PS1 games with two player co-op? (excluding sports and fighting games) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Co-Op games are extremely common nowadays. Even in the 8-bit and 16-bit era's Co-Op was very common. You had games like Contra and Double Dragon. You had all the Shmup games that offered 2 player simultaneous play. But with the Playstation 1, besides sports games and fighting games, I can't really think of too many 2 player games, where the two players are playing simultaneously, on the same screen. Also, I'm not counting racing games that have a split screen option. Basically, I'm only interested in two player simultaneous games that use the entire screen. Similar to a game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I have an old Playstation 1 machine hooked up in my kids room, and I was trying to think of any two player simultaneous games ala Contra or Forgotten Worlds or something like that, but I just couldn't think of any....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Diablo 1, Metal Slug, Twisted Metal. I am also a big co-op fan so I will try and think of more. I remember "passing the controller" alot that was the old fashioned Co-op!
post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 AM

Liked: 832
Twisted Metal 2 World tour is an absolute must.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Re-Volt is a fun racing game (not sure if that counts as sport). I really dont' recall very many co-op in the current sense games.

PSN - todrigo
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 AM

There was a game a buddy and I used to play called Loaded. It was a kind of Smash TV/Ikari Warriors type shooter with some crazy characters. I always used this pirate named Cap'N Hands while my friend used a psycho clown named Fwank.

360/PSN ID - PanzerNinja
http://www.gamersvantage.com
post #6 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Isn't Twisted Metal a split screen game though? I'm guessing all of the games in which you either race or drive some type of vehilce, the co-op or multiplayer would be split screen.

I'm trying to think of games in which 2 or more people can play simultaneously, and it doesn't have to go to switch screen. Similar to a game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance today. There are tons of sports games and fighter games in which 2 people can play and the screen doesn't have to split, but I'm trying to think of more action games.

Regarding Loaded: That is an awesome game! I remember that one. One of the earlier PS1 games. I know it was an earlier release, because it was one of those PS1 games that came in a longbox before they switched up to the jewel case style. I know it had 2 player, but can't remember if it went split screen, or if it did it Marvel Ultimate Alliance style. Since it had the overhead perspective, I think it might have done the zoom out thing, rather than the split screen, but I'll have to check on that later today.

Remember Contra on the old Nintendo, how it was a 2D platforming game in which you and a friend could play simultaneously? I wish the PS1 had some games like that, but I honestly can't think of any off hand. One of the primary reasons we didn't see many games like that on the PS1, is because nobody wanted to release a 2D game back then. Sony even had a policy in the USA to actually discourage publishers from releasing 2D games. They wanted to keep the focus on 3D.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Twisted Metal 2 World tour is an absolute must.

Great game but it is split-screen.

Herc's Adventures is a very fun co-op game. Great sense of humor too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herc's_Adventures

edit

Fighting Force is another good one. 3D Beat-em-up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Force

And there's also the Point Blank lightgun games.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Liked: 832
Ahh, my bad. Didn't read the entire OP.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Remember Contra on the old Nintendo, how it was a 2D platforming game in which you and a friend could play simultaneously? I wish the PS1 had some games like that, but I honestly can't think of any off hand. One of the primary reasons we didn't see many games like that on the PS1, is because nobody wanted to release a 2D game back then. Sony even had a policy in the USA to actually discourage publishers from releasing 2D games. They wanted to keep the focus on 3D.

My theory is that the 32/64-bit era was when storytelling became important in games, so the focus was on long single-player games like Final Fantasy VII and other RPGs, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, etc. They hadn't yet figured out how to create co-op gameplay in a long story-oriented game. Meanwhile, the multiplayer focus was on the popular fighting and sports games, and the genres that required separate screens (or sections of a screen), like FPS and racing games.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Raiden Project, for two-player simultaneously SHMUP goodness. Wish they would release this and Raiden DX on PSN.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Montemayor View Post

Raiden Project, for two-player simultaneously SHMUP goodness. Wish they would release this and Raiden DX on PSN.

+100, quality shooting game with an addicting soundtrack, fighting force is an ok game.

guantlet legends is also mindless fun as well (4 player game), bomberman party edition (i think) is another I liked, einhander is a reidiculously difficult shooter that had excellent graphics (probably dont look great now), R-Types is another shooter, if i remember I'll look at my pile of ps1 games and see if anything else comes to mind tonight, Contra Legacy of war is not a very good game, but meets your criteria.... it also can be played with 3D glasses if you have them.

I know twisted metal two doesn't fit your criteria, but it is a blast to play with 2 people... vigilante 8 (made by twisted metal 2 developers) is decent as well, but it pales in comparison to twisted metal 2.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-09-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

If you had a Sega Saturn I'd be highly recommending Guardian Heroes. 2 player co-op in story mode, and up to 6 players in vs mode.

Guardian Heroes, Piont Blank (1 and 2) and Super Puzzle Fighter are my absolute favorites from the 32 bit era.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #13 of 13 Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 PM

For some two-player arcade thrills, check out the aptly named Arcade Party Pak, which features co-op versions of Rampage, Smash TV, Toobin', and Super Sprint. Good times.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page