post #91 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

I will keep playing with it to see if I get anywhere before I send it out, however, I went out and picked up a slim today................3.0 worked fine on it!

Did you check for static electricity?

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Wow this thread really took off! Well, I still think that I am SOL on my 60gb, however, I was playing around with it to show a friend the issue and for whatever reason I decided to hold the eject button for a little while, the bluray drive spun up, the blue light flashed and then it came up to a menu and said that my hard drive was corrupt and needed to be formatted. I let it format, it rebooted back to the same black screen, however, I can access the recovery menu again. I started to get excited thinking that I may actually get a working system again, however, none of the options work. If I pick option 3, it flashes the hard drive light a few times and black screen, I even let it sit for awhile. The system restore option states that the hard drive is "incorrect". I changed out hard drives and same error. If I try the firmware option, it finds it on my thumb drive, but throws an error to call tech support.

I will keep playing with it to see if I get anywhere before I send it out, however, I went out and picked up a slim today................3.0 worked fine on it!

hmm sounds like your hard drive is corrupt
post #93 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Did you check for static electricity?

Brandon

FW 3.4 will introduce magnetism

post #94 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

FW 3.4 will introduce magnetism

FW 3.5 will check for magnetism

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #95 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

For everyone else: Sure there can be problems with FW updates, and even system failures caused by a variety of reasons related, or not, to the update. Sony can only go after specific problems that their testers can re-create, like the game freeze and controller lockout. A system failure is so general and can involve so many variables that they can't test for it. So that means Sony can't say "hey, we know about the failures with 3.0 and will send out a fix" because there is no specific cause they can re-create.

Does anyone get the feeling Sony might have rushed out this firmware to coincide with the Slim launch. Maybe enough testing/bug fixing wasn't done this time round.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #96 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 29
This is why I will not turn on my PS3. I think this is the safest approach.

(I may have to take the plunge, however, once Hannah Montana arrives!)

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #97 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish they'd be more specific with what they're trying to fix for us post-3.0. My system locks up on every Bluray movie I play in it since the update. I tested a dozen of them just tonight and every one of them locks up within 10-20 minutes. I'm in the process of a system backup and from there I'll do a fresh format to see if anything is resolved otherwise I go back to Best Buy and try to exchange it (with my supposed PRP) for a new slim if I suspect the drive is going....
post #98 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

I stopped caring about this post when I got my mathematics lesson. It's more broken than a PS3 with a version 3.0 firmware update,

500,000 faulty units / 20,000,000 total units = .025 faulty /1 total *100 = 2.5% faulty/total

2.5% > 1%

End of math lesson.

Well, it at least shows that you have some skills other than arguing.

Guess next time I will be more specific, but it is always nice to have a math professor on hand to help.

Thanks,

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #99 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

I dont know where the numbers came from...I wasnt the one who made them up. I was simply making light of someone coming into a thread like this, obviously making up numbers to prove their own point, and then making mathematically incorrect statistics from those numbers.

I do think FW 3.0 is causing problems...that's that.

To tell you the truth, the numbers I posted was more of a guess, so they aren't actual, as I was trying to make a point that with all the PS3 sold, I don't think we have seen even half a million users post problems. That was the point I was making, but hey, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Brian Garner
-----------
post #100 of 170 Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

This is why I will not turn on my PS3. I think this is the safest approach.

+1

Brandon
post #101 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I have a launch 60GB and was able to update to 3.0 without issue.
But after, my PS3 had more little issues then I could count.
Blu-Ray movies not loading, or loading forever.
Batman AA crashing during game play or not loading.
When it would crash, I would have to completely power off to get it going again.
Well, on Sunday, during Batman AA, it crashed while walking into a new room.
This time, it won't come back on no matter what I do. I guess I have the YLOD.
It turns on, the red light blinks, a quick yellow light, then it happily shuts itself off and blinks the red light.
I could not eject my game disc no matter what I did, even left it off overnight.
I would love to have Sony fix it but I opened it because I wanted to get my new $60 game out of there. Couldn't Sony included a manual eject system???

I replaced it with a new PS3 Slim but it sucks I lost all my saves.

The moral of the story is, I don't think it is a coincidence that this happened shortly after 3.0.

Another moral - do full backups. I got YLOD too and did not have a backup. Instead of sending it to Sony for a refurb, I sent to to a third party repair shop that just re-soldered the RSX. The HDD was fine. First thing I did when I got it back was to do a full backup. I now carry several full backups on an external 160 GB drive.

However, I have no idea if restoring those backups made from a 60GB to a new slim would be successful! I'd be curious if anyone has tried that.

