AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Great news! The patch comes next week:

They already patched Create XP this week, so trophy hunters going for the 250,000 Create XP trophy will have an easier time. You now get 100 XP (up from 5) per download, 25 (up from 2) each to you race with your kart or mod, 20 (up from 1) for a view of your content.

Unfortunately, this has created a huge imbalance IMO with regards to Race XP. For example, I get the same amount of XP for using my own kart and mod in an individual XP race (50) as I do if I place first in that race (less for lower place finishes). Just doesn't seem right. This is a racing game. And unfortunately these patch details don't sound like it will address that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Go to sleep Tuesday night, and when you wake up the patch will be ready:

Quote:

This Wednesday, August 4th at 2:00am (Pacific Time), the ModNation Racers Title Update 1.02 goes live improving many of the issues the community has been concerned about. On behalf of UFG, we want to thank everyone for supporting ModNation and being patient as we’ve worked hard to make it the best experience possible. If you didn’t see the patch details on the IGN last Friday, here is a run down:

Load Time Improvements
While there are still loads, you will see decreases in load times throughout the game.

New “Casual” Difficulty Mode
We’ve added a “casual” difficulty setting in the options screen.

Challenge friends in XP Series
We’ve added the ability to invite your friends to XP Races & Series.

No more “Hot Lap” Cheaters
We fixed a bug that allowed players to cut the track and post unbeatable times in Hot Lap.

Get into Online Races Quicker
Along with improved load times, we’ve removed the online game room from the ModSpot so you can get into the race faster.

Improved Server Stability
We’ve addressed issues to improve intermittent disconnects that players were experiencing.

Three Challenges now more attainable
We wanted to provide you challenges, but didn’t want to sacrifice fun. We found 3 challenges that proved extremely difficult and changed the conditions to complete them. This includes:

* Devastator takedown on Wild Run
* Devastator takedown on Modobahn
* Sideswipe 3 opponents on the cliff side on Fracture

The Tin Bucket Unlocked!
Finally this is an item is unlocked and available to everyone by default.

Collector Card Improvement
Now see all player creations in their entirety.

Improvements to ModNation Racers don’t stop here, we are still constantly listening to the community and are committed to making ModNation Racers one of the most enjoyable experiences you’ll have on your PS3.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #183 of 208 Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The patch is out, and the overall flow of the game loads faster for sure. ign.uk did some tests and while two of the infrequent loading spots are a little longer for some reason, most of the areas where the main action takes place (XP and solo races) are definitely improved:

Quote:

The Initial Load after Choosing the Game at the XMB
Pre-Patch: 1 minute
Post-Patch: 54 seconds

From the Green Start Screen to ModSpot
Pre-Patch: 28 seconds
Post-Patch: 31 seconds

Loading Creation Station
Pre-Patch: 20 seconds
Post-Patch: 14 seconds

Load out of Creation Station
Pre-Patch: 24 seconds
Post-Patch: 28 seconds

Load into Online XP Race
Pre-Patch: 41 seconds
Post-Patch: 31 seconds

Load out of Online XP Race
Pre-Patch: 21 seconds
Post-Patch: 9 seconds

Loading Single-Player Crazy Crater Finale
Pre-Patch: 55 seconds
Post-Patch: 40 seconds

post #184 of 208 Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
How do you get into casual mode? I saw nothing in the menus that referenced it.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #185 of 208 Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I believe Casual Mode is just going to Race>Online Race>Casual (non XP) Race.

Brandon
post #186 of 208 Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In career mode it looks like casual is default now. Perhaps the pro mode unlocks after you beat it because it is turned off for me.

BTW, ign is now reporting that some people are getting freeze problems in online XP matches. I wanted to clear all the challenges before going online so I haven't checked, but I suppose another patch will be on the way,

post #187 of 208 Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I believe Casual Mode is just going to Race>Online Race>Casual (non XP) Race.

Brandon

The new Casual difficulty for Career Mode is indeed the default. Even if you manually change to Expert, next time you load the game, it will be set back on Casual. To change it manually, from Modspot, hit Start>Extras>Options and it's the first item.

I'm using Casual mode to get the last three challenges I'm missing in the last three tracks (Fracture, Mt. Pain, Crazy Crater). I got the new challenge for Fracture pretty easy (sideswipe three racers now, instead of swideswipe three racers off a particular cliff), but I am still stuck on Mt. Pain (disable 5 modbots).

