DVD ripping 5.1 audio, full seek, full quality, 2GB size one step! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 90 Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
netflix is not true hd quality and it cost money....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

For the time it takes, you are better off just getting a Netflix subscription.

how do i i change the extention???

Quote:

You can trying using vob2mpg. It has been so long since I done this, but you may be able to simply change the file extension to .mpg. Don't hold me to this, but try and see.

SO .M2TS can be saved into the ps3? i think 4gb is the limit but i tried putting a .m2ts file on my micro sd card adaptor and ps3 would not find it.

what you mean by using a gigabit cable? isnt it faster to use a usb/thumb drive? in terms of speed transfer of course

Quote:

Convert it to a single .m2ts file and you are golden. As long as you don't end up with a file larger than your PS3' hard drive you will be fine. And be forewarned, it is best to have a gigabit cable to do the transfer or you will be waiting a while.

what if i had a core i7 920 with 6gb ram 10k rpm hdd ?

Quote:

If you are planning on encoding a blu ray movie with that kind of system you best not be planning on using for several days. Encoding takes some serious horsepower and that rig won't cut it. That is why I had to upgrade to a dual-core Intel and 4 gigabytes of ram.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If Netflix isn't true HD, then how do you plan on accessing the "true HD source"? Blurays are what I would call the the true source, unless you have access to someone who has the original films shot by the directors. $15 bucks a month to rent a Bluray movie is pretty good if you ask me.

You have to have a different type of view for the files if you want to change the extension. I am on a Mac so I can't remember where that option is at.

As for the 4gb limit, totally untrue. I can pull over a 22GB Planet Earth movie and save it straight to the drive. It is saved in .m2ts format though. That is the key. 4GB movies cause you issues if it can't be played natively off the PS3. Now with an SD card, that may be different. I don't have access to funds to try something like that (although I would).

Yes that system would be screaming fast.

PSN: turdfurguson26
Wii: 0582 5392 1213 6301

blog.hillbillyhardware.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 90 Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I checked DVD43 and it says not compatible with vista(64) do you recommend any alternatives?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Cmon guys...nothing for vista64? I have vista 32 but its on a el cheapo laptop I dont want to spend my entire life doing this.

post #65 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I am running it now on my weak laptop because of the vista64 on the other one. I looked at system performance and it is only at 8-16% shouldnt it be working harder?

When you were talking about xvid being lower quality. Is that an option I can select in handbrake to make it faster? I dont have all day to let my computer encode barbie movies...

post #66 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
rip the ISO to your hard drive using dvd decrypter

Then use handbrake on the iso.
post #67 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

rip the ISO to your hard drive using dvd decrypter

Then use handbrake on the iso.

handbrake to convert the iso to xvid?

post #68 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I just realized there is no pause/resume function on handbrake either. Just spent 2 hours encoding a movie and had to shut down, come back up movies not done and theres not resume option. Please tell me I am wrong.

post #69 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM

I use handbrake's PS3 preset, but I set the audio to 384kbps 6 channel discrete. The end result is H264, but I don't know if that is the same as xvid. But basically you can use the ripped iso (mentioned above) from dvd dedcrypter for whatever conversion by handbrake.
post #70 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh my I found out some really interesting information this evening conerning DTS sound for streaming to our PS3's.

From MKV2VOB:

V2.4.4 16/Feb/2009
Added DTS can now be played from file without transcoding (Disc/Streaming).

How did I miss this until today?

Maybe a settings change in tsmuxer will allow me to play dts movies without reencoding to ac3. (that takes forever on an ancient sempron, even when you're only doing the audio)
post #71 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Is DVD Decrypter Free? Is there any time advantages to ripping the ISO first then having handbrake convert? Is it any faster than using this DVD43 method and having Handbrake do it to xvid?

post #72 of 90 Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated for over a year now, so I'm not sure if it will "decrypt" any of the newer movies. Conspiracy, even though I haven't tried it I am sure if you pick the PS3 preset on Handbrake but change the video codec to other than h264 you will get a pretty fast rip. Maybe someone that rips to DivX or XVID can give more info.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #73 of 90 Old 05-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post

Maybe a settings change in tsmuxer will allow me to play dts movies without reencoding to ac3. (that takes forever on an ancient sempron, even when you're only doing the audio)

Yes! It works. Just stick a wav header on the dts audio and tsmuxer will happily treat it as a PCM audio track and it plays fine on the ps3. It's too bad tsmuxer requires the wav header to do it, though. Extra steps suck, even when they're automated.
post #74 of 90 Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 PM

So maybe this is a dumb question but why not just use DVDFAB to rip this stuff, its only one step? Guess it does cost $40 but it pretty easy and fast on my machine?
post #75 of 90 Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ If you are talking about h.264 then the reason is multi fold. Cuts file size in more than half, maintains quality, can be streamed without transcoding and can be played natively off PS3 harddrive or thumbdrive. And it is also one step.

