Playstation Move - PS3's motion controllers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Available now. Check out the hilarious official Move website starring Kevin Butler for more details about the peripheral.

KEY FEATURES AND MEGA-FAQ:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
  • Works with PlayStation Eye camera to accurately track player position
  • Includes action buttons of DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS® wireless controller for direct input
  • Sleek and Wireless
  • Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
  • Advanced motion sensors in the controller precisely track both fast and subtle movements
  • Color of the sphere's light provides visual feedback during gameplay
  • Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions
  • Bluetooth® technology supports wireless gaming
  • Simultaneously use up to four motion controllers with a PS3 system
  • Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type A - Mini-B)
Official PS3 Move Mega-FAQ

Sony's on record regarding Move's response time. It's as fast as 22 milliseconds, which is slightly more than one frame in a 60 fps game, and less than one frame in a 30 fps game. That's while maintaining pixel-perfect accuracy. Here's a great tech demo of it in action.

THE CONTROLLER SETUP
Spoiler  
The PlayStation Move controller setup has three different parts -- the Move motion controller, the NavCon("Navigation Controller"), and the PlayStation Eye camera. The Move motion controller is necessary to play all games made for it.

Other titles have better gameplay for a player if two Moves are used simultaneously (like The Fight: Lights Out where you punch with both Move "fists"). For those titles, you can use the standard SIXAXIS motion controller that came with your PS3, but the input won't be as precise.

The Move motion controller itself is a standalone USB-rechargable controller that doesn't need to be hooked up to any other controllers like the DualShock 3. The motion controller contains the DualShock 3's four face buttons as well as the two additional buttons -- one on the face and a trigger below. The motion controller has 1:1 motion control along with pointing capabilities, rumble support, and a glowing orb atop the controller that can switch among at least hundreds of colors like pink, blue, green, and yellow.

The also-rechargable NavCon features an analog stick, directional pad, two face buttons, and L1, L2, and L3 buttons. The NavCon is not necessary for any games, as the Dual Shock 3 or SIXAXIS both have the same buttons located on the sub-controller and work 100% with all games that use the "NavCon".

The PlayStation Eye camera, released in 2007, is required for PlayStation Move games that track body movement. The sphere on top of the motion controller is specifically tracked by the Eye, allowing it to recognize the player when other people are in the camera's view.

MOVE PRICING, BUNDLES AND SPECIAL LAUNCH DEALS
Spoiler  
Have a PS3? Get the $99 bundle which comes with one Move, a PSEye, eleven demos of various games on a disc, and a copy of the Sports Champions game. This saves $10 from buying them separately.

Don't have a PS3? Get a 320 GB PS3 packaged with the Move bundle above for $350. This saves $50 from buying them all separately.

A Move alone is $50, the PSEye alone is $30, and the optional Navigation controller is $30 (remember - you can use a DualShock 3 instead of the NavCon). All Move-only games are $40 or less. Move-optional games like R.U.S.E can be any normal PS3 price.

~~~~

Launch deals:

- U.S. GameStop is giving customers an extra 25% credit on anything they trade in if they use it to buy Move stuff. So if they give you $10 credit for a game you hand over, you'll get $12.50 off of something Move related. I don't think there is a trade in limit.

- Also, GameStop is offering two Moves in a bundle for $80 (saves $20). That's a nice deal for those of you who own a PSEye already.

- For Canadians, here are some cool new Move bundle deals at GameStop (in-store only I believe). The posters in the stores say this:
Quote:

- Move Bundle for free ($100 value) when you trade in four select PS3, PSP, WII, DS and/or 360 games towards your pre-purchase (each game must be equal or greater than $8 trade in value)

- 50% trade credit towards the PlayStation Move or Navigation controller when you trade in any Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or Wii controller.

- $25 trade credit on select games when you trade towards the Playstation Move console bundle

- K-Mart has some nice in-store only deals for Move products starting 9/17/10:
Quote:

These deals will be available in stores only -- a coupon will print out when you complete your purchase -- and the coupons will be redeemable from 9/26 through 10/23.

* Get a $25 Kmart gaming coupon with every in-store purchase of a PlayStation Move bundle (This includes one PlayStation Move controller, one PlayStation Eye Camera and Sport Champions PS3 game) for $99.99

* Get a $40 Kmart gaming coupon with your in-store purchase of a PS3 system (320GB) and the aforementioned Move bundle for $399.99

* Get a $10 Kmart gaming coupon when you buy one of the following PS3 Move accessories in store: a PS3 Move controller, a PS3 Move Navigation controller or a PS3 Move charging station

* Get a $10 Kmart gaming coupon with the in-store purchase of Toy Story 3, Start the Party, Eye Pet, Kung Fu Rider or Sport Champions

DETAILED GAMEPLAY VIDEOS
Spoiler  
Here are some well-produced, detailed videos showing off some of the Move titles so you can see how they play while someone has the Move in hand:

KILLZONE 3

FLIGHT CONTROL HD

START THE PARTY

SPORTS CHAMPIONS

R.U.S.E.

XMB CONTROL

Lighting conditions and the Move:

OPTIONAL MOVE ACCESSORIES
Spoiler  
This is not a comprehensive list, but gives you an idea of optional stuff you can purchase for the Move controller.

