Rockstar unveils Red Dead Redemption - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
God damn you Law 101 here in Quebec. I pre-ordered from Best Buy to get the War Horse. With the Law 101, everything most be in french and english so the box is written in english and french and we get an extra manual all in french. For the pre-order bonus, I got a french card telling me about the War Horse, that he's the fastest, strongest,blablabla. And how to redeem my code and that my code is on the english card... But...I only have a French card and no english card! So no code!

I'm gonna call Best Buy today and see where I can get my code. Not having the horse isn't game breaking but hey,I want the black badass horse

Played for an hour last night, pretty fun so far. I saved a prostitute last night by shooting the guy and wasn't wanted. but I learned a lesson.. don't show your knife in front of a drunk dude outside the saloon... he'll shoot you down FAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

seriously, rockstar made a game where you can't buy a prostitute? i've tipped my hat to a handful of them, and when they offer their services, marston always replies, "thanks, but i'm a married man."

wtf, rockstar? the sex scenes with hookers are always good for a laugh in gta games, so i don't know why they would exclude them from this game. not to mention killing them right after to get most of your money back. lol.

Im glad they took that out ,but the box says strong sexual content and nudity ?
post #273 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM

I finally kept a horse long enough for it to be more loyal to me.....just as we were falling to it's death from a cliff..... dammit.....

I stopped at some dude's farm, saw what I though was a coyote/fox/etc with all the dude's chickens......BOOM...dead......oh crap, i shot the guy's dog and now he's crying.... I felt like crap.... so I killed all his chickens and horses.... Hey, chicken feathers are worth a buck a piece!

I've had so much fun just wondering around shooting every little critter that moves. I keep getting distracted on my way to missions. Riding a long......DEER!! BOOM!!! skin....OOOH!!!! Armadillo!!!! BOOM.....now, what was I doing again????? lol

THis game is so much fun. It pretty much is Grand Theft Horse but my God is it ever a blast.

One more thing: the showdowns (or whatever they are called) I didn't get to read the entire tutorial the first time and even though I won both, I really have no idea what any of the lines on the red and blue bars mean or what's going on..... anyone know how that whole thing works?

post #274 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

This is gonna be a long day at work. I only played for an hour, just enough to tease me and now I just want to go play tonight.

I didn't do half the stuff you guys did, I need a good 2-3 hours to just free roam and enjoy what is there.
post #275 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

My anticipation for this game reached nuclear levels. Here's proof: Yesterday morning I discovered a beefy packaged from Rockstar Games on my doorstep and I tore it open like it a 5year old on x-mas morning. Inside I found both copies of the game, gamblers dice bound in leather, black 'Eradicator' soap, deadmans playing cards and a super-short Red Dead Redemption shirt--I nearly fainted. Felt very fortunate.

So yes, clearly I was hyped for an experience of a life time. This excitement mostly stemmed from my love for the open-world genre, GTA4 as a whole and Rockstar's pedigree. Additionally I felt that we, as gamers, have had very little opportunity to experience a compelling western game and this was our most likely our best shot.
So there I was, the game had finished installing itself, I was sitting at the menu system and I was ready to see what Rockstar San Diego had spent so much time (4 years i beleive) working on. My initial impression after playing for about an hour? Frustration. It started with:

The Horse
I was pissed off and fairly disappointed with one of the most important mechanics in the game--the horse riding. It handled horribly. I tolerated it through the tutorial mission where you race against Bonnie (btw thanks for the paragraph of tutorial text while riding a speeding horse on a twisty road Rockstar--great idea!) through the ranch, but it lead to my horse squirreling out of control and me saying "WTF is going on here!" I failed the race 3 times because my damn horse was getting stuck on fences and trees. I kept pulling back on the left-stick to slow the horse down instead of hitting the RB, I mean what sense does that make? Additionally I hated the fact that you have to mash the A button to race forward because, now, my right thumb was too busy to let me look around with the right stick.

But I stayed with it and after a few hours I really started to become comfortable with it. I think this is partially my fault and partially Rockstars. For some reason I expected this horse to handle like Zeldas Epona or the horse in Assassin's Creed, and the fact that it didn’t really annoyed me. What took me a bit to realize is that Rockstar really wants to make a horse riding mechanic that is their own and isn’t like the cars in Vice City, but more like the cars in GTA4. This is to say the horses handled more realistically.

