Rock Band 2 A/V PS3 (using HDMI and surround receiver), driving me nuts! - AVS Forum
PlayStation Area > Rock Band 2 A/V PS3 (using HDMI and surround receiver), driving me nuts!
PublicSectorTech's Avatar PublicSectorTech 11:35 AM 05-13-2009
I'm not sure where to put this thread but I will start with the Playstation area since I'm having problems with the PS3. Recently I got a new surround receiver (Onkyo TX-SR507) and so I moved the PS3 from component to HDMI. The PS3 goes through the surround receiver and from there, the video goes to the TV and the audio goes out to the speakers (obviously). I have the "Dolby Digital" option checked on Rock Band 2.

Now here's the problem-audio and video are waaay out of sync. Rock Band 2 has an internal program that's supposed to fix it, but it doesn't come close. I'm trying to do it manually but I'm not having much luck. Is anyone having this same issue using the PS3 with a surround receiver? BTW, my TV is a Sony XS955 analog CRT HDTV, and I'm using its HDMI input for video. Let me know if you were able to fix this annoying problem.

TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 12:05 PM 05-13-2009
common problem that's been discussed here many, many times. Turn off Dolby Digital.
mystik610's Avatar mystik610 12:48 PM 05-13-2009
Also try adjusting the audio/video sync on your Onkyo receiver. I think its under the hardware menu, but I'm not sure (at work right now and dont have access to my 606).
odd-props's Avatar odd-props 04:30 PM 05-13-2009
additional processing causes lag.

analog out has the least amount of lag.
PublicSectorTech's Avatar PublicSectorTech 09:07 AM 05-15-2009
Damn, that means my AV setup is gonna be more complicated. Do you know if there's a way to trick the PS3 into outputting component and HDMI at the same time. I'd hate to have to rejigger stuff every time I wanted to watch a movie.
TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 09:29 AM 05-15-2009
There is not a way to do that. Simply uncheck the Dolby Digital setting in Rock Band. That'll get you 95% of the way there, and will not cause you to need to make any cabling changes.
bdwright77's Avatar bdwright77 10:36 AM 05-15-2009
Don't you lose some of the vocals / volume levels when unchecking DD on a 5.1+ system? I remember not getting anything out of my center channel when this was done.
TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 10:38 AM 05-15-2009
Nope. The only bit change is that the crowd won't be as distinct in the rear channels. Won't make any difference in the actual gameplay though, other than the lag, especially in the vocals, will be gone.
PublicSectorTech's Avatar PublicSectorTech 11:11 AM 05-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Nope. The only bit change is that the crowd won't be as distinct in the rear channels. Won't make any difference in the actual gameplay though, other than the lag, especially in the vocals, will be gone.

That's good enough for me, I'll give it a try!

I wonder why they even included that option if it was going to cause such problems!
kikgon's Avatar kikgon 04:54 PM 09-08-2009
Does the audio quality suffer if you take off the Dolby?
TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 01:22 PM 09-09-2009
Nope, just what he said right above your post.
funsocaltiger's Avatar funsocaltiger 07:56 PM 09-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicSectorTech View Post

Damn, that means my AV setup is gonna be more complicated. Do you know if there's a way to trick the PS3 into outputting component and HDMI at the same time. I'd hate to have to rejigger stuff every time I wanted to watch a movie.

This is a super old post but I believe this is possible now with firmware 3.0.
treepop's Avatar treepop 12:29 PM 10-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger View Post

This is a super old post but I believe this is possible now with firmware 3.0.

I am considering getting an Denon avr-590 over my Denon avr-1709, due to the ability to have audio over HDMI.

Would audio over HDMI correct this problem? vs Audio over optical? or does the problem stem from something else?

Thanks
TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 02:46 PM 10-23-2009
The lag issue is still going to occur. It doesn't matter about the connection, etc. The solution is simply turn off Dolby Digital within the game. It does NOT affect any other game, movie, etc.
treepop's Avatar treepop 04:06 PM 10-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

The lag issue is still going to occur. It doesn't matter about the connection, etc. The solution is simply turn off Dolby Digital within the game. It does NOT affect any other game, movie, etc.

thats so weird

is this only on Denon's or on all receivers....if so....WHY OFFER IT!?

I like the audience around me I FEEL LIKE A STAR!!!!!!!!!!, but seriously I do like it
dogdoctor's Avatar dogdoctor 05:44 PM 10-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop View Post

thats so weird

is this only on Denon's or on all receivers....if so....WHY OFFER IT!?

I like the audience around me I FEEL LIKE A STAR!!!!!!!!!!, but seriously I do like it

It affects all AVRs not just Denon. But you need to learn how to manipulate the sound in the AVR to your liking. Turn off the DD and send stereo. Then on the AVR select either 5 channel stereo/dolby prologic and the AVR will redirect the sound to the surrounds as well. You won't get nearly the same clarity with the extrapolated dolby prologic as you would from a discrete DD 5.1 signal, but hey it's it better than nothing without the lag. If you send 5 channel stereo you will hear the exact same sound out of all the speakers, rather than with dolby prologic trying to calculate what should be coming out where.

Now don't let that stop you from going up to the new line of receivers. Audio over HDMI is just plain nice, no matter how you slice it. Have the new AVR and a new Slim just opens more doors of possibilities.
tingham's Avatar tingham 06:37 PM 10-23-2009
I don't have any lag when playing in DD mode. I wonder why some people have this problem? Maybe it's a LCD issue? I play on a plasma, and I usually don't play in the DD mode. In my setup, 2 channel actually sounds better using the Dolby PLIIx or DTS Neo6 surround modes on my Denon.
Up
Mobile  Desktop