Definitive PS3 Streaming Guide - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 159 Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using PMS for quite some time with excellent results. 1080p streams perfectly over wired connect...although it did stutter a bit with wireless connection. Great piece of software.

However for the last month or so, I have run across several of the newer mkv's that will not play any audio. The audio is fine on WMP or VLC but will not stream thru PMS. Topic is addressed at http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=6&t=7203 but no definitive solution. Can anyone help with this.

Affected titles include Losers, Repo Men, Salt

If you remux with MKVToolnix v3.4.0 it works ok, but that's a pain to remux every movie

Edit: Does not work with Losers. "Cinavia" audio protection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 159 Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated the mplayer (mplayer folder) under the PS3 Media Server installation with a new mplayer download and it fixed my issues. I am pretty sure it is discussed somewhere in the thread you posted.
post #93 of 159 Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Has anyone else noticed since the last PS3 firmware update when you turn on your PS3 it no longer recognizes your PC as a PS3 Media Server? And you need to do a media server check to find it.
post #94 of 159 Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Mine works perfectly. This is a feature I use all the time, so it would be a real problem for me if this were the case. I used it last time on the 16th (2 days ago). Mine shows a media server both for native Windows 7, and my PlayOn installation.
post #95 of 159 Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi Folks I jut updated my PS3 to a new version of firmware and now unless I turn off the firewall my PS3 or my streaming software PS3 Media Server don't connect. I have read about these issues elsewhere but haven't found a concrete solution any suggestions?
post #96 of 159 Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

Hi Folks I jut updated my PS3 to a new version of firmware and now unless I turn off the firewall my PS3 or my streaming software PS3 Media Server don't connect. I have read about these issues elsewhere but haven't found a concrete solution any suggestions?

Sounds like your firewall may have had its rules changed. Try passing the ports through.
post #97 of 159 Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is anyone familiar with how to do this? I have a 3D DLP TV, PS3, 3d graphics card, but still can't quite figure how to do it. I'm not even sure the ps3 can do it until the new update, but I can connect ps3 media server thru my Directv box.
post #98 of 159 Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

...but I can connect ps3 media server thru my Directv box.

Can you rephrase this sentence please? Are you saying that you can play PS3mediaserver content directly to your Directv box?
post #99 of 159 Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
You won't be able to play 3d content on your 3D DLP unless you have the Mits converter box to convert the 3d format from your PS3 into checkerboard (which your TV uses for 3d). You can read all about it on the 3D Techtalk threads. Your PS3 won't output checkerboard. You can play 3d content directly from your PC with Stereoscopic player however.
post #100 of 159 Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am a lot of respect for you PS3 tech buffs. I have spent probably 10 hours trying to find the most forward and reliable method of streaming photo and videos to my PS3. I basically want to dump all my pics and video from multiple PCs on a hard drive...and than stream that data to the PS3. I bought the PS3 b/c it is supposed to be a "Media Center".

There are some nifty options out there like the 4 day new WD TV Live Hub....which has a built in 1tb Hard Drive. I was thinking my other option is to get the NetGear dual band USB router, and connect a portable USB hard drive with my data.

I would really appreciate some help on making this dream come true....in allowing my PS3 to be a media center and connect to all my saved data (pics, music and video). Thanks!
post #101 of 159 Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I am a lot of respect for you PS3 tech buffs. I have spent probably 10 hours trying to find the most forward and reliable method of streaming photo and videos to my PS3. I basically want to dump all my pics and video from multiple PCs on a hard drive...and than stream that data to the PS3. I bought the PS3 b/c it is supposed to be a "Media Center".

There are some nifty options out there like the 4 day new WD TV Live Hub....which has a built in 1tb Hard Drive. I was thinking my other option is to get the NetGear dual band USB router, and connect a portable USB hard drive with my data.

I would really appreciate some help on making this dream come true....in allowing my PS3 to be a media center and connect to all my saved data (pics, music and video). Thanks!

The PS3 media server can do all these things. It's a pretty straight forward set up. Install the app and then select the media folders that you want shared. PM me if you need some help.
post #102 of 159 Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post

Has anyone had any luck streaming hi-def M2TS files with external subtitles to play on the PS3 using PS3 Media Server? If so, what format do the subtitle files need to be in for the PS3 to read them successfully? I can get the PS3 to see that my files have external subs by placing the subtitle file in the same folder as the M2TS file and giving it the same name, but I get either a Corrupted Data error or a blank screen. My M2TS files play just fine if I don't have the subtitles in the folder.