I'll not forget the moment I felt like I mastered horse riding controls. I was walking through Armadillo at night and some bandits came riding through town screaming, laughing, yelling as they fired off their 6-shooters into the night’s sky. It wasn’t until they passed me by that I saw an innocent woman screaming for help as she was violently dragged behind them. I quickly called for my horse (love this), jumped on her back, spun around and quickly rode after the scumbags to save her. The chase ended about a mile out of town as I took potshots at them. Suddenly I remembered the Dead Aim system and quickly initiated it! I ended up killing all 4 of the men, with head shots no less. When the effect wore off I watched in amusement as all 4 bandits fell off their horses flopping to the dusty ground. One actually still had a foot stuck in one of the horses’ stirrups and the startled horse dragged his body alongside as it took off. I Looked around at the bodies and felt like a total badass. It was just one of those moments where all the games systems came together beautifully.

So it was a payoff for sticking with the game but I don’t know how many other people are willing to go through the same initial feelings as I and press on.

Graphics
This game is gritty, dirty, raw and I like it. It can be a little bland to looking at first—especially if you're not seeing it at the right time of day--but there are such subtle details in the environment and animations that make this game really stand out. I do think that the frame rate can dip down too often (X360) at times--particularly during some cutscenes and horse riding events--but it’s not really enough to have a lasting negative effect.

The characters I've encountered so far are, of course considering Rockstars track record, filled to the brim with personality. No one does this stuff like Rockstar. There is always seriousness at the core of Rockstars narratives, but there is a certain levity that some outrageous and wacky characters bring and RDR is no excpetion. I know that these can feel a little long to some--perhaps because they just want to get to the action, and who can blame them--but I do feel like Rockstar is really good at getting to their point quickly without tediously long or overelaborate cutscenes.

Music
I love the music and soundtrack--it's perfect. It's dusty, it's spaghetti, it's got additude and its sets the mood.

Side Stuff & Notes
I love the side stuff. Poker is really fun, and a great way to make money. Five-finger filet is harder than I thought it would be, but man, Horse shoes it the most difficult (I haven’t won a single game hehe).

The treasure hunting is rad. I like that it forces clues on to you as you must explore and think about the whereabouts. Its not just an "X" marks the spot.

Last night I chased a Stallion around and when I finally gave up be stopped to eat...ON a train track. Out of curiosity I waited to see what would happen when a train approaches. Would the horse notice and run away? Would it end up a chunk mess? Well, lets just say that there was a LOT of blood involved.

So I think this game--with it's slow plot progression and awkward horse riding mechanic--is a bit of a slow burn, but it does appear that it's going to pay off. We'll see if this game has legs.
post #276 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice comments Warcrow.

I can agree with the horse at the start but I got the twist pretty far. I won the race pretty easily even if I did got stuck a couple of times behind rocks and such. The horse doesn't turn 90 degre very fast I like the reference you make with GTAIV since the car needed some time getting used to them, it's the same with the horse.

For the graphic, the colors we pretty fade/pale on default setting so I tried different setup on my TV (Dynamic,Standard and Movie). Standard was ok but I wasn't happy. Went with the ingame setting, and the game look stunning right now.

I like just riding in the wild west listening to the music and picking flowers... didn't chase any animals yet, only WILD FLOWERS

I'm only 1 hour or so in and I didn't try everything the game has to offer yet.
post #277 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I have similiar thoughts as warcrow after 1 day with the game. I played about 3 or 4 hours of single player and about 2 hours of multiplayer. Once I got used to riding the horse, I have very few complaints about the single player. It just seems to keep getting better and better. And once I was comfortable with the controls, I could just sit back and enjoy the game. The landscape is amazing and the sound is equally as good. For anyone worried about the graphics, they're much better than GTA4 and are beautiful during all parts of the day/night.

