Modern Warfare 2...Multiplayer Combat Tips - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this for 360 but strategy wise it's all the same. Each weapon, attachment and perk is different so try them all out, different combinations and all. I originally wasn't a fan of the M4 but with a holo-red dot and a silencer, bling, and either stealthy perks or damage perks like stopping power I got really good.

Learn the maps. At first you'll get killed easily until you realize where you are and where to go.

Try different game modes. Some game modes will focus in certain areas and you'll learn the good spots that can be used in other modes. Besides, different modes makes things more fun!

Minimize run-n-gun but don't 100% camp. There's a balance and as you know the maps, and get better, and have the guns/attachments/perks that works for you, in no time it will come to you.

All very simple and to the point but many that are overlooked by those who have troubles with the game.

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Added Ninja to my cold-blooded/bling pro class after reading this thread. Definitely a huge plus- it makes it so people can't just rely on the radar or UAV to track you down. On camper-friendly maps this one's huge.
post #93 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

Minimize run-n-gun but don't 100% camp. There's a balance and as you know the maps, and get better, and have the guns/attachments/perks that works for you, in no time it will come to you.

All very simple and to the point but many that are overlooked by those who have troubles with the game.

Yup, well said. This game definitely emphasizes the balance between being aggressive and playing smart. I'd say where the run and gun comes in is knowing where the fight is moving, getting there quickly, and putting yourself where there's the least chance of being exposed or flanked. You also have to take into account that you give away your position while you're shooting, whether you're silenced or not, because people can see the tracers and ricochets.
post #94 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I’ve put about 20 hours into TDM (non-hardcore) so far and thought I’d throw my hat in the ring with what I’ve learned so far:
1. I tend to perform best using Slight of Hand Pro and Stopping Power. Not only does this help me reload more quickly but also helps me aim down my sights more quickly as well. This very small amount of times has enabled me to one-up my enemies many, many times. I tend to use this with either the Vector or Scar, both with silencers. My third choice would be to use the Tar with the silencer and the heartbeat sensor.

2. I’m still unsure which would be more helpful – Cold Blooded or Stopping Power.

3. I love it when enemies use the Scrambler perk because it lets me know someone is coming. I took out 11 guys in a row last night who all used it. To me, it’s not a perk – it’s actually a “non-perk” and works against you.

4. I’ve learned that, unlike W@W, you get really good guns right away. The only gun I’m really looking forward to getting is the M-16.

5. I’ve learned that for me to perform well I really need to pick guys off from somewhat of a distance and many guns (including those you wouldn’t think have much range) do, in fact, have very good range. While I obviously can’t get quite the same range with the Vector as I can with the Scar, it goes surprisingly far on close range maps with buildings.

6. Stopping Power Pro is a must for me most of the time - even with guns that do a lot of damage naturally.

7. Most of all, I’ve learned that running and gunning does not work well on these maps. I work best when I find a certain area (not just a single spot, but a general area) on a map and work from there. While in this area I tend to move slowly and be patient. Note that this is quite different than camping.

8. I’ve learned that you need to be very mindful of sightlines when going around corners and entering rooms. Simply running in without entering slowly will get me taken out almost every time.

9. For a secondary weapon, the PP-2000 (?) works great – I can’t use shotguns worth a damn.

10. Aikimbo does nothing for me since you can’t aim down the sights. Perhaps using this set-up with Steady Aim would help?

11. I can’t use sniper rifles worth a damn – never could. My shots are always a split-second too late since no one seems to stand still. My "sniper rifle" is actually the FAL - it feels very similar to the Garand from COD2 which I used the same way (pick guys off from a distance pumping two shots at a time).

12. I use flash bangs all the time and they work very well.

13. I like to hold off on using my care packages until the time is just right. The other night I had a Sentry Gun, Helicopter, and Predator Missile at the same time (saved them all up). Yes, it rocked.

14. When I’m performing well, I can usually go about 24 and 2 on TDM but am happy is my K/D ratio is 1:1 – it’s all about having fun!
post #95 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
Some notes of my own:

- AT4 is the best launcher, period. It's damage is the same as the javelin\\stinger but unlike those it can actually free fire and doesnt require any lockon. And it flies straight and true.

