Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 204

Square-Enix redesigned their latest MMO Final Fantasy XIV, and it is out now on the PS3 and PS4. An AVS group is teamed up on the "Goblin" server. Post up your interest in joining them.

Quote:
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn takes place in the fictional land of Eorzea, five years after the events of the original release. At the conclusion of Final Fantasy XIV, the primal dragon Bahamut escapes from its prison inside an artificial moon to initiate the Seventh Umbral Era, an apocalyptic event which destroys much of Eorzea. Through the gods' blessing, the player character escapes the devastation by time traveling five years into the future. As Eorzea recovers and rebuilds, the player must deal with the impending threat of invasion by the Garlean Empire from the north.

Here are some some pics and concept artwork:

A PS4 launch trailer showing its unique features:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wiiiiiiiin. FFXII and Vagrant Story had brilliant design, glad to see more of Yoshida.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #3 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Awesome!! This should be good.... looking forward to it!

PSN/XBL: Gu1nnesS13
post #4 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

So will the combat in this likely be turn-based? I mean, I'm guessing it will be because it's FF, but anyone know for sure?
post #5 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Turn based online? I highly doubt it. You will probably have an action meter in some way, but no one knows until perhaps TGS in Japan this September.

post #6 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Biggest announcement of E3 by far. I had to change my pants after this was announced.

Jack Tretton: "But PS3 is exclusively getting the follow-up to Final Fantasy XIII as well"

Me: "O sweet, they're gonna show a new FFvsXIII trailer"

Jack: "I present to you the first trailer for Final Fantasy XIV"

Me: "HOLY ****! SAY WHAT!?"

Jack ".... Due out in 2010"

Me: *Begins to hyperventilate*

*Trailer plays*

Me: *creams jeans*

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #7 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Honestly, that was the reaction I was hearing from nearly everyone around me there at the show today. Each sentence he said caused an audible reaction from the crowd.

post #8 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Eh, you guys realize this is basically another MMO (like XI)? I think that will turn a lot of people away. A new single player RPG exclusive to PS3 would have been a bigger announcement.
post #9 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsixxx View Post

Eh, you guys realize this is basically another MMO (like XI)? I think that will turn a lot of people away. A new single player RPG exclusive to PS3 would have been a bigger announcement.

Yes we all realize it's online. Hence the name Final Fantasy XIV Online. You realize that the last MMO Square-Enix (at the time just Square) released has been going strong for 8 years, has been popular enough for 5 expansions, and has an incredibly loyal 1,000,000+ userbase right? For an MMO to even survive in the age of WoW is impressive, for it to flourish like FFXI is incredible. This announcement is freakin huge and I'm sure I'm not the only former FFXI player stoked to see another FF Online. No one's gonna be turned away by this, they either heard the announcement and didn't care or they heard the announcement and started frothing at the mouth like a crack addict going through withdrawals.*

O man I've been thinking about jumping back into FFXI recently too. God just thinking about that game brings back a flood of great memories. Seriously it may have been brutally difficult and compared to modern MMOs it may seem primitive but it had a charm, a style, a soundtrack, and a community like no other MMO I've ever played.

*I have no idea if crack addicts in withdrawal foam at the mouth but it sounded good.

post #10 of 489 Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

A thought just occurred: Do you think this is going to use PlayOnline?

post #11 of 489 Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

During the conference, the guy said 'exclusive at launch' so it may be one of those timed deals. No matter, have both.
post #12 of 489 Old 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

JT may have spoken too soon:
Quote:

In what can only be considered a double whammy, Square Enix has denied that Final Fantasy XIV is a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Speaking at a press conference today, senior VP Shinji Hashimoto spoke to attendees with the use of a translator. According to a report on Shacknews, Hashimoto "stressed that FFXIV should not be considered a PS3 exclusive, noting that 'all options' includes Microsoft hardware."

This comes in roughly 24 hours after Sony's Jack Tretton made the stunning announcement that FF14 would indeed be a PlayStation 3-exclusive title.

It's pretty dumb for Trenton to have announced that if they didn't have it nailed down. We'll see how it all sorts out.

post #13 of 489 Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Heh, oops. Well it will be available on the PC, so strictly speaking it's not an exclusive
post #14 of 489 Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like aegisx said, it was never said to be a PS3 exclusive title. The exact quote from Sony's E3 conference is:

"Playstation 3 will be the only console you'll be able to play Final Fantasy FFXIV on when it launches in 2010."

Additionally, nowhere in the trailer did the phrase "Only on Playstation/PS3" appear.
post #15 of 489 Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK it was misleading but not untrue. The public doesn't have law degrees to decipher every word so I still say its dumb not to be clear. Microsoft pulled a similar stunt with Metal Gear Solid: Rising's announcement since we now know it is coming to the PS3.

Ah well, hopefully FFXIV is something special regardless.

post #16 of 489 Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

Heh, oops. Well it will be available on the PC, so strictly speaking it's not an exclusive

Strictly speaking it's a "Windows" title, so there is the possibility of it running on Macs running Win (probably need one hell of a beefy setup though).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #17 of 489 Old 06-04-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SE had a Q&A about the title sharing some details about the game play. It's a mess of a blog entry by ign, but start at the bottom and work your way up to try and read it.

post #18 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 View Post

So will the combat in this likely be turn-based? I mean, I'm guessing it will be because it's FF, but anyone know for sure?

