Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 83 Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrath78 View Post

not for now but I can add an automatic movie cover insertion into the template, no need to create those images, just put the movie cover along the video.
don't know If i can manage transparency though (it was just a idea, maybe it's not that easy to do)

I am not a Photoshop wizard, nor do I know Java, but just thinking about it, PS3 Media Server would have to either:

Option A (What we do manually now with the template but in real time)
1. Already have Photoshop on the PC to open the template
2. Merge, position and scale the movie cover into the template
3. Save the merged file to png or jpg
4. Send to PS3

Option B (Same as Option A but without Photoshop on the PC)
1. Store template as a bitmap on the PC as part of PS3 Media Server Install
2. Convert movie cover (assumed to be a jpg file) to bitmap
3. Merge, position and scale the bitmap movie cover into the bitmap template
4. Save the merged file to png or jpg
5. Send to PS3

Option C
1. Create a batch processing tool that uses either Option A or Option B one time (and as needed when new video files are added to your collection)
2. Store the resulting file in the appropriate directory on the PC.

Note: For all options, the source movie cover files would have to have the appropriate file naming convention to match the video file (ie. videofilename.extension.cover.jpg), so they match up when sent to the PS3.

Neither option A or B could be done in real time, so Option C seems the only viable way to go. Perhaps there is another approach that Shagrath has in mind, as the PS3 Media server can generate thumbnails now directly from the video file in "real time". (???)

Frankly, I'd rather just have the capability to generate folder thumbnails because there are many sources on the internet for movie thumbnails/covers that may not be as elaborate as what Bozster has created, but they can be used "as-is". But I also know that folder thumbnail support is dependent on PS3 support...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozster View Post

DVD template added too:

Direct link to templates:

BD HD template:

BD HD template:

Thank you for these! I was pointed in this direction by Rettenhu and had just made 180 DVD thumbs but now may need to redo using this template
post #33 of 83 Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 AM

is it possible to have a 720p in a box just like the SD | HD ? for those TV rips we have?
post #34 of 83 Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilmeuk View Post

is it possible to have a 720p in a box just like the SD | HD ? for those TV rips we have?

You would have to unlock the BoxArt Elements go to Full HD Icon and expand it then edit the HD Label layer and save it....
post #35 of 83 Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philby85 View Post

Hi All,

Is there a tutorial on how to use the template? I would like to contribute some covers.

cheers

Philby

I wrote a detailed tutorial here Philby.. it should be fairly easy to understand.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=228

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
post #36 of 83 Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rettenhu View Post

There seems to be a sudden groundswell of enthusiasm about video thumbnails both here and on the PS3 media server forum here: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34. And, others are offering their templates their as well.

Bozster, I've been "advertising" for your template there as "rickster53", but pointing folks here so you get the deserved credit!

That's nice.. thanks Rettenhu. This was actually something I just thought would be nice for people to have. Unified look and feel for the digital files so it looks great as you browse through your collection.

In general I'm so slammed these days with work. But this weekend I'll try to update stuff, add a few more types of covers for TV Shows, folder Icons etc.

Will post here.

post #37 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM

I can't find any of the cover art on flickr. Please advise.

TimeFreedom
post #38 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFreedom View Post

I can't find any of the cover art on flickr. Please advise.

TimeFreedom

It's on the front page here -> http://www.flickr.com/groups/ps3mscovers/ also if you click on my name bob.mac69 you can see the rest I uploaded as well....
post #39 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM

Hey, I really appreciate the work you've done here. They are great.

I do have a question, though. I got this working with my regular video files/TV shows that I've converted to a single file format. How do I use these with ISO files, though? For some reason, through this application, ISO files show up as a folder and then contained in the folder is the title listing. For all my ISO movies, I only rip the main title of the movie with no other titles/menus/etc. How can I use these thumbnails with ISOs?

Thanks!
post #40 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacolla View Post

Hey, I really appreciate the work you've done here. They are great.

I do have a question, though. I got this working with my regular video files/TV shows that I've converted to a single file format. How do I use these with ISO files, though? For some reason, through this application, ISO files show up as a folder and then contained in the folder is the title listing. For all my ISO movies, I only rip the main title of the movie with no other titles/menus/etc. How can I use these thumbnails with ISOs?

Thanks!

