AVS Forum banner

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3 / PS4)

20K views 522 replies 64 participants last post by  Marafice Eye 
#1 ·

Square-Enix redesigned their latest MMO Final Fantasy XIV, and it is out now on the PS3 and PS4. An AVS group is teamed up on the "Goblin" server. Post up your interest in joining them.

Quote:
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn takes place in the fictional land of Eorzea, five years after the events of the original release. At the conclusion of Final Fantasy XIV, the primal dragon Bahamut escapes from its prison inside an artificial moon to initiate the Seventh Umbral Era, an apocalyptic event which destroys much of Eorzea. Through the gods' blessing, the player character escapes the devastation by time traveling five years into the future. As Eorzea recovers and rebuilds, the player must deal with the impending threat of invasion by the Garlean Empire from the north.

Here are some some pics and concept artwork:

A PS4 launch trailer showing its unique features:

See less See more
1 8
#6 ·
Biggest announcement of E3 by far. I had to change my pants after this was announced.

Jack Tretton: "But PS3 is exclusively getting the follow-up to Final Fantasy XIII as well"

Me: "O sweet, they're gonna show a new FFvsXIII trailer"

Jack: "I present to you the first trailer for Final Fantasy XIV"

Me: "HOLY ****! SAY WHAT!?"

Jack ".... Due out in 2010"

Me: *Begins to hyperventilate*

*Trailer plays*

Me: *creams jeans*

#8 ·
Eh, you guys realize this is basically another MMO (like XI)? I think that will turn a lot of people away. A new single player RPG exclusive to PS3 would have been a bigger announcement.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsixxx /forum/post/16575154

Eh, you guys realize this is basically another MMO (like XI)? I think that will turn a lot of people away. A new single player RPG exclusive to PS3 would have been a bigger announcement.

Yes we all realize it's online. Hence the name Final Fantasy XIV Online. You realize that the last MMO Square-Enix (at the time just Square) released has been going strong for 8 years, has been popular enough for 5 expansions, and has an incredibly loyal 1,000,000+ userbase right? For an MMO to even survive in the age of WoW is impressive, for it to flourish like FFXI is incredible. This announcement is freakin huge and I'm sure I'm not the only former FFXI player stoked to see another FF Online. No one's gonna be turned away by this, they either heard the announcement and didn't care or they heard the announcement and started frothing at the mouth like a crack addict going through withdrawals.*

O man I've been thinking about jumping back into FFXI recently too. God just thinking about that game brings back a flood of great memories. Seriously it may have been brutally difficult and compared to modern MMOs it may seem primitive but it had a charm, a style, a soundtrack, and a community like no other MMO I've ever played.

*I have no idea if crack addicts in withdrawal foam at the mouth but it sounded good.

#10 ·
A thought just occurred: Do you think this is going to use PlayOnline?

#12 ·
JT may have spoken too soon:
Quote:
In what can only be considered a double whammy, Square Enix has denied that Final Fantasy XIV is a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Speaking at a press conference today, senior VP Shinji Hashimoto spoke to attendees with the use of a translator. According to a report on Shacknews, Hashimoto "stressed that FFXIV should not be considered a PS3 exclusive, noting that 'all options' includes Microsoft hardware."

This comes in roughly 24 hours after Sony's Jack Tretton made the stunning announcement that FF14 would indeed be a PlayStation 3-exclusive title.

It's pretty dumb for Trenton to have announced that if they didn't have it nailed down. We'll see how it all sorts out.

#15 ·
OK it was misleading but not untrue. The public doesn't have law degrees to decipher every word so I still say its dumb not to be clear. Microsoft pulled a similar stunt with Metal Gear Solid: Rising's announcement since we now know it is coming to the PS3.

Ah well, hopefully FFXIV is something special regardless.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 /forum/post/16574998

So will the combat in this likely be turn-based? I mean, I'm guessing it will be because it's FF, but anyone know for sure?

