Logitech Harmony Remote Adapter for PlayStation 3 Answers a Million Prayers - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 367 Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post

I'm using the adapter with my slim and it doesn't work properly. It causes my dual shock to lose the BT connection and I have to keep it plugged into the slim for it to be recognized. This doesn't happen with my 80GB unit and the same harmony adapter, and I've tried swapping the slim once already to experience the same issue. I wonder if there's an incompatibility issue with the new slim and the logitech adapter?

I do not have this problem at all with mine on a new slim.

You might try deleting all paired BT devices then repair them one by one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 367 Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

No, it isn't true--the PS3 Slim doesn't have IR control. They've added control via HDMI CEC from new model Sony televisions (which are controlled via normal IR remote), but if you don't have one of those, you're stuck with BT.

The Bravia Sync/HDMI-CEC doesn't work only with a Sony TV. It works on others HDMI-CEC capable TV/projector, at least for my Toshiba LCD TV with HDMI-CEC enabled. I can navigate the CrossMedia bar and play media files/DVD/Blu-ray through my Toshiba's IR TV remote.

Someone tried it with his Sharp LCD TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJdHryFKAqI

So, I guess at least for the folks with the new Slim you can program your Logitech to control the PS3 through your HDMI-CEC capable TV IR?
post #243 of 367 Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
cancelled buy.com order,placed jr order, price match, free ship, no tax, to be shipped on sept 8th.
post #244 of 367 Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
when will it be available in Europe?
post #245 of 367 Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM

I contacted Logitech about the issue with the slim, they said they have multiple reports of this issue already, so they escalated the issue to Level 2, guess it means there's some sort of incompatibility with some of the chipsets in the slim and the harmony adapter.
post #246 of 367 Old 09-01-2009, 12:37 PM

Has worked flawlessly with my PS3 slim, haven't lost any controller connections and turns unit on/off without fail.
post #247 of 367 Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

I've noticed that when I turn my PS3 Slim on with my dual shock, the controller will remain paired, however, if I turn the PS3 Slim on with my Harmony One, the dual shock has difficulty staying connected to the PS3, if I can get it connected at all. Glad to hear they're working on a solution or at least they're aware of the problem.

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #248 of 367 Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:

I contacted Logitech about the issue with the slim, they said they have multiple reports of this issue already, so they escalated the issue to Level 2, guess it means there's some sort of incompatibility with some of the chipsets in the slim and the harmony adapter.

i have a fat and my controllers unpair themselves all the time since i started using the adapter.
post #249 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Sign me up.... I got the same problem.
post #250 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl@ltDel View Post

Sign me up.... I got the same problem.

Wow this is deja-vu for the IR2BT original. Let me do some digging. IIRC though, there was something wrong with the code that was corrupted when sony did a minor BT update back a year ago. It was very similar syptoms as you all are seeing. It was if you used the remote to turn on there were errors, if you used the controller, then there were none. So the issue was that they needed to fix the firmware in the device to and tweak something. This led to a massive recall as the devices didn't have a port to allow end user firmware updates. Sound like Harmony, when it decided to join this game, went the route of the original IR2BT. Not to sound negative, but this isn't a very good thing for you guys as you have no way to fix the issue. I can tell you this it's not Sony didn't do it intentionally. My converter box at home still works, but I'm with the PS3IR-PRO. If there was an issue we could get firmware updates.

FW. 2.4 was the culprit back then:
IR2BT 2008 RECALL
IR to BT Converter Reviews and information on the recall in the first post too.

Which is hysterical because I just read the IR2BT thread and those that never sent them in for recall and remain "broken" now after 3.00 are working 100%! LOL Damn Sony and this need to tweak something in the BT firmwares...

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #251 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens15 View Post

I had the same problem with my 1st slim, also wouldnt power down half the time , no problems with 2nd one.

Spoke to soon, same problem with the 2nd one. Ive noticed when the control wont sync it shows port 3 & 4 are synced.
post #252 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoke to soon, same problem with the 2nd one. kind of ironic the non updated ir2bt are working again.

are you all FW 3.00 or is it just a slim issue.

post #253 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

are you all FW 3.00 or is it just a slim issue.

