS3 is flaky but that would be less likely.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Burn speed can often make a big difference on DL discs, sort of like it used to often matter for plain DVD+Rs before drives got better. DL is still relatively difficult for a drive to read because the low contrast in the dye to begin with is compounded by having to see through one layer to the other, so it takes a very good burn for a reliable disk that will work in most players.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ironic. I use Memorex DL DVD+R and they work like a charm. I also use Nero to burn my movies and images.

(cue Alanis Morisette - It's like raiiiiin.....)
Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You do realize that even the end sellers (Verbatim, Maxell, etc) use different manufacturers of disks from time to time. It's hard to know which are generally good or bad. DL discs can be particularly iffy. Verbatim are generally known as the best and most reliable, that's why they're so damn expensive.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't tried myself with dual layer DVDrs but maybe you are using a crappy branded DVDr? I had a similar issue with single layer DVDrs with both 360 and PS3 and realized the batch I had was bad and rated one of the worst ones, burning bad disks or making them incompatible with other devices. For what it is, I now stick to SONY branded DVDrs as they are made by a manufacturer in the higher tier DVDr business (not the best but the best that are easily available and so far have only had 2 bad burns in some 100+ disks)

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Good suggestions. I believe I'm using an order copy of Nero. I wonder if that could be a contributor.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I had a Sony DVD-burner in my computer several years ago. I think I was the target of a corporate joke, because 1 out of every 4 discs actually burned. Got a new drive, they all worked. I concluded Sony didn't really want you burning anything because they also have a movie studio.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

You do realize that even the end sellers (Verbatim, Maxell, etc) use different manufacturers of disks from time to time. It's hard to know which are generally good or bad. DL discs can be particularly iffy. Verbatim are generally known as the best and most reliable, that's why they're so damn expensive.

This. The Memorex batch of DVD+R DL that I bought turned out to be manufactured by Ricoh and were notoriously the worst discs ever created. I had something like a 95% failure rate for burning which meant I threw almost the entire spool away. Even the two discs that I did get to burn I didnt trust and made second copies of on Verbatim discs.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

This. The Memorex batch of DVD+R DL that I bought turned out to be manufactured by Ricoh and were notoriously the worst discs ever created. I had something like a 95% failure rate for burning which meant I threw almost the entire spool away. Even the two discs that I did get to burn I didnt trust and made second copies of on Verbatim discs.

I too went through the same with Memorex. Bought a 50pack and maybe 10-15 were good I've also had a bad batch of Verbatim as well, 25 pack with 1/2 of them being bad copies. Maybe it was a DVD burner and disk issue, and not just the crappy DVDr disks

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 AM

I've had no problem with the 2 movies I burned so far. One was Transformers, burned onto a Memorex DL DVD, and the other was some Yoga video.

I think it is Memorex, I'll have to check when I get home. I burned them on a Mac (which has a Sony Dual layer burner internal).
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I'm having problems getting my PS3 to play dual layer dvd's (DVD+R DL) that I've used to backup my movie collection. The DL DVD+R works fine on my parent's Panasonic DVD player and on my Mac and PC, but not on the PS3. BTW, I'm using a PC and Nero to burin the DVD.

Thanks.

I am having the same problem with my verbatim dvd+r dl. Did you finally figure out what you have to do to have ps3 play verbatim dvd+r dl?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
http://club.cdfreaks.com/ has lots of good information regarding media and burning programs.