cicuit city's final days bargains - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i searched for a thread on this but couldn't find one.

i thought maybe a thread posting some of their death bed deals might help some of us a few bucks.

i was just at our local circuit city to see what kind of deals they have right now and found that currently as of 1/23(and this is off the top of my head):

10% off - electronics (receivers, ipods, cameras, ps3's, 360's, etc...)

20% off - social games[this is how they had it labeled] - Rock Band 2, Guitar hero world tour

30% off - video game accessories - controllers, charges bases, etc...

0% off - psn & itunes cards - i know, i know. but they had a sale on the psn cards a week ago at target and thought they might drop the price to get rid of em.

if you stop over there and see any other CC final days deals, post em here. or if this is a bad idea, lock or delete the thread... you won't hurt my feelings. much

happy bargain hunting!

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
my local circuity city was highly lacking in PS3 games, a lot of empty slots. there were more wii and xbox360 games on the shelves. I was kinda disappointed, though 10% off isn't that great. 20% off BD movies was a little more tempting though...

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #3 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i agree that 10% off a regular game isn't a great deal, but 20% off rock band which is normally $190 is a mighty good deal. that's almost $40 off.

post #4 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
yeah i finally picked up a denon 789 since i got 60 dollars off....
post #5 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM

7 Reasons to skip the Circuit City liquidation from Sound and Vision

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...quidation.html
post #6 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

^^ I totally agree with their point on pricing. People see the word liquidation and just assume they are getting it for a great price. They do no research on where it was priced at before or where else they could price it at. They just see that word and think, "I just got this at a steal." Nope.

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #7 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

I might pick up some extra controllers, a charge base, and a mini keyboard...

Thanks, OP.
post #8 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The CC I went to the other day still had TONS of stuff. Either the locals are savvy to this sort of "sale" or the economy is worse than I imagined around here.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #9 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneck View Post

^^ I totally agree with their point on pricing. People see the word liquidation and just assume they are getting it for a great price. They do no research on where it was priced at before or where else they could price it at. They just see that word and think, "I just got this at a steal." Nope.

I think if you know what prices are and what to look for you can get some killed deals. Again, rock band 2 for 190$ minus $38 is a nice chunk of change saved.

ps- the Polaris CC in C-bus has a bunch of stuff left.

post #10 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneck View Post

People see the word liquidation and just assume they are getting it for a great price. They do no research on where it was priced at before or where else they could price it at. They just see that word and think, "I just got this at a steal." Nope.

Yep, be careful people: http://consumerist.com/5137962/behol...-sale-is-awful

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #11 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Id never step foot in that place at this point in time. Prices are outrageous!! I worked at CCity for three years and was able to get alot of items at employee and several time at cost or below. My Onkyo tx-sr606 cost me 218.00 shipped direct from onkyo through the CC accommodation and after receiving it in damaged state due to shipping I took it to the store director and he credited me the full 499.99 price and I walked out with a new 606 an HDMI cable and a blu-ray for about 300.00 after employee price. My SONY KDL-32XBR6 I just bought at the beginning of the month was given to me at 799.99 by the same store director from 1299.99. And I havent worked there in over 2 years. Dam im sure going to miss that place....I wonder why they went out of business
post #12 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The longer everybody waits, the better the deals will get.

The four firms handling the liquidation basically bought up all of CC's inventory and their goal is to try and sell it for as much as possible so they can settle the debt with CC's creditors and keep a nice chunk for themselves as profit. As I'm sure previous links say, they basically jack all of the prices back up to MSRP and offer sweeping "discounts" that are really no good.

The more people are able to restrain themselves from these faux liquidation deals, the sooner they will be forced to cut prices drastically to move inventory. Then you may start to see some deals that are worth your while!

Avarice
post #13 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

The four firms handling the liquidation basically bought up all of CC's inventory and their goal is to try and sell it for as much as possible so they can settle the debt with CC's creditors and keep a nice chunk for themselves as profit. As I'm sure previous links say, they basically jack all of the prices back up to MSRP and offer sweeping "discounts" that are really no good.

The more people are able to restrain themselves from these faux liquidation deals, the sooner they will be forced to cut prices drastically to move inventory. Then you may start to see some deals that are worth your while!

The problem is, the populace at large is so uneducated and desperate for any "perceived" deal, that they hear a store is going out of business and they feel like they need to get over there immediately and buy something before everything is gone. When they get there, they realize that the deals aren't that great, but they already wasted gas money and time going over there, so they feel that they can't come out empty handed, so they end up buying something. You would think that it would take forever for them to sell enough of their inventory under this scenario, but you would be dramatically underestimating how many idiots there are.

