Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 202
How many suits have they lost? I've heard of none.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
either way its not like you can't keep playing... you just can't get XP. Im sure you can farm gold or whatever else. This allows the more casual players to keep up and allows grouping up with people of your level to be easier for a longer period of time.

Seriously, if you have played MMO's like I have you'd understand that this is only going to be a good thing for the game's community.
post #93 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I'm trying to be objective here, but there's no way I can wrap my head around the idea of paying a company money every month that restricts * my choice * to grind XP for as many hours as I see fit. Honestly speaking, I'd likely never hit their limit but that isn't the point. It's my personal time, and it's ridiculous for someone else to tell me what to do with it by imposing these kind of restrictions.

My choice would be to skip any game with arbitrary restrictions on principal alone. Still, if SE can find plenty of players to sign up for it, c'est la vie.

Ultima Online implemented a "power hour" and it worked out really well. You didn't stop gaining after your first hour of the day was over but the returns were greatly diminished. It helped keep a fairly level playing field built on skill rather than level/gear.

"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you..."
post #94 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I might actually play this then.

I played 11 about as much as the limit is here. But over the course of 3 weeks I lost an excellent group because they all leveled far past me.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #95 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

Seriously, if you have played MMO's like I have you'd understand that this is only going to be a good thing for the game's community.

No, I don't understand that. I have played Guild Wars, WoW, Warhammer and AION and I don't see how limiting people to 8-16 hours of xp generation per week helps the community. It is casual gamer hand holding, pure and simple.

The only thing this is doing is replacing the level disparity based on how many hours someone plays, to how long they have been playing.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #96 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

No, I don't understand that. I have played Guild Wars, WoW, Warhammer and AION and I don't see how limiting people to 8-16 hours of xp generation per week helps the community. It is casual gamer hand holding, pure and simple.

The only thing this is doing is replacing the level disparity based on how many hours someone plays, to how long they have been playing.

You are complaining about hand holding yet your vast experience in MMO's is based on GW, WoW, WH, and AION? Yikes. Leveling grind-fests are craptastic. A more rewarding experience can be had in games that are based on individual skill rather than level/l33tl00t.

"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you..."
post #97 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Guild Wars was not a craptastic leveling grind fest. You could get enough XP to max out a character at Level 20 in one power weekend once you knew what you were doing. And because you were extremely limited in the number of skills you could bring to battle (eight max), you had to choose your talents carefully to get the most out of what your character could do. Sounds like a game that promotes individual skill to me.

post #98 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I am imagining the poster is bashing my MMO experience as it's not really oldschool/hardcore but I never really said it was. I was responding to Sonies who thinks that anyone who has played an MMO will think this is a good thing for the community. I just don't see why tho. I don't see how it benefits "the community". It benefits casual gamers. I have played enough MMO's to realize that casual gamers make very very little contributions to "the community". The semi->hardcore MMO'ers are the ones tanking your instance runs, running your guilds, learning to min/max gear, learning how to beat raid bosses, etc etc. The casual gamers are just the fluff, filling the servers, and giving you someone to PK.

I never even said I want a "levelling grind fest". I am not Korean. I hate levelling. That is my major problem. I don't want to level. The one saving grace in an MMO is that I can grind out my levelling experience in ~2 months and get on with the PvP and get on with the high level raid content.

And you say that a more rewarding experience can be had in games based on individual skill? No ****. The core of my current gaming is in Starcraft 2 1v1's and SSF4. I'm certainly not looking for any easy rides in skill based competition.

edit: Also what said FFXIV is going to be any sort of deep skill based MMO??? I must have missed that trailer.

post #99 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Other games have implemented systems that let people of various levels play together without putting a restriction on how much xp you can earn.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #100 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I was hoping that this game would be free to play, I may now pass on it and play DC Universe instead (if that is still free to play).

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #101 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

I was hoping that this game would be free to play, I may now pass on it and play DC Universe instead (if that is still free to play).

