Movie thumbnail help for PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place. Lately I have been backing up my movies, both dvd's and a few blurays(though it takes way too long to back up my blurays since I have an older macbook). I have been backing them up onto an external hard drive. After I back them up, I always connect the harddrive to the ps3 so that I can watch any of the movies.

When I am viewing all the movie files, it usually just shows the title of the movie. I've google searched and haven't been able to find anything. What I want to do is add a thumbnail pic for each of my movies so that when people see my ps3, it looks better. I know there are media server programs like Popcorn, and PMS, but I'd rather just have my external hd connected directly instead of streaming. Does anyone know how to add thumbnails to movie files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo57 View Post

Hello all,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place. Lately I have been backing up my movies, both dvd's and a few blurays(though it takes way too long to back up my blurays since I have an older macbook). I have been backing them up onto an external hard drive. After I back them up, I always connect the harddrive to the ps3 so that I can watch any of the movies.

When I am viewing all the movie files, it usually just shows the title of the movie. I've google searched and haven't been able to find anything. What I want to do is add a thumbnail pic for each of my movies so that when people see my ps3, it looks better. I know there are media server programs like Popcorn, and PMS, but I'd rather just have my external hd connected directly instead of streaming. Does anyone know how to add thumbnails to movie files?

I'm not sure if I have the complete answer for you, but if you go here http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=2&t=3640
you'll see that bozster is building a really cool tool to generate DVD/Bluray thumbnail covers for PMS users. The tool will generate your thumbnails but I'm not sure how you could then change the icon of each movie file? I'm not familiar with how the PS3 handles folders/icons on an external drive... What you could perhaps do is put each movie in a folder and then customize the folder icon with the specific movie thumbnail. That works on a PC but not sure what the XMB would look like..
post #3 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hello all,

If you have a picture of each movie, you can press Triangle on the movie file on the PS3, press X on the generic movie icon and then select a photo picture.

If the movie is copied to the PS3 hard drive, the movie will have a movie clip as the icon.
post #4 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

If you have a picture of each movie, you can press Triangle on the movie file on the PS3, press X on the generic movie icon and then select a photo picture.

If the movie is copied to the PS3 hard drive, the movie will have a movie clip as the icon.

Vortex3D,

I think I see what you are saying. Basically save some images on the ps3 with the movie thumbnails. Then access the external drive, highlight the movie and add the image by pressing the triangle button. Were you saying that I had to copy the movie over to the ps3 hd or can I attach the image leaving the movie on the external hd? My goal is to leave all my movies on the external hd.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think thumbnails work on an external drive.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #6 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez View Post

I don't think thumbnails work on an external drive.

If true, thats sad. I guess I can't show off what I was planning, to my friends.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Vortex3D,

I think I see what you are saying. Basically save some images on the ps3 with the movie thumbnails. Then access the external drive, highlight the movie and add the image by pressing the triangle button. Were you saying that I had to copy the movie over to the ps3 hd or can I attach the image leaving the movie on the external hd? My goal is to leave all my movies on the external hd.

The movie thumbnails only work on internal PS3 hard drive.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 AM

Why are you opposed to streaming? PMS is very easy to set up and would give you what you want as far as DVD cover art goes. You can still rip movies to your external drive, leave the external drive plugged into your computer, and point PMS to that drive to stream your movies.

I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but to get the cover art for your movie files it wouldn't be too complicated if you want to go this route.

- Lou

post #9 of 25 Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 AM

Given the responses above, perhaps you should give the PS3 Media Server a try. Thumbnails work nicely and you get the added benefits of streaming music and photos as well as your movies... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...
post #10 of 25 Old 10-02-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have PSM and use it once and awhile, but I don't want to have to have my laptop up and running everytime I want to watch a movie. Would rather just turn the PS3 on and then choose a movie
post #11 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I have PSM and use it once and awhile, but I don't want to have to have my laptop up and running everytime I want to watch a movie. Would rather just turn the PS3 on and then choose a movie

From the responses I see you've gotten, it sounds like you might have 3 options:

1. Stick with what you have without thumbnails.
2. Turn on your laptop and use PMS so you get thumbnails.
3. Buy the largest internal drive you can for the PS3 so you can get thumbnails and not need a laptop. And, hope you don't eventually run out of space...
post #12 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
go with option 3

thats what i did

i dislike the streaming, love not having to have a pc/laptop on. just get a big hdd and push the button to play...nothing else
post #13 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettenhu View Post

From the responses I see you've gotten, it sounds like you might have 3 options:

1. Stick with what you have without thumbnails.
2. Turn on your laptop and use PMS so you get thumbnails.
3. Buy the largest internal drive you can for the PS3 so you can get thumbnails and not need a laptop. And, hope you don't eventually run out of space...

I use PMS for streaming and i don't get thumbnails not sure why but wish I did.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

I use PMS for streaming and i don't get thumbnails not sure why but wish I did.

It's real easy to do...

