AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   PlayStation Area (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/)
-   -   3.0 Firmware Brick (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-playstation-area/1176879-3-0-firmware-brick.html)

lifesun 09-05-2009 07:36 AM

Hey Guys,

I have the original model 60gb PS3 and when attempting to go to the Playstation store last night I was prompted to download and install the new 3.0 firmware. Long story short, my system has "bricked" and I think that I have tried everything that I can, but I figured I would post here just in case before i give up completely. Here is what happened and what I did:

*After the download through PSN on the console, the installation of the firmware started as normal but once it got to 50%, it jumped to 100%, the screen flashed and the system rebooted. After the reboot, no sound, and a black screen. Power light stayed green.

*I tried several restarts, and eventually switched the power off on the back, nothing changed.

*Found out how to get into the recovery menu by holding the power button and getting the 2 "beeps". This worked, and I got the menu!

*The recovery menu gives several options, and I chose the one to install the firmware update. I downloaded the update on my PC, copied it to a thumb drive and followed the on screen instructions for the install.

*This is the best it got after the black screen. It would go through the entire update process, get to 100%, and then say the system was rebooting. It would reboot.......to a black screen.

*If I shut the power down, it would start the process over. It got stuck in this loop and I tried it over 5 times. I even let it sit for over a half hour after the "reboot" and nothing changed. It never shut off, light stayed green, but only a black screen.

*Then I removed the hard drive, formatted it, and now back to square one with a black screen.

*Finally, at this point, I tried to hold the power again for the recovery mode, that does not work now, and I even tried hooking it up via the composite cables, screen will flash at power on, but black screen.

So, obviously my system is toast and bricked. I am not sure if it was the 3.0 update or not. I found a couple of other people out on the net with the same issue, but most are calling it a coincidence. Not convinced that it wasn't the firmware, but its water under the bridge at this point. I am just trying to confirm that I have tried everything that I can, and am also trying to find out if anyone knows what the actual issue could be. Does the firmware sit on a ROM such as the BIOS on a computer? If so, would a motherboard swap fix the issue? I hate the idea of sending it to Sony, I am also not excited about buying a new console either, but I believe those are really my only options. Its hard to find info on the net because its not the YLOD error.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

257Tony 09-05-2009 08:02 AM

All you can do is send it in and pay to get it fixed I lost one not too long ago to the 2.7 FW, so I feel your pain, mine had been opened so they said they wouldn't fix it at all, so I ended up having to sell it on ebay for like $40 as a parts machine.

Vince2909 09-05-2009 08:25 AM

These forced updates are BS...sounds like you got hosed by it.

eddy_winds 09-05-2009 09:03 AM

it wasn't the firmware

lifesun 09-05-2009 09:05 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, I figured that I was out of luck. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do. I have not had time to game in quite awhile, so I am half tempted to get a budget bluray player for now and see if any deals pop up.

On a side note, I agree that it is BS that you are forced to update firmware to use PSN, however, it seems that many products these days with net connectivity act the same way. I only wish that they would allow free repairs that are proven to be caused by the updates. Wishful thinking, and I guess I am in the minority here anyway.

lifesun 09-05-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

it wasn't the firmware

Coincidence is what I keep seeing on the net, but it just seems odd to me that it would crap out in the middle of the install of the firmware, seems too coincidental for me, and a few others out there have had the same experience.

funsocaltiger 09-05-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Coincidence is what I keep seeing on the net, but it just seems odd to me that it would crap out in the middle of the install of the firmware, seems too coincidental for me, and a few others out there have had the same experience.

Well, it is possible that the act of installing new firmware always carries a risk even if it isn't the firmware version itself (i.e. it could have happened with 2.7 or 2.8 too). What is really strange, though, is that even a full format didn't fix the problem. That makes me wonder if the problem isn't a coincidental hardware failure then. Unfortunately unless someone has an archived copy of older firmware it wouldn't be easy to verify that it was version 3.0 that caused whatever is happening. You could try doing a search to find a copy of the previous firmware.

Malcolm_B 09-05-2009 09:43 AM

I have a Launch 20gb that I just installed the 3.0 firmware on. No problems. Although I hate being forced to DL the update just to get to the store (wanted to try that Joker character on Batman: AA)

lifesun 09-05-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger View Post

Well, it is possible that the act of installing new firmware always carries a risk even if it isn't the firmware version itself (i.e. it could have happened with 2.7 or 2.8 too). What is really strange, though, is that even a full format didn't fix the problem. That makes me wonder if the problem isn't a coincidental hardware failure then. Unfortunately unless someone has an archived copy of older firmware it wouldn't be easy to verify that it was version 3.0 that caused whatever is happening. You could try doing a search to find a copy of the previous firmware.