Have you tried i.e. for the movie Get Smart -> Get Smart.iso.cover.png
post #41 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Yes, it doesn't work. :\\

Weird...
post #42 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Guys.. I might have to move hosting to my server and create a custom upload group.. The reason for this is that Flickr Group thing blows. We can't sort uploads to folders like: TV Shows, HD, SD, 720p folders and sort them by name so I will code out stuff on my own server and give public upload rights to the server via FTP so it can be uploaded by name and sorted properly and so we can have search ability too.

Browsing and searching for a specific title on Flickr Group is HELL!

I'll work on this on the weekend as well.

post #43 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Guys.. I might have to move hosting to my server and create a custom upload group.. The reason for this is that Flickr Group thing blows. We can't sort uploads to folders like: TV Shows, HD, SD, 720p folders and sort them by name so I will code out stuff on my own server and give public upload rights to the server via FTP so it can be uploaded by name and sorted properly and so we can have search ability too.

You have all this time? I can help out if needed, I have several servers and am a PHP Developer and can easily get something up and running this weekend as well...let me know.
post #44 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

For anyone that wants a 720p version here you go...

Template: PS3MediaServer_CoverArtTemplate_720p.psd
post #45 of 83 Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard View Post

For anyone that wants a 720p version here you go...

Template: PS3MediaServer_CoverArtTemplate_720p.psd

That's good but 2 things..

I tried losing the blue glow as it looked a bit cheesy.

And yellow text mixes up too much when scrolling..

Try to do this.. Copy Style on your layer for HD and apply it to 720p

That way it will have the same metallic look and will look spectacular.

post #46 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's good but 2 things..

I tried losing the blue glow as it looked a bit cheesy.

And yellow text mixes up too much when scrolling..

Try to do this.. Copy Style on your layer for HD and apply it to 720p

That way it will have the same metallic look and will look spectacular.

Thx, will do.
post #47 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Bozster,

Any chance on helping out with this Plasma TV psd?

Plasma PSD
post #48 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM

great work, and thanks for the 720p

i've been playing with the images and the ones we are currently using seem a little small (especially for the kids) when on a 40" 1080p TV... I then played with images just as covers on their own, and now using the full height...

kids, seem to prefer them, but i think I may create a halfway house,, still playing before I comit my full library pictures...

currently using the format of

also tried all 40k v 120k and there was no loading time differences
post #49 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:

If you are going to go through this effort, there are some things you might want to think about and/or consider...

Should there be a standard template(s), so the thumbnails are consistent?
Should there be a standard/minimum resolution for the DVD artwork that's used with the template (s)?
Should there be a standard naming convention for the thumbnails, possibly using the PS3 Media Server's naming convention, or perhaps another naming convention?

I don't necessarily have the answer for any of these questions and there are probably others as well. Since you're making the effort to set this up, I think it should be your call as to whether you want to set up any guidelines or standards that you'd like to see everyone follow...
post #50 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you are going to go through this effort, there are some things you might want to think about and/or consider...

Should there be a standard template(s), so the thumbnails are consistent?
Should there be a standard/minimum resolution for the DVD artwork that's used with the template (s)?
Should there be a standard naming convention for the thumbnails, possibly using the PS3 Media Server's naming convention, or perhaps another naming convention?

I don't necessarily have the answer for any of these questions and there are probably others as well. Since you're making the effort to set this up, I think it should be your call as to whether you want to set up any guidelines or standards that you'd like to see everyone follow...

I tend to disagree. The variety will add more of a selection process for anyone wanting them, not everyone has the same tastes. If anything let each user have their own folders with their artwork/psd and I think this would be better in the long run and a happier community.
post #51 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I tend to disagree. The variety will add more of a selection process for anyone wanting them, not everyone has the same tastes. If anything let each user have their own folders with their artwork/psd and I think this would be better in the long run and a happier community.

I actually don't have strong feelings one way or the other. My post was simply meant for Bozster to consider what, if any, standards, he might think are worthwhile, given how he might set this up. Now would be the time to do that. Example: One of Bozster's major concerns with Flickr was its poor sort and search capabilities. Well, without a standardized thumbnail naming convention, you can't do meaningful sort or search...
post #52 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you guys are saying.. here's what i had in mind..

I wanted to make templates for each type of video.

So full HD would have BD type cover
In the same style DVD/SD content would have DVD cover
720p and HDTV would have maybe HDTV designation or resolution (be it 720p or 1080i or 1080p)

I do want them sorted out in a way so we can either,

a) upload covers to a specific LETTER folder, or

b) name the movie and then allow search. This would help everyone browse through our group library with ease and find the exact movie or show or whatever they are looking for in 2 secs.

