3-D effect firmware update for PS3, help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I have a Samsung 46" Series 7 1080p 120 hz (LN46A750) TV. That I bought half a year ago. This TV has a 3D like effect feature, that works with certain Bluray movies like Transformers (specially done by the film makers, for certain movies) using a bluray player. You dont need any special glasses or any special outlined colors on the image shown on the tv..... you see the 3D effect with the naked eye.
When watching that same Transformers bluray on a different HDTV or using a PS3 as opposed to an actual Bluray player, it just looks normal (of course it still looks good). Because the PS3 does not have the ability to display that 3D like effect. I read that there is a firmware update out for the 3D effect. I updated my PS3 firmware to version 2.80 but I didnt see any 3D effect when watching Transformers... is there a specific way to set up the PS3 in order for the 3D effect to work? Please help

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Currently the PS3 does not have a 3D feature. They can add a version of it in a future firmware update, though nothing has been formally announced. No doubt nothing will be announced until a consumer market 3D standard is agreed upon by the industry, so there aren't a half dozen different 3D techs floating around.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hey joeblow
Thanks for the info. so you know what im talking about thou right? In regards to the 3D effect with the movie Transformer on bluray. Ive been looking all around about this but its very hard and not many people know about it, they get confused with the specially made 3D movies that you need glasses for. Do you know where I can find more info and what other movies, like transformers bluray, that have the 3D effect and which bluray players can display the 3D effect? (I bought a LG 370c bluray player but for some reason it wasnt showing the 3d effect for transformers).
post #4 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Your original post said the 3D option was a feature of your TV itself. If this is the case, it should work regardless of the player you are using unless, possibly, this option doesn't work for certain A/V sources such as HDMI.

I'd recommend you read your TV Owners Manual if this is a TV feature.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger View Post

Your original post said the 3D option was a feature of your TV itself. If this is the case, it should work regardless of the player you are using unless, possibly, this option doesn't work for certain A/V sources such as HDMI.

I'd recommend you read your TV Owners Manual if this is a TV feature.

The Tv will give out what it is given. PS3 does not display the 3D effect feature.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The TV needs a kit

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218027350624

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/3-d_dlp_hdtv.aspx

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #7 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
The last time we heard any substantial info on the upcoming 3D ability for the PS3 (games and movies), I posted on it in this thread.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #8 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...98#post9510898

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #9 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 PM

What is this "3D effect feature" you speak of?

It sounds more like a motion control (can't think of Samsung's name for it) or dejutter thing. You probably have it set to high.

This is kind of funny, though. Do you really think part of the Transformers Blu-Ray is in 3D? Do you own a standalone 3D Blu-Ray player? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how do you think this would work (i.e., what is the decoding the "3D") that you think you see?

EDIT: Just read the link above. Apparently I'm an idiot ... though I still don't think Transformers Blu-Ray is in 3D.

post #10 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapaj View Post

The Tv will give out what it is given. PS3 does not display the 3D effect feature.

Right. So then I totally don't understand your question. Your TV does not create the 3D effect and neither does the PS3. In that case are you just asking when it will be supported?

If that is the question, it is definitely not currently supported and will not be supported in firmware 3.0 which comes out Sept 1 either.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTso View Post

What is this "3D effect feature" you speak of?

It sounds more like a motion control (can't think of Samsung's name for it) or dejutter thing. You probably have it set to high.

This is kind of funny, though. Do you really think part of the Transformers Blu-Ray is in 3D? Do you own a standalone 3D Blu-Ray player? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how do you think this would work (i.e., what is the decoding the "3D") that you think you see?

EDIT: Just read the link above. Apparently I'm an idiot ... though I still don't think Transformers Blu-Ray is in 3D.

I'm 90% sure that what he is taking about is the SOE. Soap Opera Effect. It is generated by the 120Hz tv using a motion control (motionflow, cinemotion, ect.) whereby the tv interpolates and inserts frames into the visual sequence creating the illusion of a smoother picture. The side effect...you feel like your watching something in 3D, almost as if you were on the set.

Interestingly the feature only gives the 3D effect when there is much spatial difference in the visual composition of the picture. Ie, when there deffinately is foreground and backgroud. So it is not really visible to all on all images.

So..since it's a feature that you generally have to turn on by input of the TV, I would venture to guess the OP didn't turn it on for the PS3 input. I can vouch fo him - Transformers has an awsome illusion of 3D (SOE) on BD and can readily be seen on my Sony LCD paired with the PS3. So the OP likely needs to correct a setting.

Furthermore...since this is likely a TV isolated issue, you (OP) might be better off asking this question in the dedicated thread to your TV line in the TV forums.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #12 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

I'm 90% sure that what he is taking about is the SOE. Soap Opera Effect.

I did also originally suspect he was referring to SOE (which I am familiar with) but after I suggested he RTFM he ambiguously replied the following after originally asking how he setup his PS3 to do 3D.

Quote:

post #13 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Saw that SOE for Transformers on a new LCD at Sam's Club recently. It was quite startling and made me a little upset that my setup doesn't do that with Transformers. But I can still survive without, because after all, it was Transformers.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #14 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

Saw that SOE for Transformers on a new LCD at Sam's Club recently. It was quite startling and made me a little upset that my setup doesn't do that with Transformers. But I can still survive without, because after all, it was Transformers.