In the official MNR community forums, many have complained the new Casual difficulty actually seems harder, and I do concur. Though there are a lot of opinions on this, the best theory I've heard is that the race is at a slower speed, so if you've been racing a lot in Career mode at the game's original speeds, the slower speed may throw you off a bit as you make turns, drift, sideswipe, shield against incoming attacks, etc. I don't think I get spammed as badly by the AI racers' weapons, but it's still tough racing and by no means "easy," and this from someone who has logged over 80 hours in MNR and has all single player trophies except for the Challenges one.
post #188 of 208 Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried one race, the one I'm stuck on (the spiral pit one) and came in dead last. Ya, much easier...

post #189 of 208 Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

The new Casual difficulty for Career Mode is indeed the default. Even if you manually change to Expert, next time you load the game, it will be set back on Casual. To change it manually, from Modspot, hit Start>Extras>Options and it's the first item.

I'm using Casual mode to get the last three challenges I'm missing in the last three tracks (Fracture, Mt. Pain, Crazy Crater). I got the new challenge for Fracture pretty easy (sideswipe three racers now, instead of swideswipe three racers off a particular cliff), but I am still stuck on Mt. Pain (disable 5 modbots).

In the official MNR community forums, many have complained the new Casual difficulty actually seems harder, and I do concur. Though there are a lot of opinions on this, the best theory I've heard is that the race is at a slower speed, so if you've been racing a lot in Career mode at the game's original speeds, the slower speed may throw you off a bit as you make turns, drift, sideswipe, shield against incoming attacks, etc. I don't think I get spammed as badly by the AI racers' weapons, but it's still tough racing and by no means "easy," and this from someone who has logged over 80 hours in MNR and has all single player trophies except for the Challenges one.

Glad I traded it in. The problem wasn't the speed, it was the cheapness of the AI. They said there was no catch-up logic but I could see it happening. I think finished 2nd 20 times before I was able to amazingly escape one of their final 20ft rocket blast. The AI ruined the game for me. I did not want it to be easy I just wanted it to be fair.
post #190 of 208 Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But it isn't really inflated A.I. doing the work to pass you up as much as it is the attacks they blast you with from behind to slow you down. Once you learn the timing of your shields based on the sounds of the incoming attacks it is hardly an issue.

BTW, the XP glitch will be fixed next week.

post #191 of 208 Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But it isn't really inflated A.I. doing the work to pass you up as much as it is the attacks they blast you with from behind to slow you down. Once you learn the timing of your shields based on the sounds of the incoming attacks it is hardly an issue.

BTW, the XP glitch will be fixed next week.

What XP glitch? I know they boosted everyone's Create XP last week. I'm in MNR discussion forums everyday and haven't heard of anything else in the works. Is this new?
post #192 of 208 Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I tried one race, the one I'm stuck on (the spiral pit one) and came in dead last. Ya, much easier...

That track was one of my stumbling blocks too and I agree the casual difficulty setting doesn't make things much easier on the last ten or so tracks. It took me about an hour to finally get the last challenge I need on Mt. Pain since the patch.

With all the tracks, regardless of difficulty, it just takes persistence, learning the best routes, which shortcuts to take or not to take, conserving your boost, timing your shields, learning how to drift and shield at the same time (helps if you have a big thumb--I don't). I hate to tell you this, but as tough as that one is, wait until you get to tracks like Dire Cliffs, Fracture, and Mt. Pain. Even if the AI racers never fired a shot, those a killer tracks that you really have to learn to be able to finish well.
post #193 of 208 Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Some people have issues starting XP races - the game freezes. The fix will be coming soon according to ign's updated article on the first patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

That track was one of my stumbling blocks too and I agree the casual difficulty setting doesn't make things much easier on the last ten or so tracks. It took me about an hour to finally get the last challenge I need on Mt. Pain since the patch.

With all the tracks, regardless of difficulty, it just takes persistence, learning the best routes, which shortcuts to take or not to take, conserving your boost, timing your shields, learning how to drift and shield at the same time (helps if you have a big thumb--I don't). I hate to tell you this, but as tough as that one is, wait until you get to tracks like Dire Cliffs, Fracture, and Mt. Pain. Even if the AI racers never fired a shot, those a killer tracks that you really have to learn to be able to finish well.

So far I'm happy with the A.I. We are used to hating on rubberband A.I. in some driving games (MotorStorm! ) that it is easy to reflexively think that if it is tough to win in other titles it must be because of the same thing.

I honestly don't feel that the A.I. is cheating as I play. They are driving the same routes as you are, and have access to the same items and boosting ability as you have. If an opponent catches up, he is usually activating turbo or hit a boost pad or is using his boost token (which itself can be Level 1, 2 or 3 for greater speed).

At least that's my impressions. When I know a track and the shortcuts, getting 1st place becomes easier as long as I keep some shield juice handy. It's the craziness of the tracks that take awhile to learn though.