Personally, space is the biggest issue. I would much rather put 250 MP4 than 100 VOB on a 500GB HDD. FYI, DVD Shrink does what DVDFAB does and its free.

om [NOM] nom
post #76 of 90 Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

^ If you are talking about h.264 then the reason is multi fold. Cuts file size in more than half, maintains quality, can be streamed without transcoding and can be played natively off PS3 harddrive or thumbdrive. And it is also one step.

Personally, space is the biggest issue. I would much rather put 250 MP4 than 100 VOB on a 500GB HDD. FYI, DVD Shrink does what DVDFAB does and its free.

It encodes h.264...
post #77 of 90 Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post

It encodes h.264...

How long does it take to rip a 2 hour movie to h.264 using DVDFab? Even with a quad core you are looking at looking at a complex encode process.

om [NOM] nom
post #78 of 90 Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks to all who have contributed here. I am experimenting with Handbrake and I am pleased with the results.

However after many hours of reading I am *still* confused on the surround sound audio.

The PS3 doesn't support AC3 in MP4. (Yes there are ways around this, but I tried them with mixed success and I don't want to make a 2nd career out of ripping my DVDs. )

I currently do not have a receiver with HDMI so I am stuck with 2 channel but will upgrade one day.

How should I be ripping to "future proof" these MP4s so I can use them now but also get AAC surround sound after the HDMI receiver upgrade?

If the default setting is used (AAC - downmix ProLogic II) I am only encoding 2 channel, correct? If I select (AAC - 6 channel discrete) will it play two channel over optical? And someday when I upgrade my receiver the PS3 will decode it and send it to the receiver via HDMI?

Thanks in advance...this is a confusing topic for me!

P.S. I intend to play these files directly from the PS3 HDD, not a media server.
post #79 of 90 Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
not following the vob file type won't play on the PS3. All of the movies I have on my PS3 HDD and 1TB drive are the direct output of DVD shrink with no extension change. I simply move them via thumb drive or directly to the ext HDD. for tougher movies, like some Disney films, I use anydvd and clone dvd then shrink to compress and rip.

Right now it takes about 20 minutes from dvd case to HDD per movie using shrink. I rip only the main movie, remove end credits to save space, unchecked audio formats I don't use, then apply compression as needed. The only problem I have is when streaming with WMP the PS3 isn't seeing my movies now. not sure hwy but I don't stream I transfer directly to the HDD.

Handbrake is a great program but takes to long to process a movie. I guess I'm a quantity of quality guy. The upscaling of the PS3 more than compensates for some compression in my eyes.

Sorry to derail the topic I just wasn't following the PS3 won't natively play vob file statement.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #80 of 90 Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the info Jenk, really helpful! I tried at first with a DTS stream and ended up with garbled audio.. so i guess handbrake does not support DTS properly. I have managed to convert all the Bourne Movies(Dolby Digital) to mp4 - to an external HDD.
PS3 plays them flawlessly

The only pain is the really long time handbrake does.. it will take a lot of time to convert all my 350 plus dvd's if i want to go about it. So for now im just targetting the ones im likely to watch the most and the ones i don't anticipate double dipping for blu.

PSN Id:blitz500

post #81 of 90 Old 06-27-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if anyone has discussed this, and I may just be late to the party, but all my ripped files that are in AVI format have a scene search feature (by pressing square) when streaming.

So, I was just wondering if there is a way to convert my .VOB files to AVI to take advantage of this feature.
post #82 of 90 Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Got a problem. I tried streaming bourne ulitmatum last night. h.264, 6 channel discrete 384kbit audio, wireless g network. Streaming it to the ps3 was stuttering constantly (kind of an oxymoron there, constant stuttering) anyways, went to the transcode folder and could flawlessly play two of the three files in that folder. Only problem was that there was no audio with either file..... So streaming stutters and transcoding has no audio. Any ideas? I'm looking into getting some powerline adapters to see if that solves the streaming problem as I can't really run new cable to a basement as it stands..... Any advice on those would be great also.