The multiplayer I was having a ton of fun with. We had 6 or 7 guys in a posse and we took out 3 or 4 gang hideouts with great success. We were goofing around with horses, donkeys, stagecoaches, etc. Riding around the entire map shooting things (and each other). After about an hour and half, the servers went crazy as people were getting booted left and right and receiving error messages. At one point I rode around on my horse invisible for 2 or 3 minutes...this happen to other people as well...they would randomly be invisible, or their gun/horse/etc would disappear and then reappear...really weird. I'm assuming it could've been b/c the servers were flooded on release day...hopefully that's the reason!

Once you're used to the confusing online menus and assuming it runs halfway smooth, MP can be a lot of fun.

I can't wait to get home and play the crap out of the single player. There is so much to do and it's only just begun!

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #278 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM

@grand sport - "Grand Theft Horse" - Ha!
post #279 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM

I got the game yesterday morning and played SP for a couple hours and MP for about an hour to slowly get the hang of it. I have a few questions if anyone could help me to understand. I never really played the GTA series, so this type of game is pretty new to me.

1.I bought my copy from gamestop. When I try to use my code it keeps giving me some kind of server error. Did anyone have this problem? My internet connection is fine since I can play MP, but for some reason my code wont work. I do use the dashes and use caps on all the letters that are shown in caps.

2.If there is a mission or side mission/game to do, is it possible to do them over? For example, when I raced Bonnie, I lost, but is there a way to race her again? I tried trotting around her home and what not, but couldn’t figure out a way to re-race her LOL. Also, in Armadillo, a lady asked for my help to find her boy who was taken by some bad men. I looked at my map and saw a purple dot wherein I figured that’s where I needed to go. So I plotted my route there, but when I got to that point, there was nothing there? Maybe I am being naïve, but I’m guessing I should have hopped off the horse and wandered around a bit? Is there a way to restart that side mission? Or is it ongoing and just need to go back to that area on the map?

4.In regards to MP, myself and a few of my friends went into the free roam area. We then made a posse. If we want to play another form of MP and not just free roam, I noticed one of us would need to go into a different game, and then have to reinvite everyone to be in the posse. Is there a way to maintain the current posse, or is this how it is setup?
post #280 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Great reviews keep them coming going to pick this up in the next few days.

I did watch the gametrailers on spike maybe last week and they had a section on the horse controls they said the were going for a more real feel and some "lack of control" since hey a horse isnt easy to handle, cant stop and turn on a dime etc. Didnt want it to feel like it was just gliding like other games. Im interested to test this for myself cause the first thing that came to mind was the "realism" of car handling in gta4.
post #281 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo57 View Post

1.I bought my copy from gamestop. When I try to use my code it keeps giving me some kind of server error. Did anyone have this problem? My internet connection is fine since I can play MP, but for some reason my code wont work. I do use the dashes and use caps on all the letters that are shown in caps.

This is pretty rampant on the Xbox. People are reporting that it's working today, though.

Quote:

2.If there is a mission or side mission/game to do, is it possible to do them over? For example, when I raced Bonnie, I lost, but is there a way to race her again? I tried trotting around her home and what not, but couldn’t figure out a way to re-race her LOL. Also, in Armadillo, a lady asked for my help to find her boy who was taken by some bad men. I looked at my map and saw a purple dot wherein I figured that’s where I needed to go. So I plotted my route there, but when I got to that point, there was nothing there? Maybe I am being naïve, but I’m guessing I should have hopped off the horse and wandered around a bit? Is there a way to restart that side mission? Or is it ongoing and just need to go back to that area on the map?

I haven't failed a mission yet (of the grand total of 4 that I've done), but in all past Rockstar games when you failed a mission you just had to go talk to the person again. You can find them by their icon on the map. RDR adds the ability to replay missions you've completed from the menu. They are under the journal menu item in the pause menu. You can't replay missions given to you by strangers. If you fail them you have to go find the person again, but they don't show up right away. Some side missions can also go inactive for awhile and then you'll run into a stranger who will give you more to do. For the side missions you have to go to the big purple circle on your map, at which point it should disappear and be replaced by a purple question mark in a more precise area. You will have to get off your horse and do something, generally.
post #282 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday View Post

@grand sport - "Grand Theft Horse" - Ha!

