DVD ripping 5.1 audio, full seek, full quality, 2GB size one step! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First I would like to thank Turd Furgeson for his streaming threads and Google. This reason I am making this thread is because it took me days of research to come up with this, and I thought this should be in one place for others that are looking to do the same thing. This is probably common knowledge to most but for someone like me it was a royal pain to come up with this.

My primary goal was to rip my DVD collection while maintaining video quality, full 5.1 audio, save on storage space and be able to stream to my PS3 without losing any seek capability. The only catch is that to encode in h.264 is pretty CPU intensive and it takes my C2D box ~ 3 hours for encoding. The good news is my media server box is an old P4 and streams these files no issue, with full seek and 5.1 audio at ~ 2GB per movie! Well worth it because I can have a VOB in 15 minutes but with no compression you're looking at minimum 4GB files. Also, MP4 H.264 files are natively playable from the PS3 harddrive, unlike VOB which also require extra step of conversion to MPG. I haven't been able to confirm this, will someone be so kind? Edit: Success! I was able to copy the MP4 file to the PS3 hard drive and it works!

What you will need(I did not provide links but easily Googled)
- Media server (confirmed with Tversity and PS3 Media Server)
- Encoder (I used Handbrake and stuck with it because it is so consistent)
- DVD decrypter (I used DVD43, it's free and runs in the backround. Just set it and forget it!)

What to do This is for HDMI receivers only! See end for optical.
-Get your media server up and running. (that is a whole other tutorial)
-Install and run Handbrake and DVD 43.
-Insert DVD. DVD 43 will auto detect and run in the backround. There is a yellow smiley face in the task bar and when it turns green you are ready.
-Click Source on Handbrake and select the DVD drive and set your destination folder.
-Configure Handbrake
a. In presets column to right select PS3
b. Change output settings to MP4
c. In video tab make sure codec is H.264
d. In audio tab select for source English 5.1 AC3, Codec AAC, Mixdown 6 channel discrete. I also like to select english subtitles with the "forced subtitles only" box checked. Theoretically there are subtitles only when the director intended them ie when someone is speaking a foreign language. I have not been able to confirm if this works, will someone be so kind? IIRC, Kill Bill is a good example.
e. Everything else stays default, press Start and ~ 3 hours later you will have an MP4 file that is seekable, smaller, looks great and half the size! Please note that with PSM, I could not get the seek to work past 1.5x but apparently my P4 box is not powerful enough but no issues with Tversity.
f. Don't forget to manually enable AAC in the XMB auidio settings on your PS3. Do not expect any fancy DD lights to come on because the audio is decoded on the PS3 and PCM to your receiver.

Someone please confirm if this works directly off PS3 hard drive with no streaming as I have no means to do this currently. Edit: Works off PS3 hardrive, no transcoding! Also, I have not messed around with DTS so if someone would like to contribute please feel free.

For receivers with optical only, replace step d.
d. Audio settings codec "AC3"
Please note that Tversity does not play the end file with AC3 and I could only get it to work with PSM with transcode(mencoder). I do not have an optical connection but this should theoretically work because all the DD lights turn on my receiver. Someone kindly confirm!

Happy ripping!

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Wow. Thanks for this. Will give it a shot.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #3 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Yes thank u for ur time
post #4 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was able to copy an MP4 to the PS3 hard drive and great success! I edited the original post.

om [NOM] nom
post #5 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks imdjenk. I've been experimenting with this sort of stuff off and on for the better part of the past year. I'll give it a go!
post #6 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks for this info! I'm interested in ripping DVDs to my external HDD and then streaming them via PS3 Media Server. Is there any step in this process I could skip if I wasn't concerned about the PS3 being able to play the files directly (as opposed to through the media server)?
post #7 of 90 Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mgr, my original plan was to simply stream with Tversity. The fact that is works directly off the PS3 is a bonus. H.264 is the way to go because although processor hungry to encode, it is a small file size better in video quality than other codecs. Once encoded it does not use any cpu to play even with PS3 media server. My P4 box peaked at 8% running an MP4 with Tversity. Plus, if you look past all the setup, it really is only one step!

The only thing different I would suggest is maybe use audio codec to AC3 to get the nice DD lights to come on your AVR. This does not work well with Tversity though, only PSM.

om [NOM] nom
post #8 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 AM

I've had success copying a MP4 file and playing it from the PS3, but when streaming wireless with PS3 Media Server I get some stuttering. I'm not sure if its because of the wireless or my old computer.
post #9 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryx View Post

I've had success copying a MP4 file and playing it from the PS3, but when streaming wireless with PS3 Media Server I get some stuttering. I'm not sure if its because of the wireless or my old computer.

