New PS3 Slim HDMI Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi before i start, i have read through about a million posts on forums for this solution but i have had no luck.

Basically i bought a brand new PS3 Slim yesterday. I connected it up to my NEW Full HD five series samsung 32 inch. I believe the model is LE32B530.

First connected it with scart as i know the initial setup should be done in that first.

I then turned the consol off and plugged in the HDMI cable (scart still in) on the scart channel it asks "HDMI has been detected use this" or something along those lines. Clicked yes. Went over to the HDMI channel (TV had detected which one was in use). But it was just a blank screen.

After a moment of confusion... i proceeded to turn the PS3 off. Then disconnected the scart. I then booted the PS3 up but holding the power button so it defaults to a low resolution. But still nothing displayed on HDMI channel... For gritz i even checked the other HDMI sources.. Nothing.

I then thought "maybe my new hdmi cable is faulty" drove to the shops bought a brand new one (expensive one (not that it makes a difference)).

Still nothing.....

Called the retailer where i bought the Slim... they suggested i exchange the Slim for another one... I went and picked up another new one today in exchange for the other one.

Plugged it in with high hopes... Still nothing displays on the HDMI channel.

Tried another thing on the forums... Booted the PS3 up with both Scart and HDMI connected. (On the Scart Channel) navigated the PS3 to Display settings... set change to HDMI... Still blank screen. it then defaults back to scart...

Please help!

I will personally show my gratitude by wiring some money to a paypal account for the person who gives me a working solution!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecio View Post

Hi before i start, i have read through about a million posts on forums for this solution but i have had no luck.

Basically i bought a brand new PS3 Slim yesterday. I connected it up to my NEW Full HD five series samsung 32 inch. I believe the model is LE32B530.

First connected it with scart as i know the initial setup should be done in that first.

I then turned the consol off and plugged in the HDMI cable (scart still in) on the scart channel it asks "HDMI has been detected use this" or something along those lines. Clicked yes. Went over to the HDMI channel (TV had detected which one was in use). But it was just a blank screen.

After a moment of confusion... i proceeded to turn the PS3 off. Then disconnected the scart. I then booted the PS3 up but holding the power button so it defaults to a low resolution. But still nothing displayed on HDMI channel... For gritz i even checked the other HDMI sources.. Nothing.

I then thought "maybe my new hdmi cable is faulty" drove to the shops bought a brand new one (expensive one (not that it makes a difference)).

Still nothing.....

Called the retailer where i bought the Slim... they suggested i exchange the Slim for another one... I went and picked up another new one today in exchange for the other one.

Plugged it in with high hopes... Still nothing displays on the HDMI channel.

Tried another thing on the forums... Booted the PS3 up with both Scart and HDMI connected. (On the Scart Channel) navigated the PS3 to Display settings... set change to HDMI... Still blank screen. it then defaults back to scart...

Please help!

I will personally show my gratitude by wiring some money to a paypal account for the person who gives me a working solution!

1. disconnect the scart.
2. connect the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV (note the input number).
3. Tune TV to Correct HDMI input (as noted above)
4. Power on the PS3 and press and hold the power button for 5 secs to get ti to recognize the HDMI video out.
5. Follow instructions on TV.

For starters, you never needed the scart in the first place. Just connect the HDMI and go. The PS3 and TV should do the rest. Usually if you plug an HDMI device in the PS3 (while connected and viewing the appropriate input) on the very first power up, you should see the PS3 come on and just walk you through the set up. If you are having real trouble it might not be the PS3. It might be the TV or HDCP miscommunication.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #3 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Try it with only the hdmi cable. Have your tv on the proper input and reboot the PS3 as you did before. It should work... maybe there's something wrong with your tv instead.
post #4 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why on earth do you think you need to do that? It'll detect whatever you have plugged in....by starting with the multi-av cable you're just creating more work for yourself.

Start with only the HDMI cable plugged in to the PS3, set your new TV to the CORRECT HDMI channel, then turn on your PS3 by holding the power button for 10+ seconds (to reset the output settings). Follow the prompts to set resolution & audio settings and you're golden.

Not to sound stupid but you know most television sets have multiple, discrete HDMI inputs so make sure when you set your TV to HDMI is is actually using the correct HDMI input.

edit: double-ninja-d
post #5 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again guys.. i may of not made myself clear... but ..