~~~~

PSEye TV Clip to help secure it to the top of thin HDTVs:

Shooting Attachment raygun shell for "on-rails" shooters like Time Crisis and The Shoot:

Arc Blaster connects your Move and NavCon inside one uzi gun shell for action shoot 'em up games like SOCOM 4 and Resident Evil 5 Gold:

Sports Champions has its own accessory pack for $30:

Charging Station
, and there's a version for four Move gadgets as well:

Assault rifle shell:

FEATURED GAME PREVIEWS
Spoiler  
The following nine games are feature titles being published by Sony. LBP2 and SOCOM do not require the Move, but the gameplay is enhanced if you have one.

Move Party (video) is a minigame collection that uses the Move and the Eye to allow a player to perform quick actions like painting shapes, swatting bugs, popping balloons, and shaving heads.

TV Superstars (video) is a minigame collection that centers around performing on a reality show. Using the Move and the Eye, you can take part in American Gladiator-style feats of strength and agility or take part in an America's Next Top Model-esque fashion show.

Sports Champions (video 1, video2) is a sports minigame collection. Six games have been revealed so far -- an archery contest, a Roman-themed gladiator battle, ping-pong, volleyball, boccee, and disc golf.

The Fight (video) is a street-fighting game in which you use the motion controller (or optionally two of them) and Eye to move around, avoid getting hit, and attack your opponent with punches, grabs, and cheapshots like headbutts.

The Shoot (video) is a working title for a semi-on-rails shooter. In The Shoot, players point and shoot enemies in various films, including a space invasion movie, and a western. The Eye tracks player movement, so your character can move out of the path of incoming bullets and perform special moves when you swing the motion controller down or spin around in a circle.

Sony has been talking about the virtual pet simulator EyePet (video) for a while now, but with the introduction of the Move, players will be able to more tangibly play with their pet, using the motion controls to monitor their pet's heartbeat and health stats, bathe and clean them, and draw pictures that their pet will then learn how to draw themselves.

While SOCOM 4 (video) can be played with traditional controls, the addition of the Move allows the player to place beacons for teammates and aim by using the pointer.

A version of LittleBigPlanet (video) was shown in which one player controlled a Sackboy in a traditional method while the other used the Move to build, move, and rearrange parts of the environment. Move support for LittleBigPlanet will be provided via software update.
[/quote]

In Kung Fu Rider (video), your goal is to take Tobio (a straight-laced, tie-wearing nerd) or Karin (a lady in a revealing shirt/shorts outfit reminiscent of Street Fighter's Chun-Li) through the streets of Japan. Your mode of transportation? An office chair or the barrel part of a Shop-Vac you propel with your feet like a skateboard. As you fly down the road, you can jump, drift, limbo, kick and more in your quest to bank as much money as possible and get to the van waiting to pick you up at the end of the course.

MY INITIAL MOVE IMPRESSIONS:
Spoiler  
I still only have had the demos to try out after one weekend of play, so I have nothing more than impressions to speak on as of now.

Move+PSEye: I can tell already that this new setup accomplishes the main goal I had for wanting it - improve aiming in games over the right thumb stick. I've refused to play certain online game modes on console (i.e. vs. modes in 1st/3rd person shooters) because I don't have nearly enough precision to aim quickly and accurately with the analog controls as I do with the mouse on PC, and even better with a light gun in the arcades.