I think we should kind of make a name template so Tomb Raider Cradle of Life would be:
TombRaiderCradleOfLife.xxx.cover.png so a person can replace the xxx with whatever format they have the video in.

This will be hard to control. So once we have a full nice setup for uploading covers it's not a huge problem and check each day and even if necessary I will rename the files to be easily searchable.

Another thing is that we could allow META TAGS so you can enter movie info or similar there and then include that in search.

I wish we could get PS3MS creator to integrate dynamic support for covers like ours here. So nobody has to even deal with photoshop. They could do the following:

1. Mask the thumbnail with the appropriate cover template and then just load in specific size image to fit in the inner area of the template. THis i is the only cool way to make them usable but I don't think it's possible, so our templates would have to be the way they are.

Dark_Wizard, I am thin with time but if you want to help try to make a small script in PHP that will read the folder filenames on the server with PNG extension and generate the XML file out of it. I would like to try something so if you have some free time, it would appreciated.

post #53 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 04:24 PM

one question seems to spring to mind, are we gonna then have duplicate titles for the 720p | 1080p and DVD Range? whats the point when all the layers could be in the same template, all you'd need to do is select the correct layers from the template and then add the cover? or is the point that people are just going to upload their collections?
post #54 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilmeuk View Post

one question seems to spring to mind, are we gonna then have duplicate titles for the 720p | 1080p and DVD Range? whats the point when all the layers could be in the same template, all you'd need to do is select the correct layers from the template and then add the cover? or is the point that people are just going to upload their collections?

Well no... essentially we have 3 templates. 1 HD (full HD - BD rips), DVD/SD version and the HDTV version (TV shows etc). So for HDTV there could be modification to HDTV 720p, HDTV 1080i, HDTV 1080p but we could just leave HDTV marking and that's it.

post #55 of 83 Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dark_Wizard, I am thin with time but if you want to help try to make a small script in PHP that will read the folder filenames on the server with PNG extension and generate the XML file out of it. I would like to try something so if you have some free time, it would appreciated.

Ok, two things come to mind real quick...are you using PHP5? Lastly, how do you want the data in the xml file?

Code:

Wanted
post #56 of 83 Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 AM

Anyone have any ideas about the thumbnails for ISO files?

post #57 of 83 Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I wish we could get PS3MS creator to integrate dynamic support for covers like ours here. So nobody has to even deal with photoshop. They could do the following:

1. Mask the thumbnail with the appropriate cover template and then just load in specific size image to fit in the inner area of the template. THis i is the only cool way to make them usable but I don't think it's possible, so our templates would have to be the way they are.

I'm not sure if the image could be positioned and sized automatically, or whether this can be done in real time as you scroll down a list of movies. My thumbnails always lag behind my scrolling and I have to wait for them to catch up if I want to see them. I have an old P4 2.0Ghz PC so maybe that's the problem, but I am on a 100mb wired connection so I know it's not the network...

I am not a Photoshop guy but if there's anything I can do to help, let me know as I have spare time... I'd be glad to help out as a beta tester and/or help with maintainence of incorrect filenames, etc., if my direct access is possible. Just let me know... :-)
post #58 of 83 Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Bozster, I think it would be helpful if you could maximize the size of the DVD artwork, within the constraint of the thumbnail size, as suggested by reddevilmeuk in his post above. Regardless of which movie templates you decide to go with every extra pixel in the size of the artwork makes the cover look better as well as easier to see and read!
post #59 of 83 Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure if the image could be positioned and sized automatically, or whether this can be done in real time as you scroll down a list of movies. My thumbnails always lag behind my scrolling and I have to wait for them to catch up if I want to see them. I have an old P4 2.0Ghz PC so maybe that's the problem, but I am on a 100mb wired connection so I know it's not the network..

Well the trick with generating thumbnails is that PS3MS would have to do it on the PC before sending/streaming the thumbnail to PS3. Similar to what GD Library does on PHP on the server side. It can crop, resize etc files on the web on-fly on server side and just spit it out to you in the browser.

But this is dreaming. It would require significant effort from the maker of PS3MS to just build code to accomodate the template. Never gonna happen unfortunately.

post #60 of 83 Old 02-15-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, two things come to mind real quick...are you using PHP5? Lastly, how do you want the data in the xml file?

Code:

Wanted

Sure, so it would look like this

Code:

Wanted
  wanted.cover.png
  _action

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page