Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 129
HARD DRIVE INSTALLS

Like the 360, run games from the hard drive. Sure it takes a few mins to install it, but it saves our lasers BIG TIME. Given the cost to replace the darn lasers or pay sony to do it, I'll gladly wait for however long it takeas to install a game to the hd. And with the Sony allowing us to install our own hd's, space is never an issue.

I know some complain about waiting for fifteen mins to install a game....god forbid, but think of it this way. In Canada, the laser is over 100 bucks shipped.. Sony repair was 170. Even if it took you 30 mins or more to install the game, most games are around the 10 hour mark and games like fallout or online games like Killzone could have you running in the hundreds of hours where your little blu ray laser never stops for a break.

It's a no brainer. HD installs are a must, and with Sony not backing their system up with a decent warranty, this is a no cost way to avoid laser issues in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh boy, another thread that is about wanting a 360 feature on the PS3. *holds the door open for all the trolls*
post #3 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Sony, please give us HD installs like the 360

I doubt that Sony is actively watching this forum for feature requests. I guess it would be a nice feature to have though.

BRB, going to make some popcorn for this thread...
post #4 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM

got a question. When you say you can DL games on the HD...Lets say I have madden 10... How would I do that??? Would I buy it off live? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
post #5 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

nice little rant, Sony allows non-oem drives yet has no install game feature while the 360 has the feature and proprietary hard drives that cost WAAAAAY more than they should...

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #6 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla View Post

got a question. When you say you can DL games on the HD...Lets say I have madden 10... How would I do that??? Would I buy it off live? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

He means that the console would copy most of the data over to the hard drive. You'd still need to insert the disc when you play, but most of the data would be read from the hard drive instead of the disc, which would save on the usage of the laser.

Some games kind of already do this, and I wonder if they would then have duplicate data, since the game installation might have to go in a different place.
post #7 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Liked: 832
Not against it, as I'm all for it with my 500GB $75 drive; but what makes you think all lens are faulty and will break before the life time of the system is up?

I still have a PS1 & 2 and their drives work fine. A bad batch sucks, but doesn't mean much over the number of consoles sold. Hard drives are also mechanical, and most likely have higher fail rates then optical drives mind you.

[MGS4 damn you btw! You should have an all, or some option!]
post #8 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla View Post

Not all game can be DLded, only some can ( Burnout Paradise, Wipeout HD,..)

Check in the PS store to see all the PS3 games you can d/ld. If I remember correctly, only Burnout Paradise is both on blu ray AND PSN.
post #9 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Check in the PS store to see all the PS3 games you can d/ld. If I remember correctly, only Burnout Paradise is both on blu ray AND PSN.

Think you missed the point.

He's requesting PC like installations of BD games, like you can do on a 360 w/ a HDD. Not a bad request, but not because of the reason above.
post #10 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

and with Sony not backing their system up with a decent warranty

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #11 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Add Warhawk and SOCOM: Confrontation.
post #12 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait I thought Xboxes didn't have harddrives...

But seriously... NO! I'm already at 70/80 gigs full and I only have like 8 or so PSN games!
post #13 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How would you pull this off? Especially if some games take up 20+gb of space on a disc (particularly because of multi-language, uncompressed audio)?
post #14 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Do NOT want.

Considering I would still have to get off my lazy azz to put the disc in, it's not really buying me anything (other then a second or two quicker load time...but I still need time to get my lazy azz back to the couch).

In my opinion, this option was necessary on the 360 as that dang thing sounds like it's going to take off (or explode) whenever a disc is spinning in it. The PS3 does not have this issue (at least neither of mine do).

post #15 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HARD DRIVE INSTALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Oh boy, another thread that is about wanting a 360 feature on the PS3. *holds the door open for all the trolls*

I think this is a reasonable wish. I actually agree with this. I wouldn't mind full HD installs but having to have the game disc in the drive (like what a lot of computer games do). Not only would it save the laser but it might make load times even faster.

Just to clarify, I think this should be an OPTION. So those who didn't have enough HD space left wouldn't have to worry but those who wanted installs and bought a bigger drive could have it.

In reality, though, this sort of thing is really up to the developers to implement rather than Sony. Although I suppose Sony could encourage devs to do it.
post #16 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I suppose it would be a neat option, but I'm not going to write to sony about it.
post #17 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

Wait I thought Xboxes didn't have harddrives...

But seriously... NO! I'm already at 70/80 gigs full and I only have like 8 or so PSN games!

You can get 500BG for ~$75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

How would you pull this off? Especially if some games take up 20+gb of space on a disc (particularly because of multi-language, uncompressed audio)?

It only be optional. MGS seems to play strait off the drive as is, only difference would be a gigantic 20 single install, instead of the mini ones between acts replacing data over and over. Those with smaller drives have the option of both, or neither [streaming]
post #18 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The difference between the 360 and the PS3 is the media. A Blu Ray can be up to 30 Gigs, just for one game.

No thanks. I'll let the devs decide how much to install and when to decrease loading times.
post #19 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger View Post

I think this is a reasonable wish. I actually agree with this. I wouldn't mind full HD installs but having to have the game disc in the drive (like what a lot of computer games do). Not only would it save the laser but it might make load times even faster.

Just to clarify, I think this should be an OPTION. So those who didn't have enough HD space left wouldn't have to worry but those who wanted installs and bought a bigger drive could have it.