From what I can tell using the demos of a bunch of 1st-gen Move games, I'll be more than satisfied with the motion controllers for this purpose. That's not to say that it matches them in all areas, but it is far, far better than what we've had to deal with on HD consoles.

So any gripes I may have about the hardware here and there (software results vary of course) I'll keep in perspective, especially considering that:
  1. True light gun setups are extremely laggy on HDTVs (i.e. Time Crisis 4's first PS3 release),
  2. There will never be an easy solution for most consumers to enjoy playing with a mouse from their couches, and
  3. The bonus immersion aspect of using the Move for certain action genres is not unlike the immersive effect of using a steering wheel over an analog nub for driving games - it helps game play feel that much more realistic when done reasonably well.
I am still playing around with different setups with the PSEye. On top of my HDTV works great for standing motion games, but I'm still testing whether it works just as well if I play sitting games. If not, I can easily put it below my set. Playing the Eyepet demo though requires I put it about a foot or two above the ground, so there may be three positions I use.

The image quality for games that project you on the screen with the PSEye for me is grainier than the iWaggle videos I've linked to, but still not as bad as some very grainy pics and vids I've seen on the 'net. It all comes down to lighting, but the function of the arrangement works perfectly regardless of the quality of lights. I'll have to check my light wattage and decide if I want the room a bit brighter if I think I want to improve on this.

The Move itself is well designed as everyone says. I can click any button easily, and I'm very happy the Start/Select buttons are recessed and placed high and to the side of the controller. Motion gaming can be intense, but I've only accidentally hit Start once because of the arrangement.

Controlling the Move works really well in general, and the quality of the experience seems to depend on the software being using (again, I'm playing demos). Yes, you have to calibrate at specific times to keep it all lined up nicely, but it is not a major issue as it takes a few seconds.

One thing I'm learning though is how to calibrate properly. It's not perfectly clear sometimes IMHO and I sometimes recalibrate with adjustments to get the "feel" that I think is right.

