DVD ripping 5.1 audio, full seek, full quality, 2GB size one step! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am able to rip DVDs just fine but can't get WMP 11 to recognize them, says .mp4 is not supported?

Am I missing a step?

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 View Post

I am able to rip DVDs just fine but can't get WMP 11 to recognize them, says .mp4 is not supported?

Am I missing a step?

It's a codec issue. WMP11 plays MP4 on my old P4 machine but not on my C2D laptop. I know at one point I installed a codec pack for WMP11 on my P4 machine but I can't remember exactly what and how. Try this: FFDSHOW
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow and please update us!

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 AM

I used http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm and now WMP 11 will work with my .mp4s.

For some reason the files don;t show in my "video" tap on the PS3 though. I can see other videos that I have saved under WMP 11 but not any ripped mp4s

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm and now WMP 11 will work with my .mp4s.

For some reason the files don;t show in my "video" tap on the PS3 though. I can see other videos that I have saved under WMP 11 but not any ripped mp4s

Hmm, I didn't try it WMP11 I just assumed it would work. Are your MP4's in the same folder as your other video and if not did you share that foleder through WMP11? I'm using Tversity and it works perfect with no transcoding. I put a few movies directly on the PS3 hard drive as well and it works great, even shows a video preview thumbnail. I just recently found out that if you find the file on the XMB, press triangle it lets you copy to the PS3 video folder from your PC.

om [NOM] nom
Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a intel e8400 cpu (I think) brother built it for me. But with some pretty good computer hardware should it still take around 3 hours to do this??

Also.. This works with the latest firmware, right?

edit - And can I stick this file on a usb flash drive to stick on my ps3's hdd?? Nevermind.. Above post has it answered..

psn = b2real
Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

My quad core with 4GB of memory took about 2 hours and 15 minutes to do a 95 minute movie last night. So, 3 hours sounds about right for a 2 hour movie.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

My quad core with 4GB of memory took about 2 hours and 15 minutes to do a 95 minute movie last night. So, 3 hours sounds about right for a 2 hour movie.

Okay.. Thanks

psn = b2real
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

Hmm, I didn't try it WMP11 I just assumed it would work. Are your MP4's in the same folder as your other video and if not did you share that foleder through WMP11? I'm using Tversity and it works perfect with no transcoding. I put a few movies directly on the PS3 hard drive as well and it works great, even shows a video preview thumbnail. I just recently found out that if you find the file on the XMB, press triangle it lets you copy to the PS3 video folder from your PC.

I've tried sharing it and copying it to the WMP 11 folder w no luck. I can see my home movies via the PS3 as well as the WMP 11 sample vids

Old 03-19-2009, 11:14 AM

OK, I'm confused.. why is this method better than directly ripping a dvd to your computer using DVD Shrink or compatiable program?

File Size: I can either rip it uncompressed which takes 4 to 8 gb (which is described as the major issue for the original poster) or select to shrink it down to a more manageable size. You lose some quality by doing this but I don't see how this other method doesn't result in similar compression issues. You still have to take a 4 to 8gb DVD and compress it to a 2gb file. Same result....lower quality...right?

Time to Rip: I'm hearing people say 2 to 3 hours to rip a movie. On my computer (AMD dual 2.6ghz 2 year old machine) it takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes to go directly from DVD to a playable file on my computer using the DVD Shrink method. Why does it take so much longer using the other method? Is it a function of computer strength (i.e. is my 2 year old machine still that advanced? Or something else?)

Type of File : The VOB file that gets created just needs to have the extension changed to MPG to work (a 3 second change). It can be streamed by Tversity, Twonky, Media Player with no issues. It can also be watched directly on your computer or transferred to a portable device with no issues. Does this other method give any benefits over this? (i.e. what types of problems have you seen with converted VOB files?)