I've heard in other threads that Sony will return your game if it's stuck in the drive, but you won't get your HDD back. You'll get a refurb.
post #102 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Another moral - do full backups. I got YLOD too and did not have a backup. Instead of sending it to Sony for a refurb, I sent to to a third party repair shop that just re-soldered the RSX. The HDD was fine. First thing I did when I got it back was to do a full backup. I now carry several full backups on an external 160 GB drive.

However, I have no idea if restoring those backups made from a 60GB to a new slim would be successful! I'd be curious if anyone has tried that.

I've heard in other threads that Sony will return your game if it's stuck in the drive, but you won't get your HDD back. You'll get a refurb.

If you restore your backup to a different machine you will lose some content, that's what it says in the warning before you backup. Some things will make it over but I'm not sure exactly what. If I were you I would copy any game saves you want separately just in case. Try transferring the backup though, I'm interested to see what makes it over.
post #103 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, now I am convinced that something glitched during the 3.0 update. I posted earlier that I could get back into the recovery menu, but that was it. Well, first thing this morning I tried a power on again, black screen. I proceeded to the recovery menu and chose "restart system"...............and it booted up to version 3.0!!! I played around in the menus for a little bit, I did not try a game or movie, but, thinking it was fixed did a soft power off. It did not boot back up. I tried a brand new HDD, no change. I tried all the restore menu options again, no luck. Finally, I decided to just keep soft powering it on and off, probably 20 times, and bam, back to the standard boot! I am in the process of doing a full system restore. We will see what happens. I figure that if this doesn't work, maybe when the next firmware update comes out, if I can get it to boot again, I can update the firmware and it will re-flash the ROM and fix it.

So again, I think that something glitched during the firmware install and it did not write to the ROM correctly. I don't think its 3.0 that is the issue, but the install itself like several have pointed out here. I will post back when I have news.
post #104 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

If you restore your backup to a different machine you will lose some content, that's what it says in the warning before you backup. Some things will make it over but I'm not sure exactly what. If I were you I would copy any game saves you want separately just in case. Try transferring the backup though, I'm interested to see what makes it over.

I was doing game saves separately, but it's a pain in the ass. Too many games, too many saves (me and my two kids playing several games). That's why I'm doing full backups now. Having to do separate saves negates any usefullness in having a full backup feature.

I only really care about the game saves. I know HD content, demos, and some other stuff may not copy over, but you would think it at least copies basic game save data files. That's a core requirement. Otherwise the full backup feature is useless!

I'd really like to test this out, but I don't have another PS3 machine to try it. I hate the idea of having to "test" this if my current PS3 dies and I need to get a new one.
post #105 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

I was doing game saves separately, but it's a pain in the ass. Too many games, too many saves (me and my two kids playing several games). That's why I'm doing full backups now. Having to do separate saves negates any usefullness in having a full backup feature.

I only really care about the game saves. I know HD content, demos, and some other stuff may not copy over, but you would think it at least copies basic game save data files. That's a core requirement. Otherwise the full backup feature is useless!

I'd really like to test this out, but I don't have another PS3 machine to try it. I hate the idea of having to "test" this if my current PS3 dies and I need to get a new one.

If you're going to restore your data to the same hard drive + same system, then everything that you backed-up will show up. If you're going to restore to the same hard drive + different system then all your saves (sans Rockband 2, Killzone 2 and any other system-tied saves) will show up. All your "personal media" (i.e. your pictures, music and any video content that you put on the hard drive) will show up. Any games/movies that you downloaded off of the PS Store will need to be re-downloaded. Game data will need to be reinstalled (easy to do, just pop the disc in and download the latest patches as prompted and the disc will pre-install any data that it needs to on the hard drive before you can play).

I've done the back-up/restore process 5 times now on different systems. Any other questions?
post #106 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Any other questions?

Yes what are Saturdays Powerball numbers going to be?
post #107 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Yes what are Saturdays Powerball numbers going to be?

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9... they will be in some combination of those numbers and not necessarily in that order.
post #108 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you're going to restore your data to the same hard drive + same system, then everything that you backed-up will show up. If you're going to restore to the same hard drive + different system then all your saves (sans Rockband 2, Killzone 2 and any other system-tied saves) will show up. All your "personal media" (i.e. your pictures, music and any video content that you put on the hard drive) will show up. Any games/movies that you downloaded off of the PS Store will need to be re-downloaded. Game data will need to be reinstalled (easy to do, just pop the disc in and download the latest patches as prompted and the disc will pre-install any data that it needs to on the hard drive before you can play).

I've done the back-up/restore process 5 times now on different systems. Any other questions?

