DVD Upscaling - PS3 vs Xbox 360 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Their performance can be quantified - but there is no extensive review out there (to my knowledge) that has compared them that seriously. The general consensus here is that the PS3 is slightly better (still not something you will likely perceive) and that's based mostly on trained eyes (which may also be subjective) and test discs.

Verum postulo res.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

Their performance can be quantified - but there is no extensive review out there (to my knowledge) that has compared them that seriously.

That's surprising ... and disappointing. It seems like such an obvious feature to test.

I wish I had the knowledge and tools to perform such tests. Of course, today it seems almost trivial in contrast to the influx of HD content. But out of principle alone, these numbers should exist for the world to see.
post #33 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
PS3 hands down, both consoles have been tested by numerous videophiles on AVS forums, just goto the DVD player section of AVS and have a look. The 360 fails at many pulldown corrections and other detections.
post #34 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

PS3 hands down, both consoles have been tested by numerous videophiles on AVS forums, just goto the DVD player section of AVS and have a look. The 360 fails at many pulldown corrections and other detections.

It would be nice to have a review with charts/data to illustrate this - however all we have at this point is as you said, videophile tests (which may be colored by opinion). The failed tests on the Xbox's part are the only real reason I would choose the PS3 - beyond this it comes down to what you can personally perceive.

Verum postulo res.
post #35 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

... just goto the DVD player section of AVS and have a look.

Thank you for the suggestion. I searched through the DVD section and read through 8+ threads. I did not find the tests you mentioned, but I did find an ocean of contradicting opinions.

Here are a few of my findings:
  • Many comparisions between the PS3 and Oppo.
  • Many posts stating the 360 does "NOT" upscale standard DVDs.
  • Some comparisons using a component connection, which negates the results.
  • A couple posts stating the 360 can only upscale with the HD-DVD addon.
  • One poster directing others to refer to the link in his sig. There is currently no link.
  • Most threads either died after 3 posts without any conclusion, or ends with the topic being changed to "Don't use either, buy an Oppo."

Again, perhaps I am overlooking it. If you have any links directed to some test results, I would greatly appreciate it.

Earlier, like.no.other posted a great quote with a lot of useful information abou the PS3's upscaling capabilities. I would still like to know the source of that info and if there is similar info regarding the 360.

Thanks in advance.
post #36 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9722853-1.html

Coulda sworn this was posted earlier in the thread.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #37 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

It would be nice to have a review with charts/data to illustrate this

That would be lovely. As I said earlier, I'm completely baffled that one does not already exist. I've seen so many data/spec sheets, charts, graphs, etc. that illustrate far more trivial things that would rarely interest an average consumer.

But such an obvious consumer question as, "Which console upscales better?" seems void of any definitive answer.

After spending some time in the DVD section, I think this thread would have been better discussed there. Is there any way for me to request this thread to be moved?
post #38 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9722853-1.html

Coulda sworn this was posted earlier in the thread.

That's awesome. Thank you, imdjenk.

like.no.other quoted the article earlier, but I had no idea where it came from.

My intial question following like.no.other's post was, "Do the results still apply since there have been numerous firmware updates since 2007?" I visited the PS3 update history and found the following additions:

v2.20 - Mosquito Noise Reduction
v2.40 - DTS audio support
v2.50 - "chroma upsampling"

Those additions could only further improve the PS3's upscaling capabilities, right? Does the Xbox 360 support any of these features? Do any of these features have a nagative impact on upscaling performance?

Since the cnet review seems to be the only "real" information I've seen so far, I searched cnet to hopefully find a more current article. I found THIS ARTICLE reviewing their first impressions of the new PS3 Slim. I'm pretty sure the PS3 Slim shipped with the latest firmware (v3.01). Their review compares it to the Oppo, and discusses how well it handles the "Seabiscuit" test.

I searched for a like review of the Xbox 360 on cnet, but only found THIS ARTICLE from 2007 reviewing the original Elite model. I know there have been numerous updates since 2007 that contribute various display enhancements. I would love to see a review similar to cnet's PS3 article in regards to the latest incarnation of the Xbox 360.

[afterthought] I just added the Seabiscuit DVD to my Netflix queue so I can finally see what they're talking about. lol
post #39 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nCogNeato View Post

[paraphrased from another thread]

Have there been any recent comparisons of the Xbox 360 and PS3's DVD upscaling capabilities? I found some year+ articles that attempt to compare, but do so inaccurately. It's probably important that both consoles have received firmware updates since these articles were published.