I can't take credit for coining that phrase but it is pretty funny

I actually checked ebay at lunch today and there were 228 PS3/Xbox codes being auctioned off for this game. The top one was at $61 with 6 bids. There were a bunch in the $30-50 range with bids on them..... for a FREE code!?!? I see no problem making money off of stupid people that are willing to pay for things like this but sheesh..... $60 for the game plus another $60 for a golden gun code!?!?!? I love this game but at $120 I'd hope you guys would question my sanity......

It wouldn't take my code last night...maybe I'll have my coworker put it on fleabay for me at those prices....

post #283 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
That's amazing that people are getting $40 for the golden guns on ebay! That's basically a free game ($20 amazon giftcard and $40 for the guns).

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #284 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've played about 6 hours of the SP. I love it. Don't want to quit.

I like the horse mechanics...they feel real. It's an animal, not a machine.

Hogtying is fun. Train tracks. 'Nuff said.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #285 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
People just love to complain.

If the horse mechanics were dumbed down and made real easy, a segment would be complaining about that.

(one could technically argue, that I am complaining about the people complaing... LOL!!!)

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #286 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For those amazon orderers...have the golden guns codes come in already? Or are people selling in Ebay what they are projected to have. Amzon told me the codes should go out in email fashion in next 2 - 10 business days.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #287 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

For those amazon orderers...have the golden guns codes come in already? Or are people selling in Ebay what they are projected to have. Amzon told me the codes should go out in email fashion in next 2 - 10 business days.

I got my golden guns code from Amazon at about 1am PST this morning. I have not yet received the $20 gift card code yet, though.
post #288 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

My copy from Amazon had a card in the box with the code printed on the card. I had pre-ordered if a few weeks ago with Release-Day shipping.

I haven't entered mine in yet - just played 1-2 hours last night. I never would have imagined I could sell my code (unused of course) for almost the entire price I paid for the game.
post #289 of 653 Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo311 View Post

I got my golden guns code from Amazon at about 1am PST this morning. I have not yet received the $20 gift card code yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

My copy from Amazon had a card in the box with the code printed on the card. I had pre-ordered if a few weeks ago with Release-Day shipping.

I haven't entered mine in yet - just played 1-2 hours last night. I never would have imagined I could sell my code (unused of course) for almost the entire price I paid for the game.

lol. I just opened the game and in the box there is the code for the Golden Guns. Maybe Amazon will send me one I can sell or give away to an AVS user.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #290 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 AM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=704

360/ps3 comparision. 720p/640p, story from kotaku.com

really sucks. still a great game nonetheless but you know how it is.
post #291 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesskid1 View Post

Who really cares (besides you, obviously, since you posted it in both forums)? I own both machines and still bought it for the PS3. I am happy with my experience so far, so why would I care about the other machine at this point?

Pixel counters and fanboys can enjoy the difference. No one else should really give a crap.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #292 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Who really cares (besides you, obviously, since you posted it in both forums)? I own both machines and still bought it for the PS3. I am happy with my experience so far, so why would I care about the other machine at this point?

Pixel counters and fanboys can enjoy the difference. No one else should really give a crap.

Easy there dude. For some people who own both systems, maybe it's important to them.

I personally say get it for the system that you have the most friends to play with online.... but everybody's got preferences right?

Jeff

Live- xGUMBIx
PSN- xGUMBIx
post #293 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesskid1 View Post

Wow.. I have the PS3 version of the game. My "info" bar on my HDTV says it's running at 720p. Those screens shots for the PS3 doesn't seem accurate to me, looking at the game as I play it, I see things much more sharp and clear with more detail than in those screen shots....

psn: Avious
post #294 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My version is better looking than that but oh well, more fanboy war.

Got the chance to play a little bit more last night and got the lasso Very fun for catching bad guys!

The random stuff is very nice, I got to save a treasure hunter while wandering to hunt/pick flower and got also found a weird guy camping... with a little surprise

Did some chaos last night after I saved, had a 350$ bounty on my head only for killing 3 sheriffs
post #295 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

The random stuff is very nice, I got to save a treasure hunter while wandering to hunt/pick flower and got also found a weird guy camping... with a little surprise

I arrived as the would be thieves killed the treasure hunter and turned their guns on me. A couple of headshots later, and I have a new guilt free treasure map and a couple of extra bucks and bullets.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #296 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The horse controls are decent. I think they got the inspiration from Shadow of the Colossus since they seem almost the same, except the controls on RDR are more forgiving. Lame horse controls would be like the horses in Assassin's Creed.

