Ico / Shadow of the Colossus re-release for the PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection.

Both games are remastered on one disc in 1080P HD with optional 3D and trophies, and the collection is available now for $40.

While Ico has always been held in high regard, Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games made last generation. The HD release improves upon the original PS2 release in frame rate (now a rock-solid 30 fps) and aesthetic visual quality. Here's a very nice comparison video:

Reviewers have almost universally given the new collection stellar marks (copied from NeoGAF). Anyone on the fence about this release who have not played it are in for a treat if they give it a chance:

Destructoid - 9.5
Eurogamer - 9
Videogamer - 10
TheSixthAxis - 9
Digital Chumps - 9.6
IGN - 8.5
GameTrailers - 8
NowGamer - 9.4
Game Informer - 9.75
C&VG - 9
EGM - 9.5
Gamepro - 4.5/5

*** SEPTEMBER 2010 UPDATE ***
Confirmed at TGS 2010 for a Spring '11 release.

*** MAY 2010 UPDATE ***

Yet another rumor. Snippet:
Quote:

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus look like they could be coming to PS3 in a reworked Team ICO HD bundle in Q1 next year.

~~~

Original post:

Apparently Fumito Ueda, the designer of two of the most revered PlayStation games Ico and Shadow of Colossus, is really hoping that his games are made available for the PS3. Perhaps a hint that they can get the HD treatment like God of War I & II collection?

Quote:

Speaking to 1Up at the Tokyo Game Show, Ueda answered queries about a possible Team Ico Blu-ray collection thusly:

"Initially, I didn't want to consider that. I always thought they were designed for PS2 and should stay there. But lately, I've been thinking it would be nice to provide the games to other platforms to reach more users."

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As that cable guy would say "get er done!"
post #3 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Were these games popular enough to warrant a re release? God of War is prety high profile.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #4 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
SOTC could use it, that game was too big for PS2's britches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

Were these games popular enough to warrant a re release? God of War is prety high profile.

Yes.
post #5 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

Yeah, these games were not as mainstream as the GoW series, but they had quite the following for each game. Come to think of it, if people were polled worldwide to choose either an ICO/SOTC rerelease or GoW/II rerelease, I'm almost certain that ICO/SOTC would win.
post #6 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
This would be awesome!!!

I'll pray every night now for it to be true
post #7 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speaking to 1Up at the Tokyo Game Show, Ueda answered queries about a possible Team Ico Blu-ray collection thusly:

"Initially, I didn't want to consider that. I always thought they were designed for PS2 and should stay there. But lately, my harem of video game groupies has eaten away at my bank account, as has my love of million-dollar exoitc painted chiuauas, and I need to find a way to cash in on someone elses great idea in advance of my new release. Yeah, I guess it would also be nice to provide the games to other platforms to reach more users."

I ran this quote through a fairly complicated piece of internet machinery to translate what this guy was really saying. The bold text above has been translated for your convenience and may not actually represent his intention as there are known language barriers to contend with in the translating process.

No matter the reason, I'd like to see this happen too. There's no way possible for a remaster/recode of some good games to be a bad thing.
post #8 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I was hoping this would happen! I'd like to play through them before The Last Guardian comes out and it'd just be nice to have playable copies of these great games since my PS3 isn't BC.

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #9 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thread title probably should say "possible" or "rumor."
post #10 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I really hope this happens. I haven't played SOTC yet, and might hold off getting it a little longer to see if a re-release comes.
post #11 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Even better news if Kotaku is correct. Apparently there will be a meeting with Sony to discuss the idea.

http://kotaku.com/5368694/shadow-of-...sing-ps3-ports

Quote:

The recent announcement of a slightly-enhanced port of the PS2 God of War games to the PS3 has compelled gamers to buzz about their hope for a similar compilation port of the PS2's Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The developer wants it to happen too.

"I do have an interest in that," Ueda said during our Friday chat. "Next week, I'll have a meeting [about the possibility] ... But it might not be so easy, because, with both titles we really stretched the limits of the PS2. It's complex. So it's not such an easy transfer to the PS3. But I want to discuss it."