I've spent hours figuring out how to do this. I had the Bourne Trilogy on bluray discs and I wanted to create digital copies of these movies for streaming with my PS3 (via ps3 media server). A couple of the Bourne movies have a few foreign language parts with subtitles. I ended up doing what you said in your post (putting the subtitle file in the same folder as the M2TS file). What I found was that I needed AviSynth installed. It's been awhile since I did this, so I'm forgetting the details right now, but there was an AviSynth codec file or something that I copied. Then I could use the #Transcode# folder to use one of the other options that would pick up the external subtitle file with the movie file. Feel free to ask, if you are still trying to do this, I know it's been several months since you posted. I worked for hours and hours to get this worked out though, and it was worth it.
post #103 of 159 Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutzy View Post

I've spent hours figuring out how to do this. I had the Bourne Trilogy on bluray discs and I wanted to create digital copies of these movies for streaming with my PS3 (via ps3 media server). A couple of the Bourne movies have a few foreign language parts with subtitles. I ended up doing what you said in your post (putting the subtitle file in the same folder as the M2TS file). What I found was that I needed AviSynth installed. It's been awhile since I did this, so I'm forgetting the details right now, but there was an AviSynth codec file or something that I copied. Then I could use the #Transcode# folder to use one of the other options that would pick up the external subtitle file with the movie file. Feel free to ask, if you are still trying to do this, I know it's been several months since you posted. I worked for hours and hours to get this worked out though, and it was worth it.

OK, I'm asking . . . what file(s) did you have to copy and to where to get the subtitles to work?
post #104 of 159 Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, I'm asking . . . what file(s) did you have to copy and to where to get the subtitles to work?

Typically if you drop the .srt file into the same folder that has the movie in it, the subtitles will be picked up at their respective times.
post #105 of 159 Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 AM

Hey guys, wanted to say thanks for the recommendations in the thread for DVDFab software, I'm on version 8.0.5.6. It works great, I like how it automatically selects the righ title for recording. Just converted first movie (shrek forever after) to MP4 using the default DVD ripper to PS3 format.. Took about 4 hrs, I am wondering if its cuz I am using a Netbook to do it??? if I get a more powerful computer will it rip faster? was doing about 10FPS on conversion... I had DVD clone already as well as some other apps but DVDFab seems to really be an all on one solution...

As for captions they copied fine. enable the "SUBPICTURE". you will not be able to turn them on and off so they will always be on the video. Fine for me as I am Deaf. Will be copying all the kiddos disney movies over to save on the PS3 so they don't destroy the disks....

Is there a way I can stream from one PS3 to another, I have 2 of them. one upstairs and one in basement???

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #106 of 159 Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any way to get proper 24p playback when streaming? From what I understand, the PS3 will only do 24p when playing blu-ray from a disc. Has there been a workaround for this yet when streaming with the PS3 media server?
post #107 of 159 Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 AM

I use our new PS3 through wireless. I have major stuttering issues to stream video. I have tried thru PS3mediaserver and just connecting to our network media drive. Is a wired connection necessary?

Have others connected an external HD to the PS3 and ripped all their DVDs as a library? (similar to this wiki: http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-Extern...-PlayStation-3

also, is there a solution to stream web content? e.g. Hulu or Xfinity/Fancast?

thx

Jim
post #108 of 159 Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post
I use our new PS3 through wireless. I have major stuttering issues to stream video. I have tried thru PS3mediaserver and just connecting to our network media drive. Is a wired connection necessary?

Have others connected an external HD to the PS3 and ripped all their DVDs as a library? (similar to this wiki: http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-Extern...-PlayStation-3

also, is there a solution to stream web content? e.g. Hulu or Xfinity/Fancast?

thx
I stream from netflix over wireless to a Phat and a Slim PS3 with no issues and I have a slow (1.5mbbs)DSL connection. so if it streams from the net then streaming wireless via a home server should not have an issue either.

DJ
post #109 of 159 Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
There is a big difference between streaming Netflix and streaming a DVD or BD from a media server in your home. Netflix has a very low bitrate, and therefore works fine over wifi. Streaming a DVD or BD will require far more bandwidth, and you may or may not have success. Using PS3 Media Server, I actually can get it to work most of the time, but without transcoding I cannot.

In regards to an external drive, the 4GB file limit is too restrictive for an external drive to be of any use.

To watch Hulu, use PlayOn, or subscribe to Hulu+ and use the built-in application on the XMB.
post #110 of 159 Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 AM

I figured I'd share my experience with streaming.

