Want to connect headphones directly to PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I just recently got my Sennheiser HD 555, but when I plug them into my TV, I get this weird sound in the background thats quite annoying (my TV sucks).
So I'm looking for a way to hook my headphones up to my PS3, without it having to go through the TV, but I'm not about to spring a hundred bucks on a receiver, as I heard it doesn't even imrpove the 555's as much.
Anybody know a solution? Help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I really don't know if there's a way to do it if the headphones aren't made to be plugged into the PS3.

Turtlebeach just recently released a headset that is made to hookup to the PS3.

I can't see a work around without at least a receiver or a mixamp. I think both are pricey too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You could use the regular analog out connector from the PS3 with red/white audio cables, then an adapter to convert the red/white to 1/8" headphone jack. The only downside is with no volume control you would be at the mercy of the level out of the PS3. I've used this method with a Gamecube in the past and it works, but can be too soft for some people.

For more money you could also insert an amp in the path from PS3 audio out to headphones and have control over the volume.
post #4 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post

You could use the regular analog out connector from the PS3 with red/white audio cables, then an adapter to convert the red/white to 1/8" headphone jack. The only downside is with no volume control you would be at the mercy of the level out of the PS3. I've used this method with a Gamecube in the past and it works, but can be too soft for some people.

For more money you could also insert an amp in the path from PS3 audio out to headphones and have control over the volume.

That would be the mixamp, yeah?

post #5 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post

So i would have to go with whatever the default volume is? I don't think I would be satisfied with that.
I there some sort of cheaper amp that I can have the sound go through instead of the TV?
post #6 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
use these with the optical out on the ps3.
http://www.trittontechnologies.com/p...s/TRIGA611.htm

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
post #7 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The FiiO E5 headphone amp is reasonably cheap, can draw power from USB, and has it's own volume control. The only other item you'll need is a stereo RCA to headphone cable which connects the E5 to your PS3s analog audio outputs.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
post #8 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

The FiiO E5 headphone amp is reasonably cheap, can draw power from USB, and has it's own volume control. The only other item you'll need is a stereo RCA to headphone cable which connects the E5 to your PS3s analog audio outputs.

Link please.

post #9 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Amp
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18350

3.5mm to rca cable
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143

Female-female RCA adapter (it's a 3 channel one, but only 2 channels required)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2627

By all means get better quality cables if your that way inclined.

And if you can find a 3.5mm to stereo RCA (female) cable/adapter, then you can do away with the above adapter and cable.

Such as:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-MALE-to-DU...0|293:1|294:50

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-TO-2x-RCA-...0|293:1|294:50

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
post #10 of 27 Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I used to have some cheapo Radio Shack headphones that had a built in volume control. I could hook that directly up to various video game systems, and the sound level would be low, but I would turn the built in volume control (on the headphones) up, and then it would be at a good level.

I just used an adapter that had two female RCA type plugs on it, and the other end accepted the mini headphone jack thing. Worked perfectly, and I got those headphones for like $14.99 or something on sale. Not the best quality headphones in the world, but it worked fine. I think that adapter thing that I used with the headphones cost like 5 bucks or so. Something like that.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Or you could do it this way, take a regular vga/hdmi output to tv, then use the tv's headphone out, thats all i could think of.
[IMG]http://www.***************/img/io/iy.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.***************/img/i0/iy.gif[/IMG]
post #12 of 27 Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Just get headphones at Best Buy with usb as the connector. Done! End of thread.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
If you were willing to shell out for those Senn's, then you should be willing to shell out for a decent headphone amp/mixamp. They're generally cheaper than getting a full-blown new AVR, and will give you a much better all-around experience. No, the 555s certainly aren't the best headphones in town, but they're definitely not little cheapies to plug directly into your tv.

RCA adapters will work in a pinch, but then what was the point of paying $100 for headphones when you could have just used a decent $20-30 pair (and they do exist) to the same effect?

And if you're feeling ambitious, you can check the huge gaming headphone thread for more info on mixamps and other headphone gaming setups (both cheap and not-so cheap):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894251

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #14 of 27 Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to Best Buy and RadioShack and couldn't settle on a decent headset that would work for both my laptop (for voice chat and music listening) and the PS3.

Is the PS3 even able to detect headsets (mics) that are not bluetooth enabled?

post #15 of 27 Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

I went to Best Buy and RadioShack and couldn't settle on a decent headset that would work for both my laptop (for voice chat and music listening) and the PS3.

Is the PS3 even able to detect headsets (mics) that are not bluetooth enabled?