Matryx, it's most likely your wireless, but also PMS does not play nice with older computers. Just to make sure you can temporarily run a cat 5 to your PS3 to check. I would also recommend trying Tversity because i have an older computer(P4) for my media server and it works better with Tversity because it uses alot less resources. No thumbnails though I'm afraid.

om [NOM] nom
post #10 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM

imdjenk, do you know if i can get selectable english subtitles (toggle on/off) using ur steps/ the software ur using. English subtitles as in all dialogue (like closed caption)

i use to use dvdshrink and then dr. divx. that allowed me 5.1 sound and toggle-able subtitles
post #11 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Awesome putting this all together in one short & sweet post! This is sticky worthy.
post #12 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormieTrice View Post

imdjenk, do you know if i can get selectable english subtitles (toggle on/off) using ur steps/ the software ur using. English subtitles as in all dialogue (like closed caption)

i use to use dvdshrink and then dr. divx. that allowed me 5.1 sound and toggle-able subtitles

Being that I don't use subtitles, I haven't checked into this. IIRC, the subtitles will be permanently burned in if you select the option for subtitles and is not switchable. Maybe someone else can confirm as I am not sure on this. I would love to try it for you but its almost a three hour encode!

om [NOM] nom
post #13 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM

I have a couple questions with respect to specific steps in your process....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

-Click Source on Handbrake and select the DVD drive and set your destination folder.

I inserted a DVD and have DVD43 running (with the green smiley face on my task bar), but when I select my DVD drive it says "No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source..."

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

-Configure Handbrake
a. In presets column to right select PS3
b. Change output settings to MP4
c. In video tab make sure codec is H.264

For step b, do I change the "Encoder" drop-down selection listed under "Output Settings" to "Mpeg 4"?

For step c, I don't see a place to confirm that the codec is H.264 on the "Video Settings" tab. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks for your help!
post #14 of 90 Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl View Post

I have a couple questions with respect to specific steps in your process....

I inserted a DVD and have DVD43 running (with the green smiley face on my task bar), but when I select my DVD drive it says "No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source..."

Any ideas?

For step b, do I change the "Encoder" drop-down selection listed under "Output Settings" to "Mpeg 4"?

For step c, I don't see a place to confirm that the codec is H.264 on the "Video Settings" tab. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks for your help!

Mgr, are you using version 0.9.3, and did you remember to set the preset to "PS3"? What you're describing doesn't sound familiar to me.

The codec should be default H.264 if you preset to PS3. In the "Video" tab, right next to the "Picture settings" tab, there is a drop down box for "video codec". The options are Mpeg 4(Xvid), Mpeg 4 (FFmpg), H.264, and VP3.

The "output settings" there is a drop down box for "format". This is where you selct MP4.

I'm not sure why handbrake is not recognizing your disc, did you try another DVD? Hope I could help, good luck!

om [NOM] nom
post #15 of 90 Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I highly recommend cranking up the bitrate on the audio. It defaults to 160 kbps which sounds terrible and really compressed. I recommend putting it at the highest setting so that the 5.1 audio comes out right.
post #16 of 90 Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Imdjenk...I followed your instructions to the letter last nite. Strange thing is, when I select the file on my computer to play it (I havent tried streaming to PS3 yet), it opens in Nero and the audio starts playing but the video doesnt appear. In all likelihood, you've probably not experienced this issue. Still, if you know what's going on I'd appreciate the heads up.
post #17 of 90 Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

Imdjenk...I followed your instructions to the letter last nite. Strange thing is, when I select the file on my computer to play it (I havent tried streaming to PS3 yet), it opens in Nero and the audio starts playing but the video doesnt appear. In all likelihood, you've probably not experienced this issue. Still, if you know what's going on I'd appreciate the heads up.

I haven't had time to look into this, I have a similar issue. Wierd thing is the file plays in my P4 box on WMP11 with XP perfectly, however it will not play on my C2D box with WMP11 running on Vista. I didn't have time to check if I have all the codecs up to date on my Vista machine but I'm pretty sure that's the problem. See if you can force it to run on WMP11 or VLC, I'm curious to find out as well. I won't be home untill 9.00PM EST tonight.

This is duh of me, but I didn't realize that I can copy the file to the PS3 simply by pressing Triangle and "Copy". Instead I was trying to delete stuff off my 2GB thumbdrive.

om [NOM] nom
post #18 of 90 Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM

I downloaded Handbrake from cnet, and apparently they don't have the most recent version. I was using 0.9.1. Once I updated, things worked smoothly (so far). Still working on the first movie, but things appear to be going fine. Thanks for your help!
post #19 of 90 Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

DTS is unable to be played from any ripped material. Only DD is. If you rip it to DTS you will get a result of AAC 2-channel audio.

I myself when I tried handbrake, usually resulted in an unplayable file. But I did a lot of tinkering back then.

Good info !!
post #20 of 90 Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Oh my I found out some really interesting information this evening conerning DTS sound for streaming to our PS3's.

From MKV2VOB:

V2.4.4 16/Feb/2009
Added DTS can now be played from file without transcoding (Disc/Streaming). *
Added support for MKV with XviD/DivX video.
Fixed Drag and Drop not recognize ts and rar files.
Fixed AC3 skipping/stutter on some decoders.
Fixed Drag and Dropping a folder with "delete folder" checked may delete wrong folder.
Fixed "Error Transcoding Video" on MKV missing bitrate flag.
Fixed "Insufficient Disk Space" error when splitting to small fat32 drives.