I do not think DC Universe is free to play either.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #102 of 489 Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

wow I guess you were near pre-order before you heard it's a $30 to play DC Universe

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #103 of 489 Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Guild Wars was not a craptastic leveling grind fest. You could get enough XP to max out a character at Level 20 in one power weekend once you knew what you were doing. And because you were extremely limited in the number of skills you could bring to battle (eight max), you had to choose your talents carefully to get the most out of what your character could do. Sounds like a game that promotes individual skill to me.

Guild Wars isn't exactly an MMO either and it's more of a niche game.

Quote:

I am imagining the poster is bashing my MMO experience as it's not really oldschool/hardcore but I never really said it was. I was responding to Sonies who thinks that anyone who has played an MMO will think this is a good thing for the community. I just don't see why tho. I don't see how it benefits "the community". It benefits casual gamers. I have played enough MMO's to realize that casual gamers make very very little contributions to "the community". The semi->hardcore MMO'ers are the ones tanking your instance runs, running your guilds, learning to min/max gear, learning how to beat raid bosses, etc etc. The casual gamers are just the fluff, filling the servers, and giving you someone to PK.

I never even said I want a "levelling grind fest". I am not Korean. I hate levelling. That is my major problem. I don't want to level. The one saving grace in an MMO is that I can grind out my levelling experience in ~2 months and get on with the PvP and get on with the high level raid content.

And you say that a more rewarding experience can be had in games based on individual skill? No ****. The core of my current gaming is in Starcraft 2 1v1's and SSF4. I'm certainly not looking for any easy rides in skill based competition.

edit: Also what said FFXIV is going to be any sort of deep skill based MMO??? I must have missed that trailer.

No offense intended. It just seemed kind of silly to be critical of "hand holding" when the games you have experienced all catered to that same mind set. MMO's today have no real community. Not a good/strong one, at least. This is because guilds are nothing but leveling/instance factories in the current setup.

I have played with the same core group of 20-30 people for nearly 13 years. But the current system used by most MMO's makes it very hard for us to play together anymore. We've all (most) gone from a bunch of college kids to adult/parenthood with real responsibility. We don't all keep the same schedules and guild mates are constantly outpaced and end up moving on to other things. The system SE is looking to implement would help keep that to a minimum.

It worked very well in Ultima Online. Guild hopping wasn't nearly the problem it is in today's MMO's. You will actually get to game with people long enough to build a real guild/community. It's a much more rewarding experience than the current setup: Spamming LFG in city chat/guild chat, run instance/get wiped, break group, rinse and repeat. It also makes it much less entertaining when my guild rolls in and kills you.

The perfect game would be Asheron's Call with Shadowbane's city building and WoW's quest system. Darkfall tried but they don't have the financing for any long term success.

post #104 of 489 Old 08-27-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

look the only people this rule will annoy is the very few hardcore players that aren't getting this on PC

and to me it sounds like you are a "hardcore" MMO player. Almost all people that buy this game will not be caring about raid content and end game PVP, which we don't even know if it exists yet.
post #105 of 489 Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I want a end game Linkshell

75 Whm/Blm Taru

75 War/Nin Taru

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #106 of 489 Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
post #107 of 489 Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modus Ponens View Post

Guild Wars isn't exactly an MMO either and it's more of a niche game.

No offense intended. It just seemed kind of silly to be critical of "hand holding" when the games you have experienced all catered to that same mind set. MMO's today have no real community. Not a good/strong one, at least. This is because guilds are nothing but leveling/instance factories in the current setup.

I have played with the same core group of 20-30 people for nearly 13 years. But the current system used by most MMO's makes it very hard for us to play together anymore. We've all (most) gone from a bunch of college kids to adult/parenthood with real responsibility. We don't all keep the same schedules and guild mates are constantly outpaced and end up moving on to other things. The system SE is looking to implement would help keep that to a minimum.

It worked very well in Ultima Online. Guild hopping wasn't nearly the problem it is in today's MMO's. You will actually get to game with people long enough to build a real guild/community. It's a much more rewarding experience than the current setup: Spamming LFG in city chat/guild chat, run instance/get wiped, break group, rinse and repeat. It also makes it much less entertaining when my guild rolls in and kills you.

