PS3: HDMI to HDMI LCD Monitor "Power Save Mode" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question I was hoping some brainiacs out there could help me resolve before I begin calling the LG tech support phone tree.

Just purchased an American PS3 slim, that was shipped over to my current country of residence, Korea. I have been here a while and ended up buying an LG W2361v 23" monitor (would post the link, but spam prevents me, anyway HDMI input, 1920x1080p res, 50,000/1 DFC)

It works great with my DVI connection to my mac, but when I received my PS3 I hooked in a transformer (100W) and a HDMI cable I bought here in Korea and plugged it into the output slot of my PS3 and into the input slot of the 1080p monitor. Though of course I had a problem... switching 'sources' it was not recognized and the monitor proceeded to flash a shiny blue box that read "HDMI Power Save Mode".

I reset my PS3 video inputs by holding down the power button until 2 beeps (as my dad had played it in the US and am not sure what inputs he used, updates preformed, most likely nothing to do with any changes to settings"

My curiosity suspects that possibly it could have something to do with the HDMI cable itself (though it was a new purchase, and I have nothing else to test it with around here), the monitor (since this is my first time using the HDMI input) or the PS3 (since it was shipped here and may not be displaying HDMI output (though that being the only cord plugged in)

I should also mention that I plugged the regular RCA cords into my 10 year tube tv and it work fine, obviously just itching for the 1080p experience.

Any suggestions or ideas would obviously be very grateful and I thank you kindly in advance good sirs and madams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, it sounds like you pretty much have to troubleshoot all possibilities since you have never used HDMI on either the monitor or PS3 before (unless you are connecting DVI using a DVI-HDMI converter). The 3 most obvious possibilities are:

1) Problem with HDMI input on monitor
2) Problem with HDMI cable
3) Problem with HDMI output on PS3

#2 would obviously be the easiest to troubleshoot. You'd need access to other HDMI capable devices to verify if the problem is #1 or #3. To test #1 you could potentially use a HDMI-DVI converter to input to your monitors DVI input since you know that works. But to verify #3 you'd need either a second HDMI output device that you know works or take your PS3 to a HDMI input capable device.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
I'm a little confused due to the differences in electrical standards, but reading your post my first thought was the problem might be the 100W transformer. 100W isn't a whole lot for a PS3. A quick google search indicates that the "fat" PS3 uses about 177W even when doing nothing but showing the dashboard. I doubt the PS3 Slim is that much less.

I did a quick search for the electrical standards in South Korea (at least I'm assuming you're in the South), and it looks like they use the same electrical standards as the US. Why do you need the transformer?

Maybe I'm wrong with what's required, but I'd take a look at the transformer.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

I also was worried that the PS3's 100w convertor woulf not be enough, but found tests ran on the slim would in fact max out around 100w during game play. I had someone buy me the 100w converter and since I can power it ok on my tv tube, I dont think this is the issue, though I am going to infact replace it with a bigger one just to be on the safe side when I do start playing games.

South Korean while on the same HZ, does use different volts according to...
http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

Also I would prefer to use HDMI straight to HDMI so what I think I will do is bring everything along with me and walk to the LG store here and explain my situation and hope they can allow me to test everything on off their display monitors before I go buying a new cable/DVI adapters. Worth a shot right?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalathekyle View Post

Also I would prefer to use HDMI straight to HDMI so what I think I will do is bring everything along with me and walk to the LG store here and explain my situation and hope they can allow me to test everything on off their display monitors before I go buying a new cable/DVI adapters. Worth a shot right?

Yeah, I know that some people here in the states have been able to do the same thing at local stores when troubleshooting problems with their PS3s. Since you are troubleshooting an LG product they should probably be fine with it.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM

just wondering, did you ever get it able to work on the LG W2361v monitor? im having the same issue, except with the DVI port. VGA works fine. DVI says "power save mode." not tried HDMI yet.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page