Some people love it and some hate it. I'm in the love camp!

post #15 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys..... it is a hard one considering not many people are aware of this. When I saw the 3D effect for the first time on display at future shop I was blown away, totally different experience compared to other HDTVs in the store. When the camera zooms into Bumblebee's face it felt as if you could reach in and touch it. you could see the roundness of his head and the depth, simply amazing.
I guess I will have to ask people with my tv hopefully they will have more experience.

anyways... many months ago I was told that the PS3 doesnt do that 3D effect. A few days ago I read old posts in forums talking about firmware that would be released that would add on that 3D effect feature. And I did more digging into it and noticed at the present time the firmware has been released so I installed it to my PS3 but unfortunetely I didnt notice a difference, so I was wondering if there is a certain way to configure the system settings.

I know what you mean guys but The soap opera effect doesnt even come close to the 3D effect Im talking about.....its a totally different and amazing experience.
However my tv does do the SOE for standard definition videos as well.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

I'm lost. If you're not talking about the soap opera effect then what is it? 3D in any form currently isn't possible without a compliant display, special glasses, and 3D source material (and there currently aren't any movies on BD or DVD or PS3 games that support 3D). There is talk that the PS3 will receive a firmware update in the future to support stereoscopic 3D in a number of games but that's not likely until compliant displays become more prevalent and affordable on the market.

So you're obviously not seeing true 3D. Describe how it looks please because what you're describing sounds like a 120hz motion interpolation effect.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapaj View Post

When I saw the 3D effect for the first time on display at future shop

Okay, stop there. My advice then would be to go back to that Future Shop store and find out:

1) What HDTV it was
2) What Player it was
3) The marketing name of the feature which creates the "3D" effect

And get back to us. =)
post #18 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm also guessing that you're referring to de-judder processing.

Samsung = AMP
Sony = MotionFlow
LG = TruMotion
post #19 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger View Post

Okay, stop there. My advice then would be to go back to that Future Shop store and find out:

1) What HDTV it was
2) What Player it was
3) The marketing name of the feature which creates the "3D" effect

And get back to us. =)

I googled the TV (LN46A750) and all it has that would give it 3D look is Auto Motion Plus aka AMP which is Samsung's version of 120 hz frame interpolation. The OP must be mistaken. His TV is not listed at capable of 3D ready technology. Again, I'm willing to bet he doesn't have the AMP at the right setting on his PS3 input.

post #20 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe de-judder is when it displays each frame the same number of times instead of doing 3:2 pulldown. On a 120hz TV, it would display each of the 24 frames 5 times, so with each letter representing a frame you'd have A,A,A,A,A, then B,B,B,B,B and so on. The result is the appearance of displaying 24 frames per second. On "regular" TVs, it has to fit into 60hz, so it will go like A,A,A, then B,B, then C,C,C, then D,D, and so on. The result is judder caused by the uneven cadence.

This effect people are talking about, which is common on 120hz TVs but optional, derives fake frames by looking at two successive frames and inserting a frame for the difference between them. This effect is created solely by the TV, not the source, but some people have been led to believe it is due to the BD format itself, because it often happens to be demonstrated along with BD playback. The same thing can be used with DVD, or even games (although with games you'd get input lag, since it has to wait for the next frame to know what to display in between).
post #21 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

I believe de-judder is when it displays each frame the same number of times instead of doing 3:2 pulldown. On a 120hz TV, it would display each of the 24 frames 5 times, so with each letter representing a frame you'd have A,A,A,A,A, then B,B,B,B,B and so on. The result is the appearance of displaying 24 frames per second. On "regular" TVs, it has to fit into 60hz, so it will go like A,A,A, then B,B, then C,C,C, then D,D, and so on. The result is judder caused by the uneven cadence.

This effect people are talking about, which is common on 120hz TVs but optional, derives fake frames by looking at two successive frames and inserting a frame for the difference between them. This effect is created solely by the TV, not the source, but some people have been led to believe it is due to the BD format itself, because it often happens to be demonstrated along with BD playback. The same thing can be used with DVD, or even games (although with games you'd get input lag, since it has to wait for the next frame to know what to display in between).

Exactly this.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 PM

So, basically, this thread is from an idjits (since I'm new I won't be more stearn) who has come up with his own name -- "3D Effect" -- based on what he thinks he sees and apparently has neither bothered to read the manual, his TV's official board or any of our responses?

I officially take back the comment calling myself an idiot. I thought the thread in post #8 talked about this TV's "3D" feature, but it was just 3D in general. OP, you may want to do some research and READING yourself and not listen to friends or sales clerks so much, especially when it comes to technology. There will come a time you'll figure out that most people are idiots and EVERYTHING that comes out of someone else's mouth should be taken with a grain of salt.

"3D Effect" that's mutually exclusive from SOEand neither motion control or dejudder ... LOL.

I guess this is a feature that has been lurking in TVs unnoticed for awhile.

post #23 of 24 Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

post #24 of 24 Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 AM

I have the a650 it is infact the amp that he is talking about and as the link will so the ps3 is working on 3d material... Hope its good.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page