No surround sound with ps3 on home theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I turn my ps3 on it only displays as "PCM 48" on the Sony Muteki 7.2 Home Theatre. It wont let me select any of the other many audio options avaliable as the message "NOT USED" comes up when I try. It only happens with the PS3 and it won't let me select different A.F.D. mode settings such as "Dolby II, Multi ST, DTS Neomusic or Dolby II GAME MODE 7.1channel for enhanced gaming. Everything works fine when im watching TV or when the DVD is on all the other sound options are avaliable to select but soon as the PS3 comes on it gets locked into one single PCM Linear mode.

It dosen't sound too bad as I can hear sound from 7 of the 9 speakers and the blue light also activates on the receiver to indicate superior sound but I need to know if this is a fault or if its supposed to show as PCM 48 ??????

My connection is PS3 -> HDMI -> Sony 7.2 Muteki 7000-> optical out to Sony Bravia in for audio and HDMI out to Bravia in for video->

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztor View Post

When I turn my ps3 on it only displays as "PCM 48" on the Sony Muteki 7.2 Home Theatre. It wont let me select any of the other many audio options avaliable as the message "NOT USED" comes up when I try. It only happens with the PS3 and it won't let me select different A.F.D. mode settings such as "Dolby II, Multi ST, DTS Neomusic or Dolby II GAME MODE 7.1channel for enhanced gaming. Everything works fine when im watching TV or when the DVD is on all the other sound options are avaliable to select but soon as the PS3 comes on it gets locked into one single PCM Linear mode.

It dosen't sound too bad as I can hear sound from 7 of the 9 speakers and the blue light also activates on the receiver to indicate superior sound but I need to know if this is a fault or if its supposed to show as PCM 48 ??????

My connection is PS3 -> HDMI -> Sony 7.2 Muteki 7000-> optical out to Sony Bravia in for audio and HDMI out to Bravia in for video->

Thanks

You need to change the game and DVD/BD audio output settings on the PS3 itself. It arrives defaulted to 2 channel PCM.

Steve S.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

You need to change the game and DVD/BD audio output settings on the PS3 itself. It arrives defaulted to 2 channel PCM.

True and false. Yes he does need to change the audio output on the PS3. False about the default being 2CH PCM. When a PS3 is connected via HDMI (as in this case) It does a handshake with the AVR it's connected to, and finds out what audio rates that AVR can support. In this case the OP is getting 48 PCM 5.1 or 7.1 and his AVR isnt capable of doing any post processing to that signal. Which is why he's being told "not used" Im willing to bet that he is getting surround but because he doesnt see the Dolby II, or DTS..etc lights on the AVR he thinks it's not surround. If the PS3 had defaulted to 2ch PCM just about every AVR I've come across can apply Dolby II (BTW OP DOLBY II is NOT true surround) to that, so this tells me he's getting a 5.1 decoded PCM signal from the PS3 and the AVR cant post process that.
The fix is either to go into the sound options on the PS3 and turn off all the 5.1 and 7.1 options and force the PS3 to send 2 ch PCM or Dolby, or DTS (whatever the game uses) to the AVR so that the AVR can decode it, and apply whatever post processing he wants.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztor View Post

Thanks

Not sure I get your connections...So you are plugging your PS3 into your receiver via HDMI, but you are then running an optical cable from your reciever to your TV?

If you are going from PS3 to Reciever via HDMI, that should carry your audio. Most optical connections on a TV are audio outs, not in. Besides that though, even if it was an in, you want the sound to go to your amp, not your TV. Confused!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Sounds like you are right. He's connecting HDMI from his receiver to carry video to the TV, and optical from the receiver to the TV for audio. I agree with the OP, this should not be necessary.

I have an older Sony receiver I use in our little game room for when I want the living room for me. I have a PS3 connected to it via optical, as it does not have HDMI. I have the stereo set for A.F.M. (no idea what that means, this Sony came to live with me when I got married) and it properly displays DTS, Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic II when it detects the input signal. Since this is an older receiver, it is not capable of anything better than these audio feeds.

As stated above, make sure all the proper audio options are on for your receiver. Mine did default to just 2 channel, but again I'm using toslink, not HDMI.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM

If you have to use optical for sound, the optical should be going from the PS3 to the receiver..the OP is saying that he is running "optical out to Sony Bravia in for audio".

Still think the connections are a little messed up.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm hooking up a PS3 to a Denon 3808 via HDMI for the grand kids.

Will I get "Dolby True-HD & DTS-HD" when playing a BD?

HH
Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Is this model a slim..

Audio Multi output On or Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethervue View Post

If you have to use optical for sound, the optical should be going from the PS3 to the receiver..the OP is saying that he is running "optical out to Sony Bravia in for audio".

Still think the connections are a little messed up.

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Yes

I forgot to ad that it's a FAT version, does that matter?

HH
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, FAT versions can't bitstream HD audio. You'll have to set it to PCM and just enjoy the Dolby True-HD & DTS-HD when you hit display on the ps remote

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 AM

Hi all!!
I recently removed my optical cable between my PS3 and Muteki system and am now using only HMDI (as suggested in this forum). Now if I try to change my audio settings on the muteki it only shows NOT USED. Please can somebody help??

PS3 ---HDMI---Mutuki 7.2---HDMI---Samsung 46D6600

Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhyward View Post

Hi all!!
I recently removed my optical cable between my PS3 and Muteki system and am now using only HMDI (as suggested in this forum). Now if I try to change my audio settings on the muteki it only shows NOT USED. Please can somebody help??

PS3 ---HDMI---Mutuki 7.2---HDMI---Samsung 46D6600

Thanks!!

Your ps3 is set to output pcm, so that's what it will output. If you prefer to bitstream you'll have to disable pcm in the ps3 audio settings menu.