Rockstar unveils Red Dead Redemption - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yaaaaaaay my copy will finally show up today, the wait for this game has taken forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

Maybe not. So, hold L2 and R2 and wait for the X's. But what do I do to start shooting?

After it says "Draw", I hold L2, position the gunsight, and try to click R2 when the sight is small and white for each of the shots I want to make. This usually works fine, but sometimes I die and have no idea why.

I'm not sure what the gauges on the right mean. Probably timing of the shots or projected damage or something. They really didn't explain it well.

- Jer
post #453 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

After it says "Draw", I hold L2, position the gunsight, and try to click R2 when the sight is small and white for each of the shots I want to make. This usually works fine, but sometimes I die and have no idea why.

I'm not sure what the gauges on the right mean. Probably timing of the shots or projected damage or something. They really didn't explain it well.

- Jer

When it says "Draw" I hold L2 to aim with my gun, aim with the joystick and mark the target with R1. Once my meter is full, it automatically fires. (And I'm using expert aiming if it makes any difference about the damn sucky auto-aim in duels ). Never lost any duel this way yet.

Didn't know you can shot with R2, does it mark the target or it just shoot?
post #454 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

Maybe not. So, hold L2 and R2 and wait for the X's. But what do I do to start shooting?

As soon as it says "DRAW" it goes into Dead Eye mode.... hold down L2 and move the red X onto where you want to hit the target then hit R2 for each shot. It will shortly go out of Dead Eye mode and automatically fire off each of those shots in succession.
post #455 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

wow the graphics in this game are fricking incredible
post #456 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 PM

What are good beginning tactics? I'm going to pick this up tomorrow, on account GameFly sent me Alpha Protocol today. What a POS that game is!

I know not to buy a horse deed, since you can just whistle for any horse if you lose yours. Second, finish the story until you get your lasso. You can use that to rustle up a horse, game or people.

What other beginner tips do you have for me? What would you do different from the beginning if you know now what it's all about?
post #457 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

What are good beginning tactics? I'm going to pick this up tomorrow, on account GameFly sent me Alpha Protocol today. What a POS that game is!

I know not to buy a horse deed, since you can just whistle for any horse if you lose yours. Second, finish the story until you get your lasso. You can use that to rustle up a horse, game or people.

What other beginner tips do you have for me? What would you do different from the beginning if you know now what it's all about?

Money is so easy to come by that I say definitely buy one of the best horse deeds (two will be locked until you find them, but one becomes available thanks to the mission that gets you the lasso). You can always just whistle for a horse, but you will never (maybe almost never, I never have) get one of the good horses without using the deed.
post #458 of 653 Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

As soon as it says "DRAW" it goes into Dead Eye mode.... hold down L2 and move the red X onto where you want to hit the target then hit R2 for each shot. It will shortly go out of Dead Eye mode and automatically fire off each of those shots in succession.

Thanks for the help. I have to give it a try tomorrow.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #459 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM

In Quickdraw you ussually only need one shot to shoot the gun out of the guys hand if done correctly. Some quickdraws require you to kill the guy so you need to max out the gauge with as many shots as you can.

post #460 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

If you want to be a good guy... don't open chest in houses for money even if you think there is no one near Money isn't a real issue so it's not worth the trouble with Ze Law.

You can also get the horse deed for the horse you get in the Lasso's mission OR be really careful with your horse and not let it die. The horse you get in this mission is one of the top 3 in the game, so it's worth it to keep it IMO.

There is challenges for collecting flowers, I've wasted alot of time collecting the same kind over and over instead of doing the challenge.. more money but still
post #461 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 AM

Loot everyone and you will never run out of money or ammo....unless you suck at poker as bad as I do

Challenges
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Kill 3 bears with one shot each was easier than I thought. Bolt action rifle plus face shot on charging bear equals a pile of bear carcasses. After i had a pile of about 6 or 7 carcasses they finally stopped coming.