My first slim did it before 3.0, 2nd after.
post #254 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My first slim did it before 3.0, 2nd after.

well that sucks.

post #255 of 367 Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM

Its a harmony slim problem, hooked the fat up (both 500 gig & 3.0) no problem, switched back, same sh*t. My work around, if your going to play a game, turn on with controller.
post #256 of 367 Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Sound like Harmony, when it decided to join this game, went the route of the original IR2BT.

That's what I noticed back when the Harmony adapter was released. I have an IR2BT from the first batch units (22nd maybe) and had to send mine in for the 2.4 firmware fix. Since then every IR to BT converter has included a port for end-user firmware updates (with the IR2BT being discontinued). Logitech leaving this feature out is simply lazy/cheap. If you are using the Logitech adapter then you already use their software to update your Harmony remote so why not put the same USB port on the adapter? They wouldn't even need to pack in a cable.

post #257 of 367 Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Wow this is deja-vu for the IR2BT original. Let me do some digging. IIRC though, there was something wrong with the code that was corrupted when sony did a minor BT update back a year ago. It was very similar syptoms as you all are seeing. It was if you used the remote to turn on there were errors, if you used the controller, then there were none. So the issue was that they needed to fix the firmware in the device to and tweak something. This led to a massive recall as the devices didn't have a port to allow end user firmware updates. Sound like Harmony, when it decided to join this game, went the route of the original IR2BT. Not to sound negative, but this isn't a very good thing for you guys as you have no way to fix the issue. I can tell you this it's not Sony didn't do it intentionally. My converter box at home still works, but I'm with the PS3IR-PRO. If there was an issue we could get firmware updates.

FW. 2.4 was the culprit back then:
IR2BT 2008 RECALL
IR to BT Converter Reviews and information on the recall in the first post too.

Which is hysterical because I just read the IR2BT thread and those that never sent them in for recall and remain "broken" now after 3.00 are working 100%! LOL Damn Sony and this need to tweak something in the BT firmwares...

I'm the one that posted about my IR2BT working fine after v3.0. Hopefully Sony doesn't screw up my IR2BT when they fix the Dualshock 2 connection (and maybe the Logitech) issues.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #258 of 367 Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My PS3 slim is working just fine on 3.0 with the adapter.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #259 of 367 Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Crap! Now my new slim is exhibiting the same problem with the Harmony adapter!

Anybody want to buy a practically brand new Harmony adapter? I think I'm going with the Schmartz adapter.

post #260 of 367 Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM

I have a 60GB launch model and just got the Harmony Adapter today to find that it has the same problem. This is NOT a problem exclusive to the Slim. My version: turn the PS3 on with the conntroller, no problems. BOth controller and remote work fine. Turn the PS3 on with the Harmony: the controllers will not pair at all. None of them. They just blink all 4 LEDs endlessly. Plug the controller in via USB and it will eventually, but unplug it and it goes back to the 4 LED blink. I hope this can get fixed. The adapter really is an ideal solution, I'd hate to take it back to the store.
post #261 of 367 Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 461
This is so strange. I have a 60GB launch model PS3 and I paired the Harmony adapter with it once back when I got it, about a week or so after it was announced. All of my controllers pair with the PS3 instantly and work just fine in tandem with the Harmony.

