post #2521 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow View Post

Lastly, I know it's going to sound like I'm trolling with this question but I swear I'm not: Do all the cars in the game sound like plastic boats when they bump into one another? You know the "bunk-bomp" sound? I'm hoping it's just limited to the Ford Taurus.

It is more or less the same regardless of the cars involved. So a little 3hatchback from from 1962 will hit with the same sound as a 2010 SUV.

Worth mentioning the impact generates significant bass and the Buttkicker shakes like mad from these impacts!

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Same thing for me. Everyone said that the sound was better with the "Large theatre" option. I usually play games at 30 so I switched to large theatre and the menu sound was almost unearable so I switched it back. Haven't tried racing with those setting but should give it a try. I have KEFs too and onkyo 606.

I'll give you a feedback tomorrow after trying it in a race.

You can adjust the volume for each type of sound separately. For example I turn the music OFF for racing and turn it way down for menus and replays.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #2523 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I love it when this game hits it's graphical stride. There are some times where I'm almost stunned at the level of graphical fidelity they managed to achieve.

Like driving the '66 Shelby on Trial Mountain? That was the first time I was really 'wowed'. Amazing.

Quote:

- If you do not own a car that fits the requirements of a race, finding something appropriate is too laborious. Last night I was trying to play the Lightweight Cup and none of the cars I own fit the bill. So a windows pops up with a lengthy list of all the applicable cars in the game, and I'm thinking "what am I supposed to do with this list? Write it all down? Why can't the game dump my into the new/used car lot with these cars available to pick from? I mean, this is the best they could come up with? I just found it unnecessarily tedious.

I hated this at first, but I love it now. Forces me to always be on the lookout for the cars that I need. I go do some license tests and special events in between to see what the used car dealers have just got in. I've got about 15/20 hrs in and I've just about finshed up through the pro series - I've been able to find all the cars I need over that time.

Quote:

- My absolute favorite feature in NFS Hot Pursuit is the "autolog" (a tracker of your race times vs your friends times, very easily presented to you before and after a race) and how well it's integrated into the game. GT5 doesn’t even have leaderboards, at least as far as I can tell. It feels like a massively overlooked feature, and I still find myself looking around for my PSN buddies scores after a race for comparison.

HUGE disappointment. This should have been so easy to implement - doesn't have to be perfect, but let me see what my friends times are. It's that much more of a reason to continually play the same events.

I do like the log that shows what your friends recently completed (when it works), but if they went as far as adding that, I don't know how they could have overlooked race leaderboards.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #2524 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Ok pleas IGNORE the right hand side of this video and nobody mention the "F" word but here is an jaw dropping example of the AI and its inabaility to "See" or detect you that was mentioned yesterday:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...I-5799904.html

Indeed it seems the "AI" does not know where the driver is.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #2525 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

You can adjust the volume for each type of sound separately. For example I turn the music OFF for racing and turn it way down for menus and replays.

Where is that setting?? I couldn't find it anywhere.. I want to actually increase the music valume, my music is too low

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #2526 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
D_M

Liked: 17
People, the AI is not your competition. If you bought GT5 for the AI, you bought the wrong game. Your competition comes from the people that are posting in the thread. Lets figure out how to create online races, with the current racing regulations.
post #2527 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

It is more or less the same regardless of the cars involved. So a little 3hatchback from from 1962 will hit with the same sound as a 2010 SUV.

I totally disagree with folks who are complaining about the impact sounds. Not only is there enormous variety (I swear each car has its own unique *thud*), but I also believe the sound. And after you unlock damage, I also believe the impact.

But maybe I've just banged up too many cars in my day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Where is that setting?? I couldn't find it anywhere.. I want to actually increase the music valume, my music is too low

Go to options, then hardware, then move to the right where you'll find audio settings.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #2528 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

bah! I only went down heheh..

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #2529 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

It has already been determined that it is not true 1080P, it is 1280X1080P. Odds are folks would have been more than satisfied with 1280X720P and a stable FR and better textures. It is not like anyone was complaining about the graphics in Burnout Paradise. 720P can look pretty amazing.

They did make a 720p mode, but I think it would have been better for them to leave the AA on quincunx and vsync'd it instead of upping it to 4x MSAA. Then, the people that bitch about tearing and some framerate dips can run 720 while those that are more concerned with a clean image can run 1080. As it stands, it looks like 720 mode is worse than 1080 due to the 4x msaa.

The problem with G25/G27 shifting is apparently only there when you are on the throttle. It won't let you shift if the clutch is in and the throttle is pressed down at all, so up-shifting is no problem but downshifting doesn't work unless you are completely off the throttle and there's no ability to blip the throttle. My shifter works fine if I don't use the clutch and don't blip the throttle, but it defeats the purpose. So, until they fix it, I'll just use paddles or just do iracing instead.
post #2530 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

HUGE disappointment. This should have been so easy to implement - doesn't have to be perfect, but let me see what my friends times are. It's that much more of a reason to continually play the same events.

I do like the log that shows what your friends recently completed (when it works), but if they went as far as adding that, I don't know how they could have overlooked race leaderboards.