- I have discovered the quickest way to level.. create 3 classes with the same primary gun for different scenarios (stealth, assult, explosives, etc) and simply focus on completing the challenges for that specific gun (and perks). I leveled from 38-53 over the weekend after realizing this and putting it into action. I have also successfully completed the M4A1, SCAR-H, and RPD and got the titles for them. Focusing on the challenges (as opposed to my K\\D ratio) has actually improved my gameplay, stats, and the enjoyment factor.

- Marathon Pro+Coldblooded Pro+Ninja Pro = the best stealth class ever. I went 27-5 on Wasteland literally doing laps around the map and no one could touch me. So much fun.

- Heartbeat sensors are incredibly lame. You watch the killcams and literally people just timidly move around until they get a blip on their sensor and they gay you from behind or some crap. It's absolutely retarded. It makes Ninja Pro that much more satisfying, but I'd rather use Commando Pro if I didn't have to offset all the losers using heartbeat sensors.

- FMJ challenges are tough, but no game has ever gotten close to making me feel like the good old walling days of counter-strike like this has.. so I appreciate every opportunity to use it.

- Like most solo-based FPS multiplayers.. the amount of camping that occurs is ludicrous. Do you really feel satsified crouched behind the shell of a vehicle staring only at a 4ft space in one section of one entryway? It infuriates me that every kill these terrible players get only serves to further boost their ego and affirm them in their talentless decisions. Makes my stealth\\knifing class that much more satisfying.

- In the barracks, under challenges, youll start to see how you can obtain certain titles and emblems with the challenges you in lock in other sections (under Basic Training and Operational.. there are about 7 or so other categories). Focusing on those challenges can also prove to be rather fun.. like killing the same opponent 5 times in a row, or injuring someone and then finishing them off with a throwing knife. Good times.

- I've found that lag gets me killed just as often as (if not more than) good opponents. I can't determine if it's a client-side issue on their end, or inherent to the PSN\\IWnet framework. Either way it definitely seems to favor the laggers rather than those of us with decent connections.

- I'm having a freaking blast with this game. I've only tried 1 specops mission so I also have that to look forward to. But the fantastic albeit short SP combined with this exhilirating and deep MP makes the MW2 detractors look and sound even more offbase and ridiculous than they already did. Best non-team based FPS available by far.
post #96 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My cousin in EU and a few friends have this on PS3, making me ponder the thought of getting both versions didn't happen with FIFA10 though so I doubt it will. Def will be using some of the tactics mentioned here, like the one about using the same gun but setup differently... that's actually a good one! I could have done that for some of them perk upgrades easily!!

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
post #97 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Half the time I use a flashbang, I get mowed down as I'm exposed throwing the darn thing.

After thinking about it, I've been using them wrong. I've been throwing them in rooms where I knew there was someone. Of course, that person comes charging out and gets me while I'm mid-chuck.

I'm trying to break that habit and instead use flashbangs in mystery rooms. If I hear that little noise and see the extra reticle upon the flashbang explosion, I know someone is in there and I stunned them. If not, then I know that portion of the room is clear and proceed.

Great tips, lwright and scotty. Thanks!!

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #98 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Any tips on taking out turrets quickly?

Those things can really cause bottlenecks, which leads to wholesale slaughter as the enemy team surrounds the area.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #99 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Those things can really cause bottlenecks, which leads to wholesale slaughter as the enemy team surrounds the area.

Stun grenades and knives. If you can't sneak up behind it, throw a stun grenade at it, then go to the back of the turret and knife it.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #100 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What ballen420 said. Stun and flash nades will make turrets stop shooting for a few seconds, so run up to them and shank it with the knife to take it out. I learned the hard way

I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
post #101 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Liked: 12
ColdBlooded makes you invisible to sentry guns.. i cant tell you how much fun it is to run right at a guy who just dropped his sentry, knife him, kill his supporting teammate, and then destroy his sentry.. all without getting shot at once.
post #102 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Like they said above you can stun and knife them. I use cold blooded,as long as no one on my team is behind me I just run up and knife it.

PSN - ill-will
post #103 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Awesome stuff guys - thanks for posting this!

