3.0 Firmware Brick - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firmware 3.1 is out. Lifesun, would you mind giving us an update?

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

Firmware 3.1 is out. Lifesun, would you mind giving us an update?

It seems that they have not released it as a separate download yet? It still shows 3.0 on the website. I can't update through the XMB because my PS3 currently does not detect the network cards...........
Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I found a 3rd party site that had the 3.01 firmware download, so I downloaded it and installed it via a thumb drive..........................and am happy to report that my network cards are back and it seems to boot up and shut down normally now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep an eye on it for a few days and see if its stable, if any issues pop up I will post, but as of now its fixed!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

Actually, the way it works is once you use it it's gone...no matter how much time remains until the 2 years is up. You are free to purchase a new plan on the replacement unit, which I did, as it's only $40. $40 might replace a laser or power supply but not much else and it's "cheap" compared to a Sony coffin...not to mention I got quite a few upgrades from my near 2 year old system and a cash back rebate. I'm glad my experience with Best Buy went smooth.

I believe with the Best Buy warranty you will get as many replacements as you require within the first year of the two year warranty. If after the first year you need to replace you can only do it once then you will need to buy an additional 2 year warranty at that point. I know this because I replaced my Wii two times within the first year and one more time in the second year at which time I purchased an additional 2 years from that point forward.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Is 3.01 not mandatory? it didnt pop up when i went online but when i manually updated thru the settings menu it was there.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbg007 View Post

I believe with the Best Buy warranty you will get as many replacements as you require within the first year of the two year warranty. If after the first year you need to replace you can only do it once then you will need to buy an additional 2 year warranty at that point. I know this because I replaced my Wii two times within the first year and one more time in the second year at which time I purchased an additional 2 years from that point forward.

That very well could be.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Well, I found a 3rd party site that had the 3.01 firmware download, so I downloaded it and installed it via a thumb drive..........................and am happy to report that my network cards are back and it seems to boot up and shut down normally now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep an eye on it for a few days and see if its stable, if any issues pop up I will post, but as of now its fixed!!!!

Well, after playing around with it some more I discovered that I have lost my wireless card after this fiasco. Everything else works great though, wired network, bluray, ps3 and ps2 games. Still makes me think that the 3.0 firmware detected my system as a 20gb model causing the initial boot issues, it would explain why I still don't have wireless.

But, I am not complaining, got my system back! I plan to use this one as a secondary bluray player, as I will be keeping the slim for the main room now, the slim is so much quieter than this phatty......
Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the update was a result of 3.00 causing problems with Uncharted.

http://kotaku.com/5360308/ps3-firmwa...arted-problems

Quote:
Yesterday, Sony released firmware 3.01. What was it for? They said it "improves system stability during use of some PlayStation 3 format software", something that's said every time a minor firmware update is released.

But, uh, did this fix Uncharted or not? In the comments section of the post announcing 3.01 - not the news post itself, the comments section - Sony's Eric Lempel says "Yes, this will fix the issues that some users have experienced with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune."

That's all we needed to know! And this kind of thing happens all the time with PSN updates, with small changes or feature tweaks left to us to figure out.

Hopefully in the future, Sony can explicitly provide this information at the time of the update, so users caught with firmware upgrade problems can know exactly where they stand.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 View Post

Is 3.01 not mandatory? it didnt pop up when i went online but when i manually updated thru the settings menu it was there.

Nope..

not mandatory

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbg007 View Post

I believe with the Best Buy warranty you will get as many replacements as you require within the first year of the two year warranty.

Best Buy offers two plans: a replacement plan and a service plan. The replacement plan only replaces the product once. The service plan will service and/or replace the product for the life of the contract. Check the paperwork they gave you. Best Buy does not extend these plans to all products because they maybe too expensive to service.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

http://kotaku.com/5361821/sony-pre+e...n-ps3-failures

It is Kokatu so take it as you will.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My PS3 bricked shortly after updating to 3.0 and playing Batman AA.
I had a 60GB launch console so I was out of warranty.
I opened up that big boy and got my game out (it wasn't easy).
I decided to take a chance and send it back to Sony.
I just got my refurb unit today.
The thing looks brand new and even better, they sent me another 60GB console, which are very rare (full PS2, mem slots, extra USB, etc)
So, for $150 and a couple of weeks, I am very happy.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

My PS3 bricked shortly after updating to 3.0 and playing Batman AA.
I had a 60GB launch console so I was out of warranty.
I opened up that big boy and got my game out (it wasn't easy).
I decided to take a chance and send it back to Sony.
I just got my refurb unit today.
The thing looks brand new and even better, they sent me another 60GB console, which are very rare (full PS2, mem slots, extra USB, etc)
So, for $150 and a couple of weeks, I am very happy.

Thanks for sharing that Doug. Nice to know opening it up yourself doesn't rule out a refurb. Although I threaten to drop kick my 60GB into the trash if it ever breaks again, I'll probably try what you did (and get a new slim as well). $150 for a "new" BC unit is a good buy.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM

I have the 40GB PS3 and I also updated to 3.01 and now the system tells me my discs are invalid or they're not being recognized. Sometimes a movie will start and then 5 mins in, it freezes and impossible to restart. None of my blu-rays or games will play. I called Sony and they want $150 to fix a problem that they created! What?!! That's BS!! I had no problems before this update. This can't just be an isolated thing...
Old 09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Your Blu-ray drive has failed. Coincidence or not, you'll have to fight hard if you want Sony to repair it free of charge.

PS what's the date of manufacturer on you 40GB model?

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

Don't know when it was manufactured. How do I find that info? Does it matter? It's obvious the update screwed something up. Sony can suck it. (They certainly know how to continually suck $$ from it's consumers with all their proprietary BS... but don't get me started...)
Old 09-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloaded17 View Post

Don't know when it was manufactured. How do I find that info? Does it matter? It's obvious the update screwed something up. Sony can suck it. (They certainly know how to continually suck $$ from it's consumers with all their proprietary BS... but don't get me started...)

I'll give ya $50 for it
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have read that people are having problems. It might not be drive failures.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't know when it was manufactured.

It'll be printed on one of the stickers on the PS3.

If it was made in 2007 I would do some research on "Blu-ray drive failures for 40GB PS3s manufactured in 2007". You should be able to pressure Sony for a free repair if you push the manufacture fault line.

Good luck.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

So was this crap fixed or not? I was running on 3.0 when my refurbished 60gb froze playing drakes 2. Its now a brick and Sony said they never heard of any firmware problems and want another $160 to replace this 4 month old POS. To make things better when I called my friend to tell him I was a day late! He just updated his firmware when his system froze at 50% he said half a day later still 50%. Now his machine is a brick also. Both our machines turn on but no picture or sound. No flashing red or yellow light everything is green and looks good but nothing. I filed a BBB complaint against Sony but I have little faith in Sony. They wouldn't even agree to look at it unless I paid them $160 up front and I know they are just going to send another refurb without diagnosing the cause of the problem.