Sony might develop a cloud gaming system - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a great idea and it is a fair price. Xbox live runs about the same, and you don't get unlimited game use. I hope they can meet the potental demands of hosting with this project. They most likely using Vcloud or someother type of reliable hosting for this. I am excited to see how this comes out later this year. It is going to be a great day for gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 03-12-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Wow, and actual visit from the newly registered OnLive VP of marketing. We're honored.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #33 of 54 Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

$14.95 a month and you don't actually get anything? LOL

If the plan stays this way then it has no chance.

sounds like a possible south park episode.... except that it would actually have to get popular enough to be made fun of
post #34 of 54 Old 03-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Wow, and actual visit from the newly registered OnLive VP of marketing. We're honored.

post #35 of 54 Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoto77 View Post

This is a great idea and it is a fair price. Xbox live runs about the same, and you don't get unlimited game use. .

Xbox live runs about the same? Huh? Xbox Live is like $3 per month or less (if you find the 12+1 cards on sale for cheap). This service is $15 per month. That's a five fold increase.

As for unlimited game use, yeah, if it was $15 and you had unlimited use of their library of games like GameTap used to do, then that would be relatively decent.
post #36 of 54 Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Xbox live runs about the same? Huh? Xbox Live is like $3 per month or less (if you find the 12+1 cards on sale for cheap). This service is $15 per month. That's a five fold increase.

As for unlimited game use, yeah, if it was $15 and you had unlimited use of their library of games like GameTap used to do, then that would be relatively decent.

I LOL at him too! $180 a year for the right to pay more money to play actual games. The PS3 was $600 at release and everyone freaked out at the cost. To date the PS3 is 4 years old this holiday. The OnLive system would be $720 for 4 years, and the PS3 is not even close to being replaced yet. At 6 years, when I suspect we will see the PS3 replacement, OnLive would cost $1080 in comparison.

With the PS3 doing so much more than gaming, the value for OnLive isn't there. I would pay $20 a month if I had unlimited gaming. More than that and it wouldn't make financial sense for me. And I play a lot of games.

This will eventually be how we all game, but I dread the day when it comes to life. I really like the console life cycle and the excitement of getting a new system at launch. The speculation leading up to a new system is always fun to follow. The PS3 having Blu-Ray was huge for Sony and us. With Cloud gaming that is all gone.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #37 of 54 Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

***June 2011 Update ***

Onlive says they are talkng with console makers to bring the streaming tech to their machines:

Quote:

"I believe the cloud will become the dominant way to play high performance video games"

After the jostling for podium positions at E3, OnLive has declared itself “the fourth platform” – and predicted that it will soon be No.1 for core gaming.

The cloud-based service, which launches in the UK this autumn, has been live in the US for almost a year.

CEO Steve Perlman told MCV: “What’s exciting at the moment is that in some ways we’ve been an emerging platform until now. First we had to prove it worked, then that it would work across a certain scale. Then we had to bulk out the offering and start getting day and date releases, and we’ve done all that. People are now treating us like the fourth platform and it’s great to finally be there.”

Looking ahead, he claimed that eventually cloud-based gaming would be the only viable environment for the industry’s showcase releases.

“I believe the cloud will become the dominant way to play high performance video games,” he said. “We showed a trailer on our booth at E3 for Arkham City and I asked everyone who saw it, which part do you think is live action and which is computer generated? The truth is, it’s all computer generated and no one I asked got that.

“That demo is a preview of what’s coming to OnLive. And there’s no possible way to have sufficient computing power locally to run gaming like that in real time. But we can in a data centre.

“Even a new console, a monster sitting in your living room, couldn’t handle this stuff. It just can’t be done.”

post #38 of 54 Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Liked: 832

sure you will little guy, sure you will!
post #39 of 54 Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
OnLive is lame ATM, and why would Sony want to let a competitor onto their system? OnLive better write them a big check.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #40 of 54 Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** May 2012 Update ***

Here's the latest Sony cloud gaming rumor:

Quote:

In a move that will rock the next generation of console gaming, Sony is close to agreeing an acquisition of a high profile cloud gaming firm, MCV understands.

It was reported earlier this week that Sony was to reveal a partnership with a cloud gaming firm – specifically either OnLive or Gaikai – at E3 next week.

Subsequent chatter had seemingly calmed the rumours, suggesting that the proposed agreement was to do with Sony streaming TV services, and not consoles.

However, MCV understands that the deal is far more extensive than anyone could have predicted and will see Sony fully acquire one of the two firms. The deal, our source says, “is close to being signed”.

post #41 of 54 Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If the rumors are true, indicators point to Gaikai as the cloud service provider that Sony will acquire:

Quote:

The signs are pointing to an acquisition of Gaikai at the hands of Sony.

Yesterday MCV exclusively revealed that Sony was on the cusp of purchasing a high profile cloud gaming firm, thought to be either Gaikai or OnLive.