I don't mean to knock anyone using this method. I am simply trying to find out if there is a better way to RIP my DVD's to my PC. I live off my PS3 now and streaming capability has made things so much easier to watch movies. Hard drive space is not an issue for me as I have over 2 terabytes of storage but if there is a way to make a file smaller WITHOUT impacting quality, I would consider it. However, 2 to 3 hours to rip a movie....that might be a deal breaker.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Okay. I just encoded Blade 2. How do I set it so my ps3 detects and can transfer files from tversity to ps3? It only reads windows media player.. I have vista enterprise 32 bit

edit - nevermind.. I thought my flash drive had a lot less space then it did..

psn = b2real
Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkelley20 View Post

OK, I'm confused.. why is this method better than directly ripping a dvd to your computer using DVD Shrink or compatiable program?

File Size: I can either rip it uncompressed which takes 4 to 8 gb (which is described as the major issue for the original poster) or select to shrink it down to a more manageable size. You lose some quality by doing this but I don't see how this other method doesn't result in similar compression issues. You still have to take a 4 to 8gb DVD and compress it to a 2gb file. Same result....lower quality...right?

Time to Rip: I'm hearing people say 2 to 3 hours to rip a movie. On my computer (AMD dual 2.6ghz 2 year old machine) it takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes to go directly from DVD to a playable file on my computer using the DVD Shrink method. Why does it take so much longer using the other method? Is it a function of computer strength (i.e. is my 2 year old machine still that advanced? Or something else?)

Type of File : The VOB file that gets created just needs to have the extension changed to MPG to work (a 3 second change). It can be streamed by Tversity, Twonky, Media Player with no issues. It can also be watched directly on your computer or transferred to a portable device with no issues. Does this other method give any benefits over this? (i.e. what types of problems have you seen with converted VOB files?)

I don't mean to knock anyone using this method. I am simply trying to find out if there is a better way to RIP my DVD's to my PC. I live off my PS3 now and streaming capability has made things so much easier to watch movies. Hard drive space is not an issue for me as I have over 2 terabytes of storage but if there is a way to make a file smaller WITHOUT impacting quality, I would consider it. However, 2 to 3 hours to rip a movie....that might be a deal breaker.

File size: If you compress a VOB to 2GB it will absolutely not have any quality even remotely close to a 2 GB h.264. If you don't care about quality then you may as well rip directly to Divx. If you have 5G+ per movie to spare then have at it. Plus VOB does not play natively on the PS3.

Time to rip: The reason it takes so long to rip to h.264 is the advanced compression algorithms used to maintain quality. If you do not care about quality then it is not worth it for you to wait three hours for a rip. Me personally, I rip movies before I go to bed or if I'm doing other stuff. I don't sit in front of the computer for three hours waiting for the rip to finish.

Type of file: renaming a VOB to MPG does not work all the time and is very inconsistent when reading directly off the PS3 hard drive. Just ask half the people on these boards. It works to stream off Tversity but again, file size and not playing natively are an issue for some.

om [NOM] nom
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Your biggest advantage of ripping it to h.264 is the fact is that it is a better quality compression for the video files. All your doing is wrapping up the VOB file that is on the DVD into the h.264 codec. This codec allows smaller sized files while maintaing the quality.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 AM

I want to thank imdjenk for this post and Turd Furguson for all the input he's provided. This method works great for getting movies down to ~2GB (or less). Saving me about 50% on space, while maintaining 5.1 surround sound. Just plain awesome. I'm now deleting all my kids movies off the PS3 HDD and replacing with this new method. Thanks again. Now I can have about twice the # of movies, internally on the PS3.

My only problem, is that I cannot stream to my PS3. I'm using Twonky Media and have even tried PS3 Media Server. But the movies are unplayable. My network is only 100Mbs, could that be the issue? Is it my DLNA server? Anyone else having this same issue?

Thaks in advance
Old 03-20-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:

File size: If you compress a VOB to 2GB it will absolutely not have any quality even remotely close to a 2 GB h.264. If you don't care about quality then you may as well rip directly to Divx. If you have 5G+ per movie to spare then have at it. Plus VOB does not play natively on the PS3.

Time to rip: The reason it takes so long to rip to h.264 is the advanced compression algorithms used to maintain quality. If you do not care about quality then it is not worth it for you to wait three hours for a rip. Me personally, I rip movies before I go to bed or if I'm doing other stuff. I don't sit in front of the computer for three hours waiting for the rip to finish.