I first installed PS3 media server and tried to stream over wireless. I have a fairly good distance between my PS3 and my router.

I noticed that it took quite some time for the video to buffer (probably a good 30 seconds or so). Then the stuttering started, badly. And it didn't matter if I was streaming AVI, MP4, VOB files. Stuttering was pretty bad.

I then installed TVersity and tried it. I did not have the buffering delays at all with TVersity. And the stuttering problem wasn't nearly as bad. It still was there though.

So, one thing I did was move my router and modem to near my PS3 and hardwired the connection to the PS3. I still had my PC connected wirelessly. I rearranged where my USB wireless adapter was to obtain optimal signal strength.

Still using TVersity, I've had really hardly any stuttering problems on xvid AVI files, VOB files and some MP4 files. Other types of AVI and some MP4 files still stutter. But I at least have something that is working. I'm considering running a hardwire line to the PC via my attic just to see if I can clear up the remaining stuttering issues.

I tried PS3 media server again with my new arrangement and still experienced the lengthy buffer delays. Due to this, I've decided to stick with TVersity. My only beef with TVersity is my inability to utilize DTS audio tracks.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #111 of 159 Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmessin View Post

I first installed PS3 media server and tried to stream over wireless. I have a fairly good distance between my PS3 and my router.

I noticed that it took quite some time for the video to buffer (probably a good 30 seconds or so). Then the stuttering started, badly. And it didn't matter if I was streaming AVI, MP4, VOB files. Stuttering was pretty bad.

I then installed TVersity and tried it. I did not have the buffering delays at all with TVersity. And the stuttering problem wasn't nearly as bad. It still was there though.

So, one thing I did was move my router and modem to near my PS3 and hardwired the connection to the PS3. I still had my PC connected wirelessly. I rearranged where my USB wireless adapter was to obtain optimal signal strength.

Still using TVersity, I've had really hardly any stuttering problems on xvid AVI files, VOB files and some MP4 files. Other types of AVI and some MP4 files still stutter. But I at least have something that is working. I'm considering running a hardwire line to the PC via my attic just to see if I can clear up the remaining stuttering issues.

I tried PS3 media server again with my new arrangement and still experienced the lengthy buffer delays. Due to this, I've decided to stick with TVersity. My only beef with TVersity is my inability to utilize DTS audio tracks.

did you adjust the setting in the transcoding for your wireless setting? in PS3 Media server you can set those to the quality that matches your wirless network. I've been using it and it works great.

you also don't just select the video as it shows, you go to the transcoding folder, and then select it from there. Hope that helps.
post #112 of 159 Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post

did you adjust the setting in the transcoding for your wireless setting? in PS3 Media server you can set those to the quality that matches your wirless network. I've been using it and it works great.

you also don't just select the video as it shows, you go to the transcoding folder, and then select it from there. Hope that helps.

without having the PS3 media server in front of me it's hard for me to determine if I've played around with that setting or not. I'll have to check it out when I get home and see if I can see what you're talking about. Thanks for any suggestions.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #113 of 159 Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmessin View Post

Have you tried Mezzmo? I find it works better than either PS3 Media server or Tversity. It is payware though but does have a trial period.
post #114 of 159 Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post

Have you tried Mezzmo? I find it works better than either PS3 Media server or Tversity. It is payware though but does have a trial period.

Interesting software there. Gonna look at it.
post #115 of 159 Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
Hey guys, wanted to say thanks for the recommendations in the thread for DVDFab software, I'm on version 8.0.5.6. It works great, I like how it automatically selects the righ title for recording. Just converted first movie (shrek forever after) to MP4 using the default DVD ripper to PS3 format.. Took about 4 hrs, I am wondering if its cuz I am using a Netbook to do it??? if I get a more powerful computer will it rip faster? was doing about 10FPS on conversion... I had DVD clone already as well as some other apps but DVDFab seems to really be an all on one solution...

As for captions they copied fine. enable the "SUBPICTURE". you will not be able to turn them on and off so they will always be on the video. Fine for me as I am Deaf. Will be copying all the kiddos disney movies over to save on the PS3 so they don't destroy the disks....

Is there a way I can stream from one PS3 to another, I have 2 of them. one upstairs and one in basement???
I am using the same software to rip my movies as well but I average between 80 and 140 frames per second and finish a movie in 20-30 minutes. I have a Dell laptop with an i5 processor and 4GB of RAM inside it.

If you select a caption track, it will show those captions all the time unless you check the box for "enable forced subpictures". In this case it will only show captions when the movie showed them originally.