I currently have both an Xbox 360 (Pro) and PS3 (60GB launch) connected to a 42" 1080p Philips 42PFL7403D/27 via HDMI.

I spent a couple hours comparing some of my commercial DVDs using each console, but I cannot decide which delivers the best 'overall' upscaling. According to my novice eyes, the differences are very subtle and waiver in favor of both consoles.

I searched but could not find a more current & appropriate thread. I'm actually surprised this is not a popular topic. I'm hoping someone can provide some current technical comparisons. Thanks in advance.

What type of displays are you using?
Are your displays calibrated?
If so, what did you use to calibrate them?
Is your 360 hooked up using Component or HDMI?

From my experience as well as my some of my customers who can be picky regarding images especially when projecting on screens as large as 180", the difference in image quality using the 360 vs the PS3 is enough that you can notice especially the little things in dark scenes, and this is with all equipment calibrated.

However, not to give the PS3 any real points, it still can't upscale an image as good as the Toshiba HD-DVD players or the Denon and Pioneer Elite high-end DVD players. I own the Pioneer Elite 59avi and when watching DVD's, I still use it over the PS3 as you can notice the difference no matter what setting you put on the PS3.

Anyways, as most folks mentioned, if you have nothing to compare to, then you probably won't notice the difference, but if you are running in a dedicated Theatre space where you have 95%+ light control and you are looking for the best picture possible, then the PS3 can offer a better experience than the 360.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #40 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
The best upscaling I've seen yet is to NOT USE A DVD and play a Blu-Ray instead. Works great on my Planet Earth BDs. BDs don't make my PS3 sound like a hair dryer either.
post #41 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

The best upscaling I've seen yet is to NOT USE A DVD and play a Blu-Ray instead. Works great on my Planet Earth BDs. BDs don't make my PS3 sound like a hair dryer either.

As a member of this forum for nearly two years, with over 1200 posts, I would think you would know what "upscaling" is.

post #42 of 46 Old 09-17-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

What type of displays are you using?
Is your 360 hooked up using Component or HDMI?

See my original post.

Quote:

... as good as the Toshiba HD-DVD players or the Denon and Pioneer Elite high-end DVD players.

Thank you for the input, and I completely agree. I'm aware there are many devices that put the PS3 and 360 to epic shame, but I would like to keep the conversation on topic. As mentioned before, most of the previous threads I've read through on these forums usually disolve into a "Don't use either, use [blank] instead." It's probably best to avoid comparing either console to other devices in order to bring this thread to a sound conclusion.

Quote:

Are your displays calibrated?
If so, what did you use to calibrate them?

I initially used the factory-installed calibration tools when I first set it up, but I wasn't excited about the results. I was later given an 'HD Test Image' packet by someone on one of the forums I frequent (maybe AVS). I then calibrated using those images from a thumbdrive plugged directly into my TV.
post #43 of 46 Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nCogNeato View Post

Here are a few of my findings:
  • Many posts stating the 360 does "NOT" upscale standard DVDs.
  • Some comparisons using a component connection, which negates the results.
  • A couple posts stating the 360 can only upscale with the HD-DVD addon.

Just to comment on those bullets in case some people do not know.

1. The 360 only upscales standard DVDs to 480p using component and upscales up to 1080p using the VGA connection or 1080p over HDMI (not sure I don't have a HDMI Xbox).

2. Like you said negates the comparison because component only allows for 480p resolution.

3. Using the DVD drive or HD-DVD add-on is irrelevant to weather the Xbox will upscale or not. They both will do it.

I'm going to test to see how DVDs look using the PS3 but I like the idea of just using it to do Blu-Ray and Games and use my HD-DVD add-on to play DVDs.
post #44 of 46 Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Let's also not forget the relative noise of each console's disc drives (not fans) in action.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #45 of 46 Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Let's also not forget the relative noise of each console's disc drives (not fans) in action.

Yes, noise is something to consider. But noise is not the focus of this discussion.

I'm looking for a definitive answer as to which console has the best upscaling capabilities.
post #46 of 46 Old 02-20-2010, 02:02 AM

Gonna have to go with the ps3. Atleast on my tv the color and black levels look better. As far as the 360 not being able to upscale over component the ps3 can't either. If you look in the ps3 settings it will tell you that.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page