Type of file: renaming a VOB to MPG does not work all the time and is very inconsistent when reading directly off the PS3 hard drive. Just ask half the people on these boards. It works to stream off Tversity but again, file size and not playing natively are an issue for some.

I guess I will give this a try. Even with 2 terabytes of space, if the quality isn't impacted, I might as well save space.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't sit in front of the computer for three hours waiting for the rip to finish.

And, here I thought I was the only one without a hand crank on my computer to make it do things that take a long time.

Thanks for the tips. I have started to rip some oft watched DVDs to the PS3 HD and fill some of this 320GB just because I can.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjayw View Post

My only problem, is that I cannot stream to my PS3. I'm using Twonky Media and have even tried PS3 Media Server. But the movies are unplayable. My network is only 100Mbs, could that be the issue? Is it my DLNA server? Anyone else having this same issue?

Thaks in advance

What are the symptoms? Does it say the data is corrupted, does it start to play and stop, does it stutter etc? I'm not an expert on streaming but I'll try to help. I use Tversity and PMS and stream with no problem. I don't think your network is an issue because the transfer rate shouldn't be too high.

BRB, gotta go turn the crank.

om [NOM] nom
Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Great info. Thanks Imdjenk and Turd.

Yikes. I tried this and it took over six hours to complete using a 3 Ghz P4 HT. I later realized that I had an app running that was eating 50% CPU usage. I'm guessing that was the issue.

After encoding was complete, I was able to play the movie fine using WMP 11 and Direct Show. However, the PS3 shows the file as Corrupted Data when trying to stream from TVersity. I also tried copying the stream to the PS3 HDD with no luck. Haven't tried a thumbdrive yet though.

I followed your directions to a tee. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Nevermind. When everyone talks about PMS, I thought they were referring to the the physical console itself. Apparently I've been living under a rock. Anyways, I installed PMS and have it streaming. Nice.

I totally agree with Turd though. The audio bitrate needs to be raised. Although it maintains 5.1, it sounds like mud at 160.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 AM

I gue3ss I'll try a different streaming method becuase I can't seem to get WMP 11 to stream mp4s or at least the PS3 doesn't recognize them

Old 03-21-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I gue3ss I'll try a different streaming method becuase I can't seem to get WMP 11 to stream mp4s or at least the PS3 doesn't recognize them

I highly recommend using Playstation Media Server.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonanan View Post

I highly recommend using Playstation Media Server.

You know, I downloaded it and to be honest don't even know where to begin with it.

Yes, you could say I'm a bit lazy and haven't read through the thread dedicated to it.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, I downloaded it and to be honest don't even know where to begin with it.

Yes, you could say I'm a bit lazy and haven't read through the thread dedicated to it.

PMS is pretty user friendly. All I did was install it and share the folders and voila!

om [NOM] nom
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The link in my sig is for the Macintosh version but they should be identical. I have a tutorial.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

The link in my sig is for the Macintosh version but they should be identical. I have a tutorial.

Thanks Turd. I have it all up and running with PSM. Can see my files, watch the mp4s lags but thats more my connection I bet.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Try to play the file without transcoding. I think theres an option where you check transcode only when necessary or something. (Or was that Tversity?) Also, as a temporary measure until you figure it out you can press triangle on the file and copy it to the PS3 video folder. It only takes a minute on my connection, and should definitely play regardless of any outside factors.

om [NOM] nom
Old 03-25-2009, 07:45 PM

I confused myself, and hope fully not others on here.. Can you/I use the same steps for a blu-ray movie?

psn = b2real
Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:

What are the symptoms? Does it say the data is corrupted, does it start to play and stop, does it stutter etc? I'm not an expert on streaming but I'll try to help. I use Tversity and PMS and stream with no problem. I don't think your network is an issue because the transfer rate shouldn't be too high.

BRB, gotta go turn the crank.

imdjenk,
Sorry for the delay with this response. I've resolved the issues. It was my network, sorta.

First, the symptoms I was having. It wasn't corrupted. When I tried to play the movie, it would play at about 1 frame per 15 seconds. Throughput was horrendous. When I hit the select button, on the controller, it showed a "-" as the number of kbs or mbs (I'm at work, so I'm going from memory) that it's playing/streaming. I thought at first, my DLNA servers were trying to decode the movie and that was what was slowing things down.