Forgot to mention that i pulled up the scene selection while streaming bourne, skipped to the last 10 minutes of the movie and it streamed absolutely flawlessly after about 5 seconds of stuttering. weird

If birth control is 99% effective, then my wife and I are the other 1%.

PSN: Hotmoosettu
post #83 of 90 Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

So last night I was trying to create a .mp4 of the movie London using handbrake (I first extracted the folder structures using DVD-Decrypter). I only have optical for now, until I upgrade to a HDMI compatible receiver, and after following the OP's instructions my file has no sound. One other observation is that if I copy the file directly to the PS3 HDD I get video (but no sound) and if I try to stream I get "Corrupted File Data."

I am fairly new to this process so I'm sure there are some learning curves I need to overcome but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #84 of 90 Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that I encoded the movie again except this time I chose AAC per the OP's "HDMI" instructions. The file will play w/ sound on my PC but still no sound on the PS3. When I hit "select" on the PS3 remote to bring up the information tabs it clearly shows that it's playing 5.1 AAC. I believe my problem now could be due to the lack of HDMI on my receiver. So my question is, how can I get sound through the optical out of the PS3?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #85 of 90 Old 10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I checked DVD43 and it says not compatible with vista(64) do you recommend any alternatives?

Has anyone found any alternatives for 64-bit OS's yet? I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (64) and I'm now out of luck with DVD43.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #86 of 90 Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Just wanted to thank you, imdjenk.

I tried for months using different programs that either were annoying to work with, slow, bloated, confusing, or probably filled with ad/spy/or malware.

When I saw your thread a few months back, I dismissed it as another possible way of getting my movies ripped, but probably not worth the headache.
I finally decided to give a try a about a month back, and was surprised at how f'n simple it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post

Has anyone found any alternatives for 64-bit OS's yet? I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (64) and I'm now out of luck with DVD43.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have?

I was just reading about the 3 different versions, mostly curious about the XP mode part for this very reason, and thought that maybe you can try to get DVD43 to run on it?
post #87 of 90 Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVblues3 View Post

Which version of Windows 7 do you have?

I was just reading about the 3 different versions, mostly curious about the XP mode part for this very reason, and thought that maybe you can try to get DVD43 to run on it?

I have the Professional edition and it does have the compatibility mode, but DVD43 still doesn't work because it's still simulating a 64-bit version of XP or any other windows OS. So far DVD43 is the only program that is 32-bit based that hasn't worked for me.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #88 of 90 Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikasauce View Post

One thing I forgot to mention is that I encoded the movie again except this time I chose AAC per the OP's "HDMI" instructions. The file will play w/ sound on my PC but still no sound on the PS3. When I hit "select" on the PS3 remote to bring up the information tabs it clearly shows that it's playing 5.1 AAC. I believe my problem now could be due to the lack of HDMI on my receiver. So my question is, how can I get sound through the optical out of the PS3?

I was in the same boat and what i did was to encode 2 different audio stream.

Under audio:

5.1 - AC3

5.1 - AAC - Dolby Pro Logic II - 48khz - Bitrate - 160

So it can past the audio through HDMI or (in my case) through optical going through my receiver.

On a different note, I followed this post:

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic....art=225#p44860

Using PMS, it worked once and played the movie flawlessly with 5.1 settings. After that, im unable to stream my movies.

PMS sees my PS3, but when i go through XMB and click the movies, nothing plays. It just sits there blank until i press the 'O' button.

Any thoughts?
post #89 of 90 Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 AM

Hello,

I like this method for backing up my DVDs but I am noticing that the results are noticable darker on the backup than on th original. Is there a setting that could improve this?

Thanks
post #90 of 90 Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does this still work after that firmware update changing usb drive stuff? Can you still use usb drives with the ps3?

when I went to DL handbrake with chrome browser it said it can harm my computer = ?

Thank you

edit - nevermind the above.. will I be able to transfer the movies still after the usb firmware update? I think it was supposed to disable them or something like that. Oh, and. You absolutely need a ps3 media server?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page