I have plugged the HDMI cable in(only the hdmi cable) and held the power button until it beeps.... still nothing displays... and to the post above... i have checked all the HDMI channels....

Im starting to think its a tv issue...
post #6 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Dont know if this will help....

But on the correct HDMI channel... when the PS3 is booting up...

It says "Searching for signals" then just goes blank..... (searching for signals is coming from the tv)
post #7 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Before you go through the hassle of returning your television -- is there another hdmi source (like a dvd player) that you could borrow from a friend, just to confirm that the problem is indeed the tv.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dont know if this will help....

But on the correct HDMI channel... when the PS3 is booting up...

It says "Searching for signals" then just goes blank..... (searching for signals is coming from the tv)

One common problem people experience with HDMI is handshake failure. Sometimes, this is because the HDTV is an older, DVI-based model without HDCP support. But in other cases, there's an easy fix -- unplug your components and power cycle your system. This may reset the authentication cycle and restore your connection.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have plugged the HDMI cable in(only the hdmi cable) and held the power button until it beeps.... still nothing displays... and to the post above... i have checked all the HDMI channels....

Just to verify. You held the power button until it beeped the second time right?

Also a small possibility the cable is faulty.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Along with all the other suggestions, did you try a different hdmi port on the tv?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #11 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you wait for the PS3 to beep twice before letting go of the power button? If the slim is anything like the fat, one beep is normal power own, two beeps is reset video.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #12 of 29 Old 11-15-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys,

THanks for the comments..

Right...

In reply to the reset video resolution answers... the fat is different to the slim... on the slim you hold down the power for 10 seconds then it beeps once... u hold it much longer than that and the slim turns off.

In Reply to Mikazaru

I also believe its a handshake issue, im going to try what you suggested. So just unplug everything and turn the tv on and off?

In reply to tingham yes i have tried every single HDMI port on the back of my tv...

And its not a cable issue as i stated i have tried 2 new ones now.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-15-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ok update...

I tried pulling out all the currently connected devices.... booted the tv on and off... then plugged the hdmi in... held the power button on the slim until the beep... still nothing..

The strange thing is... i connected the tv to my laptop via hdmi and that works fine...
post #14 of 29 Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Another Update...

Just plugged the ps3 slim in to a friends full hd tv and it worked fine.... i changed the settings on the slim to boot in 1080p in a hope that it would work on mine on those settings... but still no joy...

The tv knows that the size has changed as the resolution comes up in the corner but still a blank screen.!!

So its the TV problem! which is stupid as i only bought the tv new last month!
post #15 of 29 Old 12-14-2010, 03:11 PM

Is there any solution to this??

I've tried the following:

Switched the HDMI cables with another cable that I know works.
Switched the HDMI ports on the tv with a port i know works
Held down the ps3 power button until i hear it beep twice.
Throw my ps3 out the window in frustration
post #16 of 29 Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM

make sure your tv supports 1080p, I brought mine to my buddy's and his tv could not recognize ps3. we had to plug it into his 1080p computer monitor and down size the screen to 720, then it worked. Thought ps3 would automatically adjust output setting according to what it's connected to, but found out it doen't, only remembers last setting.
post #17 of 29 Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdflag View Post

make sure your tv supports 1080p, I brought mine to my buddy's and his tv could not recognize ps3. we had to plug it into his 1080p computer monitor and down size the screen to 720, then it worked. Thought ps3 would automatically adjust output setting according to what it's connected to, but found out it doen't, only remembers last setting.

yea the tv def supports 1080p
post #18 of 29 Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Have you tried setting up HDMI max res 720p and leaving 1080p unchecked? Even though you say it's a full HDTV, there may be something funky with the tv's high resolution? Although I've never heard of that...
post #19 of 29 Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Pwner View Post

Have you tried setting up HDMI max res 720p and leaving 1080p unchecked? Even though you say it's a full HDTV, there may be something funky with the tv's high resolution? Although I've never heard of that...

Yea so what I did last night to get it to work was hook my ps3 up to my computer monitor and set it to 720p like you mentioned. I then hooked it up to my tv and upped the resolution to 1080p and everything was fine.