The leaderboard patch (along with other improvements) is due out in December.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #2531 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you go back a few threads you'll find an Excel spread sheet I started that helps with the process because your totally correct that finding the right car is a PAIN.

oooh I would love to see this, but there are now 85+ pages in this thread and seaching is helping. Could you repost it once more please?
post #2532 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Same thing for me. Everyone said that the sound was better with the "Large theatre" option. I usually play games at 30 so I switched to large theatre and the menu sound was almost unearable so I switched it back. Haven't tried racing with those setting but should give it a try. I have KEFs too and onkyo 606.

I'll give you a feedback tomorrow after trying it in a race.

Yeah, the audio settings are strange. The race sounds (engine, collisions, etc.) sound amazing with "Large Theater" but the background and menu music is barely audible. Switch to "Small Theater" and it gets better but it's still not right. I've been experimenting but haven't found the settings I like yet. I want the race sounds to be amazing but I also want to hear the music underneath the engine. Large Theater doesn't seem to let you do that very easily.
post #2533 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The leaderboard patch (along with other improvements) is due out in December.

Really? Interesting. Makes me think that this wasn't really a finished product, but Sony got on their case about getting it out in time for the holidays. Maybe some of the other minor gripes will be addressed. If not, oh well - this certainly makes up for it.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #2534 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
oooh I would love to see this, but there are now 85+ pages in this thread and seaching is helping. Could you repost it once more please?
OK here it is, keep in mind I'm only up to level 15 so its far from complete. It also have some typos to fix so I might upload another version tonight.

GranTurismo5_RaceRequirements_V1b.xls.zip 9.6572265625k . file

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #2535 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Really? Interesting. Makes me think that this wasn't really a finished product, but Sony got on their case about getting it out in time for the holidays. Maybe some of the other minor gripes will be addressed. If not, oh well - this certainly makes up for it.

Yea, it's clear Sony laid down the hammer but really this game should have come out in a less haphazard state. GT5P had leaderboards...

I really would be curious to see what the game looked like a year ago... or maybe not. But at the same time it makes me interested to see where it goes from here. Conceivably a GT6 on PS3 is not even necessary, they can just keep adding to this one.
post #2536 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM
D_M

Quote:

OK here it is, keep in mind I'm only up to level 15 so its far from complete. It also have some typos to fix so I might upload another version tonight.

Thanks for posting this info. I would like to get a better understanding of power to weight ratios in order to keep online events entertaining. I looked at the Lambo exclusive row of the spread sheet and the grouping doesn't appear to work. I'm trying to figure out what min weight / max horsepower would create the greatest variety of cars for online events and still provide all the cars with a fighting chance.
post #2537 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are many signs that this actually isn't a finished product (premium v. standard cars, screen tearing, funked up online features, etc). The good news is that it's clear they're still working on it. I think their goal was to get it in a state where they could fix whatever needed fixing post-release. So there are a lot of "place-holders" at the moment--especially for the online features. Regardless, I'll take an "awesome work in progress" over a "decent finished product" in a heartbeat.

post #2538 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

There are many signs that this actually isn't a finished product (premium v. standard cars, screen tearing, funked up online features, etc). The good news is that it's clear they're still working on it. I think their goal was to get it in a state where they could fix whatever needed fixing post-release. So there are a lot of "place-holders" at the moment--especially for the online features. Regardless, I'll take an "awesome work in progress" over a "decent finished product" in a heartbeat.

Couldn't agree more. I've never put 20 hours into a racing game in less than 3 days. Controller was glued to my hands all weekend. Love it.

'Place-holders' are fine by me. The fact that they are adding online leaderboards within a month of release is a promising sign.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #2539 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Anyone has a mini review of the online portion of the game? I quickly went thru the posts dated after the game released and did not find much info about the online mode. I have owned multiple GT games so I know what to expect offline but is online a cursing exercise?

How does the game system manage typical frustrations when playing online games (i.e bumper cars racing) ? Are they penalized?
post #2540 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

Thanks for posting this info. I would like to get a better understanding of power to weight ratios in order to keep online events entertaining. I looked at the Lambo exclusive row of the spread sheet and the grouping doesn't appear to work. I'm trying to figure out what min weight / max horsepower would create the greatest variety of cars for online events and still provide all the cars with a fighting chance.

My goal is similar - I just want to pick (and tune) cars so when I enter the A-Spec races its entertaining. While that's tough with the stupid AI it sure beats guessing only to find out your way over or underpowered. Once again if they had qualifying this wouldn't be such an issue as you could tune your car to run similar times as the AI drivers. This is what made GT1 so great, the entry list of other cars was fixed (for the most part) and you had qualifying to make any final adjustments to your HP.

As for the Lambo's (and others I bet) I doubt there enough varieties to create 16 unique yet equally matched versions of them, so clearly one car is going to dominate this particular race.