I used to play a free-to-play MMORPG called Atlantica Online that had turn based combat, and you controlled a party of 9. It was a lot of fun. I only quit because I didn't want to put in the time required to progress at higher levels.

#19 ·
Would you really want a game like this to be PS3 exclusive anyway? It would seem the bigger the community the better for most MMOs.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/16575282

This announcement is freakin huge and I'm sure I'm not the only former FFXI player stoked to see another FF Online.

You're defenitly not the only one.
Based on the jumbled mess of a post at IGN that joeblow linked to, it will have better support for soloing. I'm very excited by that. When I played XI, you couldn't solo past level 18 - 20 with any level of effecieny, if memory serves me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/16576121

A thought just occurred: Do you think this is going to use PlayOnline?

That Q&A IGN post also mentions that they're not using PlayOnline. I'm hoping they just simply integrate it into PSN, for the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree /forum/post/16589681

Would you really want a game like this to be PS3 exclusive anyway? It would seem the bigger the community the better for most MMOs.

I think there's something to be said for a higher barrier of entry for an MMO. That won't establish a larger community, but it could help establish a stronger, or more focussed, community. Not saying that's good or bad, either way.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/16575282

No one's gonna be turned away by this, they either heard the announcement and didn't care or they heard the announcement and started frothing at the mouth like a crack addict going through withdrawals.*

Incorrect. I place myself forward as an example of one who is certainly turned away. I heard the announcement and cared a great deal, then looked more closely and was hugely disappointed to see that it was online.

#22 ·
Here's an interesting rumor: FFXIV will be free to play.

Quote:
Despite being a MMO, according to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIV will play like a regular Final Fantasy game. During the Square Enix press conference, a designer for the game indicated that the game was first crafted with it being a single player experience in mind but expanded into a MMO. Unlike traditional MMOs, gamers will be able to have a full satisfying experience playing the game solo or with a party. There will also be a huge focus on story and character development.

I talked a little about the subscription model for the game yesterday, but today I received word from a source that a Square Enix rep at the booth have indicated that Final Fantasy Fantasy XIV will use a Free-to-Play (F2P) model, which has been gaining popularity recently. There are no details yet, but apparently Sony and Square Enix is currently in discussion regarding the subscription model.

Currently, Sony has revealed that SOE will utilize a similar Free-to-Play model for new MMOs in development for the PS3. I suspect that this is the model Sony has pitched to Square Enix. Since the PS3 is fully capable of acting like server, Sony has been throwing up PS3s onto racks to act as dedicated servers for other games, so this arrangement with Square Enix sounds plausible.

Also, according to my source, Final Fantasy XIV will require at least 5GB of mandatory harddrive space, which to be frank sounds a bit too small for a next gen MMO (I’m thinking more like 10GB). During the press conference Square Enix also confirmed that there will indeed be a beta for the game, which is fantastic news. Gamers can expect a worldwide simultaneous release of Final Fantasy XIV in 2010 for the PS3 and PC.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/16590323

Here's an interesting rumor: FFXIV will be free to play.

I was one of the people that was turned away a bit because it is online only, mainly due to the fact that I don't like paying subscription fees for games. If it is free to play, that would be great and I definitely am very interested again, just like I was while watching the trailer... well until the very end.

#24 ·
I'm with you buddy. I have yet to start paying monthly fees for a game. In fact, the main reason I chose Guild Wars over WoW on my PC is just for that very reason. It's also the reason I will never even consider picking up an X360. I have the disposable income, but to pay monthly for anything game related is highly unlikely.

#26 ·
I posted before but it must have been cleared by server reset or something.

When I heard about 14 I was literally crapping myself. "OMG" and RU SERIOUS came out more than a few times and I was completely let down by this being the follow up to xi. I cant say that I have zero percent excitement for it but its probably less than 10 percent. I dont think they should number their online games.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.