I used to play a free-to-play MMORPG called Atlantica Online that had turn based combat, and you controlled a party of 9. It was a lot of fun. I only quit because I didn't want to put in the time required to progress at higher levels.
post #19 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 AM

Liked: 21
Would you really want a game like this to be PS3 exclusive anyway? It would seem the bigger the community the better for most MMOs.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
post #20 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

This announcement is freakin huge and I'm sure I'm not the only former FFXI player stoked to see another FF Online.

You're defenitly not the only one. Based on the jumbled mess of a post at IGN that joeblow linked to, it will have better support for soloing. I'm very excited by that. When I played XI, you couldn't solo past level 18 - 20 with any level of effecieny, if memory serves me.

Quote:

A thought just occurred: Do you think this is going to use PlayOnline?

That Q&A IGN post also mentions that they're not using PlayOnline. I'm hoping they just simply integrate it into PSN, for the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree View Post

Would you really want a game like this to be PS3 exclusive anyway? It would seem the bigger the community the better for most MMOs.

I think there's something to be said for a higher barrier of entry for an MMO. That won't establish a larger community, but it could help establish a stronger, or more focussed, community. Not saying that's good or bad, either way.
post #21 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

No one's gonna be turned away by this, they either heard the announcement and didn't care or they heard the announcement and started frothing at the mouth like a crack addict going through withdrawals.*

Incorrect. I place myself forward as an example of one who is certainly turned away. I heard the announcement and cared a great deal, then looked more closely and was hugely disappointed to see that it was online.
post #22 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's an interesting rumor: FFXIV will be free to play.

Quote:

Despite being a MMO, according to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIV will play like a regular Final Fantasy game. During the Square Enix press conference, a designer for the game indicated that the game was first crafted with it being a single player experience in mind but expanded into a MMO. Unlike traditional MMOs, gamers will be able to have a full satisfying experience playing the game solo or with a party. There will also be a huge focus on story and character development.

I talked a little about the subscription model for the game yesterday, but today I received word from a source that a Square Enix rep at the booth have indicated that Final Fantasy Fantasy XIV will use a Free-to-Play (F2P) model, which has been gaining popularity recently. There are no details yet, but apparently Sony and Square Enix is currently in discussion regarding the subscription model.

Currently, Sony has revealed that SOE will utilize a similar Free-to-Play model for new MMOs in development for the PS3. I suspect that this is the model Sony has pitched to Square Enix. Since the PS3 is fully capable of acting like server, Sony has been throwing up PS3s onto racks to act as dedicated servers for other games, so this arrangement with Square Enix sounds plausible.

Also, according to my source, Final Fantasy XIV will require at least 5GB of mandatory harddrive space, which to be frank sounds a bit too small for a next gen MMO (I’m thinking more like 10GB). During the press conference Square Enix also confirmed that there will indeed be a beta for the game, which is fantastic news. Gamers can expect a worldwide simultaneous release of Final Fantasy XIV in 2010 for the PS3 and PC.

post #23 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Here's an interesting rumor: FFXIV will be free to play.

I was one of the people that was turned away a bit because it is online only, mainly due to the fact that I don't like paying subscription fees for games. If it is free to play, that would be great and I definitely am very interested again, just like I was while watching the trailer... well until the very end.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #24 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm with you buddy. I have yet to start paying monthly fees for a game. In fact, the main reason I chose Guild Wars over WoW on my PC is just for that very reason. It's also the reason I will never even consider picking up an X360. I have the disposable income, but to pay monthly for anything game related is highly unlikely.

post #25 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM

post #26 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I posted before but it must have been cleared by server reset or something.

When I heard about 14 I was literally crapping myself. "OMG" and RU SERIOUS came out more than a few times and I was completely let down by this being the follow up to xi. I cant say that I have zero percent excitement for it but its probably less than 10 percent. I dont think they should number their online games.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #27 of 489 Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FFO-I
FFO-II

Yeah, I like that naming convention much better too.

post #28 of 489 Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some early details revealed:

Quote:

The latest edition of Famitsu Wave recently hit newsstands in Japan, bringing with it a DVD which contains an 8-minute exposé on Square Enix's second stab at the MMO genre, Final Fantasy XIV. The whole video is posted after the break. Fret not -- it sports convenient English subtitles.

Here's some of the more titilating excerpts: The game features a reinvented character progression system which does not include experience points or leveling up. The job system from XI will make an appearance, but in a heavily altered form -- an interview with the game's director, Nobuaki Komoto, revealed that the game will place a focus on the weapons players use, explaining that your armaments will determine "the way you play" and "the way you grow." Sounds reminiscent of Final Fantasy IX. (That's a very good thing.)

In addition, FFXIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka explained that the game takes place in a new region with a more "modern" feel to it -- the mysterious Eorzea which was mentioned in the trailer. The new world features familiar races (albeit with new names), and plays host to a "deep story," which is told through cut-scenes and quests. For more FFXIV info than you can possibly handle, check the video after the jump.

post #29 of 489 Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

they should bring back the card game from FFIX... talk about addictive

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #30 of 489 Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member