For instance, with calibration that needs you to first put the Move at your shoulder height, then straight down, and then at your belt level, I found out that copying the example picture shown in the shoulder section has the Move too high near his ear. When I did it that way, my aim in-game was too high. Once I re-calibrated lower with the Move at my shoulder height like the text itself says, it aimed perfectly. This was all done standing with the PSEye on top of my 60" HDTV (chin height, aimed down). So if something isn't feeling right to you, take the time to make your own manual adjustments to see what works better, then jot it down for future reference.

~~~

Sports Champions demo: it's only disc golf (one hole) and table tennis (two 'Bronze' difficulty opponents) but I can already tell that this game is as amazing as a ton of gamers on the 'net have been saying.

I'm a solid TT player in real life and even with the assists on (they come off at harder difficulties in the full release) I am amazed at the precision of the 1:1 paddle movement, paddle acceleration, and paddle orientation. I can see how gamers who are bad at TT will be terrible in this sub-game once they reach the more realistic settings unless they improve, You have sooooo much control over the every aspect of your hits that this game mode alone would be a must-buy for me if sold separately. Honestly speaking, it is legit to call Table Tennis with the Move a sim game - it's really THAT good. Too bad there's no online though, but at least it allows local competition via split screen.

The Disc Golf demo is nice and relaxing, and it mimics my lifelong bad habit of throwing with a angled hook instead of straight flat tosses. I plan to play this for a month or so, and then take out a Frisbee outside to see if I've made any improvements. I'm looking forward to the Gladiator mode the most once my full copy arrives this week. I hear that one Move controller works fine in Gladiator, Archery and Volleyball, but that two is more immersive and fun; that'll be the arrangement I'll review later on.

Overall, even based on a very limited preview I can say confidently that any player with a slight interest in the "virtual reality" aspect of motion gaming will be very pleased with Sports Champions. Sony made a great choice in adding it to their package as it really captures the fun of these activities almost as if you were doing them in real life.

Eyepet demo - this is not a game for gamers. At least not the stereotypical gamer. For me it has little appeal since I like objective or competitive titles, not virtual life games, even if they have a lot of mini-activities like this one is said to have in full retail (you only do three things in the demo).

That said, when I handed it over to my seven year old daughter, her face lit up and she had a HUGE grin on her face the entire time. She doesn't really play video games, but fell in love with Eyepet and is hyped up when telling everyone who will listen all about it. She really, really once me to get it so eventually I'll be sure to do it.

Start the Party - It's a lot more engaging to me as a gamer than Eyepet, and the whole family had a blast with this game (even the wife kept laughing). It's a well made party game with simple but effective controls. For solo gamers, you may want to pass, but with friends it can be surprisingly competitive in a whack a mole kind of way. The graphics are top tier in its cartoony style, and augmented reality allows everyone to see on the big screen how silly you look. There are twenty mini-games in the final (more than some pro reviews say), but only two in the demo.

Echochrome II demo - Is a very unique puzzler as the videos show. I can't comment much more than to say the flashlight/shadow concept works because there is no real challenge in the few demo tutorial levels I've tried. If it has some really puzzling levels, then it could be worth a look.

Tumble demo- This is a puzzle game that shows potential with the Move while still being a lot of fun. The implementation of true 3D movement with precision (it requires movement on the Z-axis) really makes you think about how fantastic games like this must work on 3D TVs if they have that feature. I plan to pick it up down the line.

TV Superstars demo - what a dud of a demo. The production values are nice and its party atmosphere is solid for engaging casuals I suppose, but this collection of TV-themed mini games is very poorly done, and I've only tried out three events. The fashion show game is a follow-the-motion-with-the-Move exercise (a la Elite Beat Agents on the DS) to mimic a Vogue dance routine, but it feels sloppy in how it is put together. Besides, I don't like my characters with my face on it wearing pink.

They have a Pain! cannonball launch mode that is very inaccurate and confusing. I hit the target and get a great score, then I hit a target and get a poor score. Finally is a treadmill exercise where you run in place (or just use your arms to run) and jump over obstacles. This was decent and gives you a little workout, but not enough to get me interested, and not enough to recommend for kids or casuals.

The Shoot demo - The summary impression I have is that the Move controls in this demo isn't as "exact" as I had hoped for, but still far better than if I used the analog stick. I don't want to use this as the definitive light gun game because future releases in the rail-shooter genre may make improvements, but I was initially looking for spot-on, insta-aim and shoot mechanics and this demo is not at that level. You instead are quickly dragging the cursor to the target like you would do if you played a light gun game with your mouse on a PC. It works as well as mouse aim does, but with this title I wanted a bit more. Maybe this is something to be improved in future rail releases, or the final game itself.

With that said, you still feel as if you are gun shooting and it still controls well overall. The play mechanics in this game are casual friendly (no reloading), and there is a lot of damage you can do shooting random background stuff. The more I played, the more I simply enjoyed having a rails game at home and it is really a lot of fun (two stages in the demo). BTW, one feature I like is that if you aim at the center of your screen at any time and hit the O button, it calibrates in that brief moment. I'll be picking this up this game for sure.

Beat Sketcher demo - painting with music. Not for me, but kids and creative types will love it. As you create, your strokes makes musical sounds, and then get auto plugged into the beat that plays in the background. I imagine no two songs are alike since everyone will draw something different. There are a lot of art tools to use, and if the full game is, say, $5 or so and you have kids, give it a try.

Racquet Sports demo - it's mostly gesture based in the demo so it may be easier for younger kids, but compared to Sports Champions it falls way short. I won't be getting this.

Kung Fu Rider demo - I want to like this, and right now am on the fence. I agree with what I heard in that this is a game that would be fine with the normal Dual Shock 3 controller. Motion controls don't seem to add much to it, but I'll hold off on judgment until I master the demo. I like the concept and characters, and for an arcade like title it would be a fun buy at, say $20 if it can be controlled as accurately as I expect with practice. At $40 though, I'm not feeling it either way unless there were 10-12 courses.

~~~~~~~

I hear R.U.S.E. with Move really, really controls well for an RTS, but I didn't try it out yet. I sold my Resident Evil 5 awhile back, but may get RE5: Gold since it is $30 at Best Buy this week since I liked the game and hear good things about the accuracy of Move aiming with it. The Time Crisis Razing Storm demo will be in my bundle next week, so I look forward to testing it.

