post #631 of 653 Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Yeah, in one dead eye.

If you're on Moonshine, how many targets can you paint in one dead eye session?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 653 Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Really?? I got to Mexico and stopped playing. In general, I don't like open world games, but stellar reviews keep sucking me in. The only sandbox games I've ever finished are inFamous and AC2. Although, the combat in RDR is an improvement over GTA4, I still find it pretty mediocre compared to other games. Horseback riding was fun -- for the first hour.

I'll have to give it another try.

Eennnhhh.. Not everything is for everybody. If everybody liked the same thing, there'd only be one game.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #633 of 653 Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Eennnhhh.. Not everything is for everybody. If everybody liked the same thing, there'd only be one game.

Oh, I know that. It's just that you mentioned that the game really picks up after the 12 hr mark. I was thinking that maybe I didn't give the game a fair shake (not sure how much time I've put into it) and just decided to give my 2 cents so far.
post #634 of 653 Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Liked: 832
It slowed down around the 7-8 hour mark for me. Too much of the same.

Funny how Rockstar dissolved the development studio. I realize they just optimized GTA4's engine and created assets (much less work), But I still think the game was exponentially better then GTA4. Even if they were problematic, they made a better game.
post #635 of 653 Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

I didn't think Agent Ross was a bad guy until he came after Marston. Sure he was using Marston to get these guys, but I thought their deal was legit after he delivered on all the former gang members and then Ross let Marston go home to his unharmed wife and son. I also wasn't sure why they had all those farming type dull missions with Jack, Uncle and Abigail.

I didn't know about the quote in the trailer, but I guess that makes sense if that was their theme. It was just so sad to see John Marston get killed after playing the entire game with him. It was like watching someone I know get killed sort of. Jack just isn't the same.

What were your thoughts on the "I Know You" stranger?

Spoiler  

I think the farming missions were to make you think the danger had passed; you get lulled into a false sense of security.

And sure, it was definitely sad to see Marston get killed. I think it was a gutsy move for a game; it would have been easy to let him live and set up the possibility for sequels. But RDR was a game about the end of the old west, the end of men like John Marston. His death was fitting.

As for the "I Know You" stranger mission, I liked it. I took the stranger to be a manifestation of Marston's guilty conscience; despite all that he's done to become a better man, Marston can't forget the crimes he's committed.

In case you're curious, some of the dialogue from the missions can be found here. The lines "People don't forget. Nothing gets forgiven." appear in the "Women and Cattle" mission, in Marston's conversation with Bonnie MacFarlane.
post #636 of 653 Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Oh, I know that. It's just that you mentioned that the game really picks up after the 12 hr mark. I was thinking that maybe I didn't give the game a fair shake (not sure how much time I've put into it) and just decided to give my 2 cents so far.

Oh okay, yeah - gotcha. Yeah, that's how is was for me. I'm really enjoying it now. Looking forward to this weekend when I can get in several hours worth. Hit me up on PSN if you want and we can try some multimplayer (Chairman7w)

post #637 of 653 Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Spoiler  

I think the farming missions were to make you think the danger had passed; you get lulled into a false sense of security.

And sure, it was definitely sad to see Marston get killed. I think it was a gutsy move for a game; it would have been easy to let him live and set up the possibility for sequels. But RDR was a game about the end of the old west, the end of men like John Marston. His death was fitting.

As for the "I Know You" stranger mission, I liked it. I took the stranger to be a manifestation of Marston's guilty conscience; despite all that he's done to become a better man, Marston can't forget the crimes he's committed.

In case you're curious, some of the dialogue from the missions can be found here. The lines "People don't forget. Nothing gets forgiven." appear in the "Women and Cattle" mission, in Marston's conversation with Bonnie MacFarlane.

Ted, if the I Know You guy was
Spoiler  
his guilty conscience, how was he able to tell John to keep the guy from cheating on his wife, help out the nun and so forth? There's no way John's conscience would have known that. Also, at one point, John says to him, "Damn you!" and he responds by saying "Many have!".
post #638 of 653 Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Oh okay, yeah - gotcha. Yeah, that's how is was for me. I'm really enjoying it now. Looking forward to this weekend when I can get in several hours worth. Hit me up on PSN if you want and we can try some multimplayer (Chairman7w)

Thanks for the invite, but I actually have it for the 360. Generally, I usually only buy exclusives and multiplat single player-only games on the 360 (I refuse to pay for online play), but I broke my rule with this game. I figured that I only had time for one or two online games anyways and it's supposed to look and run a bit better on the 360. I kind of regret it though... not being able to even sample multiplayer bothers me more than I thought it would.
post #639 of 653 Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post

Ted, if the I Know You guy was
Spoiler  
his guilty conscience, how was he able to tell John to keep the guy from cheating on his wife, help out the nun and so forth? There's no way John's conscience would have known that. Also, at one point, John says to him, "Damn you!" and he responds by saying "Many have!".

