Any tip's on repairing scratched Blu-ray's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDTVblues3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any recommendations for repairing my MGS4 disc. It fell off my desk last year and I didn't notice until I stepped on it. It has very noticeable surface damage.

Since the way the BD discs are manufactured, I am hesitant to try the Brasso fix (after experimenting on Lunar [RIP]) until I'm sure it won't cause some kinda major defect or something.

I don't want to use a skip dr since the last disc I've tried it on, Lunar PS1, both wheels just seemed to cause more scratches, and the rubber from the wheel leaves a foggy smudge. Like the quality of the product has gone down or something.

btw - It wasn't on the floor until now, it's just that I just remembered about it.
HDTVblues3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
didn't know that blurays could get scratched. Never got a single rental with visible marks yet. I don't think there is any real way to repair the coating.
Goatse is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dan C OSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

didn't know that blurays could get scratched. Never got a single rental with visible marks yet. I don't think there is any real way to repair the coating.


+1

I have tired ot scratch them. finger nail no good, ground no good. IT took a 3" screw with a load of pressure.

PSN: onemoretry

add me fools
Dan C OSG is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
RoguishClyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVblues3 View Post

Does anyone have any recommendations for repairing my MGS4 disc. It fell off my desk last year and I didn't notice until I stepped on it. It has very noticeable surface damage.

Since the way the BD discs are manufactured, I am hesitant to try the Brasso fix (after experimenting on Lunar [RIP]) until I'm sure it won't cause some kinda major defect or something.

I don't want to use a skip dr since the last disc I've tried it on, Lunar PS1, both wheels just seemed to cause more scratches, and the rubber from the wheel leaves a foggy smudge. Like the quality of the product has gone down or something.

btw - It wasn't on the floor until now, it's just that I just remembered about it.

Try to use a micro-fiber cloth and buff it real good; that should work; most Blu-ray scratches are illusions. If that doesn't work; I would try some disk skip fixer stuff. Basicly it's liquid plastic that dries like car wax. Once crusted over; buff residue away and problem should be solved; I got this stuff from Gamestop it's like $7-$8 for a bottle but a little goes along ways. Good luck!

PSN Network: RoguishClyde
Dark Souls; I LOVE YOU!!!!
RoguishClyde is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kingram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a few game disc's (xbox,360)resurfaced at gamecrazy's ($2)and have all worked great but haven't tried Blu Ray.
Kingram is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NJ3118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C OSG View Post

+1

I have tired ot scratch them. finger nail no good, ground no good. IT took a 3" screw with a load of pressure.

I hope this was a blank BD?!?

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
NJ3118 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C OSG View Post

+1

I have tired ot scratch them. finger nail no good, ground no good. IT took a 3" screw with a load of pressure.

-7 (for every Blu-Ray I've got from NF that has been scratched to the point of skipping). Well, 3 of those were cracked, not scratched, which is really the fault of the post office machines, I believe. So -4 for the scratched ones. Of course, the data layer is shallower, so even though they are harder to scratch (due to the hardcoating) it doesn't take as bad of a scratch to cause problems.

I'm pretty sure people use NF discs as dog toys (i.e. Frisbees for a game of fetch). Can't believe you guys haven't seen a scratched one. Of course, it's still not as bad as the DVDs are/were.

I have no idea how to repair them though.
mproper is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
jremy510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

-7 (for every Blu-Ray I've got from NF that has been scratched to the point of skipping). Well, 3 of those were cracked, not scratched, which is really the fault of the post office machines, I believe. So -4 for the scratched ones. Of course, the data layer is shallower, so even though they are harder to scratch (due to the hardcoating) it doesn't take as bad of a scratch to cause problems.

I'm pretty sure people use NF discs as dog toys (i.e. Frisbees for a game of fetch). Can't believe you guys haven't seen a scratched one. Of course, it's still not as bad as the DVDs are/were.

I have no idea how to repair them though.

You must have really bad luck. I've received a few scratched DVDs with Netflix, but all the BRs are pristine.
jremy510 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 View Post

You must have really bad luck. I've received a few scratched DVDs with Netflix, but all the BRs are pristine.

It's probably those no good hippie teens who keep walking on my lawn

I watch a LOT of movies, so 7 bad discs out of the couple hundred Blu-Rays I've probably watched over the last couple of years is really not that bad.
mproper is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
jayoldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Car wax. Works wonders on scratched discs. I use CanFlix (Canadian NetFlix), so I get lots of scratched up stuff. I keep a bottle of car wax and a cloth in my media cabinet.

If you REALLY want the best, use Meguiar's plastic polish/scratch remover. Available at car parts places in the detail section.
jayoldschool is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
imdjenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are numerous unethical solutions to your problem but I will not post them as I do not condone such activity... anymore.



*coughrebuynewfromgamestopwithinsurancereplacebadcopywithnew andreplacewithanothergameatwalmartcough*

*cough* *phlegm*

Excuse me, allergies.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
imdjenk is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
WiseGuy2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Car wax. Works wonders on scratched discs. I use CanFlix (Canadian NetFlix), so I get lots of scratched up stuff. I keep a bottle of car wax and a cloth in my media cabinet.