Overall I'm very happy with the Move itself... a solid 9/10 score. The games vary in quality and motion control implementation (like with everything), and I'm looking forward to more titles that are coming out that make use of this controller.

~~~~~~

COMPLETE LIST OF MOVE SUPPORTED TITLES
Spoiler  
This is a list of all Move required and supported titles. I'll try to keep it up to date.

A single '*' denotes a game that requires the Move controller as far as I can tell. These games will cost $40 (retail) or less (PSN). Two '**' means that the gameplay is enhanced for one player if he optionally uses two Moves simultaneously.

Launch - Sept. 17, 2010:
Brunswick Pro Bowling
EyePet *
Kung Fu Rider *
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
R.U.S.E.
Sports Champions **
Start The Party! *
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010
Toy Story 3
Tumble *

September 2010:
echochrome ii *
Flight Control HD *
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest

October 2010:
Buzz! The Ultimate Music Quiz
The Fight: Lights Out **
Heavy Rain
High Velocity Bowling
Hustle Kings
Kung Fu Live (PSEye)
NBA 2K 11
PAIN
The Shoot *
Time Crisis: Razing Storm *
TV Superstars *
Swords & Soldiers

November 2010:
Create
Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos
Disney Tron: Evolution
LittleBigPlanet 2
Michael Jackson: The Experience *
SingStar Dance *
Sly Collection

Fall 2010:
Beat Sketcher *
Dungeon Defenders
LittleBigPlanet
M.A.G.
Dance Dance Revolution *
John Daly's ProStroke Golf
Planet Minigolf
Racquet Sports *
Under Siege *
Zumba Fitness *

2011:
Dead Space Extraction (January)
Killzone 3 (February)
Sorcery (Spring) *
Heroes on the Move (Spring) *
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (Spring)

Flower
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise *
Ignite
Plain Sight *
SOCOM 4
Soaked! *
UFC Trainer
Until Dawn
Virtua Tennis 4

Likely but unconfirmed:
Ape Escape (unconfirmed for U.S. release) *
Child of Eden (unconfirmed Move support)
Metal Gear Solid: Rising (unconfirmed Move support)
Ni no Kuni (unconfirmed Move support or U.S. release)
Disaster Report 4 (unconfirmed for U.S. release)
inFamous 2 (Sucker Punch confirms they are looking into it)

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Socom 4 using Move looks interesting.

Lets see how innovative they get with this thing.

Price appears to be under $100 for a bundle, maybe the individual unit will be around $40.

PSN: Krelic
post #3 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks very interesting... I may fork out the cash if there are enough titles that support it properly. If it becomes too much like the Wii where there is more shovel-ware than good stuff, then I'll pass. SOCOM looks promising.
post #4 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Time to sell my Wii, no one in my family plays it anyhow.

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #5 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a replay of the show. The PSMove stuff starts at about the 9:30 mark.

post #6 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I don't think I will go for SOCOM 4, but a Resistance 3 or something like that and I am in day one. I've been looking forward to the day when we get pointer controls on a HD system with HD games.
post #7 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sony will have at least 20 new games that are either dedicated or support the Move tech. Here are 36 developers who are working on it as well:

505 Games U.S.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
AQ INTERACTIVE Inc.
ARC SYSTEMS WORK CO.,LTD
ATLUS Co., LTD.
Bigben Interactive
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
CCP
Crave Entertainment
CYBERFRONT Corporation
Disney Interactive Studios
Electronic Arts Inc.
FromSoftware, Inc.
Game Republic, Inc.
GUST CO., LTD.
HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD.
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
Koei Co., Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Majesco Entertainment
Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
ONGAKUKAN Co., Ltd.
Oxygen Games
PAON CORPORATION
Q Entertainment Inc.
Q-GAMES, LTD.
SEGA CORPORATION
Sony Online Entertainment
Spike Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX GROUP
TECMO, LTD.
THQ Inc.
UBISOFT
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Zoo Entertainment, Inc.

post #8 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a preview of TV Superstars for the PSMove:

Quote:
One of the games being shown off is a title coming from the capable folks at Sony Cambridge. Tentatively titled TV Superstars, this party-style game puts players into the shoes of a reality TV show contestant hunting for the very specific form of fame and glory that comes from winning a series of completely unrelated challenges. Although TV Superstars hasn't reached Alpha stage yet, the demo on display was still a riot, especially as I watched my friend and colleague Ryan Scott (from GameSpy fame) create an avatar and then compete in a fake reality fashion show. Priceless.

TV Superstars allows users to take a few photos using the PlayStation Eye and then map those photos to their avatar's face. This creates a hilarious in-game character that can look either charming or horrifying, depending on the photos taken. Once an avatar is made, players jump right into a selection screen that, for now, has two different fake reality TV shows to participate in. "frockstar" is a fashion show which Ryan Scott happily competed in, while I tried my hand at "Let's Get Physical," which is a combination of American Gladiators and quirky Japanese TV shows that we all know and love.