Killing 2 cougers with the knife is a little tougher. I got one so far but now if I shoot one in the leg and dismount I end up chasing the darn thing forever and can't catch up to it to stab it. Oh, and I've lost about five horses to the darn things trying for this one too....

I was watching one of the "Amerca The Story of US" on the History channel and it inspired me to take out an entire herd of buffalo with a sniper rifle There's some real money in those things.

Anyone want to pick a date/time to possey up? We did this once on a saturday afternoon in BF1943 and had about 16 people show up.

post #462 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be down for riding with the posse.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #463 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand sport View Post

...snip...

Anyone want to pick a date/time to possey up? We did this once on a saturday afternoon in BF1943 and had about 16 people show up.

I'm in. This weekend has possibilities.

PSN: SpeedyMcHaggis
post #464 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Being summer time I'm sure a saturday afternoon would be tough but maybe friday night? Sat night? Sunday? Thursday night? Suggestions?
I'm pretty flexible except sunday morning (autocross.)

post #465 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll probably be on tomorrow night. My GF is working and I need to get up early so I will be taking it smooth playing some PS3.
post #466 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man this game is so full of bugs and glitches. Way to go rockstar.

Samsung 58B650 plasma|Pioneer Elite SC-71|Polk CS2|2-Polk Monitor 70s|2-Polk Monitor 40s|Energy ESW‑C10
post #467 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymanhb View Post

Weird that everyone complain. I haven't encountered alot of glitches, only one once in a cutscene.

Anyways, with a game that big it's normal to have some issues. IMO those bugs/glitches aren't game breaking so I'm just enjoying the game without beeing nitpicky.

One annoying bug I had tho was the sound glitch but I found the reason... me reloading my game 5 times in a row because I wasn't able to shoot 2 hats in a row
post #468 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Weird that everyone complain. I haven't encountered alot of glitches, only one once in a cutscene.

Anyways, with a game that big it's normal to have some issues. IMO those bugs/glitches aren't game breaking so I'm just enjoying the game without beeing nitpicky.

One annoying bug I had tho was the sound glitch but I found the reason... me reloading my game 5 times in a row because I wasn't able to shoot 2 hats in a row

My character keeps falling through the map in a scripted part of a mission(360 version)....so I can't pass it. I'm 40% done with 10 hours in too. Same thing happened to me in vice city.

Samsung 58B650 plasma|Pioneer Elite SC-71|Polk CS2|2-Polk Monitor 70s|2-Polk Monitor 40s|Energy ESW‑C10
post #469 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My character keeps falling through the map in a scripted part of a mission(360 version)....so I can't pass it. I'm 40% done with 10 hours in too. Same thing happened to me in vice city.

Wow that sucks I'm around the same % and play time but never experienced anything like that. That's a really annoying bug, can't do the scripted part another way to prevent this? Like find alternate path?
post #470 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much without the bugs. Just when things start getting really serious, I'll see a guy and his horse's head just peeking out of a boulder, riding and screaming in terror the whole time. Comic relief bugs can be good in this game's darker moments!

I'd put RDR's open-world bugginess about on par with Fallout 3. Worse than most, but far from game-breaking.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #471 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the bugs I've encountered have been pretty amusing. The sliding gate mohawk was the first.

Then, I got a horse and buggy back for a guy that had been stolen. When he thanked me, and drove away, his suitcase didn't go with him. It simply hung in the air like it was magic. I thought to myself, "No wonder they robbed him--he has a magic floating suitcase!"

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #472 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've only encountered one glitch after 26 hours of play: I sat down for a game of poker and all the players were polygons in cowboy clothes. I would like to see more. Definitely a great part of the game.
post #473 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Rockstar is working on a patch and aiming for next week

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094524p1.html

Quote:

Developer Rockstar Games is aware of the issues players are experiencing with Red Dead Redemption and will look to patch up the game when a new title update is released sometime next week.