And for graphics. I sit like only a few feet away from my TV and think they look good (PS3), but can seem a bit blurry, and some of the low-res ground textures can be distracting. There is also a lot of pop-in grass when walking around. However, for a game of this magnitude and detail, it is very impressive. I'm just not a Wild West fan, and the aesthetics and scorching hot cactus punctuated environment can make me sick at times, coupled with the humidity in my room for all the realism I DON'T need. The night time sky is also kind of boring, but its cool when you hear thunder and lightning a few seconds after you see a flash in the horizon and it goes oomph, during a storm.

I haven't tried shooting Bonnie yet, but it is so tempting. She has the most annoying voice. And the "Hello Mr. So and So" and "Thank you Miss So and So". One can only stand so many awkward formalities back to back in 5 seconds. From being polite to being excessive and a running gag.

My second bounty hunt I was knee deep in a lake (the horse's knees) and decided to dismount. INSTANT DEATH! No animation at all. Straight to the DEAD screen.

I've encountered one large hiccup when I was taking away my first roped bounty on horseback. There were half a dozen men chasing me and my horse bucked me off when all the men were on-screen and almost touching. It all turned into a slideshow from there. I tried moving a short distance away and opening the menu to switch to an actual gun but the game froze while holding the L1 button and my PS3 restarted.

I don't like the soundtrack, cuz I'm not a Western fan.

And I laugh at all you people complaining about pre-orders. I got my rental from Gamefly, and only a day after release! For once, I'll actually be the one getting the games first and laughing at all the people staring at "low" availability in their gameQ. And to top it off, Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands that was released on the same day, is arriving today! Oh how the tables have turned.
post #297 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Got back into town yesterday afternoon. Unpacked, took care of some business around the house and by 8:30 I was out the door to find my copy of RDR.

First stop was Gamestop since I have a $20 credit, but they were sold out except for pre-orders. Minutes after I showed up, two other guys came in looking for the game.

So I went across the parking lot to Super Target. There were about 3 copies left. The dude getting it out of the case couldn't stop talking about how jealous he was of everyone coming in and getting the game, and the cashier piped in with how awesome the game is.

Got home, played a couple hours, came across many of the same missions I've read about so far (plus some others), and came to the conclusion that.........THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!

Seriously. This is the best game I've played in a long time. I love it. 2 hours went by like 20 minutes. I was half tempted to call in sick today just to play more - which is an urge I haven't had since my Nintendo days.

One question: I bought a 'rare plants/herbs' booklet with the intention of making some money on picking those while exploring. I went into the menu and 'activated' it........and nothing. Then a half hour later it told me that the map has expired.

How do I actually 'use' a purchased map in the game?

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #298 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 AM

yea that map is only good a small time , hit tria key I think when buying something for info on it, the other maps I bought didnt say that - but also didnt seem to do much - I just ride around and find it all anyway - the herbs do show up on ur hud mimi map thing on right - w/ symbl when you get near it, so not to hard - some of them are localed in certain areas to - that fold out map that came w/ game works well to lol

hunting is still best past time so far - giving that knife a work out skinning all the animals lol

PSN:aquasal
The weekend group
post #299 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM

My copy is out for delivery. It's going to be a long day at work.

PSN: Drew919

Origin ID: Drew919
post #300 of 653 Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

I arrived as the would be thieves killed the treasure hunter and turned their guns on me. A couple of headshots later, and I have a new guilt free treasure map and a couple of extra bucks and bullets.

I didn't gave the thieves a chance to kill the hunter. BOOM headshots! The hunter was so happy that he gave me the map free

for the other camping guy that had a woman all tied up.. i wanted to drop her off in front of a train track but GF didn't want me to do it so I cutted her free... and then lassoed her back again after that she ran away screaming : "You crazy man, help me!" Love it
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page