This morning I try to turn it on and now I get black again. I will try leaving it a 720p and see if that fixes the issue.

That would def suck but it's looking like it might be my only option.

There are def people with my same model tv that are using ps3 slims without any issues. However I did find that there are some major issues with ps3 slims and handshake issues.

Any other tips or suggestions would be great. I'm about ready to try and buy another slim and swap mine out.
post #20 of 29 Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
How about post the make and model of your TV. I've seen folks think it's 1080p capable when in fact it is 1080i, not realizing there's a difference. And honestly, if you have a 720p TV, I had better luck leaving the PS3 on 720 when I had a 720 TV capable of a 1080i input.
post #21 of 29 Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

How about post the make and model of your TV. I've seen folks think it's 1080p capable when in fact it is 1080i, not realizing there's a difference. And honestly, if you have a 720p TV, I had better luck leaving the PS3 on 720 when I had a 720 TV capable of a 1080i input.

PN58C8000
here are the tech specs from cnet on the tv. It's also a 3D ready tv... itching to play some 3d games on the ps3

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...l?tag=lwrspecs
post #22 of 29 Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM

I reckon your TV's a dud. You said it's also new? The first thing I would do, is take the ps3 and your HDMI cable into the store where you got it from (or any store for that matter, just say your interested in that TV) plug it into your model, see if it works. If it does, you know what to do
post #23 of 29 Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Yea this is driving me crazy.

I def think its the ps3. My buddy brought over his ps3 slim and it worked with no issues.

It's something funky with the handshake.
post #24 of 29 Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Ok i figured out a solution for my problem.

I have to first turn on the ps3 slim then turn on my pn58c8000 samsung plasma tv.

Finally got this working.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM

Mate, if that makes you happy, well that's cool. I just don't quite understand why you will accept that as the fix.

We are at a day and age when regardless of if your TV is on or off, your ps3 will turn on. Hell, I just press the ps button on my ps3 controller and Ps3, receiver and tv all come on together and flick to the appropriate channels. That is the kind of technology you should be expecting in your brand new TV and your brand new PS3. I could not accept "TV just has to be turned off when I turn the ps3 on" or anything like that for an answer. Your TV is retarded, swap it.
post #26 of 29 Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
my Belkin PureAV hdmi cables i bought for 5 bucks did not work with my ps3 keep saying mode not supported so i tired a radioshack high performance hdmi cable that cost 50 bucks and it works.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
I don't have the same Samsung model as you, but I do have an 8000 series 3D. If your tv is on and you turn on your PS3 slim, it should automatically switch over to the hdmi input your ps3 is hooked into. My Samsung does that and I believe yours should as well.

I would try buying a different hdmi cable. I'm using Mediabridge cables I bought from Amazon and they work great. The Mediabridge cables support 3D just fine.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Hey Reccio I have the same tv an the same problem brought my tv around early 09 had a ps3 slim since it first came out turned on my ps3 today kblam SAME problem my tv finds resolution but no picture or sound!!! Tried the blu ray player from down stairs different cable all hdmi ports NONE of them work tried resting the tv unplugged it all even updated the tv software still no joy really pissed off as i cant afford a new tv just wanted to no if you had fixed yours or not as this is the only active & relevant post i could find if you could get back to me asap that would be great cheers Dan aka madubus
post #29 of 29 Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Ugh I wanted to play MotorStorm:Pacific Rift and I am so close to unlocking some vehicle online and my HDMI port just decides to die and the port I have is an AUVIO 4 in 1 HDMI Port and I got it today and the thing killed my PS3's HDMI Port since it worked for like two seconds and then it decided to kill the PS3's HDMI Port and then it Refused to transmit a signal and then I turned my PS3 off and turned it back on and guess what? The famous Yellow Light Of Death happened so now I can never play MotorStorm or any of my favorite games on PS3 so I had to watch my brother play NHL 12 on his Xbox 360 and then soon the HDMI Signal killed the Xbox's HDMI Port and then my brother gave up turned his Xbox 360 off and turned it back on and then the Red Ring Of Death happened so I'm suing AUVIO for 121,545 Dollars and tomorrow I'm going to destroy the HDMI Signal Box with a Base ball bat
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page