PS3 graphic glitch, anomaly or,.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ok, I've noticed for a while these types of glitch in Assasin's Creed, Resident Evil 5 and Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
I haven't noticed these in other games that I've owned.

Here is a screenshot I took from my cell:

Is there anything I can do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
could be wrong but, looks like "screen-tearing"
post #3 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I though I'd ask here. Some have told it wasn't screen tearing. I just want to make sure.
If it is screen tearing, well I know there is nothing to do about it.
In Assasins Creed, these are everywhere and makes it unplayable.
I had a friend over and he wanted to check out some of the games that I had and these were everywhere and annoying.
post #4 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I don't think that's screen tearing. That looks like some texture abnormality in the graphics rendering.

If you are getting that on multiple games but not all, I would say the graphics part of your PS3 might be faulty or failing. The only advice I can think of is to turn off the PS3 via the rear power switch, or unplug the unit overnight. I doubt it would do anything, but sometimes strange things have a way of working themselves out -- albeit usually temporarily.

Good luck!
post #5 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Its not screen tearing, as others have said. I have seen this on occasion, but not lately. It is odd....

PSN: UndeadREDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It could also just be overheating maybe blow some dust out of it. However I heard that may void your warranty.
post #7 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Air canned spray might work then?
post #8 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM

Liked: 832
If the unit is under warranty, I'd see if they might replace it / take a look. Could be anything from a temporary normal glitch, to the GFX component going. If it's the latter, better to have it replaced while you can.
post #9 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

unfortunatly, it's out of warranty. It's a 20GB launch unit.
post #10 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Liked: 10
I also have a 20gig and have gotten this before; at which point I freaked and started to check my system. I play with head phones on so I can't hear much outside noise; As sson as I took my head phones off I heard my PS3 was in Super Duper 747 take-off mode; I turned the system off and Installed 2 CPU case fans in the back of my entertainment center and hooked them directly to a AC adapter from Radio Shack. Since then I have only ran into this problem one other time 'Thank God' when my AC was broke and my 1 bedroom apartment was like 97, I turned the PS3 on and played for about 45 min; then had to shut it off; So basically my question is; How is your ventilation; Mine experiance seemed to be related to HEAT; My ventilation sucked but is now way better; see link below for pics of my install.

Ahhhh, 20gigs are so Sexy in all Black.

PM me if you need help finding materials; I link you to exactly what I got.

PSN Network: RoguishClyde
Dark Souls; I LOVE YOU!!!!
post #11 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help, My ps3 has more open air and more ventilated. It's sitting on the top of the Entertaiment set, next to the TV.
post #12 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't really tell from your earlier statements, but does this occur on multiple games? That would be a strong indication of whether it's PS3 or AC related.
post #13 of 40 Old 06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclayton View Post

could be wrong but, looks like "screen-tearing"

It's absolutely not screen tearing.

Those pictured above are the kinds of graphical glitches you see when a PC's GPU is fried/frying. AC hasn't been known to have those kinds of errors (though Fallout 3 has). If it's happening in other games, it's probably the PS3.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #14 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoguishClyde View Post

I also have a 20gig and have gotten this before; at which point I freaked and started to check my system. I play with head phones on so I can't hear much outside noise; As sson as I took my head phones off I heard my PS3 was in Super Duper 747 take-off mode; I turned the system off and Installed 2 CPU case fans in the back of my entertainment center and hooked them directly to a AC adapter from Radio Shack. Since then I have only ran into this problem one other time 'Thank God' when my AC was broke and my 1 bedroom apartment was like 97, I turned the PS3 on and played for about 45 min; then had to shut it off; So basically my question is; How is your ventilation; Mine experiance seemed to be related to HEAT; My ventilation sucked but is now way better; see link below for pics of my install.

Ran into the same situation myself. Unfortunately, I could not alleviate the problem fully. Was definitely heat related, and eventually my launch 60GB unit's RSX bit the dust. Strangely, the rest of the system still worked (I could verify this through audio feedback). MaxDam77, there may be a $150 service call in your future, I'm afraid. Was worth it, IMO, as I refuse to give up my fully featured launch unit.
post #15 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did the "vacccum dust cleaning" yesterday. I didn't want to do the one that you press the eject button for the fan to go at full speed.
God my PS3 was dusty.
I tested with few other games that I have: COD4, KZ2, MGS4, GT5P and no sign of this glitch or anomaly, and i played for a couple of hours each.
I played Oblivion for a couple of hours too and at some time it did it for a short amount of time and disapeared when I went to another area and never came back.
I played some fifa09 and it went fine also. After all my test.
I've unplugged my PS3 and let it there the whole night. I'll see if it keeps doing it. And I will check again with AC and RE5 where these anomalies were the worst.
post #16 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Those pictured above are the kinds of graphical glitches you see when a PC's GPU is fried/frying.