Now this morning Gaikai has sent out invitations to journalists for what it is heralding as a game-changing announcement.

“Gaikai has some major announcements in store for E3 that have the potential to change the future of video games, game consoles and how we play,” it reads.

It is unlikely that the deal means Sony is abandoning more traditional models for the PS4, but it does mean that it intends to diversify its offering. Expect disc-based games to soon become simply one option amongst many.

post #42 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Another rumor update; the deal looks like it will have Sony offer 1st party PSOne and PS2 catalog titles over the stream, and third party companies will have the opportunity to add their games as well.

Quote:

First and third-party games to be streamed to hardware

Sony's rumoured cloud gaming deal with Gaikai is to allow current-generation hardware to play PlayStation 2 and PSone games via a streaming solution, GamesIndustry International understands.

According to sources, the service will offer first-party games and be open to third-party publishers to sell back catalogue to players. The partnership is likely to be announced at E3 next week as part of Sony's conference on Monday.

Gaikai already has an extensive portfolio of video game partners that have been on board with CEO David Perry's vision since the service first went live, including Electronic Arts, Ubisoft and Capcom, but all titles so far have been for the PC format.

post #43 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope they do demos for current gen games. Imagine playing Vita demos on your PS3 or PS3 demos on your Vita.

post #44 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
While Sony may still have some sort of deal with Gaikai, it's unlikely they're acquiring the company (apparently Samsung is going to have Gaikai on their smart TVs). Or maybe it's OnLive afterall.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/...-for-sony-deal
post #45 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's not too big of a deal. Companies who acquire other companies usually honor old agreements, especially if they don't interfere with their core business. Samsung can pay Sony to offer PC games on their tech while Sony will offer Playstation stuff on their tech in theory. Besides, Sony may also open up and offer this service to even more non-Sony hardware partners.

post #46 of 54 Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Sony likes games on their network and systems done in a certain way. If they stick to their tendencies this will be an acquisition, not a partnership.

The really interesting thing is that this would make all PS 1,2,3 games available on the PC. I assume it can work this way? Maybe there has to be some software setup first? With all the anaylists saying that Sony would do great getting PS on other platforms, buying Onlive or Gaikai seems a good way to go. I like having my discs but this deal interests me for some reason.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #47 of 54 Old 06-02-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I just can't see Gaikai selling to Sony when earlier in the year, they came to a similar agreement with LG and just a couple of days ago, announced their deal with Samsung.

Onlive does have a deal with Google too though. Kudos to Sony if they are able to buy either company.
post #48 of 54 Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sony-computer-entertainment-to-acquire-gaikai-inc-a-leading-interactive-cloud-gaming-company-2012-07-02

Guess I was wrong. It's official.

EMI, Gaikai... I guess Sony can't be hurting that much.
post #49 of 54 Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Sony likes games on their network and systems done in a certain way. If they stick to their tendencies this will be an acquisition, not a partnership.

The really interesting thing is that this would make all PS 1,2,3 games available on the PC. I assume it can work this way? Maybe there has to be some software setup first? With all the anaylists saying that Sony would do great getting PS on other platforms, buying Onlive or Gaikai seems a good way to go. I like having my discs but this deal interests me for some reason.

I don't understand why they would do that. The whole point of their exclusive games is get people to buy their console, and making them available on PC would mean that people wouldn't have to buy a PS3. To put it another way, if they were okay with Uncharted, LBP, etc. on the PC, why haven't they been releasing them for PC all this time?
post #50 of 54 Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

$380M is not a huge amount of money to a company the size of Sony. MS spent $500M just advertising Kinect (lol).

post #51 of 54 Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If a company stagnates, it is difficult if not impossible to grow or even maintain. No strategy is guaranteed to succeed, but this move is in line with the direction some areas of gaming is going.

post #52 of 54 Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Guess I was wrong. It's official.
EMI, Gaikai... I guess Sony can't be hurting that much.
They're hurting plenty. But they've decided as a company to circle the wagons around a few key areas--gaming being one of them. And as always, you have to spend money to make money.

Remains to be seen what role streaming will play, though. It might be a more efficient and cost-effective way of offering their PS+ content--especially considering that many of us still get insanely slow download speeds from PSN. Much cheaper way to provide demos, a good sell to third-party publishers, and a good way to further monetize and tier their PSN service. It also gives them a leg up on their competition. While MS is chasing media content providers, Sony just acquired one of the big two gaming streaming services. Remains to be seen if MS responds by picking up OnLive.

Regardless, I can't (yet) see a downside to this.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #53 of 54 Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It may even have nothing to do with the PlayStation division, like the Xperia phone. They may see it as an entirely different market.
post #54 of 54 Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

$380M is not a huge amount of money to a company the size of Sony. MS spent $500M just advertising Kinect (lol).

Still bitter.

I don't see why MS needs to respond because Sony announced acquiring the company. MS has the resources to create their own cloud service. If MS did acquire OnLive it will probably be for the patents.

The 5.0 is here
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List