PS3 won't stay on when playing disc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a refurbed PS3 (had blinking red light of death problem 10 months ago) and now this unit won't stay on for more than 15 minutes if I try to play a game or watch a movie.

Anyone have this problem and know of a solution (other than paying ANOTHER $149 for another refurb unit)?

Could a complete restore (Settings->System Settings->Restore PS3) fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rob

PS Network Name: radckh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Is it out in the open with good airflow in a cool room?
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Not usually (it is usually in a cabinet that does not have a glass front and has a decent hole in the back for the cables and ventilation), but I tried it on top of my cabinet and still had the same problem.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-19-2009, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

No one else has ever had this problem?!?

I did the quick restore and I thought it made things better as I was able to plat COD for 30 minutes yesterday without the PS3 shutting off. But my son played FIFA this morning and the PS3 shut off after 10 minutes. Im going to try the full restore if I can get the PS3 to stay on for a couple minutes to see if that helps.

Still hoping someone has seen or heard of this problem and might have a solution that doesn't put me out ANOTHER $149!

post #5 of 7 Old 06-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post

No one else has ever had this problem?!?

I did the quick restore and I thought it made things better as I was able to plat COD for 30 minutes yesterday without the PS3 shutting off. But my son played FIFA this morning and the PS3 shut off after 10 minutes. Im going to try the full restore if I can get the PS3 to stay on for a couple minutes to see if that helps.

Still hoping someone has seen or heard of this problem and might have a solution that doesn't put me out ANOTHER $149!

Really sounds like a heat issue to me. The next time it cuts off, check the system for local areas of heat build up. You can also try to experiment. Let it sit long enough to be completely cooled off (several hours). Set it up (temporarily) in an area that's wide open, and then position a strong fan to maximize air circulation around it (get fresh air to it, and help push the heated exhaust air way). Start it up, and play. If it stay's on notably longer that way, you can probably say its a heat related problem. What SKU (model) do you have?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

One of the last fw updates had a power settings feature, you might look in that area and see if it's set to shut off after a period of time.

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
post #7 of 7 Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince2909 View Post

One of the last fw updates had a power settings feature, you might look in that area and see if it's set to shut off after a period of time.

I think that setting only works when the console is inactive. If you are comfortable taking apart electronics you can remove the heatsinks and redo the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver, that should definitely help.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page