post #12 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm not sure what he means, unless he thinks the HD ports would exceed some pre-determined budget for the project.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #13 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I'm not sure what he means, unless he thinks the HD ports would exceed some pre-determined budget for the project.

later games squeezed as much out of the system as possible and were somewhat coded in the PS2's assembly language. Might not be very simple rewriting the rendering and other code.

This is going to come down to a time and money thing.
post #14 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM

I am a huge fan of Team Ico, but I imagine that the scope of such a project would need to be limited in a number of ways that would make it unlikely.

1) Team Ico: the team probably wouldn't do the work since it would delay The Last Guardian's release (and the revenue that would justify keeping them alive at Sony Japan). So at best, I'd hope they would be available to any resources Sony hired to do the port to guide them and I would hope they would give final approval on the effort.

2) Timeline: it would be advantageous to release SotC and/or Ico on PS3/blu-ray before or immediately around the launch of The Last Guardian. No release date has been announced, but the hope is that it'll be 2010 since it's been 4+ years since their last release. This is completely unknown, so maybe #1 could be reversed, but I think it unlikely.

3) Porting and remastering: the game engine plus the graphic assets would probably need a lot of work to get onto PS3.

The graphics and animation were built only for the PS2, so unless the team did a good job at writing portable or maintainable, documented code (unlikely since they were trying to extract as much performance as possible), it'll be a considerable effort to port. Having said all of this, it would be easier to make PSN releases with the PS2 graphics.

I'd prefer the graphic assets get recreated for High Def, but that's a luxury that costs money and effort so that would be potential for tradeoffs.

4) Budget: depending on the projected success and marketing around the Last Guardian, maybe the effort to outsource the port and reap the additional sales for SotC/Ico rerelease or Blu-ray or port to PSN could be rolled into an existing budget. I think everyone would agree that the existing Team Ico audience today is smaller than the GOW audience, but could The Last Guardian outshine and outsell GOW to change the balance? I don't think that is likely, but I could be wrong.

So the combined scope of resources, timeline, porting+remastering, and budget all feel to me like a lot of constraints dragging on the full blown realized re-release of Ico and/or SotC. The smaller effort to port to PSN is more likely.

I'd be happy with just SotC remastered on the PS3, I'd buy it! It's on my top 5 games of all time, but so many of the textures struggle when upscaled to 1080p on my 60GbPS3.

I do hope that they can do this and do it right! Maybe they can hire me as an outside producer. :~)

P.S. I think TyrantII and I agree.

I found this fan art for the PS3 cover on the Internet...
LL
post #15 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummernrg View Post

2) Timeline: it would be advantageous to release SotC and/or Ico on PS3/blu-ray before or immediately around the launch of The Last Guardian. No release date has been announced, but the hope is that it'll be 2010 since it's been 4+ years since their last release. This is completely unknown, so maybe #1 could be reversed, but I think it unlikely.

There's also the upcoming SOTC movie. That could also play in the favor of a re-release. It's probably a long way off though.
post #16 of 197 Old 09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Yeah, these games were not as mainstream as the GoW series, but they had quite the following for each game. Come to think of it, if people were polled worldwide to choose either an ICO/SOTC rerelease or GoW/II rerelease, I'm almost certain that ICO/SOTC would win.

You sure about that? I know the Ico games have a large cult following but I doubt its winning a poll. Most people never heard of SOTC until Adam Sandler played it in Reign on Me.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #17 of 197 Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 PM

If anyone is interested, people have been working hard on modifying the game (able to move/change parameters of camera, objects, etc. while running the game on a PC running the PS2 emulator) and separate effort has created a 3-D viewer that can load and process the game maps, models, and character animations.

It is amazing how much technology from OpenGL and other graphics libraries can be repurposed to make such a viewer; it shows us how much of the production pipeline for games is built on these technologies, libraries, and APIs.

This has opened the doors to potentially modifying the game assets/textures/geography and giving us a HD version under emulation? Who knows? I'm a geek about this stuff, but I found it exciting that there is any new development with one of my favorite games.

I think it points to the feasibility of porting the PS2 engine to the PS3 and updating the assets to give us SotC HD, but it doesn't point to how many resources would be needed to do so. GoW Collection on PS3 is an indicator of what could be done.

It has laid to rest some questions: there is no 17th colossus or alternate ending.