The perfect game would be Asheron's Call with Shadowbane's city building and WoW's quest system. Darkfall tried but they don't have the financing for any long term success.

WoW's quest system paired up with Shadowbane's open PvP and city management would indeed be the perfect MMO for me. They just need to find a way to combine questing and open PvP without all the griefers coming out of the woodwork. To Shadowbane's credit, it instilled a sense of community since you had a city to protect.

WoW is an ever evolving carrot-on-a-stick game. No thanks.

On to XIV. I just started playing the beta. It looks good but the jury is still out. Need to put some time in before I make an informed opinion.
post #108 of 489 Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Enjoying XIV on the HTPC so far. I think the leveling system will end up working well due to it's flexibility. If you level a class well beyond a friend, it's easy enough to pick up the weapon of another class and work that instead. 2 great things come of this - 1) You get to play with your friend without having the balance of the game a mess - 2) Many of the skills you learn while leveling the 2nd class (or 3rd, or 4th or 5th) can be loaded onto your skill bar while playing your first class.

To truly build some of the FF classes we know and love, you need to level a couple different classes and then pick and choose the skills that make sense to your character's identity.

This is definitely worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM . It's a great video about the fatigue system.
post #109 of 489 Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Because of the messy PC release that Square Enix is still trying to clean up, the PS3 version will be delayed again. Looks like a few heads have rolled as well.

Quote:

An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans

Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company's top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group's most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We realize time is of the essence and are fully determined to provide our customers with quality service. It is because of this that we ask our customers to be patient until we are able to confidently present them with a concrete plan outlining FINAL FANTASY XIV's new direction. The free trial period will be extended until that time.

Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned. For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV team is working hard to bring our customers an unparalleled adventure, and we ask for your continued understanding and support as we march ever diligently towards that goal.

President and CEO, Yoichi Wada

The development and management teams would like to make an announcement regarding personnel changes.

[Organizational Changes to the Development Team]
To improve the service of FINAL FANTASY XIV, Square Enix has made the following changes to the development team:

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director
Naoki Yoshida

Section Leader Changes

Assistant Director
Shintaro Tamai (FINAL FANTASY X, Front Mission 5: Scars of the War)

Lead Game Designer
Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY XI)

Lead Combat System Designer
Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

Technical Advisor
Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Next Generation Game Engine Development)

Lead Programmer
Hideyuki Kasuga (FINAL FANTASY XI, DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-)

Senior Concept Artist
Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

Lead Artist
Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XI, THE LAST REMNANT)

Lead UI Designer/Lead Web Designer
Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

These members will make up the development team's new core-a core dedicated to ensuring we achieve a level of enjoyability that will more than satisfy our customers. Under a schedule of more frequent version updates, the new leaders and their respective sections will strive for continued improvements to FINAL FANTASY XIV service operation and development.

[Extension of the Free Trial Period]
As stated above, the newly restructured team's top priority is to bring about improvements to the game's enjoyability, and therefore we have decided to extend the free trial period until we can provide a plan that outlines a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers. When we are confident that we have reached that goal, we will notify our customers immediately.

[Future Version Updates]
At present, the development team is putting the finishing touches on the previously announced version update, which is still slated for release in mid-December. In addition, there is one more version update scheduled for release before year's end. Details on the content and dates of these updates will be released in the near future.

[Delay of the PlayStation 3 Version Release]
Although the release date for the PlayStation 3 version of the game was previously announced as late March of 2011, we regret to inform that this date has been changed.

The PlayStation 3 release will be delayed until we are confident that the game has reached the level of enjoyability and service befitting the FINAL FANTASY name for users on all supported platforms. We offer our sincerest apologies to any fans anticipating the PlayStation 3 release, and humbly ask for your continued patience and understanding as both the development team and Square Enix as a whole strive towards making FINAL FANTASY XIV a truly enjoyable and unforgettable adventure.

[New Development Team Policy]
I would like to take this opportunity to greet all of you—those currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV, those who have taken a respite from playing, and those awaiting the PlayStation 3 release—and offer a brief word by way of an introduction.