Thus, I basically end up totally avoiding GOOB sales because the only decent deals come at the very end, and when you get to the very end, nothing of any real value is left.
post #14 of 87 Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Our CC closed before Christmas and I got the following deals in multiple trips:

Rock Band 2 10% Off
LBP 10% Off
GHWT 30% Off
Fallout 3 Collectors Eddition 50% Off
post #15 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post

Our CC closed before Christmas and I got the following deals in multiple trips:

Rock Band 2 10% Off
LBP 10% Off
GHWT 30% Off
Fallout 3 Collectors Eddition 50% Off

"Multiple trips" is the key. You haev to stake these places out to get the best deals.

Also, the item you are buying at 30% off today may be 40% off tomorrow. Or, it may be sold out before the 40% discount goes into effect. As long as you are getting the best price at the moment you make your purchase, you win.
post #16 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder_fbi View Post

"Multiple trips" is the key. You haev to stake these places out to get the best deals.

Also, the item you are buying at 30% off today may be 40% off tomorrow. Or, it may be sold out before the 40% discount goes into effect. As long as you are getting the best price at the moment you make your purchase, you win.

Yep... Pretty solid example of risk vs. reward.

post #17 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybe View Post

7 Reasons to skip the Circuit City liquidation from Sound and Vision

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...quidation.html

#8: Spending money you weren't planning on spending in order to save money on "discounts" isn't saving anything.
post #18 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 AM

[quote=so's your face;15630718]i searched for a thread on this but couldn't find one.

i thought maybe a thread posting some of their death bed deals might help some of us a few bucks.

i was just at our local circuit city to see what kind of deals they have right now and found that currently as of 1/23(and this is off the top of my head):

10% off - electronics (receivers, ipods, cameras, ps3's, 360's, etc...)

20% off - social games[this is how they had it labeled] - Rock Band 2, Guitar hero world tour

30% off - video game accessories - controllers, charges bases, etc...

0% off - psn & itunes cards - i know, i know. but they had a sale on the psn cards a week ago at target and thought they might drop the price to get rid of em.

if you stop over there and see any other CC final days deals, post em here. or if this is a bad idea, lock or delete the thread... you won't hurt my feelings. much

happy bargain hunting!

Just to answer a few questions. There WAS a thread on here about CC's liquidation sale but it was shut down, due to posters putting specific prices on items. I suspect this one will have a short shelf life, as well.

It's obvious that most people, even those that write national articles, don't know what a liquidation sale is and how it is structured. The sale is the GRADUAL sale of merchandise to maximize profit. You can't walk into CC and tell them you will give them X amount of dollars for an item and think that it will be sold to you. The liquidation company starts out by rolling the prices back to full retail(or beyond, in some cases)and starts a % rollback of prices. For instance, 20%(of the inflated price)the first week, then 30%, then 40%, etc, untill all the items are sold. There is an established timetable for the sale, usually 60 days or more. In the case of CC the estimated timeline is March. Of course this could be shortened or expanded, depending on the merchandise sold. During the course of the sale, the liquidation firm is in charge of the sale, not the managers of the liquidated company. It's just like going to a regular store, with posted prices for each item.

Here is what is wrong with the liquidation sale for the "savvy" consumer. When the sale first starts, many "uniformed" shoppers flock to the store and buy the best items, and pay more than the item costs before the sale started. All they see is 20 or 30% off, and they think they are getting a bargain. After most of the good items are sold, your only choice is to wait the sale out until the final stages when the reductions reach 50% or above. Only then will you have gotten any kind of deal, IF you can find something you want.

The last problem with a liquidation is a big one, NO Returns. If you buy a TV and you don't like it, YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. IF you buy something and all the accesories are not included, YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. So "buyer beware" rules this type of sale.

There is something to consider that might help you get a better deal on electronics in the next month. That is to monitor Best Buy. I have already seen some good deals, but you have to look for them. Best Buy can't afford to just stand by and let people buy large items like TV's from CC and lose the revenue stream for a month. When consumers buy a TV, they are generally going to keep that product for several years. So if Best Buy doesn't get these sales, they have lost potential revenue for several years.
post #19 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Since I live in your area, I'm sure you are aware of the liquidations sales in this area. I have a $24 gift card from CC and I'm not going near the place for another 3 weeks, as it's a waste of time. I bought a lot of items from CC, and got better deals than Best Buy, most of the time. I buy smaller items, like cameras and speakers, online. My last purchase at CC was a Denon 988, which was WAY below any online company price. It was one of the best deals I have ever gotten in my life.
post #20 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember seeing some of those crazy deals on the Denon 988 and had to restrain myself!

Avarice
post #21 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I remember seeing some of those crazy deals on the Denon 988 and had to restrain myself!

