Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1 NAS w/ PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone managed to see the Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1 when you search for media players? If so, how? The device states it is compatible with all DLNA media players, which according to the DLNA website, includes the PS3. However, as I was searching around the Buffalo forums there was lots of mention of there being two different versions of this device. R1 having only one USB on the back and R3 having two (don't know where R2 went). Many seem to think that the R1 firmware will not work with the PS3 but that R3 will. The thing is that R1 is the only one listed on the Buffalo web site and I can't find a single reference on the Web to a R3 device available for sale or even a general reference to it. I bought this device (after returning another NAS) because it said it was DLNA compatible and I should be able to stream my music and pictures to the PS3. Any help or suggestions would be great?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Liked: 12
To be honest with you DLNA compatible devices do not communicate with each other very well. In the future they will but as of right now, its not happening (think of bluetooth in its early stages)....so you'll have to be patient w/ any DLNA certified devices you add to your network. You can download some free software based media streamers in the meantime, while the DLNA protocol is being worked on which I believe is the problem with the PS3 and other DLNA certified devices.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I actually managed to figure it out. I didn't put everything in a single shared folder with sub folders under it. Then I didn't refresh the server. Live and learn. But it seems to work quite well now that it is set up.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 PM

Liked: 12
Sweet I've been looking to upgrade my older model linkstation for quite sometime now, so the fact that yours is working w/ the ps3 is something i'll keep in mind.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Be sure to get LS-WTGL/R1-V3. There are a lot of posts saying get R3 but there is no such thing, its R1-V3.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceburna View Post

To be honest with you DLNA compatible devices do not communicate with each other very well. In the future they will but as of right now, its not happening (think of bluetooth in its early stages)....so you'll have to be patient w/ any DLNA certified devices you add to your network. You can download some free software based media streamers in the meantime, while the DLNA protocol is being worked on which I believe is the problem with the PS3 and other DLNA certified devices.

Sad, but true.

For the past year and a half of so I've been using a HP MediaVault NAS system to stream music and video, UPnP software is installed on the server and it's DLNA compatible so the pS3 connected directly to it with no need to use media server software on my PC and keep the PC running.

About 6 months ago I started getting "a dlna error has occured" on the tv screen every 20 seconds or so while streaming movies. Oddly enough it never occured while streaming music, only movies.

About a week ago the PS3 started reporting all media on the MediaVault as "unsupported data". It still sees the MediaVault, it just won't play anything on it.

Now I have to use PS3mediaserver on my PC and keep that running to stream any of my media from the MediaVault. Sucks, because it defeats the whole purpose of having NAS.

The only thing I can think of that I changed was about two weeks ago I added to the storage capacity of the MediaVault, the volume on it is now over a terrabyte, which it wasn't before. Don't know why that would make a difference though.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

Sad, but true.

For the past year and a half of so I've been using a HP MediaVault NAS system to stream music and video, UPnP software is installed on the server and it's DLNA compatible so the pS3 connected directly to it with no need to use media server software on my PC and keep the PC running.

About 6 months ago I started getting "a dlna error has occured" on the tv screen every 20 seconds or so while streaming movies. Oddly enough it never occured while streaming music, only movies.

About a week ago the PS3 started reporting all media on the MediaVault as "unsupported data". It still sees the MediaVault, it just won't play anything on it.

Now I have to use PS3mediaserver on my PC and keep that running to stream any of my media from the MediaVault. Sucks, because it defeats the whole purpose of having NAS.

The only thing I can think of that I changed was about two weeks ago I added to the storage capacity of the MediaVault, the volume on it is now over a terrabyte, which it wasn't before. Don't know why that would make a difference though.

Re the "unsupported data" problem you're having, do your films happen to be Divx or anything *.avi? Chances are good that this is a consequence of the 2.70 firmware update that Sony released last week.

Pretty widespread complaints about it here: http://boardsus.playstation.com/play....id=ps3updates

Initial indications are that the 2.70 update only works properly with NAS devices running Twonky 5+, and most NAS firmwares are based on some variation of Twonky 4. Enter: "unsupported data". Speculation is that either Sony will either have to revise this or there will need to be a new round of firmware updates for the NAS devices running Twonky 4 -- either way, sounds like we're waiting.

--Mav
post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM

Hello guys!

I am running Buffalo Linkstation Live and PS3 combo. I bought the Linkstation a few days ago, so I never saw how PS3 firmware update v2.70 broke things. However, I noticed that I was unable to stream divx/avi files from Linkstation to PS3 out-of-the-box.

Who knows what Sony did in their firmware update (01/04/2009), but it seems that installing Buffalo's own firmware update 1.07 (25/02/2009) fixes the problem and I am able to stream divx and avi files now!

Did Buffalo anticipate Sony's firmware update?

For example this article is speculating that Sony would be making the PlayStation 3 stricter in its dealings with DLNA servers:
Google words :PlayStation 3 Firmware 2.7 Breaks Media Streaming
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page