AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla View Post

Guys,
I am having a issue.. A while ago I tried playon as it was a free trial.. It really didn't work because of my computer spec plus my router so I deleted the Playon and Media server tab on my Ps3 "main page" I thought the media server tab was part of playon... Since then I have gotten a new computer and a Wireless N+ router.. I downloaded Playon again and Tversity but now my Ps3 won't pick anything up.. Can I get the media server tab back or am I screwed?? Any help will be greatly appreciate

Did you search for new servers from the PS3 menu? If that doesn't work you have to enable media sharing on your new computer. Don't remember how I did it but it was pretty easy.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 159 Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

hey guys, i'm having some issues with this router.(dlink dir 655) i first want to say that i experience NO problems when connecting wired. the problem is with my ps3. i try to stream movies from my computer to the ps3 wirelessly, and terrible performance. i have disabled firewalls, nobody else is feeding off of my network because i have it secured through wpa2 only.(it also helps that i live outside of a very small town with an even smaller population lol)there isn't much going on out here to say the least. however, i can't really get it to do much of anything through wireless. i had it set to the mixed networks of b,g, and n. i switched it to G only because that's all my old dgl 4300 had that crapped out on me.(i did not have these problems with the dgl 4300, but i figured that i should go ahead and upgrade considering the other person that lives with me is soon going to buy a wireless N adapter for their 360.) i can't understand what the problem is. i have tried to enable wish, and i get same results with that, on or off. i'm not a complete noob with routers or broadband in general, but i'm no pro either. as i said, i do have the option to go wired, and it works just fine while streaming, gaming etc, but the convience of wireless is great. i already have enough cables running all through the room/house...any help would be greatly appreciated

i wanted to believe the problem was that most of my content was hd content. i posted on the dlink forums with the same issue, and a guy claimed he had his ps3 one-hundred feet from his dlink dir 655 with no issues streaming HD content.

Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core i7 920@2.67ghz, 1.5TB HDDx2, 8GB DDR3@1066mhz, Nvidia Geforce GT220
post #63 of 159 Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone using PS3 Media Server on Windows? I switched from TVersity to this java based program and so far it has been working great. It actually played an HD MKV file that TVersity wouldn't and the sound was not garbled.

Before installing PS3MS I installed Shark007's Windows 7 codec pack(which works flawlessly).

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #64 of 159 Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post

hey guys, i'm having some issues with this router.(dlink dir 655) i first want to say that i experience NO problems when connecting wired. the problem is with my ps3. i try to stream movies from my computer to the ps3 wirelessly, and terrible performance. i have disabled firewalls, nobody else is feeding off of my network because i have it secured through wpa2 only.(it also helps that i live outside of a very small town with an even smaller population lol)there isn't much going on out here to say the least. however, i can't really get it to do much of anything through wireless. i had it set to the mixed networks of b,g, and n. i switched it to G only because that's all my old dgl 4300 had that crapped out on me.(i did not have these problems with the dgl 4300, but i figured that i should go ahead and upgrade considering the other person that lives with me is soon going to buy a wireless N adapter for their 360.) i can't understand what the problem is. i have tried to enable wish, and i get same results with that, on or off. i'm not a complete noob with routers or broadband in general, but i'm no pro either. as i said, i do have the option to go wired, and it works just fine while streaming, gaming etc, but the convience of wireless is great. i already have enough cables running all through the room/house...any help would be greatly appreciated

i wanted to believe the problem was that most of my content was hd content. i posted on the dlink forums with the same issue, and a guy claimed he had his ps3 one-hundred feet from his dlink dir 655 with no issues streaming HD content.

The problem could be the distance between the two. I, too, bought an "n" router recently (dual band, in fact) with the hope of a better streaming of HD content to my PS3. It turns out the streaming was actually worse than my old "g" router. I soon learned that "n" is great for covering broad areas but lousy at distances while "g", conversely, does better with distances.

I am now using powerline adapters to get HD content from my pc to my ps3 (via PS3mediaserver) and it is FLAWLESS. Just watched 'Year One' in 1080p with only a couple of hiccups (probably because my router was busy with downloads). This, for now, is the ideal set up for me..until something new and better comes along.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
post #65 of 159 Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorwest View Post

The problem could be the distance between the two. I, too, bought an "n" router recently (dual band, in fact) with the hope of a better streaming of HD content to my PS3. It turns out the streaming was actually worse than my old "g" router. I soon learned that "n" is great for covering broad areas but lousy at distances while "g", conversely, does better with distances.

I am now using powerline adapters to get HD content from my pc to my ps3 (via PS3mediaserver) and it is FLAWLESS. Just watched 'Year One' in 1080p with only a couple of hiccups (probably because my router was busy with downloads). This, for now, is the ideal set up for me..until something new and better comes along.

Do you realize the ps3 is only wireless G? There is no way you tested the ps3 with wireless N.
post #66 of 159 Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

How can I create playlists compatible with tversity so when I stream mp3's from my PC I can just point to the playlist?