If you REALLY want the best, use Meguiar's plastic polish/scratch remover. Available at car parts places in the detail section.

Funny thing I did the exact same thing for HD DVD from canflix.. worked very well. Damn canflix always had problems wit scratched discs, i usually used the polish on dem b4 attempting to watch the disc.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

WiseGuy2k7 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gooki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Queenstown, New Zealand
Posts: 3,812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The big issue is BD uses a substantially different coating than DVD, CD, HDDVD and nearly every other type of optical disc ever made. It's also sufficiently different to clear coat paints used on cars etc.

I'd go with the micro fiber cloth suggestion. And if that doesn't work, do want you want, but I'd hazard a guess the only economical way to fix it is to have it replaced.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
gooki is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDTVblues3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for your responses. I tried quoting more but I'm new @ quoting on forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

didn't know that blurays could get scratched. Never got a single rental with visible marks yet. I don't think there is any real way to repair the coating.

Yeah, I dropped Uncharted and Casino Royale a couple times handling them too delicately and they were fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Car wax. Works wonders on scratched discs. I use CanFlix (Canadian NetFlix), so I get lots of scratched up stuff. I keep a bottle of car wax and a cloth in my media cabinet.

If you REALLY want the best, use Meguiar's plastic polish/scratch remover. Available at car parts places in the detail section.

That's like with the disc buffers. I'm not ready for that kind of technique yet on a BD. But I'd be willing to try on a cd or dvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

There are numerous unethical solutions to your problem but I will not post them as I do not condone such activity... anymore.



*coughrebuynewfromgamestopwithinsurancereplacebadcopywithnew andreplacewithanothergameatwalmartcough*

*cough* *phlegm*

Excuse me, allergies.

Whoa, sorry I didn't get that. You, okay?

Here try some of this


Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

The big issue is BD uses a substantially different coating than DVD, CD, HDDVD and nearly every other type of optical disc ever made. It's also sufficiently different to clear coat paints used on cars etc.

I'd go with the micro fiber cloth suggestion. And if that doesn't work, do want you want, but I'd hazard a guess the only economical way to fix it is to have it replaced.

That's why I was handling Uncharted so lightly. It feels so soft on the sides, I'm afarid of damaging them even tho i know they can handle a little more abuse.
HDTVblues3 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDTVblues3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoguishClyde View Post

Try to use a micro-fiber cloth and buff it real good; that should work; most Blu-ray scratches are illusions. If that doesn't work; I would try some disk skip fixer stuff. Basicly it's liquid plastic that dries like car wax. Once crusted over; buff residue away and problem should be solved; I got this stuff from Gamestop it's like $7-$8 for a bottle but a little goes along ways. Good luck!

The scratches are there unfortunately. I think a chair might have slid over it at least once. I can feel them and when you look at them it's kinda scary considering it's MGS4 CE.

I'm gonna think on some of your suggestions. I'll either buff it with a chemical, or take it to GameStop (if they're safe).

My Lunar disc (guinea-pig) was attempted with Brasso Creamy. So, now I'm gonna re-try with Braso original.

I'm gonna try and get a pic of the MGS4 disc.
HDTVblues3 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
BuckoNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too thought blu-ray were supposed to be more robust in the "scratching" dept. However, I find that many movies I get from a rental service here in NZ - although there doesn't appear to be that much scratching - seem to skip. Probably 1 in 4 would do this?
BuckoNZ is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
iamkoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 View Post

You must have really bad luck. I've received a few scratched DVDs with Netflix, but all the BRs are pristine.

I've gotten a few dud blu-rays from NF, I blame the post office as they love to cram my mail into the box.
iamkoza is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 03-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
moepoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birch Run, MI
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I've gotten a few dud blu-rays from NF, I blame the post office as they love to cram my mail into the box.

Get a bigger mail box.

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
moepoker is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Newbie
 
TotalDiscRepair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blu-ray is more susceptible to damage, because the data layer is only covered by a thin protective layer. The protective layer is scratch resistant, but not scratch proof.

If a light-medium scratch occurs, it can usually be repaired because scratches often range between 5-20µm deep.

The protective layer is about 100µm thick, and many disc repair machines polish the surface away at a rate of 1-5µm/min.

This means that most Blu-ray can be repaired in a matter of minutes on a compatible machine (which is most of them). Plus, several repairs can be made before the protective layer is too thin.

When it can't be repaired:
* A really deep scratch that has damaged the data layer.
* If the disc is cracked.
* When the protective layer is already too thin from several previous repairs.
* If the repair machine is not compatible.

There many stores out there with disc repair machines capable of repairing Blu-ray - you just need to ask your local gaming, music or video store, or search for Disc Repair Listings.

If you looking to buy such a machine, you just need to search for a Disc Repair Machine - the manufacturer will tell you if it is Blu-ray compatible.

Although some people claim to have success with manual cleaning using gentle abrasives, if the damage is anything other than very light, you will not be able to get a consist level of repair and generally either make the damage no better, or possibly worse. There's a good reason why stores spend good money on professional machines - because they know manual methods and cheap machines don't do the job fully.
TotalDiscRepair is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off