1. Just generate a thumbnail for each movie you own and put them all in a single folder (you might want to try the tool built by bozster that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

2. Make sure you name each thumbnail following the convention of moviename.movienamefileextension.cover.jpg or moviename.movienameextension.cover.jpg (Eg. For Iron Man.mp4; Thumbnail filename would be Iron Man.mp4.cover.jpg)

3. Configure PMS to generate thumbnails by specifying the folder path you created in Step 1.

That's it... PM me if you need more help...
post #15 of 25 Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 AM

HI Neo57 - just wondering what ended up in doing at the end...

I'm currently have the same situation, wondering how to make the thumbnail more available for the PS3, again don't want to stream from either PC/Laptop only want the PS3 on.

So what did you do...

i'm sure someone has found a way using Linux on the PS3
post #16 of 25 Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does PSM transcode mp4's or does it simply pass them on to the PS3 and let it do the decoding of the file? I don't want the extra stress of transcoding on my media server which is not all that powerfull.
-Evangelo2
post #17 of 25 Old 01-15-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhlaq768 View Post

HI Neo57 - just wondering what ended up in doing at the end...

I'm currently have the same situation, wondering how to make the thumbnail more available for the PS3, again don't want to stream from either PC/Laptop only want the PS3 on.

So what did you do...

i'm sure someone has found a way using Linux on the PS3

Hi,

In the end, I ended up purchasing a WD TV just recently. Not perfect by any means, but it does what i was hoping for. I tried PSM for a while, but just hated having to have my laptop on just to watch a movie. With the WD TV, I just turn it on, and my movies show up with thumbnails, and I just choose the movie and it plays. There are some quirks with it, but with the help of the WDTV thread, I'm hoping to get everything working to my liking.
post #18 of 25 Old 01-15-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Does PSM transcode mp4's or does it simply pass them on to the PS3 and let it do the decoding of the file? I don't want the extra stress of transcoding on my media server which is not all that powerfull.
-Evangelo2

I can't remember whether or not PSM transcodeds mp4's, but if you have your mp4's on an external harddrive, you can just plug it into the ps3 and play it directly from there. Though you won't have thumbnail pics for the movies, from my experience, they play perfect with no stutters or anything like that, especially if they are HD movies.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Hi,

In the end, I ended up purchasing a WD TV just recently. Not perfect by any means, but it does what i was hoping for. I tried PSM for a while, but just hated having to have my laptop on just to watch a movie. With the WD TV, I just turn it on, and my movies show up with thumbnails, and I just choose the movie and it plays. There are some quirks with it, but with the help of the WDTV thread, I'm hoping to get everything working to my liking.

purchasing a wdtv just for the thumbnails, would be a waste of money for me... what are the quirks you mention, am interested... thanks
post #20 of 25 Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhlaq768 View Post

purchasing a wdtv just for the thumbnails, would be a waste of money for me... what are the quirks you mention, am interested... thanks

Well I mainly went with the wdtv because it allowed me to play my movies without having to fire up my ps3. Having the thumbnail ability was just a bonus per se. The minor quirks that I've personally experienced is slight audio lip synch timings, and video stutter. I've been able to resolve it by pausing the movie for about 10-15 seconds and then playing it again. Not sure if it's a buffering problem, or if it has to do with me putting my movies in an mkv container. Not too much of a problem for me. Now I'm able to watch my movies with or without my surround sound on, don't have to fire up my ps3, have thumb nails, and I don't have to have my laptop on to stream the movies. All-in-all, for my uses, the wdtv was worth the purchase.
post #21 of 25 Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM

I'm working on a workaround for this issue... personally im leaning towards the wd player, but I dont like having clutter around the tv, and if my ps3 could be the all in one solution im all for it.

Heres a youtube video link ***.youtube.com/watch?v=K85-C-h8n8U
of what I've managed to come up with.

Its still in the rough stages but when its finished I'll upload the finished program for free. it uses the ps3 media server in combination with a flash interface running on a winxp machine.
heres my website ***.myps3xmbsux.com if anyone wants to check it out. and no im not trying to sell anything...
post #22 of 25 Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I can't remember whether or not PSM transcodeds mp4's, but if you have your mp4's on an external harddrive, you can just plug it into the ps3 and play it directly from there. Though you won't have thumbnail pics for the movies, from my experience, they play perfect with no stutters or anything like that, especially if they are HD movies.

No. MP4 can be played natively by PS3. The only transcoding you should have to do is with MKV or the occasional AVI

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #23 of 25 Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesxxx View Post

I'm working on a workaround for this issue... personally im leaning towards the wd player, but I dont like having clutter around the tv, and if my ps3 could be the all in one solution im all for it.

Heres a youtube video link ***.youtube.com/watch?v=K85-C-h8n8U
of what I've managed to come up with.

Its still in the rough stages but when its finished I'll upload the finished program for free. it uses the ps3 media server in combination with a flash interface running on a winxp machine.
heres my website ***.myps3xmbsux.com if anyone wants to check it out. and no im not trying to sell anything...

Looks really interesting. The interface is main reason I keep going back to XBMC but something like this may make me switch when it's finished.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Liked: 11
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I'm just going to add it. Some themes cause problems with the thumbnails. My wife has one of the pixeljunk monsters themes and video thumbnails don't work, but they work fine by simply switching to my username that has the default theme.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
there is new version of ps3 media server, i just dloaded. for windows is acting up. mac version looks fabulous and works flawless though.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page