Spoiler  
Good point; I forgot about that. Perhaps he was the Devil?
post #640 of 653 Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Spoiler  
Good point; I forgot about that. Perhaps he was the Devil?

Yeah some say that he was, but the missions he sent John all were all good natured. Definitely not something the devil would do.
post #641 of 653 Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM

So after I finished the game, I went back to my earlier save which was 3 missions out from the end in Beecher's hope. I'm trying to finish other parts of the game before I actually do the last couple of story missions. To my surprise, i cannot change outfits. I'm stuck in the farming clothes thing. Any idea if there's a way around this w/o actually finishing the last mission?
post #642 of 653 Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

It's been confirmed already by R* in several interviews that Undead Nightmare was the last DLC for the game. Which is good because they are getting ready for L.A. Noire which is due out soon in either March or April. Hopefully they get Max Payne 3 released this fall, E3 this year hopefully they reveal more info on Agent and they finally annouce GTA V.

Also I heard R* got rid of and fired most of the staff from R* San Diego who made RDR.

that's dumb. rdr looked and ran smoother while having a much smaller install than gta 4. so they obviously know what they're doing. i think the draw distance in rdr was superior to gta 4 as well.

500 gigs FTW.
post #643 of 653 Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The draw distance was one of the coolest aspects of RDR, in my opinion.

It really sold the "feel" of the game to come over a ridge in Tall Trees and be able to see all the way to the other side of Mexico.

This is my favorite single-player PS3 game so far (and by far).

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #644 of 653 Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Life on the frontier has settled down some since the old scores were settled, but that doesn't stop me from riding into town and taking a look around when the urge strikes.

Woke up in one of my favorite bunking spots, Manzanita Post. Took a walk outside and over to the General Store for some conversation. The old fights might be fought, but that doesn't scratch the itch that surfaces every so often for retribution on those who harm the good people of this land, those who cannot or will not defend themselves. Happened upon a Wanted poster at the train station for a derelict and his gang holed up over at the Aurora Basin. The crime? Murder.

Just like old times, I saddled up the horse I worked so hard those many moon ago to buy and we rode off towards the basin. Just me, my horse, my guns and a reckoning.

A gentle blanket of snow betrayed the scene that was about to unfold as I rode up on the gang. I decided to stay close to the waterline, which would limit the gang's ability to flank me should things head south. Took out my trusted Rolling Rock Rifle and commenced swift retribution for those who were wronged. First the compound guards closest to me, mostly gutshots but the occasional headshot just to remind those behind them that the skills of this particular ghost in the trees hadn't lost a step in his months of inactivity. Bodies dropped quickly and eventually I switched to the Henry Repeater to make quick work of those left. I saved the murderer for last.

Although I could have finished him from afar with the rifle, I rode up on him so I could see the whites of his eyes while this final act played itself out. The coward ran in the opposite direction, firing from the hip all the way. My days of patience and forgiveness, law and order, long since have faded after bearing witness to what those qualities can lead to out here - I read his crime back to him and delivered final justice.

I rode into Blackwater and collected my reward, although that was already harvested along with the reckoning delivered back in Tall Trees.

Things are quiet again, but the quiet only lasts so long before I get the urge to settle scores and bury hatchets. I'll be back again before too long, just to look around and see what's changed, and to help deliver justice with that which stays the same.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #645 of 653 Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

As the wind whistles through the town, kicking up puffs of dusty dirt from the road, interrupted by an occasional tumbleweed...

post #646 of 653 Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

post #647 of 653 Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 33
So... I just got this emailed to me.. Is it real?

post #648 of 653 Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

So... I just got this emailed to me.. Is it real?

If it is real, does this hint at a possible cowboys and indians type of thing.. breaking away from the Marston's story altogether? Anyone else hear of this?

post #649 of 653 Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Nope, that's just a picture of Shadow Wolf from the RDR "Legends And Killers" pack.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Wolf?file=Rdr-legends-killers.jpg

- Jer
post #650 of 653 Old 03-24-2013, 02:41 PM

Figured it wasn't legit. Thanks. I think it'd be cool to have a Red Dead Retaliation where you play as John Marston's son as a rancher and local law. Could build up the farm, with a big emphasis on making money and expanding the ranch, while also fighting bad guys and saving the day.. Any one know if there is any legitimate info for the new Red Dead title?

post #651 of 653 Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Or do a prequel to Redemption where you learn more about John in his outlaw days.

Or do a gold mining emphasis.

Or do a John's son sequel involving prohibition..

post #652 of 653 Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Or do a prequel to Redemption where you learn more about John in his outlaw days.

Or do a gold mining emphasis.

Or do a John's son sequel involving prohibition..

Well, I always had this feeling that Bonnie MacFarlane was the perfect woman for John, I almost felt bad for her tongue.gif
post #653 of 653 Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Yeah, I thought it seemed like there was something there as well.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page