ps3 Dolby Digital problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, so I got a ps3 (yay!) and hooked everything up ive got the hdmi feeding my tv and the optical cable going to my HK AVR55, the receiver is about 9 years old and only does DD, no dts, this has never been a problem with my 360 or regular old 50 dollar dvd player sending 5.1 with the optical cable, in all honesty, for a 5.1 receiver this thing is sweet and i have no need to upgrade, well, that is until now possibly, ive gone into the ps3 menus and changed the settings to optical-bitstream and all that, so lets get one thing straight, everything else works fine with my home theater except the ps3, now when i play a blu ray i only get audio in DD in the previews,.... i get nothing when the film starts, with a regular dvd in the ps3 my receiver automatically goes to prologic but no DD, ive talked to sony and they say its my receiver which makes me want to jump out of my skin due to the fact that it works fine with everything else, the only conclusion im at right now is that the ps3 and my receiver are incompatible, which i wouldnt put past sony to do. Now this isnt a big deal with regular dvds cause ill just continue to use my old dvd player and have 5.1 fine, but i'd really like to play a blu ray with DD and not pro logic, any help would be immensely appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Unless they changed something in the firmware, the PS3 can not send out dd via hdm and the optical cable at the same time.
The setting make it sound like you can but I can not do it with mine either.
Sorry I am no help but I am in the same shoes as you.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It should work. Check your settings again.

Sound Settings> Audio Output Settings> Optical Digital> DD 5.1 Ch. > move over one screen to the right and press x to save

Video Settings> BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) > Bitstream
post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

when i pause the movie the menu comes up and at the top right corner it tells me the audio format, ive got sleepy hollow in, it says Dolby Digital 2 ch. 48 khz 192kbps, now when this disk is in anything else its 5.1 no problem, so it is definetly something with the ps3, now its just a matter of figuring out what......why did they make this so ridiculous, im also getting a popping sound from my rears... which only occurs with this setup
post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

in my audio setting when i go to sound settings-audio output settings--optical digital- now at this screen linear pcm 2 ch 44khz and 48khz are checked and greyed out, is that normal? I do also check DD 5.1 here as well and then save, and optical is set to bitstream, so right now all standard def dvds only do 2 channel and with blurays i get nothing
post #6 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that you have your PS3 settings right. Maybe you have to adjust settings in your receiver for the 3rd optical input. Try swapping optical inputs with your dvd player or 360, just to see if that is the case.

Edit: I reread your post. It's strange that you have DD in previews, but not in the actual movie itself for blu-rays. Try changing the audio options on the movie disc.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

aha, starting to make some progress lol, so with the bluray there is no option for the audio to change and it is only in dts once the movie starts unfortunately, but i was able to change the options with the regular dvd and now i got DD from the ps3, now my only issue is that the sound keeps cutting out, it doesnt do this if i bring the dvd and optic cable over to my dvd player and play it there, but its cutting in/out and my speakers are making a very subtle popping sound when i go back to the ps3, thanks for all the tips so far
post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

well i think we got it, i appreciate the help, i guess im just going to be out of luck with blurays that are only encoded in dts, guess i can start trying to convince my wife we could use a new receiver, im still getting a popping sound only from dvds, i notice it when i pause it, it doesnt happen when i pause games tho... but other than that at least ive got 5.1 with most things, just not some blurays, thanks mik
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
The popping and cut-outs sound like a loose or bad connection. If not, then it could be something worse. Try another cable. I know you said it works fine with other equipment, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to try another cable than to replace/fix something bigger.

I'm not sure what you're saying is happening with Bluray playback though. You're getting DTS but not DD? Also, pretty sure it's normal to only get a 2-channel signal in the menus (what your receiver does with that signal has everything to do with your postprocessing settings).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You can set the BD Output Format to Linear PCM instead of Bitream and let your PS3 do the decoding instead of your receiver. At least you'll be able to hear the audio (in stereo) on your DTS-only blu-ray.

http://www.fixya.com/support/p29819-...l-3022/page-27
post #11 of 14 Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotron View Post

Hey all, so I got a ps3 (yay!) and hooked everything up ive got the hdmi feeding my tv and the optical cable going to my HK AVR55, the receiver is about 9 years old and only does DD, no dts, this has never been a problem with my 360 or regular old 50 dollar dvd player sending 5.1 with the optical cable, in all honesty, for a 5.1 receiver this thing is sweet and i have no need to upgrade, well, that is until now possibly, ive gone into the ps3 menus and changed the settings to optical-bitstream and all that, so lets get one thing straight, everything else works fine with my home theater except the ps3, now when i play a blu ray i only get audio in DD in the previews,.... i get nothing when the film starts, with a regular dvd in the ps3 my receiver automatically goes to prologic but no DD, ive talked to sony and they say its my receiver which makes me want to jump out of my skin due to the fact that it works fine with everything else, the only conclusion im at right now is that the ps3 and my receiver are incompatible, which i wouldnt put past sony to do. Now this isnt a big deal with regular dvds cause ill just continue to use my old dvd player and have 5.1 fine, but i'd really like to play a blu ray with DD and not pro logic, any help would be immensely appreciated.

Unfortunately its most likely the receiver. I had a really nice Sony STR DE895 and a Sony rep admitted to me that the DD audio on blurays have too much bandwidth for the receiver to handle in bitstream. This was confirmed on the internet after extensive searching. I didn't like it at first but in the end it was worth it that I upgraded (sort of) my receiver to a Onkyo 605 for the HD audio formats.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #12 of 14 Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

hey guys, thanks for the help, yeah im currently kinda looking for a new receiver, not a big fan of the interface and setup configurations of the ps3 at all, i believe the all my problems are certainly on sony's end, but only due to the fact that they guaranteed everyone would have to upgrade everything to use it the way it was meant to be, i got it to work with regular dvd's so ill have to start searching for a good deal on a new receiver, thanks again.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
well i can confirm the ps3 will downconvert the dts audio to dd5.1 over optical. my setup is a 5.1 dts and dd reciever, and everything works fine. i recently took my ps3 to a friends house, and his receiver only does dd 5.1, no dts. i went to the menu, changed output to dd5.1 only, and every dts movie we watched worked just fine outputting to dd.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobotron View Post

i believe the all my problems are certainly on sony's end.

The reason it all works on your 360 and DVD player is because they don't have the ability to play your BD discs. So, in a roundabout way I guess you could say it's Sony's fault for being able to play the discs your other players can't play and that your receiver can't decode.

I believe you could use the composite cable your PS3 came with and use the audio output via the RCA connectors (same as setting the BD Output Format to Linear PCM instead of Bitream as stated before)
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page