If you want to stream movies to multiple PS3s I would recommend getting a NAS (network access storage) drive. House all the movies on the drive (Western Digital MyBook Live) is the one I am using. Attach this drive to your network (via wired connection) and put all your movies, pictures and music on the drive. From there you can use the included Twonky server to play all your movies, music and photos on any PS3 or PC in the house.

Gaming doesn't kill people! Crazy, pent up, overly agressive, repressed, gun wielding people kill people.

PSN ID: Mbrodie617
post #116 of 159 Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, wanted to say thanks for the recommendations in the thread Is there a way I can stream from one PS3 to another, I have 2 of them. one upstairs and one in basement???

Here's what I'm doing for my two PS3's, like yours I have one upstairs and one in the basement. I don't stream from one to the other, but I do stream the same content to either. I bought a used dual core desktop PC (a similar new one is on sale today at 1saleaday.com for $199, I think I got mine on ebay for about $150), bought a few large external hard drives, ripped all my blu-rays to the drives, connected the PC to my wired network, and use PS3 Media Server to stream full uncompressed video with uncompressed audio to either of my PS3's. I never have to put the discs in the PS3s and I don't have to suffer through all the annoying adds and warnings at the beginning of the movies.
post #117 of 159 Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 AM

What step am I missing here? I've done all the steps in Turd's primer for sharing pics to my TV from the PS3 using Windows Media player 11.

I've allowed the firewall exception and it sees both PS3's.
WMP 11 scanned the pictures. On the top right of WMP 11's home page when I click pics I can see all my pics there.

Looks to me on the PS 3 I thought I've enabled what needs to be enabled in the system set up area.

But when I click "search for media server" scans the PS3 never never finds my pics. (I have the PS3 wired to the router).

I previously had 2 Sony S570's, but returned both for 2 PS3's due to Netflix freezing issues. I had no issues viewing pics with the 570's through it's DNLA support.

Am I missing a setting that needs to be enabled on the PS3?
Thx
post #118 of 159 Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrodie617 View Post

I am using the same software to rip my movies as well but I average between 80 and 140 frames per second and finish a movie in 20-30 minutes. I have a Dell laptop with an i5 processor and 4GB of RAM inside it.

If you select a caption track, it will show those captions all the time unless you check the box for "enable forced subpictures". In this case it will only show captions when the movie showed them originally.

If you want to stream movies to multiple PS3s I would recommend getting a NAS (network access storage) drive. House all the movies on the drive (Western Digital MyBook Live) is the one I am using. Attach this drive to your network (via wired connection) and put all your movies, pictures and music on the drive. From there you can use the included Twonky server to play all your movies, music and photos on any PS3 or PC in the house.

Thanks for the info and @seplant too. What format are you ripping to for the media server? I just ripped first movie to MKV format that I keep reading about. haven't figured out how to play it. ordered a new laptop, so hopefully it will have a little more grunt for encoding and stuff. Looking for another desktop like seplant mentioned. Which are the best CPU's for cheap HTPC's AMD or Intel? there are so many new chip models I have no idea what is good enough. AMD is usually cheaper than intel I know. can connect it via HDMI or VGA to my projector

DJ
post #119 of 159 Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info and @seplant too. What format are you ripping to for the media server? I just ripped first movie to MKV format that I keep reading about. haven't figured out how to play it. ordered a new laptop, so hopefully it will have a little more grunt for encoding and stuff. Looking for another desktop like seplant mentioned. Which are the best CPU's for cheap HTPC's AMD or Intel? there are so many new chip models I have no idea what is good enough. AMD is usually cheaper than intel I know. can connect it via HDMI or VGA to my projector

I rip to M2TS format because I want to keep the lossless audio from my blu-rays. I use Eac3to to convert DTS-MA or TrueHD audio to LPCM then use tsMuxer to combine the video and audio into a single file. M2TS files stream just fine to the PS3.

My PC has an Intel processor. I don't know if an AMD processor would perform any differently.
post #120 of 159 Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I rip to M2TS format because I want to keep the lossless audio from my blu-rays. I use Eac3to to convert DTS-MA or TrueHD audio to LPCM then use tsMuxer to combine the video and audio into a single file. M2TS files stream just fine to the PS3.

My PC has an Intel processor. I don't know if an AMD processor would perform any differently.

M2TS are fine except they gobble up a lot of space on hard drives. But if you want as little as hassle as possible with your streaming, then by all means stay within the approved codec list of the PS3. M2TS is one of them.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page