USB mics should work fine.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 View Post

USB mics should work fine.

I'm sure they will, it's just that I couldn't settle on a headset that would work for both and would work for as long as I want them to.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

post #17 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM

Wow, I'm glad I've read this. Okay, so just to be completely clear, I take my ps3's actual component cables, plug them into http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2627

then plug those into http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143

the into an amp (I've got the headroom total bithead on the way) and I'll get full stereo sound?

I'm looking for the highest quality from my tv/ps3 into my senn 595's without an av receiver, and money isn't really an object.

Also, would this deliver any better quality than using the rca output on my tv?

-Vader
post #18 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^ If money really isn't an object then I'd go with Astro's mixamp. You'd be adding surround sound to the mix as well. The xbox area has a large headphone thread which you could probably find someone with your head phones and the mixamp who could tell you how they like the combo. If you do get the mixamp add the PS3 chat cable and you should be set.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/...111/MixAmp-58/

The 5.8 version was much cheaper as it came out with a lower introductory price which has passed unfortunately.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #19 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio View Post

Just get headphones at Best Buy with usb as the connector. Done! End of thread.

Just get your info right before you post nonsense about something that you don't know about. Done! End of thread.

PS3 will NOT pass game audio through a USB headset. The PS3 WILL detect a USB headset but you can ONLY use it for voice chat. To get game audio from a PS3 you will have to come out of your TV to some headphones or use the RCA to Mini solution explained above.
post #20 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

^ If money really isn't an object then I'd go with Astro's mixamp. You'd be adding surround sound to the mix as well. The xbox area has a large headphone thread which you could probably find someone with your head phones and the mixamp who could tell you how they like the combo. If you do get the mixamp add the PS3 chat cable and you should be set.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/...111/MixAmp-58/

The 5.8 version was much cheaper as it came out with a lower introductory price which has passed unfortunately.

The thing is, I'm going to be using this 99% for movies, and I've heard from some its fantastic for films, others, not so much. What do you think? I don't really play games (much) and use my ps3 more as a media center than anything else.

I know it can't replace a 5.1 system, but would it be effective?
post #21 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

^Not sure about movies. I'm currently running my Sennheiser PC360's off of my Turtlebeach X41's receiver (which gives me surround sound). I have a mixamp being shipped to me and when I get it I'll let you know about movies and how well the PS3 chat cable works. In the headphones thread I mentioned above I have read others commenting that they like movies with headphones.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #22 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I used this to get the audio to my headphones. Once it's connected to the PS3s AV cable, I then go into audio configuration to route the audio to the AV Cable. For Video I'm using the HDMI.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

This does not give me a volume amplifier, which hasn't really been a problem for me (sensitive ears).

Good luck,
M
post #23 of 27 Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:

^Not sure about movies. I'm currently running my Sennheiser PC360's off of my Turtlebeach X41's receiver (which gives me surround sound). I have a mixamp being shipped to me and when I get it I'll let you know about movies and how well the PS3 chat cable works. In the headphones thread I mentioned above I have read others commenting that they like movies with headphones.

Thanks for the responses, guys . Also, how's your tutlebeach for movies?
post #24 of 27 Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
The thing is, I'm going to be using this 99% for movies, and I've heard from some its fantastic for films, others, not so much. What do you think? I don't really play games (much) and use my ps3 more as a media center than anything else.

I know it can't replace a 5.1 system, but would it be effective?
I got my mixamp and listen to some movies with the PC360's and I thought it sounded really good. Every detail was audible and the surround was good. Now I did miss the lack off bass (from the sub) but with headphones you'll have that. I've only have two sets of headphones that I use for the PS3/360 so keep that in mind. If your using yours as more of a media center then maybe you could buy better headphones and a different surround sound processor as my setup is made for gaming. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer:

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #25 of 27 Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
If your using yours as more of a media center then maybe you could buy better headphones and a different surround sound processor as my setup is made for gaming. Hope this helps!
He has better headphones, he just needs a receiver / mixer.
post #26 of 27 Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM

First the sound your hearing is probably from a groundloop; created by your PS3 and your cable box because there hooked to the same TV but diffrent outlets in the wall;

The easiest way to fix your problem would be (If you have a laptop or PC in range) to run your PS3 audio through the PC input(blue) and then hookup your Headphones and use the computer as your amp.

PSN Network: RoguishClyde
Dark Souls; I LOVE YOU!!!!
post #27 of 27 Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo_reich View Post

He has better headphones, he just needs a receiver / mixer.

Oops I forgot he already has headphones.

Disclaimer:

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page