Is it possible to have one PS3 and wire it for use in 4 different rooms? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I currently have two PS3 systems. One of them is located in a 3 car garage that I remodeled into a dedicated theater room. The other is in my living room. Why have two PS3's? Well, I wanted to have a Blu Ray player in each room, and I also wanted to be able to enjoy PS3 games in each room. I wanted to do this without having to constantly move my PS3 around.

I'm also interested in having the ability to use this PS3 with a HDTV in my bedroom, and also with a small LCD in my kids room. I started thinking that maybe I could just have 1 PS3 system, and have a switchbox, and run wires in the crawl space above the ceiling to the 3 other rooms. Of course, there are alot of issues to think about when doing something like this. The biggest issue is how far will the bluetooth controller signal travel? If I located the primary PS3 in my living room, then I'm pretty sure the bluetooth controller signal would work in the master bedroom, and the kids bedroom, because both of those bedrooms aren't too far away. Unfortunately, I don't think the bluetooth signal will work all the way to the theater room (garage). So, I'm guessing I'll need to run a USB cable, but if it's longer than a certain distance, you have to have some type of usb repeater or something like that. I'm wondering if that will cause a lag in the button presses for various action games.

As for video/audio, I basically just run long HDMI cables to each room, and have them connected to a switchbox where the PS3 is located, and then just switch it to whichever room I'm using at that time. This creates some issues as well, because I don't have a HDMI capable receiver in the living room, or in the master bedroom. The kids room, I could just run the HDMI right to the TV, and use the crappy TV speakers for the sound.

Anyways, I'm basically just thinking aloud here, and wondering if anybody else has already tried doing something like this, and what kind of success they had, or what kind of issues they ran into that they weren't expecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I currently have two PS3 systems. One of them is located in a 3 car garage that I remodeled into a dedicated theater room. The other is in my living room. Why have two PS3's? Well, I wanted to have a Blu Ray player in each room, and I also wanted to be able to enjoy PS3 games in each room. I wanted to do this without having to constantly move my PS3 around.

Wouldn't it just be much less of a hassle to get an inexpensive BD player for each of the needed rooms. No long wire runs, switches, issues with remotes. Or are you looking for the PS3 game capability too in each TV location? BTW - how is the HT coming. I haven't seen it since you were putting on the finishing touches.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #3 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'm also interested in having the ability to use this PS3 with a HDTV in my bedroom, and also with a small LCD in my kids room. I started thinking that maybe I could just have 1 PS3 system, and have a switchbox, and run wires in the crawl space above the ceiling to the 3 other rooms. Of course, there are alot of issues to think about when doing something like this. The biggest issue is how far will the bluetooth controller signal travel? If I located the primary PS3 in my living room, then I'm pretty sure the bluetooth controller signal would work in the master bedroom, and the kids bedroom, because both of those bedrooms aren't too far away. Unfortunately, I don't think the bluetooth signal will work all the way to the theater room (garage). So, I'm guessing I'll need to run a USB cable, but if it's longer than a certain distance, you have to have some type of usb repeater or something like that. I'm wondering if that will cause a lag in the button presses for various action games.

As for video/audio, I basically just run long HDMI cables to each room, and have them connected to a switchbox where the PS3 is located, and then just switch it to whichever room I'm using at that time. This creates some issues as well, because I don't have a HDMI capable receiver in the living room, or in the master bedroom. The kids room, I could just run the HDMI right to the TV, and use the crappy TV speakers for the sound.

Anyways, I'm basically just thinking aloud here, and wondering if anybody else has already tried doing something like this, and what kind of success they had, or what kind of issues they ran into that they weren't expecting.

I think after 12 feet the USB cable starts to get funky....

Youll spend more money on HDMI cables and USB repeaters and boxes and etc...when you can just buy another PS3

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 View Post

Youll spend more money on HDMI cables and USB repeaters and boxes and etc...when you can just buy another PS3

monoprice or infinitecables.com will help, but you are right if the runs are long enough, it can get pricey. I have one machine shared to 3 rooms, but longest run was 35'. I have no issues with the controllers working, actually I'm slowly using bluetooth for everything now as it's better then RF for some things.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What you want is entirely possible, there are plenty of cheap HDMI splitters out there.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1x21x4hdspwi.html

I'm not sure how you would deal with the rooms with no HDMI input though, either get an HDMI receiver for each or use a component matrix switch/splitter instead.

Me personally, I would probably keep both PS3s. Keep the one in your theater room hooked up via HDMI, where fidelity matters most and you can access the PCM/lossless soundtracks, etc.

While also using something like this:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4coviaudiam.html

to send component to the other three rooms. Unless the tvs have a digital input, you'll probably be stuck with analog audio though. Unless those rooms have a receiver, not just an HDMI one? In that case, get a splitter that has support for digital audio. You can send component over Cat 5 baluns, mini RG6, or just use a long cable as well.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Bluetooth will take you ~30ft.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Wouldn't it just be much less of a hassle to get an inexpensive BD player for each of the needed rooms. No long wire runs, switches, issues with remotes. Or are you looking for the PS3 game capability too in each TV location? BTW - how is the HT coming. I haven't seen it since you were putting on the finishing touches.

In the bedroom, it would be primarily for Blu Ray use. In the kids bedroom, for games. I could get a cheapo blu ray player for the bedroom, and then just have a two way HDMI splitter and share the living room PS3 with the kids bedroom lcd. As for the home theater setup, unfortunately, it really hasn't changed much since you last saw it. I still need to finish up the last 10 percent of the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 View Post

Well, if I could get a PS3 for $199.99, I'd rather just buy another one, but it will be a few years before that happens. HDMI cables aren't as much as you might think if you look at places like Monoprice. I haven't really checked to see how much the really long HDMI cables are though....

One thing I'm also wondering about is handshake issues. I've heard with really long HDMI runs, your chances of having handshake issues are increased significantly.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Watch the specials. I got my second PS3 at WalMart for $399, they gave me a $100 gift card that I promptly used on gas (which I'd have bought anyway), and I got a $100 credit on my Sony card for spending over $299 on a PS3. Net cost - $199.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page