Networking PS3 and PC for streaming HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-13-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm about to get a new PS3 (80GB - not slim) for Christmas and have a few questions about networking it up to a PC to stream HD (720) & SD movies.

At the moment the PC is connected using 54MB/sec wireless g. Am I correct in assuming that this is not enough to stream HD? At the moment the PC is showing that it's connected at 48MB/sec.

My wife will not allow me to start drilling or run cables around the house so I think I have 2 options left: 200 MB homeplugs or 300 MB wireless-N. As the PS3 only has wireless-g I was thinking of going for the homeplugs. However, I've since discovered that the room with the PC in it is on a different circuit to the room where the router & PS3 will be in.

[i]I've read that when the signal goes through the fuse box it can affect the strength. Would this be significant enough to ruin my plans?[/I]

The other option I've thought of would be to connect the PC to the router with the 300MB/sec wireless-n and then homeplugs from the router to the PS3. The PC and the router are separated by a distance of about 6 meters as well as 2 plaster-board walls which are tiled. The router and the PS3 are both in the same room and are about 5 meters apart. Would this be a better option than the using homeplugs via the fusebox? Also, as the router is so close to the PS3, is there any chance that the wirelss-g receiver on the PS3 would be enough without the homeplugs?

My final question concerns whether anyone recommends any particular brands of homeplugs or routers that seem to work better in the situation I have planned.

Thanks very much in advance.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

While wireless G is technically a theoretical 54Mbps and yours says 48Mbps, actual data throughput is lower...I could get 25Mbps max. In the right conditions, a MINORITY of the time, you'll see no issues. But, if you have other wifi signals in range or someone uses a microwave or cordless phone...forget it.

Also, video is time sensitive...the packets must transfer in order. For file transfers, packets can be retransmitted and it doesn't affect anything, but with video, this results in noticeable artifacts. Wireless is crappy for time-sensitive tasks.

Wireless N may help, but even many suffer the same problem with G as packets are dropped and must be resent. Powerline hasn't worked for everyone, either, probably for the same reason.

What would I suggest if you want to transfer HD material? Ethernet...works every time. Or you can look into MoCA.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

First you should figure out how fast the wireless connection between your PS3 and router is.

There's 2 pretty simple ways to estimate it. If you have a really fast Internet connection then you can open the browser on your PS3 and go to speedtest.net.

If it maxes out your Internet connection then try the other method. If it doesn't then the download rate is your approxiamate transfer rate.

The other and probably more accurate way is open the media server and copy a large video file from the media server to your PS3 hard drive ( press the triangle button when on a video file and select copy).

Then go to your PC and open up the windows task manager and go the networking tab. There you see a percentage under network utilization that flactuates a little.

If your PC ethernet connection is 100 mbps and your network utilization is between 10 to 15% then the transfer rate should be around 10 to 15 mpbs.

Obiviously you shouldn't be running any other programs that is using the ethernet connection on your PC to get a good estimate.

If you get near or over 20 mpbs then you should be good for streaming most HD content.

For me the built in wifi on my launch day PS3 was pretty weak. I usually only got around 3-5 mpbs and the PS3 was only 10 feet from the router.

I then bought a 5ghz Dual Band Wireless N Ethernet Bridge to go along with my router. Now it gets between 40-60 mpbs.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

So if I got a "5ghz Dual Band Wireless N Ethernet Bridge" to go along with my wireless-n router would that do the trick?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt1976 View Post

So if I got a "5ghz Dual Band Wireless N Ethernet Bridge" to go along with my wireless-n router would that do the trick?

Your wireless n router have to support 5ghz and dual band first in order for you to take full benefit of something like that.

Also you note that while the speeds are generally faster on 5 ghz, the range is more limited than 2.4 ghz.

The best thing to do is see fast your connection is when you get your PS3 and then go from there. It's possible the built in wireless g is fast enough in your conditions.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks very much for your help.

I'm about to do a test with a laptop now... Is any particular file type more suiatble for this type of thing?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

With the current wireless-g setup it'll stream full movie 720 mkv's & m2ts upto file sizes of 4GB from the PC to a laptop and there is no noticeable stuttering.

1080 files show significant playback problems and are unwatchable - even when the laptop is connected with an ethernet.

As the TV is only 720 anyway, this isn't a problem.

Thanks again,

Nick
post #8 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Liked: 11
FWIW, I tried to go wireless in the bedroom but it always stuttered on 720p content. It would be fine for a while, but as the show or movie progressed, it usually went from OK, to bad, then to unwatchable. I ran CAT5 to the bedroom and have not looked back. I didn't have the wife's permission either, but, its easier to just do it and get forgiveness later. I planned my route up 2 flights from the basement, used a small track type deal to hide the cord and ran it along the baseboards. The stuff is paintable and you really can't see it.

If wireless gives you grief like it did me, $10 monoprice cable and some planning goes a long way!!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM

Liked: 11
I had stuttering with a N router and a hi-def movie. So I just copied the movie to my PS3 harddrive and watch it with no hiccups.

I came...I saw...I bought an HDTV
PSN ID: dlawso235

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page