"We are aware that there are still some of you out there experiencing issues with Red Dead Redemption, including multiplayer connectivity and getting the Mo Van Barr bounty," Rockstar said. "We are currently testing a Red Dead Redemption title update for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that aims to fix these and other items"

As a reward for putting up with the game's bugs, Rockstar said it will release the Expert Hunter and Savvy Merchant outfits, and related challenges later this summer for free.

A co-op mission pack is slated for release for free later this month as well.

post #474 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM

I have really enjoyed the game thus far, but I do have two complaints, and one is a large one. My game freezes the system. Sometimes I can play for three hours straight and everything is fine, other times it can happen 3 times in an hour. Everything on the screen freezes and I have to reboot the PS3. I am hoping that this fix resolves this. The other issue I have is with occasional artifacts, like long lines that extend from a point in the horizon to the sky, but this happens rarely.
post #475 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does this game look kinda washed out to anyone else? I have to use the black corrector setting on my tv that crushes blacks to make it look ok. I had my ps3 set to limited/tv set to auto after going back and forth a lot in the past but this game has me looking at switching the TV/PS3 back to full/full and see if it looks better

my picture looks a lot more washed out than what i see here
http://www.youtube.com/v/YZdaGaX3aiE...utoplay=1&hd=1

I wonder if the game was designed for 0-255, or 16-235

anyway just wondering if this game looked off to anyone else or if its just me.
post #476 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post

my picture looks a lot more washed out than what i see here
http://www.youtube.com/v/YZdaGaX3aiE...utoplay=1&hd=1

The stuff in that video is all pretty mellow lighting-wise, so it's not a very good reflection of the typical brightness levels. The game is overall very bloom-happy. It should look a bit washed out, especially during the middle of the day (even more so in the very light-sanded places like Mexico). But you should still be able to make out texture details clearly. If not, your display settings may be a bit off.

post #477 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well i just started the game so i compared the start there to the one in the video and those side by side didn't look the same, mine looks a bit washed out, l like the gama or brightness is too high. The greys seem too grey basically

its got me tweaking with the rgb full/limited settings all over agan and i thought id left those alone >_<<br />
maybe i should just mess with the in game brightness/contrast/saturation levels? has anyone had to do that?

i wish devs mentioned if a game was set to output by default for 16-235 or 0-255.
post #478 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:

well i just started the game so i compared the start there to the one in the video and those side by side didn't look the same, mine looks a bit washed out, l like the gama or brightness is too high. The greys seem too grey basically

its got me tweaking with the rgb full/limited settings all over agan and i thought id left those alone >_<<br />
maybe i should just mess with the in game brightness/contrast/saturation levels? has anyone had to do that?

i wish devs mentioned if a game was set to output by default for 16-235 or 0-255.

I regularly tweak the in-game brightness/contrast settings because the default mid-line levels seem fine for the daytime scenes, but I can't see much in the dark scenes (night, or indoors) when there's too much ambient light in my viewing space. If I forget to switch things back, then the daytime scenes definitely get washed out - especially the Mexico desert.

Overall, I think the in-game lighting looks fantastic and fits the moods very well. I just need to have better light control in my room!

PSN: SpeedyMcHaggis
post #479 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I always mess with in-game brightness and contrast levels. Other than inverting the camera's y-axis, it's the first thing I do whenever I first boot up a game. Every game's default brightness level is different. You should always start with in-game levels (assuming your display has already been properly calibrated to the PS3).

post #480 of 653 Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore27 View Post

I have really enjoyed the game thus far, but I do have two complaints, and one is a large one. My game freezes the system. Sometimes I can play for three hours straight and everything is fine, other times it can happen 3 times in an hour. Everything on the screen freezes and I have to reboot the PS3. I am hoping that this fix resolves this. The other issue I have is with occasional artifacts, like long lines that extend from a point in the horizon to the sky, but this happens rarely.

Start backing up your saves...

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page