That's great information. Thanks. The actual circumstances for my needing to do a restore would be to restore to a newly purchased Slim using the backup I've made from my current 60GB original. I'm sure the hard drive would be a different size on the slim, but I expect that wouldn't matter.

Hard drives, backup drives, backup and restore software, etc., etc.....I kind of miss the old-school PS2 memory card days. These new consoles are basically computers, and now I'm maintaining yet another computer!
post #109 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Liked: 12
My 60gb has recently started to have issues. Most blu-rays don't even load - it will say invalid disc a lot of times - and Ratchet and Clank will freeze up on me after just a bit. The only one that works mostly is Warhawk. Not sure if it is due to the update or if it is just it's time to die. Either way, it sure is a 2 year, $600.00 bowl of suck thrown in my face.
post #110 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

My 60gb has recently started to have issues. Most blu-rays don't even load - it will say invalid disc a lot of times - and Ratchet and Clank will freeze up on me after just a bit. The only one that works mostly is Warhawk. Not sure if it is due to the update or if it is just it's time to die. Either way, it sure is a 2 year, $600.00 bowl of suck thrown in my face.

I feel your pain. My problem was the GPU. It sounds like you have a failing blue laser. The laser assembly would probably need to be replaced.

Try watching a regular DVD. DVDs will use the red laser.
post #111 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Did you get copy protected saves to move to the new system? I got all my stuff, had to do it a few times to get my profile over, but Demons Souls didnt copy. I tried copying by hand and it is copy protected (extremely lame).

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #112 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Did you get copy protected saves to move to the new system? I got all my stuff, had to do it a few times to get my profile over, but Demons Souls didnt copy. I tried copying by hand and it is copy protected (extremely lame).

Nope, and yes it's lame.

Blame the Dev's, as there's no reason to even C/P a save anymore since you can tie trophies and saves to usernames. Sony really should disable the ability of devs to c/p them, as they use it as a lazy way to avoid additional work.
post #113 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Nope, and yes it's lame.

Blame the Dev's, as there's no reason to even C/P a save anymore since you can tie trophies and saves to usernames. Sony really should disable the ability of devs to c/p them, as they use it as a lazy way to avoid additional work.

I thought I read somewhere that there was trick to copying all files including Copy protected files by doing a backup using a different account and restoring using the same account would get the files back.

I am sure I read the link on this forum somewhere and it was posted by someone that seems respectable, although I remember them saying they didn't try it themselves.

You may want to do a quick search to see if that works.

Brian Garner
-----------
post #114 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
That doesn't work (at least not for me). I barely got my primary account copied over. The protected saves didn't make it.
post #115 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Nope. As long as the saves are tied to the "system" your not going to be able to copy them over. I hope more devs go along the lines of tying the saves to the log-in/user account in the future. Do the devs expect people to take an entire PS3 over to a friends place rather than a memory stick or flash drive?
post #116 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Nope. As long as the saves are tied to the "system" your not going to be able to copy them over. I hope more devs go along the lines of tying the saves to the log-in/user account in the future. Do the devs expect people to take an entire PS3 over to a friends place rather than a memory stick or flash drive?

I don't think they really care. It's much easier to click a check box to copy protect then to implement code to check PSN credentials. Your only recourse is to bug the dev's.

Sometimes it works, like it did with RE5.
post #117 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I have a happy ending to my firmware "problem" and am back to version 2.76...on a PS3 "slim".

I took my ailing system back to Best Buy where they honored my PRP (which was called a PSP on the receipt) without question after hooking it up to their test monitor and seeing that Bluray movies absolutely destroyed the system with massive lockups. The guy behind the counter commented on the number of them coming back "not working" over the last week and a half and partially blamed the FW 3 update. I know, I know....I dont blame the FW by itself but it did break a lot of things for a lot of people...

So the extra $40 I spent on my 40GB spidey package almost 2 years ago got me a PS3 with:

-A new 45nm Cell
-bit streamed HD audio via the new HDMI chipset
-80GB of additional storage
-A Dual Shock controller (I only had Sixaxis so this'll be a "new" experience)
-A Best Buy giftcard for the price difference between the $400 system and the $300 system. (basically I got Uncharted 2 for free)

But the best thing of all is I am back to FW 2.76!

edit: CRAP!

TMNT2 is released on PSN today....what to do?! I guess I can wait a week or two to pick that game up.
post #118 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But the best thing of all is I am back to FW 2.76!

Till you wantta go online

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #119 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Till you wantta go online

I know....TMNT is tempting...
post #120 of 170 Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM

well, you still got the replacement plan...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page