It has revealed some answers: there were some more time attack reward items, there are two Shrines of Worship, there is no Ico castle in the background visible from the bridge, nothing else is hidden behind symbols, cave entrances, and other doorways in the landscape, you can explore some of the cut scene areas.

It has revealed some development changes: the Shine was once climbable to the top, there is an entire dam area stuck far in the mountains that wasn't completed but can be visited.

Finally, it has shown us how masterfully beautiful and detailed the work on this "world" has been. I really can not wait for The Last Guardian, which is rumored to be released during the holidays at the end of this year.

Examples are on youtube; look for: "dormin editor" and "sotc mod".
post #18 of 197 Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I only played the demo of ICO, but was pretty impressed and wish I had gotten that game.

I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus yet.

I would love it if they did a re-release for the PS3.
post #19 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I only played the demo of ICO, but was pretty impressed and wish I had gotten that game.

I was about to reply, "just get a copy. They're cheap and easy to find." Then I saw that they're going for at least $35 on Amazon. Bummer.

Used to be much cheaper. It's not actually a "collector's item" since there are more than enough copies to go around. Just people bumping up prices because of slightly increased demand (similar to what happened with FF7). Not exorbitant, but probably worth waiting to see if Sony releases a downloadable version or HD revamp.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #20 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 AM

Also, if you are a big screen HDTV gamer, the game will look like a big pixelated mess.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the game. I originally played it on a 20-something inch TV about 4 feet away. Then I got a 61-inch DLP and popped it in to replay it - and couldn't handle all of the big blocky pixels.

Now... a HD remake of ICO and SoTC would be awesome!
post #21 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Crossing my fingers. I don't care how they do it or how difficult it is, I just hope it happens! And of course it would be remastered in HD. If it wasn't, that would defeat the purpose of releasing it on bluray for PS3. Just do what they did with GOW1/2 and everyone will be happy!

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #22 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by code brown View Post

Also, if you are a big screen HDTV gamer, the game will look like a big pixelated mess.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the game. I originally played it on a 20-something inch TV about 4 feet away. Then I got a 61-inch DLP and popped it in to replay it - and couldn't handle all of the big blocky pixels.

Now... a HD remake of ICO and SoTC would be awesome!

I still have my PS2 and one CRT TV in the house, so I can still play some PS2 games if I ever feel like it.
post #23 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Agreed that SotC on a HDTV is a pixelated mess (via my BC PS3). I'm going to try my PS2 to see if it's any better, but I doubt it could improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

I still have my PS2 and one CRT TV in the house, so I can still play some PS2 games if I ever feel like it.

I was just thinking about those Time Crisis Guncon3 games I have and will never be able to use again otherwise... :~)
post #24 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Looks fine on my tv

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #25 of 197 Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 90
This thread title is a tease :/. Should've put a question mark in or something.
post #26 of 197 Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 PM

I just stumbled over the Playstation.Blog Share today, I'd not seen this before. It is a place where people can submit ideas and have the community vote them up or down. Be sure to read about their idea submission policy first.

While we all should vote for Software PS2 Emulation, please show your support for the Team ICO Collection to have SotC and ICO remastered and released on blu-ray for the PS3 a la GoW Collection!
post #27 of 197 Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Wow, this thread is a tease and it's bringing my hopes high

Let's vote for the remake tho!
post #28 of 197 Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummernrg View Post

I just stumbled over the Playstation.Blog Share today, I'd not seen this before.

That's because it came out yesterday

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #29 of 197 Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 691
yeah i really wanted to play ico but not about to pay 90 dollars for it..
http://www.amazon.com/Ico-Playstatio...8963454&sr=8-1
post #30 of 197 Old 03-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I own SotC for the PS2. Played it through twice, and would play it through a third time if it was rereleased for the PS3. I certainly hope that this rumor plays out. I'd love to try ICO since I missed it during it's initial release.

I realize that it's not for everyone, but I found SotC to be an amazing gaming experience; one of my favorite games of all time.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page