I put both my PC and PS3 into my Linksys WRT54G router/switch and now everything plays fine. Previously my PC was patch into a Cisco switch, which was then patched into the Linksys. The Cisco may have the port settings configured wrong. I'll be investigating that issues shortly, as it would explain some other rare anomalies.

I hope that all made sense. Sorry for taking such a long time to reply, but everything works great and I'm saving about 40% on space. NICE!!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok question if the file is already made like i have alot of movies that i ripped to hdd on my pc so its about 4gb conpressed, but its in video ts which is .vob how do i make it so i can put these files in my ps3? basicly i want to put my movies inside the ps3 what file type is it sopposed to be? to be inside the ps3 hdd.

Also i know blu ray takes up alot of memory but if i do movie only with 2.0 or 5.1 surround sound is it possible? i can get my hands on the blu ray reader and i can bypass the protection. but im trying to figure out if i can put the files to the ps3 hdd so i dont have to buy the blu ray blanks as they are still expensive.

btw i could conpress the audio but i want to retain the video quality
what is the amount of time it takes to do this method with your pc? i have a 3.2 ghz prescott (code name of our Hyper threading cpu) with 1gb ram win xp home sp3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonanan View Post

Great info. Thanks Imdjenk and Turd.

Yikes. I tried this and it took over six hours to complete using a 3 Ghz P4 HT. I later realized that I had an app running that was eating 50% CPU usage. I'm guessing that was the issue.

After encoding was complete, I was able to play the movie fine using WMP 11 and Direct Show. However, the PS3 shows the file as Corrupted Data when trying to stream from TVersity. I also tried copying the stream to the PS3 HDD with no luck. Haven't tried a thumbdrive yet though.

I followed your directions to a tee. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Nevermind. When everyone talks about PMS, I thought they were referring to the the physical console itself. Apparently I've been living under a rock. Anyways, I installed PMS and have it streaming. Nice.

I totally agree with Turd though. The audio bitrate needs to be raised. Although it maintains 5.1, it sounds like mud at 160.

i would like to know this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclayton View Post

I confused myself, and hope fully not others on here.. Can you/I use the same steps for a blu-ray movie?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
Old 03-27-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclayton View Post

I don't believe handbrake supports bluray yet. I looked into ripping bluray and it seems too much of a hassle for me to get involved in it.

om [NOM] nom
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't believe handbrake supports bluray yet. I looked into ripping bluray and it seems too much of a hassle for me to get involved in it.

For the time it takes, you are better off just getting a Netflix subscription.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

Ok question if the file is already made like i have alot of movies that i ripped to hdd on my pc so its about 4gb conpressed, but its in video ts which is .vob how do i make it so i can put these files in my ps3? basicly i want to put my movies inside the ps3 what file type is it sopposed to be? to be inside the ps3 hdd.

You can trying using vob2mpg. It has been so long since I done this, but you may be able to simply change the file extension to .mpg. Don't hold me to this, but try and see.

Quote:

Also i know blu ray takes up alot of memory but if i do movie only with 2.0 or 5.1 surround sound is it possible? i can get my hands on the blu ray reader and i can bypass the protection. but im trying to figure out if i can put the files to the ps3 hdd so i dont have to buy the blu ray blanks as they are still expensive.

Convert it to a single .m2ts file and you are golden. As long as you don't end up with a file larger than your PS3' hard drive you will be fine. And be forewarned, it is best to have a gigabit cable to do the transfer or you will be waiting a while.

Quote:

btw i could conpress the audio but i want to retain the video quality
what is the amount of time it takes to do this method with your pc? i have a 3.2 ghz prescott (code name of our Hyper threading cpu) with 1gb ram win xp home sp3.

If you are planning on encoding a blu ray movie with that kind of system you best not be planning on using for several days. Encoding takes some serious horsepower and that rig won't cut it. That is why I had to upgrade to a dual-core Intel and 4 gigabytes of ram.

Hope that helps.

~Turd