LOL, I couldn't restrain myself and got a brand new one at $584.96! I went on line and purchased it at the CC website. I went down to the store in St Pete(by the Tyrone Mall). There was a glitch in the inventory and the store actually didn't have it. The girl behind the counter told me that they called me to let me know, but I had left for the store. The girl gave me a $24 gift card, per policy, as they didn't have the merchandise. I was bummed out and asked for the manager. She was SUPER nice(I was nice when I discussed the problem)and she told me to wait a few minutes. She went back on her computer and found one over in Tampa. She actually followed up and called the store to make sure a unit was there. She then said she lived by that store and would pick up the unit ON HER DAY OFF and bring it back to the St. Pete location. So now that $584.96 Denon 988 had a free $24 Gift Card with it! That unit was $1199.00 when it was introduced.

I don't know if you were aware of the "feeding frenzy" over this model at that price, but it was intense. Guys on here were traveling great distances for that Denon, at CC's low price. I decided to re-invest some of my savings back into the receiver. I knew I had 30 days to buy the extended warranty, so I was going to wait(I had already blown my budget for a receiver). A couple of days later I get a call from corporate CC offering me the extended warranty. I wanted a 5 year warranty, as I have had great luck with extended plans. The price was $84.79. Considering all the money I had just saved, plus my free $24 gift card, this was a no brainer. Then she said she would be happy to extend the cost over 4 months! Sold! So I paid roughly $21 a month, until it was paid off. While many people bash CC, I had a lot of good deals with them. I don't usually keep electronics for 5 years, so when it's time to sell my 988, I can offer a prospective buyer a warranty. This formula (buying an EW)has worked for me in selling my TV's.

Just as a heads up for you, I'd keep an eye on the New Port Richey store of CC for some deals in liquidation. That store never did much volume(poor medium income)but they usually had all the top models that the bigger CC stores had in their inventory.

BTW, I love my 988!
post #22 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

I saw game accessories for 10% off today (falls church, va). Any confirmed 30% off purchases?
post #23 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

You would think that it would take forever for them to sell enough of their inventory under this scenario, but you would be dramatically underestimating how many idiots there are.

Well Said..and believe me...I have a pretty good idea of how many idiots there are out there. LOL
post #24 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post

Well Said..and believe me...I have a pretty good idea of how many idiots there are out there. LOL

The sad thing is that where I live there have been so many liquidation sales, that the local stations have all run "special reports" on the practices of liquidation companies and the overly marked up products. But guess what, the very first day of every one of these sales, the people flock there like sheep(had to use that pun because it fit). Never, and I mean NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the consumer, NEVER.
post #25 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I saw game accessories for 10% off today (falls church, va). Any confirmed 30% off purchases?

The 3 cc's in my area have 30% off game accessories. I got the ps3 eye for $24.49 after the 30% off. Their stock is pretty wiped out of accessories though at this point, unless they have more to put out? The DS3's went in the 1st couple of days.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #26 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Liked: 832
pretty much liquidations are a FAIL.

I bet 90% of the stuff being liquidated can be bought on amazon for less.
post #27 of 87 Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM

Here's my approach to liquidation places in case anyone is curious.

1) Unless I'm looking for something particular I don't make any purchase during the first few weeks. For instance right now I bought a PS3, but I've been planning on buying one since December, my car needed care then and I had to wait. I also knew the MSRP/regular price before I walked in, that way I didn't get shafted paying more then it sold for before liq.

2) I won't be returning until I see larger discounts, at least %30 on everything. At that point I will walk in with an idea of things I normally want, examples being, movies, a second controller for the PS3, flash for my Olympus I've been eying for over a year. I will probably walk out of the store with %25 of what I had in mind, but I don't care. That way I look at it as, I got a heck of a deal on a few things I would have bought anyways.

3) Ya still have a gift card? No one said you had to spend it on something large, buy a few Movies or CDs, maybe a memory card for your camera. That's what I'm doing with my redeemed points if they ever come in the mail before the place disappears.

My main thing is I don't shop impulsively, especially at liquidation places. Sure I'll still buy from there while there open, especially since I'm not a best buy person, but I'm not going to go out of my way for something I wouldn't normally buy. Just thought I'd share my approach.
post #28 of 87 Old 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 View Post

Id never step foot in that place at this point in time. Prices are outrageous!! I worked at CCity for three years and was able to get alot of items at employee and several time at cost or below. My Onkyo tx-sr606 cost me 218.00 shipped direct from onkyo through the CC accommodation and after receiving it in damaged state due to shipping I took it to the store director and he credited me the full 499.99 price and I walked out with a new 606 an HDMI cable and a blu-ray for about 300.00 after employee price. My SONY KDL-32XBR6 I just bought at the beginning of the month was given to me at 799.99 by the same store director from 1299.99. And I havent worked there in over 2 years. Dam im sure going to miss that place....I wonder why they went out of business

You ripped them off for almost 300 bucks and then you wonder why they went out of business?

lol

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #29 of 87 Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Would the Rock Band 2 drums fall under the 30% off - video game accessories category?

If so, I should get out and finally get them now.
post #30 of 87 Old 01-26-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Columbus has 30% off accessories. The shelf was pretty well picked through yesterday.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page