I wonder what's causing the problem that some people are seeing? Maybe it's some kind of bug with some of the Harmony adapters.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #262 of 367 Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinouser View Post

I have a 60GB launch model and just got the Harmony Adapter today to find that it has the same problem. This is NOT a problem exclusive to the Slim. My version: turn the PS3 on with the conntroller, no problems. BOth controller and remote work fine. Turn the PS3 on with the Harmony: the controllers will not pair at all. None of them. They just blink all 4 LEDs endlessly. Plug the controller in via USB and it will eventually, but unplug it and it goes back to the 4 LED blink. I hope this can get fixed. The adapter really is an ideal solution, I'd hate to take it back to the store.

the controlers on my 60gb did that before i got the adapter. i think the ps3's bt just freaks out every now and then.
post #263 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up ditching the harmony adapter and went with the Schmartz PS3IR-500. Works like a champ and was only $20-30.

post #264 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 06:25 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was reading over the Harmony support section and they suggested that if you still have a PS3 BT remote you should remove the batteries even if it is no longer paired to the PS3. I was using the PS3 remote with my second PS3 in another room, after removing the batteries the issue has been resolved to some degree.

I say to some degree because I still have an issue which, it is as follows:

If I turn on the PS3 with the PS3 adapter and then subsequently turn on a dual shock controller I have to remember to turn of the DS before turning off the PS3 with the harmony adapter; if I forget to do that the PS3 seems to do something really odd; I lose signal to the TV, and the PS3 power button keeps blinking but it never turns off; the only way to remedy it is to physically unplug the power cable.

If i remember to turn off the DS or power the PS3 down using the DS everything is fine.
post #265 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinouser View Post

I have a 40 gig PS3 and got a Logitech Harmony IR to Bluetooth adapter for it 3 weeks ago. I paired the adapter with the PS3 as part of the setup procedure and it has stayed paired. I should explain, though, that I use my PS3 as a BD player exclusively. Thus, I haven't touched the game controller since i setup the adapter. Anyway, the adapter has been perfect for me. I could not be more delighted with it. Better yet, you can now buy one though Amazon for a lot less than I had to pay.
post #266 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

I ended up ditching the harmony adapter and went with the Schmartz PS3IR-500. Works like a champ and was only $20-30.

i would like that for $20, from where? I think logitech even for $40 is rip off.
post #267 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I got mine from Amazon. It was listed at $39.95 but I had some credits from an earlier purchase that brought it under $30. Even at $39.95 it's a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3IR-500-Infr...2961510&sr=8-2

post #268 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

This is so strange. I have a 60GB launch model PS3 and I paired the Harmony adapter with it once back when I got it, about a week or so after it was announced. All of my controllers pair with the PS3 instantly and work just fine in tandem with the Harmony.

I wonder what's causing the problem that some people are seeing? Maybe it's some kind of bug with some of the Harmony adapters.

Mike -- As noted in my earlier post today, I have had no pairing problem with my Harmony adapter, although I haven't even tried to use the game controller since I installed the adapter. Like you, I can't figure out why some people are having so much trouble while others of us don't have any. I am just glad that my Harmony adapter works well. It has made using my PS3 significantly easier than when I was still relying on a Nyko.
post #269 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

I got mine from Amazon. It was listed at $39.95 but I had some credits from an earlier purchase that brought it under $30. Even at $39.95 it's a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3IR-500-Infr...2961510&sr=8-2

At that price, I'll pass it for logitech for $43, that works like charm. I can now sell my ps3 remote and stay cheaper lol.
post #270 of 367 Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Mike -- As noted in my earlier post today, I have had no pairing problem with my Harmony adapter, although I haven't even tried to use the game controller since I installed the adapter. Like you, I can't figure out why some people are having so much trouble while others of us don't have any. I am just glad that my Harmony adapter works well. It has made using my PS3 significantly easier than when I was still relying on a Nyko.

I absolutely love the thing. Availabilty was announced on May 13th--I ordered it from Amazon at the original price on the same day and got it on the 15th. It's worked perfectly ever since.

(My only criticism of it is that the "PS3 Off" function should have been implemented as a macro in the adapter, instead of in the remote, requiring that the remote be pointed at the adapter until it completes it. Of course, if they change the XMB radically enough to screw up that macro, it will be easier to fix in the remote).

Like you, I don't often play games on the PS3, but I use it all the time for watching streamed video files and Blu-ray discs--almost daily. Having to use Sony's awkward, unlit BT remote for that was painful and I was constantly trying to control it with my Harmony. This has been a godsend.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page