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
post #67 of 159 Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was thinking on getting a PS3(probably the $299/120GB one unless told otherwise) but was wondering:

1. Is Sony releasing any of the "newer" batches of PS3's with all the new firmware already installed, especially for Netflix streaming? I already have a ROKU player, but if I can get a PS3 with the Netflix already installed(I really hate the hassle of trying to get the CD and loading it), that would be great. Are they realeasing any newer machines, and if they are out, what do Ilook for on the packaging. Will it actually say, "Netflix already installed!"

2. Also, where can i find list of widgets that the PS3 can connect too? I will look in this thread, but if they are posted somewhere else, let me know.

And if you think the $349/250GB PS3 is a better system/setup, please let me know.

Like I said, I already have a ROKU, plus I have a Panny BD80 for blu-rays(and it has, and I am using, the 5.1 analog audio ouputs for DolbyTRUEHD/DTS Master Audio/etc...), so the PS3 will be used for gaming only, for the most part.
post #68 of 159 Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've been using MediaTomb on Linux as a server for DirecTV satellite receivers for a couple of years. I just bought a PS3, and when I brought it up the first time, there were all the files from my Linux system. I played a couple of videos. I was a little surprised that I didn't have to do any special set up to get the PS3 to be a working client. (But I haven't yet tested trickplay functions -- fast forward, and so on.)

Greg Lee
post #69 of 159 Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM

STEELERSRULE,

I purchased a new PS3 (250gig) version from Walmart 2 weeks ago. After setting it up, there were new firmware updates at Sony. I connected the PS3 through my Linksys wireless router. Included in the PS3 box was a Netflix disc that must be in the drive while streaming. It works flawlessly! Very happy camper here .

i have heard Sony will update the firmware so the disc won't be needed sometime in the future. Using it is not a big deal.

Our PS3 is not used for Blue Ray, CD audio, Netflix, and gaming. So far no issues.

Paul
post #70 of 159 Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

Do you realize the ps3 is only wireless G? There is no way you tested the ps3 with wireless N.

Unless the PS3 is wired into the network, and the media was being accessed wirelessly from a laptop.
post #71 of 159 Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
does any one have simple tutorial, how to use multiavchd for ps3
post #72 of 159 Old 03-07-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can anyone help me to get netflix/hulu to send 5.1 to the ps3? I have PlayOn and the netflix disc, neither of them play 5.1 only 2 channel and its pretty quiet. Help?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #73 of 159 Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 AM

I wanted to be able to start storing my media on an external harddrive, because it's starting to get bulky. And before I go out and buy a 2T HD, I wanted to try it out first. I have an older 200GB external that I put a folder of video on (it's connected via USB).

I pointed Playstation Media Center to the folder, and updated everything. Nothing.
I pointed TVersity to the folder, and it saw it with no problem.

TVersity sucks at playback (for me for some reason), and it's not really an option - but why did it see the folder and not PMS?
post #74 of 159 Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

When you guys do streaming what do you guys average for Mbps. My pc is wired and my ps3 is wireless and I normally get 7.6-8 Mbps and I get a lot a freezing when I ff x10 or more.

FYI: You can see Mbps while you're streaming in the top right hand corner when you hit select.

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #75 of 159 Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Going off memory, so not much details, I'd have to go try it, but my daughter is watching Mythbusters now,,, I have PS3 and PMS off an older CPU (Opteron 185, dual core), 100M wired with Dlink DI-524. I think I see about 1 to 2Meg with a standard AVI with 5.1 sound, but with high def it is much higher, I think 12M is a common average,,, If it starts stutting it reports much higher (in error). My playback is laggy too on 10x ff, I think it is related to PMS and the speed of my server. My computer is just barely strong enough to convert (x.264) 1080P on the fly and stream them out to the PS3, some 1080P vids won't even play (1 in about 10 vids) w/o stuttering with this older computer (about 5+ years old). With a newer PC, I think it would be perfect at regular speed playback, not sure if 10x FF would ever be real smooth,,,? Good news is it's rock solid on anything below 1080P,,,
post #76 of 159 Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

I just installed a 640GB HDD in my PS3, I would like to copy some files that I have on my laptop to my PS3, is this a possiblity with a program like TVersity?
post #77 of 159 Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Can anyone help me to get netflix/hulu to send 5.1 to the ps3? I have PlayOn and the netflix disc, neither of them play 5.1 only 2 channel and its pretty quiet. Help?

I believe their streaming only is 2.0 audio.
post #78 of 159 Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Has anyone had any luck streaming hi-def M2TS files with external subtitles to play on the PS3 using PS3 Media Server? If so, what format do the subtitle files need to be in for the PS3 to read them successfully? I can get the PS3 to see that my files have external subs by placing the subtitle file in the same folder as the M2TS file and giving it the same name, but I get either a Corrupted Data error or a blank screen. My M2TS files play just fine if I don't have the subtitles in the folder.
post #79 of 159 Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 AM

Is there a fix to audio dropouts on PMS? I get consistent drops after a few minutes of playback.