Hey Zook, what are your car settings? Do you tweak them depending on the map, or keep it the same regardless? I was terrible for awhile when I had max drift and minimum handling, so I tweaked it to be -1D/+1H and so far it feels just right. I vary my acceleration and top speed settings depending on if I'm on a curvy map or one with mostly straight aways.

post #194 of 208 Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some people have issues starting XP races - the game freezes. The fix will be coming soon according to ign's updated article on the first patch.

Hey Zook, what are your car settings? Do you tweak them depending on the map, or keep it the same regardless? I was terrible for awhile when I had max drift and minimum handling, so I tweaked it to be -1D/+1H and so far it feels just right. I vary my acceleration and top speed settings depending on if I'm on a curvy map or one with mostly straight aways.

Yeah I heard about that problem. Glad it hasn't affected me yet and glad it will be fixed. Though I really wish they would fix the glitch that allows people to cheat somehow in the XP races. Last night, in two different races some guy's kart was kind of floating around the track, hopscotching over the other racers. In one race, I was in the lead most the time, then he'd jump ahead of me, I'd pull ahead, back and forth, and then he jumped over me at the finish line.

I mostly keep my settings at the default unless I'm going for one of the drift challenges in Career Mode (when I do +1 drift), or I'm trying to get in the top 10% in Hot Lap, when I'll try several different combinations. I noticed if I mess around too much with the settings, the kart doesn't respond as I expect it should and I do poorly, so I stay mostly around the defaults. I probably should try +1 handling for awhile to see if I can get used to it as a way to prevent needless wall hits.
post #195 of 208 Old 08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One way you might be able to mentally get away with changing the stats and not mess up is to switch cars as you switch the stats. So for Car/Driver A, you might always have +2 Drift and 0 Speed/Acceleration, and for Car/Driver B you always drive with something like -1 Drift and +1 Acceleration. This way your eyes can associate the new look with the new controls, and you should then adjust more easily.

post #196 of 208 Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One way you might be able to mentally get away with changing the stats and not mess up is to switch cars as you switch the stats. So for Car/Driver A, you might always have +2 Drift and 0 Speed/Acceleration, and for Car/Driver B you always drive with something like -1 Drift and +1 Acceleration. This way your eyes can associate the new look with the new controls, and you should then adjust more easily.

I like that idea. Thanks!

By the way, if you are looking for D4D partners my PSN ID is Satnamji.
post #197 of 208 Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The XP fix was released this morning. If you have PS+ and aren't at home yet, the patch should be dloaded and installed by the time you turn on your system.

post #198 of 208 Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Double XP Week starts this Wednesday for those of you who still hold any delusions of reaching Level 30. I've personally given up, though I may have to join in the fun this week anyway.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ouble-xp-week/
post #199 of 208 Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Liked: 10
just got the game last week only played a few career races. do you gain xp from career or only online races? where can i see how much xp i have earned? TIA

psn drybones03
post #200 of 208 Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esutrack View Post

just got the game last week only played a few career races. do you gain xp from career or only online races? where can i see how much xp i have earned? TIA

XP is mainly earned by racing online and having your creations downloaded and used in races. No XP is earned in career mode.
post #201 of 208 Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This is the last day to download the Stunt pack for free! Go do it even if you are not currently playing this game...

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #202 of 208 Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

This is the last day to download the Stunt pack for free! Go do it even if you are not currently playing this game...

Thanks for posting the reminder. I totally spaced it this week.
post #203 of 208 Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
glad to help a fellow modnation fan!

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #204 of 208 Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Yeah, thanks for the reminder, grabbed it last night!
post #205 of 208 Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up the Vita version for $10 from BB. Wow, at first it looks and feels great, then it becomes a MNR game. Frame rate goes to ****, the AI gets cheap and the game get impossibly difficult half way through. Glad I didn't spend $40. I hope these morons don't screw up LBP Karting with lots of little mistakes.

post #206 of 208 Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I picked up the Vita version for $10 from BB. Wow, at first it looks and feels great, then it becomes a MNR game. Frame rate goes to ****, the AI gets cheap and the game get impossibly difficult half way through. Glad I didn't spend $40. I hope these morons don't screw up LBP Karting with lots of little mistakes.

How did you get it for $10 ? On the website, it's showing $29.99 right now.. ?
post #207 of 208 Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I was $10 a few weeks ago, probably a one day thing or error. It took a while to ship because they were backordered.

post #208 of 208 Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Supposedly, ModNation will be $9.99 at GameStop on Monday July 9th (tomorrow). I sold the ModNation that I had for 15 bucks about a month ago, so I might just go buy this game back and save 4 bucks, lol. ($11 with tax). The game is kinda lame overall, but for a ten spot ?? Worth buying and keeping for awhile and maybe be able to trade it later on down the line.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page