AVS Forum banner

MAG (massive action game)

83K views 1K replies 162 participants last post by  Buddyl33 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I cant help but imagine this game is going to a EPIC fail.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant /forum/post/15639100

I think it is being developed by the same guys that did SOCOM. So that is at least a pretty good track record.

This is correct. Zipper, Inc are the people behind the new series M.A.G.

#10 ·

Quote:
The game will fail if PS3 doesn't take off after killzone 2? Not sure I see the logic there. So the developers will sit down after killzone 2 comes out and then decide if they should make MAG any good? Or if killzone 2 does not meet expectations my PS3 will quit working, so I will not be able to play MAG? Help me with the cause and effect here. Is it retroactive, so games like LBP and Warhawk will spontaneous turn into massive fails?

I think he means the PS3 user base won't be large enough to support a game like Mag, especially in countries where less that 100 users will be online at once on one specific title.

#11 ·
How in the hell could they get the maps to be big enough to deal with that many players.

Large online games don't appeal to me, I have the options in Socom and other shooters but I like to keep it to 4vs4 or 8vs8. Maps are generally to large and skill is taken out with that many people running around the maps.

#12 ·
i believe ti is designed to work in the following manner..

128 members per team.

16 members per squad

Each squad assigned a specific task to complete, that will be dependant on the other squads.

Squads are assigned a Squad leader, who can communicate with other Squad leaders and their team, but the regular non squad leaders can communicate with each other, and their squad leader only.

So you wan't actually SEE 256 people on the map.. you may hear them, and will be affected by their actions (did B team defend the bridge? Is so we can cross it, if not, then we have to make our way around some other way.. but won't see them at all.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou /forum/post/15650891

i believe ti is designed to work in the following manner..

128 members per team.

16 members per squad

Each squad assigned a specific task to complete, that will be dependant on the other squads.

Squads are assigned a Squad leader, who can communicate with other Squad leaders and their team, but the regular non squad leaders can communicate with each other, and their squad leader only.

So you wan't actually SEE 256 people on the map.. you may hear them, and will be affected by their actions (did B team defend the bridge? Is so we can cross it, if not, then we have to make our way around some other way.. but won't see them at all.

i hadnt thought of that at all but it makes sense. ONLY seeing ur squad vs the other does pretty much take the M out of MAG though doesnt it?

#15 ·
I'm sure you'll see other squads, and there may even be tasks where that require two or three to cooperate, like three squads have to secure a building by entering from different sides.

I doubt there will be a massive Normandy landing-type event where all 128 are together at the same time. That's just begging for trouble. However, if Zipper thinks they can pull something like that off, more power to them, I'd love to see it.

#16 ·
As I understood it when it was first announced, it will work similar to Resistance 2. Large maps with multiple squads with individual tasks and counter-tasks. So, no, not everyone is in the same place at the same time.

But what sets it apart from R2 (other than a greater sense of "realism") is that I think there are squad leaders that have some amount of control over a squad's objectives. IIRC there may also be battle commanders that can give overall orders to multiple (all?) squads.

#17 ·
I thought at E3 last year they mentioned that it would be 8 people per squad?

#18 ·
KS is right 8 per squad and an overall commander who controls the squad leaders, and hence the squads. He will be receiving updates in game that will tell/direct him on what his objectives are and what he needs to do.

I pity the first few people who get picked at random when the game comes out

Sussposedly as you get better and rank up you may get to the overall commander status. Standing on a hill looking down on the battlefield just doesn't give me the "I want to be that guy" feeling

There should be a video on the PSN store which explains this from last year.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/15650335

I think he means the PS3 user base won't be large enough to support a game like Mag, especially in countries where less that 100 users will be online at once on one specific title.

I would think you could still play with 100 people, which would still be pretty wild. 256 being the maximum, but I suspect the minimum is far less than that number. In Warhawk, I play on other country servers frequently... I can't understand a word they are saying
. So people should be able to get in a game somewhere... obviously lag is going to be the major obstacle for the designers to overcome.

#20 ·
I like this title much better than the other title they were considering, "Full Action Game"...

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner /forum/post/15653527

I like this title much better than the other title they were considering, "Full Action Game"...
... I peed a little reading that one!

I heard that they had to change it from "Fully Uncontrolled Chaotic Killing" to "Full Action Game" to "Massive Action Game"

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner /forum/post/15653527

Well, as you can assume with this much action they are expecting a lot of people to play for a long time. For some reason they dropped "Game All Year".

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop /forum/post/15651671

Does that mean the first M in MMORPG doesn't apply then either...?

The only MMO I've ever actually played had about 35,000 chars on my server, even if you divide that by the number of possible chars per acct (5) thats 7000 people. I'd call that pretty massive.

#24 ·
I watched a PS3 press conference, I think it was at E3, and they talked about it and had gameplay videos from it. Looks promising if it's done the right way. From the looks of it you can drive tanks, fight on foot, planes/helicopters?, I can't remember everything b/c it's been a while but it basically looked like an all out war with a ton of people playing at the same time. Cool concept if they can execute it.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/15653999

I watched a PS3 press conference, I think it was at E3, and they talked about it and had gameplay videos from it. Looks promising if it's done the right way. From the looks of it you can drive tanks, fight on foot, planes/helicopters?, I can't remember everything b/c it's been a while but it basically looked like an all out war with a ton of people playing at the same time. Cool concept if they can execute it.

Oh no... don't ever mistake CGI for gameplay. You'll be highly disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.