My rips are MKV and test fine in WMP. My PS3 is wired to my router and my PC is connected wirelessy (Vista Core 2 Quad, 4 GB)

I've tried various audio settings but no change.

TIA

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
post #80 of 159 Old 06-13-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 View Post

Is there a fix to audio dropouts on PMS? I get consistent drops after a few minutes of playback.

My rips are MKV and test fine in WMP. My PS3 is wired to my router and my PC is connected wirelessy (Vista Core 2 Quad, 4 GB)

I've tried various audio settings but no change.

TIA

Odd, what do you have your Transcode buffer set at?
post #81 of 159 Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson View Post

Odd, what do you have your Transcode buffer set at?

It is set to 400.0, which I assume must be a default because I have not touched that setting.

I also switched Video Quality Settings to "keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2"

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
post #82 of 159 Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Hi guys, I've been wanting to access my movie library on the PS3 for awhile now and could use some help. The majority of my files are .mkv so that is the main interest but a few are .iso as well.

My movies are stored on a Thecus N7700. I have the drive mapped to my Windows 7 PC of course.

It appears the best option out there right now is PS3 Media Server? Will it be possible to use PS3 Media Server to stream my Windows 7 network share (Thecus N7700) to the PS3? Or what would be the best option for this if not? Thanks so much!
post #83 of 159 Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 PM

To answer my question, yes you can very easily. Though the PS3 Media Server seems to have some issues with large libraries and buffer not filling up despite fast computer and wired connections all around
post #84 of 159 Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM

PS3 media server all of a sudden cannot find my PS3. I get the giant red X. It was working perfectly and after restarting my computer the next day it is not able to find the PS3. I performed google searches and tried various things but it still does not work.

I did not change anything from the time it worked to the time it stopped working. Router has pnp enabled and i forced the IP of my computer and forced the port on the general config tab. My PS3 is able to find the vuze server and I can stream files with it but I prefer to use PS3 media server. I have not been able to find a clear solution to this problem but it seems to be a common problem with no definitive solution from what I have found. Please help!

Update: I finally found a solution. The Java process was not shutting down after quitting ps3ms so I had to go into the processes and stop the java.exe process. After restarting the ps3ms it found the ps3. It recommeded updating my Java software to the latest version to eliminate this problem which ended up being update 21. I had Java update 20 installed previously. So far no new issues of the ps3ms not finding the ps3.

DB
post #85 of 159 Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

I am still working on getting M2TS files to work properly. I renames each individual file to M2T and the PS3 now reads it (over PS3MS). Only problem is, somehow combining the files or allowing them play continually and not a few seconds or minutes at a time.
post #86 of 159 Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckoInLasVegas View Post

I am still working on getting M2TS files to work properly. I renames each individual file to M2T and the PS3 now reads it (over PS3MS). Only problem is, somehow combining the files or allowing them play continually and not a few seconds or minutes at a time.

Why would you do this? PS3MS can easily stream very large, single M2TS files to the PS3. I have streamed 40+GB files with no problem over ethernet.
post #87 of 159 Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post

Why would you do this? PS3MS can easily stream very large, single M2TS files to the PS3. I have streamed 40+GB files with no problem over ethernet.

Yes! It can, might hiccup on wireless
post #88 of 159 Old 08-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

PS3 media server all of a sudden cannot find my PS3. I get the giant red X. It was working perfectly and after restarting my computer the next day it is not able to find the PS3. I performed google searches and tried various things but it still does not work.

I did not change anything from the time it worked to the time it stopped working. Router has pnp enabled and i forced the IP of my computer and forced the port on the general config tab. My PS3 is able to find the vuze server and I can stream files with it but I prefer to use PS3 media server. I have not been able to find a clear solution to this problem but it seems to be a common problem with no definitive solution from what I have found. Please help!

Update: I finally found a solution. The Java process was not shutting down after quitting ps3ms so I had to go into the processes and stop the java.exe process. After restarting the ps3ms it found the ps3. It recommeded updating my Java software to the latest version to eliminate this problem which ended up being update 21. I had Java update 20 installed previously. So far no new issues of the ps3ms not finding the ps3.

I'm having this exact same problem now and I installed java update but it still doesn't detect ps3,worked fine up until a few days ago.

EDIT pms also used to show up as a server on my 360 and my Onkyo receiver but not anymore.
post #89 of 159 Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM

I have been Tversity for a year to stream to my wired ps3, but got tired of search not working. Searching on the web seemed to indicate that PS3 Media Server is a more popular solution even though it hasn't had much development over the last year.

Do most people agree that PS3 MS is the best streamer these days? And are people using the year old stable release or the current beta?
post #90 of 159 Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi everyone,
I am using WMP to watch music videos I'm downloading from You Tube. I use a free you tube video downloader software and the problem is that I download all videos exactly the same but only some of them will stream through the PS3. I am able to see the video's but when trying to play them I get "not supported" error message. It's really strange and I can't figure out if it is the you tube downloader, WMP or the PS3 that's the problem. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page