In reality, though, this sort of thing is really up to the developers to implement rather than Sony. Although I suppose Sony could encourage devs to do it.

It depends on how they do it. If they wanted it to work with the existing games, they could have the console transfer the contents of a disc to the hard drive as an image. When you launch a game, it would set up a virtual drive, mount that image, and make the game read from there instead of the disc. It would just have to check that the disc is in the BD drive before launching the game. They'd also have to make it so that the game shuts down if you eject the disc, if it's not that way already.

The problem, however, is that games that already store data on the hard drive would have to store that along with the image. That would use a lot more space in some cases, but I would just choose not to install those.
post #20 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I am the only one that finds the humor in this thread? We go from people bitching about having to do partial installs on games to people bitching because we can't do full installs on games. I couldn't care less about full installs as I am a patient person and unless the performance of the games are significantly improved (I don't mean save a few seconds here or there on a loading screen) it seems like it'd be a big waste of time and space. Whatever floats others boats though, if they do end up doing it just make it optional.
post #21 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

first Sony doesn't live here
second:

Sony please do not give us anything that is like the 360
post #22 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Xbox360s use DVDs - Dual Layer at most... that's 4.7 to 9.4 gbs
PS3s use Blu-rays - Dual Layer at most... that's 25 to 50 gbs

It's easier for the 360 to have this feature considering their games fit on a smaller media to begin with.

For the PS3, this should, at the very least, be an option as someone already stated. Not something that I really want but I think I'd make use of it if it were there.
post #23 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Screw the X360's under-developed solution as it would do nothing to address the main reason I'd like hard drive installs. Instead, I prefer the PC's solution... for many titles you can install the full game and play them without having to put the disc in the machine each and every time.

Both my PC and PS3 are hooked up to my 60" HDTV, and it is great being able to select PC games without going to my computer to change discs. The PS3 of course has this working fine for PSN games, but a universal option for full installs of discs WITHOUT being forced to have the disc in place like the X360 would be ideal. If that's not possible (Blu-ray GBs ftw), I'm fine with the system as-is.

The MGS4 process however is the dumbest by far. Re-installing the game several times each and every play through?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #24 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

second:

Sony please do not give us anything that is like the 360

congradulations on winning fanboy quote of the year!!!
post #25 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Screw the X360's under-developed solution as it would do nothing to address the main reason I'd like hard drive installs. Instead, I prefer the PC's solution... for many titles you can install the full game and play them without having to put the disc in the machine each and every time.

Both my PC and PS3 are hooked up to my 60" HDTV, and it is great being able to select PC games without going to my computer to change discs. The PS3 of course has this working fine for PSN games, but a universal option for full installs of discs WITHOUT being forced to have the disc in place like the X360 would be ideal. If that's not possible (Blu-ray GBs ftw), I'm fine with the system as-is.

The MGS4 process however is the dumbest by far. Re-installing the game several times each and every play through?

Actually, that would be retarded, as everyone knows why you have to have the disc in the drive (it's so obvious, I'm not even going to type it). It's not an "under-developed" solution.
post #26 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's under-developed for the reason I'd want hard drive installs. The PC has the perfect solution IMHO, and absent of that, installs requiring the physical game to be in the machine is not enough to me.

post #27 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 129
only a few ps3 games are actually using the blu ray's insane storage amount, and if it did take 30 mins to install it, whoopie, it saves the laser. The first time you guys have to pay for a repair, you'll remember this thread.

MGS is one of the few exceptions here, as it is obviously ginormous with it's cool movies and all. That being said, once it was all installed, there would be no major load times ever again. Right now, correct me if I'm wrong but if you load up an old save, it has to copy everything on tht level to the HD again. Load up another save, and it installs that level and so on. Thats more of a pita to me.

installs from the HD would obviously be optional, as it is on the 360. You don't want to use it, no problem

But, faster load times (the blu ray is slow), quieter system operation, less heat from drive not spinning, and no laser constantly in use are all GOOD things. Can't see why anyone would not want to use it. First thing I do with my xbox now is install game to hd. Yes the xbox games are smaller , but so are the hard drives. We can stick whatever we want in the playstation so hd space is a non issue really.

I don't think we will ever see an option to install a game to hd and not require the disc to be in the drive. You could rent games and just install them and never need the game disc again.

as for the laser being reliable....look around, they aren't on either system. Gone through two on my xbox's, and now two on my ps3, and the sony forums are full of laser issues. Games nowadays stress the laser far more then previous consoles at faster speeds and more data being transfered and streamed.

Like I said, wait until you lose a laser....then lets talk.
post #28 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My launch PSOne's laser still works fine 15 years after I bought it without having any install features whatsoever. Almost ten years of use from my launch PS2, and the Dreamcast is alive and kicking as well. Save the fire and brimstone sermons about eventual doom... not all machines have a history of breaking down to be overly concerned about.

post #29 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

My launch PSOne's laser still works fine 15 years after I bought it without having any install features whatsoever. Almost ten years of use from my launch PS2, and the Dreamcast is alive and kicking as well. Save the fire and brimstone sermons about eventual doom... not all machines have a history of breaking down to be overly concerned about.

that may be true but none of those systems have the failure rate that the ps3 has..
post #30 of 93 Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I see, you have a link verifying that? It may or may not be true, but if you have hard info I'd like to see it.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page