Yes. Having been a longtime GPU overclocker on the PC, I can say that particular anomaly is a sign of overheating. It's not necessarily damaging to the equipment to a large degree. When you start seeing random square blocks of different sizes appear on screen, then that's when you should really start to worry.
post #17 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So is calling sony and 150us the only solution to it?
post #18 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If all the heat-reducing methods on your end doesn't completely resolve the problem, then I would call Sony.
post #19 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks, I did the vaccum like I mentioned, I bought Air spray and I will try it later on.
If after that, it is still doing it,...well I will call sony.

Thanks everyone for your help!
post #20 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

Ok thanks, I did the vaccum like I mentioned, I bought Air spray and I will try it later on.
If after that, it is still doing it,...well I will call sony.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I forgot to mention, while you still have full system functionality, back up your game saves. Unfortunately, it makes you copy them one at a time, but it will be worth it should the worst happen. After the initial copy, keeping your game save backups up to date once a week is pretty easy. You may also want to do a complete system backup if you have an external drive with enough free space. Even with a full backup, however, I would still definitely do a manual copy of the save games on a separate drive or flash based media. Simply because the backup may go smoothly, but fail to restore. Since there's no backup verification tool you wouldn't know until its too late.
post #21 of 40 Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had this exact problem before last week's YLOD. I opened up my ps3 to get the disc out & it was full of dust. Vacuuming isn't enough -- you need to break out your screwdriver set & thoroughly clean it. I sure wish I had!!
post #22 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I had this exact problem before last week's YLOD. I opened up my ps3 to get the disc out & it was full of dust. Vacuuming isn't enough -- you need to break out your screwdriver set & thoroughly clean it. I sure wish I had!!

I had the YLOD but fortunatly for me, it cameback to life the next day. But I will try to open it and clean it see if it is that dusty. Must be, it's being two years since I have my PS3.

I'll keep you informed

Thanks
post #23 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:

I had the YLOD but fortunatly for me, it cameback to life the next day. But I will try to open it and clean it see if it is that dusty. Must be, it's being two years since I have my PS3.

I'll keep you informed

Thanks

If you had the YLOD, then this is deff a sign that the RSX is on it's way out.

Seems most RSX failures are due to overheating issues, as I've seen boards that had visible heat marks/scolding where it is. Reflowing it will temporarily fix the YLOD issue, so maybe something of the like happened naturally to you.

Funny enough, it doesn't seem to be an issue so much with design, but an issue caused by dust buildup / poor airflow. And we all know that the PS3 is a dust magnet.

post #24 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 117
definitely heat related. I had this happen to my first 360, then it RROD a week later
post #25 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

If you had the YLOD, then this is deff a sign that the RSX is on it's way out.

Seems most RSX failures are due to overheating issues, as I've seen boards that had visible heat marks/scolding where it is. Reflowing it will temporarily fix the YLOD issue, so maybe something of the like happened naturally to you.

Funny enough, it doesn't seem to be an issue so much with design, but an issue caused by dust buildup / poor airflow. And we all know that the PS3 is a dust magnet.

Thanks for you reply. I'm still about the send it to repair soon or later so anyways, I have nothing to lose, should I try the infamous "FAN TEST" lol?
post #26 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks for you reply. I'm still about the send it to repair soon or later so anyways, I have nothing to lose, should I try the infamous "FAN TEST" lol?

Go for it. The test doesn't hurt it like many claim, and it might help clearing it out.

Since it's out of warranty, you might even want to open it up and dust it out. Just be careful to ground yourself / don't produce any static shocks. Sony should still repair it at a cost, as long as you don't do any abusive damage to it from opening it.

Other then that, make weekly backups of any important files you have on it (especially game saves), and wait it out.
post #27 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Go for it. The test doesn't hurt it like many claim, and it might help clearing it out.

Since it's out of warranty, you might even want to open it up and dust it out. Just be careful to ground yourself / don't produce any static shocks. Sony should still repair it at a cost, as long as you don't do any abusive damage to it from opening it.

Other then that, make weekly backups of any important files you have on it (especially game saves), and wait it out.

Will do! thanks
post #28 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I did the "fan test" & imo it isn't that effective at removing the dust considering how much was still in there when I eventually opened it up. I was wary of opening up my ps3 too, but it really isn't all that difficult & I'll be doing annual maintenance from now on. In hind sight, doing the "fan test" was an unnecessy risk & could have contributed to my ps3's early demise.

Oh, and btw, it looked more like pet dander rather than dust. You don't happen to have a have a dog, do you?
post #29 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I was wary of opening up my ps3 too, but it really isn't all that difficult & I'll be doing annual maintenance from now on.

Any pics of the process, and things to be aware of?
post #30 of 40 Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have any pics but youtube has a bunch of vids. Just remove the "warranty void" sticker & the little rubber cover it hides. Take out the torx screw that's revealed & the lid will slide off. Remove the philips screws on top & the upper half of the body will come off. Before you remove it though, reach underneath & separate the media card unit. You can then clean your ps3. When putting it back together, make sure the metal bracket the torx screw attaches to is in place.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page