In frockstar, Ryan was tasked with walking down a runway with maximum style, trying on outlandish outfits and applying Avatar-like makeup. Clearly this is not to be taken too seriously.

Once frockstar was complete, I stepped up to the plate to compete in Let's Get Physical. This series of mini-games had me running along a giant spinning wheel (complete with dangerous obstacles), painting a canvas to match a pre-made piece of art, and firing my avatar through the air in order to fit through a chalk outline printed on a wall. All these tasks were done using the PlayStation Move technology, which means one-to-one movement recognition with very little lag to speak of.

As this was my first time with the technology, I was surprised by the precision involved. This controller not only detects pointing motions (similar to pointing on the screen with a Wii Remote), but it also measures depth, rotation and side-to-side movement. In other words, anywhere you move your hand, your in-game avatar will follow. This was especially evident when I played a tech demo that was first shown at Sony's E3 press conference. In the demo, players are given full control of a variety of items, including a sword, gun, tennis racket, whip and flashlight, and can move those items around in a virtual space. Although it might sound very straight-forward, this tech demo was actually quite compelling because the motion recognition really is accurate.

post #9 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a recap of the games shown:

Quote:
According to the block of info posted on European PlayStation Blog, there are a lot more PlayStation Move games out there to be seen than tonight's press release let on. Beyond the already revealed support for Move in SOCOM 4, LittleBigPlanet and EyePet, a whole mess of games were shown off at Sony's GDC event, from Move Party (um, a party game) to Slider (Mirror's Edge meets Pain?) to a Western shooter in The Shoot. (We've dropped a screen of Sports Champion above -- a game we think looks particularly fantastic.)

Oh, and the Euro Blog's mention of "DUKES" is just another name for that Motion Fighter game, which was mentioned onstage during this evening's press event -- so cool your heels and put the Jump to Conclusion mat back away. (We do rather like the name "Dukes," we'll admit; though we've been told it's a regional thing, and us North Americans are likely stuck with "Motion Fighter" instead.) We've yet to confirm which studios are developing which games, but you can be sure we'll ask Sony just as soon as we can. Here's the complete list of PlayStation Move titles that we know of, though, for now:

* Sports Champion
* The Shoot
* Slider
* TV Superstars
* Move Party
* Motion Fighter

post #10 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...controller.ars

no mention of the Ars preview article?
post #11 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is a video and pics of "The Shoot", which is a compilation of on-rails light gun games:

post #12 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM

The archery has sold me. Still hoping for a castle defense Lord of the Rings style.
post #13 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. This looks better than I anticipated. Can't wait!

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #14 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speng9 View Post

Price appears to be under $100 for a bundle, maybe the individual unit will be around $40.

Well PS eye is $40 and bundles are slightly cheaper than the some of their parts so I'm going with at least $50

Either way not too bad of an investment

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #15 of 1141 Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Has it been confirmed that the wand and sub-controller both have rumble? That is absolutely critical as far as I'm concerned. I don't need the wand to have a speaker like the wii-mote, but rumble is a must.

The other big question I have, is will Playstation Move work in a totally dark room? (well totally dark other than the light in the room coming from the front projector) I know Natal will work in bad lighting conditions, but I have no idea if the Playstation Eye will. I do remember that the eyetoy really sucked from a standpoint of needing absolutely perfect lighting, and a perfect background for it to understand what was going on.

I can't wait to see a Virtua Tennis game on the PS3 using this. I want a "real' tennis game with HD graphics, and extremely high accuracy in the movements. I'm also interested in how MLB 11: The Show is going to incorporate Move. Obviously, I would think the default controls will be the normal controller setup, but I would think they could have Move controls as a selectable option.
post #16 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

- Confirmed to have rumble!

- The PS-Eye was advertised early on to have made improvements over the Eye Toy in low light situations. We'll see what the combo of the Move plays like, but I doubt you need a fully lit room.

- As for future tennis sims, I'm sure that they will end up being a decent representation of the sport. Here's a write up on the early table tennis demo and it sounds promising:

Quote:

Once the ball was in action, though, it was an amazing experience, perfectly detecting how I held the paddle to let me serve up slices and spins with perfect precision. It also did a great job of knowing where I was standing in relation to the table, so when I stepped back to lob a shot it reacted perfectly and when I crowded the table to slam the ball that worked too.

post #17 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A Lord of the Rings action brawler is being upgraded from the Wii for the PS3 Move... LotR: Aragon's Quest.

Quote:

The game sees players taking control of the titular hero during his journeys to protect the Hobbit ringbearers on their quest to destroy the soul-corrupting One Ring and vanquish the evil Dark Lord Sauron. The cheerfully hued game will feature "a friendly, colorful rendition of Middle-Earth" and see players engaging in sword fights, lancing, and archery.

post #18 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1up video Interview with Sony about the future plans for Move.

Direct feed video of The Shoot

Eyepet + Move video

post #19 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Sony will have at least 20 new games that are either dedicated or support the Move tech. Here are 36 developers who are working on it as well:

FromSoftware, Inc.

Yes. Very yes.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #20 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And this time, Sony had better publish their game here in the U.S.!

Key features for Move:

Quote:

* Works with PlayStation Eye camera to accurately track player position
* Includes action buttons of DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS® wireless controller for direct input
* Sleek and Wireless
* Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
* Advanced motion sensors in the controller precisely track both fast and subtle movements
* Color of the sphere's light provides visual feedback during gameplay
* Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions
* Bluetooth® technology supports wireless gaming
* Simultaneously use up to four motion controllers with a PS3 system
* Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type A - Mini-B)

post #21 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It looks like many of the activities -- archery, boxing, sword combat -- require a single player to use two controllers, i.e. two wands with light spheres, rather than a wand and a subcontroller. So I'd need to buy two Moves?
post #22 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Move trailer

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #23 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

SOCOM 4 will be Move compatabile. I've never played a game in this series, but I'll be getting it day one for the improved aiming controls :

As long as the motion controls do not make it into online it will be alright, also that cover system doesn't look promising either, but that's a topic for a different thread.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #24 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

What? No vibrator comparison jokes? Come on!!

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #25 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post

As long as the motion controls do not make it into online it will be alright, also that cover system doesn't look promising either, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Isn't Socom MP only?

Any more news besides Move?

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #26 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcher View Post

What? SOCOM is a multiplayer-focused game. Of course the motion controls are going to be enabled for multiplayer.

If it gives motion control players an advantage, that's good for Sony, because all the SOCOM players will buy it. If not, they will use the DS3 as before.

Quote:

The PS-Eye was advertised early on to have made improvements over the Eye Toy in low light situations. We'll see what the combo of the Move plays like, but I doubt you need a fully lit room.

From what I read, the "orb" on the Move changes colors based on the colors in the room. It's probably designed like that to help the PS Eye. I doubt low light will be a problem.
post #27 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Isn't Socom MP only?

Nopes..the new Socom will have SP campaign as well.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #28 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

It looks like many of the activities -- archery, boxing, sword combat -- require a single player to use two controllers, i.e. two wands with light spheres, rather than a wand and a subcontroller. So I'd need to buy two Moves?

If you ever play with friends, won't you need 2 of them anyway?

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #29 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

What? SOCOM is a multiplayer-focused game. Of course the motion controls are going to be enabled for multiplayer.

If it gives motion control players an advantage, that's good for Sony, because all the SOCOM players will buy it. If not, they will use the DS3 as before.

From what I read, the "orb" on the Move changes colors based on the colors in the room. It's probably designed like that to help the PS Eye. I doubt low light will be a problem.

That's what I was thinking. The orb glows, so it probably doesn't need the room to be lit. If anything, it might work better in lower light conditions b/c the orb will be more visible than anything else in a dark room.

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #30 of 1141 Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Isn't Socom MP only?

Nope, all SOCOM's have had single player besides the most recent SOCOM that was done by Slant Six instead of Zipper. SOCOM 4 is rumored to have 15 single player mission that are also available for online co-op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Probably good for Sony's motion control, but probably bad for most players that have been playing the SOCOM series for a while, which is probably bad for the game. I know if it gave those players an advantage it could turn me away from buying the game. Still lots of time and information to come yet though, so we'll see how it all plays out.

PSN = Hatcher14
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page