* Do not change any settings in the ps3 that effects audio playback.
The PS3 must pass the DTS to your audio receiver untouched.
The options when you press triangle must be Audio: Left + Right and Volume: Normal.
post #21 of 90 Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Turd F. I ripped a movie last night in XVID. I didn't have time to test it out on the PS3 yet but so far it plays fine on my laptop. It took less than a half hour to rip and took up less than 1G. If this works, I will rip the movies where video quality is not as critical like stand up stuff or South Park. I am LOVING the audio and video quality of h.264 MP4's but man, I was ripping Battlestar Galactica season 1, disk 1 and it took six hours of both my CPU cores running at 100%!

I will post results tonight.. that is IF I can put KZ2 down for a minute!

om [NOM] nom
post #22 of 90 Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ripped XVID using handbrake with 6 channel discrete and it does not play natively on the PS3. Not sure why, I thought it was a supported format. It does however work with transcoding via PMS, and works on my PC with WMP11. I'm not too bummed as the quality is WAY inferior to h.264.

om [NOM] nom
post #23 of 90 Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
so the point in this is to use a bypasser and handbrake? (what is it?) and tversity? (what for?) and last just Change output settings to MP4 and In video tab make sure codec is H.264

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #24 of 90 Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

so the point in this is to use a bypasser and handbrake? (what is it?) and tversity? (what for?) and last just Change output settings to MP4 and In video tab make sure codec is H.264

The point in this is to have the highest quality DVD rip possible in the smallest file size possible that will stream off ANY media server without transcoding AND if you choose to do so play natively off the PS3 harddrive while maintaining 5.1 surround sound AND keep it simple to one step instead of multiple steps such as ripping to VOB and converting to MPG or demux and remux or VOB merging and other things like that. Hows that for a run on sentence? People have been trying to do this for a long time and I just put it into one thread for people that are interested. I did alot of research and googling and read through ALL of the streaming threads here on AVS so I am trying to help make it convenient for others so they don't have to do the same.

Handbrake = video encoder
Tversity = media server for streaming to PS3 (not necessary, optional if you don't want to store the MP4's on your PS3 harddrive)

om [NOM] nom
post #25 of 90 Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you! now i get it insted of using Tversity as streaming to PS3 i can put it to hdd via the Handbrake video encoder by doing
output settings to MP4
video codec is H.264

seems simple

install handbrake dvd43 or anydvd do settings adjustments and let it create the file > transfer the file via mem stick or such and that file can be saved to ps3 hdd ? right?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #26 of 90 Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Exactly, and don't forget to select AAC 6 channel discrete if you want to keep the 5.1 soundtrack. The only downside is even with a Core 2 Duo processor, you're looking at ~ 3 hours for encoding a full length film.

om [NOM] nom
post #27 of 90 Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't mean this to rain on anyone's parade, but I do not see the big advantage of this method over RIPping straight to MPEG2 with DVD Shrink.

I RIPped about 50 DVDs this past weekend. Just select the main feature in DVD Shrink with the audio that you want and deselect the split VOB option in the preferences. Voila, you have a single .vob file. Then change the extension to .mpg and you can use it on a hard drive directly attached to the PS3 or stream it with transcoding. I am using a Linksys WRT610N router with a 1 TB hard drive attached via USB. The Linksys has Twonky on it and I know it does not have the horsepower to do any transcoding.

This way I get the exact MPEG2 data that is on the DVD and the exact audio data as well. Nothing is lost or altered.

So the only advantage I see to reencoding is saving space. You are certainly not increasing quality. I can do 1.5x and 10x fast forwarding when streaming via 100 Base-T wired ethernet. With a hard drive directly attached to the PS3 or a faster NAS and gigabit you could probably do even faster fast forwarding.

So am I missing something or is saving space the only advantage?

Or does you method preserve the bookmarks/chapeter marks from the .IFO files on the DVD?

Thanks,

Abe
post #28 of 90 Old 03-06-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Abe, the main concern here is saving space AND maintaining quality. Many were using Divx to save place but the quality is pretty crappy. I used to use the method you mentioned but each VOB takes up 4-6 GB and more if you don't run compression. If you are also storing HD videos that also run around 6GB+, then you will run out of room fast. Also, not everyone has 1T of storage. Not to mention converting VOB to mpeg is an extra step. Simply renaming the VOB to MPG does not work enough times where I found it frustrating. The only time I rip VOB is if I'm going to also want a hard copy burned on DVR, but thats hardly ever.

om [NOM] nom
post #29 of 90 Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Abe because a .vob is a file not reconised by a ps3 so changing or trans/renecoding is more i assume.... i dont think by changing the . vob to . mpeg solves the issue its just like re naming the file right?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #30 of 90 Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

I'm debating whether to pick up an external usb blu-ray drive just to convert some movies to the psp for the kid. Will this work for blu-rays as well or just standard dvd's?

Thanks, great tutorial and exactly what I was looking for...

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page