How long is Persona 4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there's some Atlus fans in these parts so I figure this is probably a good place to ask. How long is Persona 4? I started it a few days ago and I'm about 7 hours in and all I've really done is beaten the first dungeon, spent a week working on social stuff, and now I'm fighting the first optional boss. I feel like 7 hours is a long time for so little to have occurred. I'm also grossly underleveled apparently because I don't stand a show against this optional bastard. Does the game's pace pick up or am I looking at a potential 80 hour game? Kind of curious because I don't have a whole lot of time to be dumping into games but I really wanna see this one through to the end.

Loving it by the way. This is my first Atlus title and my first Shin Megami Tensei title and it's arguably better than a lot of stuff I've played on my PS3 and 360. I can actually see myself doing a quick run through on New Game+ if my first playthrough doesn't take me a month.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I've not played P4, but P3 took me 150+ hours. 80 hours is not an unreasonable amount of time to expect to get through P4. I'd recommend either using a guide, since it's your first Persona game, and playing on Easy. P3 was my first Persona, and the guide helped a lot, while I regret not playing on Easy because there are so few chances to save when dungeon crawling that it's easy to lose a lot of time if the protagonist dies.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

I started it a few days ago and I'm about 7 hours in and all I've really done is beaten the first dungeon, spent a week working on social stuff, and now I'm fighting the first optional boss. I feel like 7 hours is a long time for so little to have occurred.

A bare-bones run through will probably take 70-80hrs. But if you're into all the extras, you're looking at 100+ hours. I played P3, and I think it's roughly similar in length and extras.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #4 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Holy smokes. That's insane. Guess I might not make it to that second run through the game after all. I'm gonna stick with Normal because I hate playing any game on Easy but I may look into getting a guide. Gotta say I'd feel a little dirty making my first run through an RPG with a guide though.

Amazing I can get 100+ quality hours out of a $30 PS2 game released in 2008 and I'm lucky to get 20 in a $60 current gen title. Wonder if I'll find any time to get around to inFamous this summer now.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

Holy smokes. That's insane. Guess I might not make it to that second run through the game after all. I'm gonna stick with Normal because I hate playing any game on Easy but I may look into getting a guide. Gotta say I'd feel a little dirty making my first run through an RPG with a guide though.

Amazing I can get 100+ quality hours out of a $30 PS2 game released in 2008 and I'm lucky to get 20 in a $60 current gen title. Wonder if I'll find any time to get around to inFamous this summer now.

I'm sure you could put 100 hours into Oblivion or Fallout 3 if you wanted to. Or even COD4 or W@W if you played the multiplayer. It's not like every PS2 game can get you 100+ hours, and likewise not all ps3 games will only get you 20.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

I'm sure you could put 100 hours into Oblivion or Fallout 3 if you wanted to. Or even COD4 or W@W if you played the multiplayer. It's not like every PS2 game can get you 100+ hours, and likewise not all ps3 games will only get you 20.

I'm fully aware of that. I was simply pointing out that's it's kind of funny/awesome that a game for a 9 year old console released just last winter for half the price of a new current gen game has more gameplay in it's main campaign than the entirety of the gameplay found in the vast majority of titles available on the 360 or PS3.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I'm less impressed by how long a cheap game can be, and am much more impressed by how good one can be. There are plenty of cheap and free games that will last you many hundreds of hours (there's an abundant supply of rogue-types on PC and Wii for example), but very few of them are good enough to warrant that much time. I'm someone who'd happily spend $60 for an amazing 5 hour experience rather than for a so-so 100 hour one.

I'm also floored by how good a new PS2 release can be this far into the PS3/360 cycle.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I'm less impressed by how long a cheap game can be, and am much more impressed by how good one can be. There are plenty of cheap and free games that will last you many hundreds of hours (there's an abundant supply of rogue-types on PC and Wii for example), but very few of them are good enough to warrant that much time. I'm someone who'd happily spend $60 for an amazing 5 hour experience rather than for a so-so 100 hour one.

I'm also floored by how good a new PS2 release can be this far into the PS3/360 cycle.

Yea that's the kicker for me. Anyone could have half assed 100 hours of boring crap for a console with relatively no horsepower. But to make not just a compelling gameplay experience but one with so much content on such old hardware is incredible. I may be more addicted to it than I was Fallout 3. It's really just fantastic.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page