Question for you, lets say I somehow found an older version of the firmware, any idea as to how I would attempt to install it? I lost the recovery menu when I formatted the hard drive. Is there recovery boot disc that could be made or another method?

mrjinglesusa 09-05-2009 12:23 PM

Original 60 GB here too. Downloaded and installed FW 3.0 in less than 10 minutes. No problems whatsoever.

pdiss88 09-05-2009 12:45 PM

Launch 60 GB. I had no problems while downloading and installing the firmware, either. It was after I saw what they did to the XMB that I had a problem.

You are the first person I've heard of who had their PS3 brick while installing FW 3.0. It seems like an isolated case, so it may have just been your PS3 rather than the firmware.

Gai 09-05-2009 01:03 PM

Launch 60GB with no problems installing 3.0.

funsocaltiger 09-05-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Question for you, lets say I somehow found an older version of the firmware, any idea as to how I would attempt to install it? I lost the recovery menu when I formatted the hard drive. Is there recovery boot disc that could be made or another method?

Ohhh hmmm I did re-read your post and saw you get the black screen no matter what now. If you did another re-format would that give you the recovery screen again?

zetram 09-05-2009 02:26 PM

The trinity is complete!!

imdjenk 09-05-2009 02:56 PM

Lifesun, I think your best option is to send it to Sony and plead with them that the firmware bricked your PS3 and be persistant. Worse case your out $150 maybe the'll throw in a free game or something. Installing firmware is such a delicate procedure any mishap can screw up the process even a slight voltage spike, or a rare miscalculated bit by the CPU usually because of heat. If your PS3 was running very hot at the time of install this is an unlikely but plausible scenario.

Nethervue 09-05-2009 04:05 PM

I lost a 40 GB PS3 to a firmware update, sucks. I tried everything (including the stuff you tried), nothing worked. I sold mine and used to the money towards a new one. I have a few PS3s now, use them for media sharing, and I'm so paranoid now when I have to update. They really should have a secondary fallback BIOS in case of a failure.

coneyparleg 09-05-2009 08:19 PM

don't restart your computer in the middle of the update, even after the machine reboots, this will mess it up, even if you see a black screen, let it sit, if you reboot out of impatience you can damage your machine

4ta23 09-06-2009 08:18 PM

I had an issue, not after a firm ware update but I just did the restore files on the service menu and that fixed mine. I would reboot to a black screen and I powered it down unplugged and restarted and it gave me the video screen set at 480 and asked me if I wanted to auto adjust the screen so on and so on and it got me past a black screen.

One more thought there is a way to get a new PS3 Slim for $199 there is a thread on here about it, I have a good PS3 but I might pick one up for that price, not a bad deal.

Zookster 09-07-2009 12:58 PM

It seems like Sony is admitting to an unspecified problem with 3.0 that a limited number of users are experiencing: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...firmware-3-00/

Quote:

Update on PS3 Firmware 3.00
Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media
SCEA is aware of reports that PS3 owners are experiencing isolated issues with their PS3 system since installing the most recent system software update (v3.00). Rest assured that we are looking into the matter and will provide an update here as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience, as it’s our mission to deliver the best consumer experience on all PlayStation platforms

eddy_winds 09-07-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

SCEA is aware of reports that PS3 owners are experiencing isolated issues with their PS3 system since installing the most recent system software update (v3.00).

= Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

fcorona76 09-07-2009 02:55 PM

I wanted to watch the first Narnia movie (Bluray) on my 1.5 year old 40GB Spiderman 3 edition PS3 last night with the honey and it forced the 3.0 update on me. Okay. Installed, restarted, and everything seemed a go. We got about 10 minutes into the movie and it froze. I restarted. I tried the movie again and the PS3 said it was an invalid file. Okay. I restarted again and it wouldn't even acknowledge that a disc was in the machine.

Thanks System Update 3.0.....

I know it's probably ****ing ****** coincidence but I'm not a happy camper for as little use that PS3 already was getting.

60SXRD 09-07-2009 03:11 PM

I have a January '07 60GB - no firmware update problems ever.