No doubt there are very few, if any, among you who have ever heard the name Naoki Yoshida. To be sure, I have never been in the fore on any of the titles I have worked on in the past. I am, however, honored and privileged to work alongside many talented and inspiring colleagues, and with their support have enjoyed making games for a number of years. I am aware that a great many people will think the responsibility of leading FINAL FANTASY XIV is far too large a task for someone so unknown. After all, even my very best may seem no more than a drop in the bucket when considering the sheer scope of FINAL FANTASY XIV. But working together with me are the very talented and very capable development and management teams, whose dedication and motivation are unwavering. I would like to ask you to please put to rest uncertainties that you may have.

Now, more than ever, myself, the development team, and Square Enix as a whole, are committed to furthering our efforts to provide a quality service.

Everything we do will be for our players and customers.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director, Naoki Yoshida

post #110 of 489 Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

[Delay of the PlayStation 3 Version Release]
Quote:

Although the release date for the PlayStation 3 version of the game was previously announced as late March of 2011, we regret to inform that this date has been changed.

Amazon shows a long delay

This item has not yet been released.

# Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
# ASIN: B002BRZ79E
# Item Weight: 4.8 ounces
# Media: Video Game
# Release Date: December 31, 2020

amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Playstation-3

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #111 of 489 Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe they'll give it away free with purchased copies of Duke Nuke'em Forever?

post #112 of 489 Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe they'll give it away free with purchased copies of duke nuke'em forever?

lmao :d

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #113 of 489 Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** October 2011 Update ***

The game is being completely redesigned. The new due date is early 2013 for the PS3.

Quote:
Square Enix has announced its plans for an overhaul of troubled MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, revealing that the remade version of the game will be made available in the fourth quarter of 2012.

In a statement, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada explained that the development team has been working to fix the game to a high standard after a rocky launch ten months ago.

As part of the announcement, Wada said that the unbilled period for the game will now come to a close, and a subscription-based system will be put in place sometime between late November and early December 2011.

The remade version of the game, dubbed 'Version 2.0', is due to be integrated into the game between October and December 2012. The full client will then go on sale at the start of 2013 for both PC and PlayStation 3.

The PS3 version of the game was delayed back when the game launched for PC, as Square Enix said that it was looking to improve stability, performance and functionality before the launch.

Naoki Yoshida, producer on the game, listed all the changes that the game will undergo for the rerelease. The game's current maps will be redesigned to fix the repetitive feel, while a whole new graphics engine will be put in place.

A new server system will also be integrated to fix speed and performance problems, while the user interface will receive a full overhaul.

Finally, the in-game community content will see more regular expansions, while overall the game will see numerous bug fixes and alterations.

"I promise that we will continue to give all Final Fantasy XIV players our full attention as we do everything in our power to provide a high-quality service," he said, "and as such, would like ask for your continued encouragement and support."

"As always, everything we do will be for our players and customers," he concluded.

Yoichi Wada said last month that the Final Fantasy name has been "greatly damaged" by the troubled Final Fantasy XIV.

post #114 of 489 Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Beta starts in February!
moepoker likes this.
post #115 of 489 Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Its Groundhog Day!

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #116 of 489 Old 08-13-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
So this comes out the 27th. I'd completely forgotten this existed. Thinking about picking it up even though I'd promised myself I wouldn't buy any new games before the PS4 comes out (my backlog is huge). Anybody else grabbing this at release?

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #117 of 489 Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I have basically heard nothing but complaints about this game.

None the less... An mmo while sitting back on the couch with a gamepad sure does sound appealing.

post #118 of 489 Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The complaints were directed at version A on the PC. Square apologized for the mess, went back to the drawing board and overhauled the entire game, which is the version B that PS3 gamers will only see in the upcoming release. The PC version gets this update as well.

post #119 of 489 Old 08-14-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 11
from all the reading I've done,seems like ff14 ARR is like a totally new game.
btw ps3 and pc are together on the same servers.
kind of like a online version of a final fantasy game mixed in with a wow or dcuo feel to it.
open beta starts friday:D

-------------------------
psn: acelightning15
just call me ace
post #120 of 489 Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The PS4 version releases on April 14th. PS3 subscribers get the new version as a free upgrade if they wish.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page