Make's me want to play right now!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #104 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, you can get stunned yourself if using flashbangs improperly. I generally try two things: 1) throw the flashbang into a room by "banking" it off a wall (like a rebound) so it lands in the room without throwing it at a straight shot, and 2) don't look straight ahead when it goes off - look to the right or left and then move forward. I'll have to try out a stealth class tonight. Thus far I haven't really been using stealth except for using silencers on my weapons. I don't seem to lose distance on my shots and my enemies don't see me there (except when UAVs are online).
post #105 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM

post #106 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone at the office claimed this weekend was double points for multiplayer. Is that true and if so what are the hours?

Thanks

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #107 of 2153 Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

I need to go check out some of those tips, this game is rockin' me online. I did great with COD4 and WAW, but with MW2 I'm lucky just to break even in a game. Most times in a one-on-one I don't even get to push the fire button! That's how fast I'm getting killed.

I wonder, though, this is the first online game I'm playing on my new TV, and it runs at 240Hz. I've heard a few things how it can be problematic for such online games. I mean, the game looks really sweet, and I don't feel like anything is laggy, but it's a possibility. At least I hope it is!! I need the reason to be anything but how much I suck.

You sound just like me. I've gone back to WAW a couple of times since getting MW2 just to see if I somehow became retarded or sustained an unknown head injury causing my reaction times to slow but I am still able to do well above avg playing WAW. I pop in MW2 and I instantly suck.
post #108 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 AM

kevin trying to get you in some games man!
i was switching off and on with the guy across the hall but i saw your name pop up once in awhile

ps3- pdp7 ### avs folding team- 55280
post #109 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
pdp7 - this is where I know you from! ok, now I get it! LOL! I was confused for the longest time

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #110 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM

i swear we both wore red uniforms mike and went after eachother like playground bullies

post #111 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp7 View Post

i swear we both wore red uniforms mike and went after eachother like playground bullies

wait last night? Yeah, that was awesome! I read some of your friends names. I'm guessing they were all Korean as well? (My wife is Korean).

Fun night last night, I don't normally play PS3, I'm mostly on the 360 side of things.

It was a little messed up that I couldn't join your party. ARGH! I couldn't get my cousin to join my party neither. I don't know why, I am able to join other friends etc.

I Geez Zeus Me

post #112 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

oh and I have my sensitivity set to 7 and slowly getting used to 8.

yes, it's that high to compensate for 110". Also, being able to turn around and aim fast is key in this game.

I Geez Zeus Me

post #113 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM

yea we are all korean

and we all have way to big of mouths
its hard to get a word in the entire match cause of a few of the guys heh

you good though. very fast. now leave me alone and kill the other guys

post #114 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM

what does FMJ mean?

huh?
post #115 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Full Metal Jacket. Replaces Deep Impact from COD4.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #116 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

This game is getting brutal!

My K/D ratio slides every single night I play. As of last night, I was a 31 rank and in some matches I was the 2nd lowest rank!!

It's a triple whammy:

* I don't know the intricacies of the maps like those with a higher rank
* I don't have the best combinations of unlocks yet like the higher ranks
* I just plain suck at this game and don't want to blame my clam-like reflexes.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #117 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Forgot to add - saw my first case of glitching last night.

It was on the high rise map. Somehow the other team had snipers that had glitched onto the roof. Looked like one guy even glitched onto the roof of an adjacent building!

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate that map more than I already do until I saw that........

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #118 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 PM

it's not a glitch glitch
you can run along the wall ledge and shimmy up there
lots of guys use tactical insertion with one man army
that way they never run out of ammo
and if they die they just respawn there
it takes defense on your teams part though
cause the whole scurry takes probably abut 30 seconds

post #119 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

Maybe some of it has to do with what HD resolution settings you run the game on. What's the consensus about it? 720p? 1080i?

I'd like to know this as well. Mine is defaulting to 1080p, when I'm pretty sure the game is "native" at 720p. If so, is it the Sony TV or PS3 upscaling to 1080p? How do I force games to run at their native resolution instead of always going to 1080p?

\m/
post #120 of 2153 Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp7 View Post

it's not a glitch glitch
you can run along the wall ledge and shimmy up there
lots of guys use tactical insertion with one man army