Nethervue 09-07-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

PS3 said it was an invalid file. Okay. I restarted again and it wouldn't even acknowledge that a disc was in the machine.

I've had luck cleaning the laser on my 40 GB PS3 when the same thing happened. Took it apart, cleaned it with alcohol and a Q-Tip...followed by some compressed air.

Worth a shot!

mobgre 09-07-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

don't restart your computer in the middle of the update, even after the machine reboots, this will mess it up, even if you see a black screen, let it sit, if you reboot out of impatience you can damage your machine

Good advice. I updated my launch 60 gig to 3.0 also. In the middle of the update my screen went black too. I thought wtf? But after 2-3 min. it resumed and completed the update with no problems. Never turn off your machine while updating. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for your issue.

lifesun 09-07-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgre View Post

Good advice. I updated my launch 60 gig to 3.0 also. In the middle of the update my screen went black too. I thought wtf? But after 2-3 min. it resumed and completed the update with no problems. Never turn off your machine while updating. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for your issue.

I appreciate the advice, however it jumped from 51 - 100% and rebooted itself, I let it sit for a long time, about 10 - 15 minutes with a black screen, it should have not taken this long. Only after this did I attempt a manual reboot.

gluvhand 09-07-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

I wanted to watch the first Narnia movie (Bluray) on my 1.5 year old 40GB Spiderman 3 edition PS3 last night with the honey and it forced the 3.0 update on me. Okay. Installed, restarted, and everything seemed a go. We got about 10 minutes into the movie and it froze. I restarted. I tried the movie again and the PS3 said it was an invalid file. Okay. I restarted again and it wouldn't even acknowledge that a disc was in the machine.

Thanks System Update 3.0.....

I know it's probably ****ing ****** coincidence but I'm not a happy camper for as little use that PS3 already was getting.

Have you tried deleting the Narnia data file from the PS3's hard drive? Someone else had a very similar issue after the f/w update with a different title but deleting the file worked. I think the file gets corrupted during the update somehow.

Dan P. 09-08-2009 08:36 AM

Original 60GB here too. No issues with 3.0.

BUT...It's already been repaired once, and I'm starting to get tired of listening to that fan. If I did have an issue I'd drop kick this thing into a dumpster and get a slim.

Doug Schiller 09-08-2009 08:54 AM

I have a launch 60GB and was able to update to 3.0 without issue.
But after, my PS3 had more little issues then I could count.
Blu-Ray movies not loading, or loading forever.
Batman AA crashing during game play or not loading.
When it would crash, I would have to completely power off to get it going again.
Well, on Sunday, during Batman AA, it crashed while walking into a new room.
This time, it won't come back on no matter what I do. I guess I have the YLOD.
It turns on, the red light blinks, a quick yellow light, then it happily shuts itself off and blinks the red light.
I could not eject my game disc no matter what I did, even left it off overnight.
I would love to have Sony fix it but I opened it because I wanted to get my new $60 game out of there. Couldn't Sony included a manual eject system???

I replaced it with a new PS3 Slim but it sucks I lost all my saves.

The moral of the story is, I don't think it is a coincidence that this happened shortly after 3.0.

fcorona76 09-08-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Original 60GB here too. No issues with 3.0.

BUT...It's already been repaired once, and I'm starting to get tired of listening to that fan. If I did have an issue I'd drop kick this thing into a dumpster and get a slim.

Well, I thought I purchased a PRP from Best Buy for mine which would be good until January of 2010 but upon looking at the reciept it says PSP (like many other AVS'ers I've read about...bait & switch anyone?)....so I dont know what I can expect when I go to Best Buy. I know what I was told...that I would get immediate in-store credit for the original purchase price, blah,blah,blah but I've heard the stories of people being denied that kind of service and being put through some long & unnecessary waits.

DaGamePimp 09-08-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

The moral of the story is, I don't think it is a coincidence that this happened shortly after 3.0.

I don't think it's just coincidence this time around, something is very 'odd' with 3.0. I have chatted online with some other PS3 owners over the last couple of days and 2 of the 4 now also have 3.0 bricks (one of the bricks is a brand new slim which is just being returned to the store but worked flawless right up until the firmware update). I was about to update yesterday but glad I waited, told my cousin to hold off as well. I think there will be a 3.1 sometime in the very near future as there are just too many issues being reported with 3.0. I hope they take care of all the people having serious issues and I hope they have this resolved before Uncharted 2 hits in about a month .

Best of Luck,
Jason