For online events the system I created years ago called "EZGT" for doing GT1 & GT2 time trials would work, but it requires a good amount of prep (tuning) time beforehand and VERY honest people. It was basically a self-handicapping system that was originally developed to make as many car as possible equal. However during the testing my brother and I found that driver themselves was the largest variable thus we had to let people adjust the ratios to their personal skill level. If you want more info email me.

post #2541 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. I've never put 20 hours into a racing game in less than 3 days. Controller was glued to my hands all weekend. Love it.

'Place-holders' are fine by me. The fact that they are adding online leaderboards within a month of release is a promising sign.

I'm actually pretty disappointed - I mean, in 2010, shipping a racing game without online leaderboards is crazy, especially a sim game where tons of people are going to focus on beating each other's times. GT5 is a much better SP game than Forza 3 IMO, but F3's leaderboard setup was really good and kept me playing much longer than I would have otherwise (I just wish they gave out XP for it).

I just hope that the leaderboards are set up well, and are detailed. We will see.
post #2542 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
D_M

Quote:

My goal is similar - I just want to pick (and tune) cars so when I enter the A-Spec races its entertaining.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that -10 for weight and + 10 for hosrepower based on GT5 race ready cars might be a good start. Using the Lamborghini example, I would bracket the cars with a min KGS of 970 and Max HP 641.
post #2543 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Conceivably a GT6 on PS3 is not even necessary, they can just keep adding to this one.

Personally I'd like to see them give it to a American Dev next time around.

American's and a love of cars is like bread and butter. I think a good studio might also be better equipped to hammer out what needs to be done, rather then wasting time and money on their open ended "vision". Especially since PD's problem as far as they're concerned is how to make higher quality car assets. Everything else works, but is lacking or has small issues.

GT5 is good and great fun; but 6 years is a long time and there's tons of small issues that should never be in a game that has been in development for 6 freaking years. The more I play, the more I am starting to agree with IGN's review.
post #2544 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

for the guy that ask about the licence question to get gold.

cars are selected for you in licence mode. you have to drive with the car given to you. sometimes all is locked like in a really car. so there aitn much to chose from.

however whenever ic an driving normal cars. i use traction =2 and abs = 1.

i also tried this now on joypad and works fine as well. the only main difference with my G27 is that i can add the brake and gas more sensitive. to do this on a button is very hard. also with drifting on G27 is much more easy then on a joypad.

to be honest it would be more fair that they have different times for joypad users and wheel owners. the differenc ein my opinion is to much.
post #2545 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post
And I want to sprout wings and fly to the moon, neither is going to happen. Just play Forza if you really want an "American made GT."
post #2546 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
D_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post
for the guy that ask about the licence question to get gold.

cars are selected for you in licence mode. you have to drive with the car given to you. sometimes all is locked like in a really car. so there aitn much to chose from.

however whenever ic an driving normal cars. i use traction =2 and abs = 1.

i also tried this now on joypad and works fine as well. the only main difference with my G27 is that i can add the brake and gas more sensitive. to do this on a button is very hard. also with drifting on G27 is much more easy then on a joypad.

to be honest it would be more fair that they have different times for joypad users and wheel owners. the differenc ein my opinion is to much.

Thanks for the follow up. I saw what I wanted to see. You were talking about the license test and I was thinking about the beginner events.
post #2547 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
GT5 is good and great fun; but 6 years is a long time and there's tons of small issues that should never be in a game that has been in development for 6 freaking years. The more I play, the more I am starting to agree with IGN's review.
PD has always made GT single-minded and tightly focused, its not going to change because the game sells billions of copies despite the omissions and mistakes. I'm the biggest GT fan out there, but even I couldn't take PD's crap anymore and thus never bought GT4. GT3 in particular was just awful, while GT2 had so many bugs it was re-released twice to fix all the issues and still had missing parts (drag racing anyone?). Prologue just looked so good I couldn't resist anymore and got it. However it wasn't a full GT game so like everyone else I waited (and waited) for GT5.

Personally I'm loving GT5 despite the somewhat glaring issues. Time will tell if grinding thru the races over & over to earn credits and experience points will still be fun months from now. I loved GT1 so much I deleted my save and redid the entire game start to finish several times using different strategies & setting different goals for myself like: finish first in every race, make the most credits, use the least number of cars, use the most under-powered car possible, beat the game in the least number of days and so on.

It seems GT5 was made to be played over & over, as clearly you'll have to do almost every A-spec race twice to earn enough credits to buy even half of the available cars. So the joy of the game comes from finding new cars to enter those old races, cars you overlooked or never bothered with before. This is why there are so many small "K" lightweight cars for example. PD is challenging you to win the K-Cup with each and every one of them just for the thrill.

post #2548 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't trust Americans to design a quality racing game any more than I'd trust them to design a quality car.

post #2549 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Deleted
post #2550 of 3784 Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
You can buy a car used (standard set) or new (premium set). There's an icon for each of those two dealerships on your GT home page. Also, quite a few cars are won by simply winning events. You don't even have to complete some of them in order.

For A-Spec I still have un-raced events from the first two series because I haven't bought a car yet for them even though I've done some in the third. I'm sitting on 200K in cash by completing as much as I can with the free cars I win as well as license trials and SE races. I now have about twelve cars or so. I'll go back and cleanup the leftovers later.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page